This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-11-10 17:41:19

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Balancing privacy and transparency....

We've recently been talking about transparency in the moderator's forum. To me, transparency means being open about how we think about things and the actions we take based on that thinking. Transparency is very important in lots of realms: government, the judicial system, and of course in online communities. When people can clearly see what's going on, they can feel confident about their choice to support or disagree with something.

One area in which we've chosen not to be transparent is actions taken with specific accounts that have done something that goes against the Terms of Use -i.e. warnings, banning, that sort of thing. We made the choice to keep this private between us and the account holder because we felt it would be unfair to to publicly call people out. We want Scratchers who've done stuff that's outside the TOU to know what is or isn't ok, but not in a way that could be embarrassing or humiliating.

But this has a cost. When Scratchers flag or report people for leaving mean comments or inappropriate projects, they never receive confirmation that we've done anything about it.  On any given day, several people are browsing the site, keeping an eye on flags, reports, and contact us messages. We take reports seriously, and take action when we feel it's necessary. But because these actions aren't transparent, Scratchers don't usually know about them. That's probably why you hear stories about Scratch Team banning someone for no reason, or the opposite - not doing anything when somebody is obviously being mean or inappropriate. Sometimes Scratchers who feel this way take things into their own hands and start flaming back against the flamer, which usually just gets them banned as well.

So - in the interest of improving transparency, I thought I'd make this thread so at least our thinking about this is clear. And if you have any questions or ideas about this, our or policies in general, we'd love to hear them, and will do our best to answer transparently (but nothing about specific accounts please, for reasons described above).

Thanks!

Last edited by Lightnin (2010-11-12 08:43:07)

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#2 2010-11-10 23:18:58

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Re: Balancing privacy and transparency....

Very well written.  big_smile

Just a silly thought: Maybe once you've taken action (eg. removed a bad comment that someone flagged), Scratch could send an automated message to the user that flagged the object, thanking them for helping out? That way people would know if something was taken care of or not, and it shouldn't bother the Scratch Team much, since the message could be automated.

EDIT: Oh, wait... if you report someone that gets banned, what happens?

EDIT: Oh, but the automated message doesn't have to mention it - it could just be something simple like "The object you flagged has been taken care of. Thanks for helping out!"...

EDIT: Wait, but if you flagged multiple objects (let's say five) and you get three of those notifications, you won't know what objects were taken care of... well, the automated message could say what was taken care of, but if you reported a user it would make it quite obvious that the user was banned.

So many edits  yikes
(Doesn't this belong in Announcements? It isn't a suggestion (unless you're suggesting that people understand better), and I think people would see it better in Announcements.  tongue )

EDIT: Oh, but the topic name explains...  tongue  But I still think it could be in Announcements.  smile

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-11-10 23:27:41)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#3 2010-11-11 16:48:46

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Jonathanpb wrote:

Just a silly thought: Maybe once you've taken action (eg. removed a bad comment that someone flagged), Scratch could send an automated message to the user that flagged the object, thanking them for helping out? That way people would know if something was taken care of or not, and it shouldn't bother the Scratch Team much, since the message could be automated.

EDIT: Oh, but the automated message doesn't have to mention it - it could just be something simple like "The object you flagged has been taken care of. Thanks for helping out!"...

EDIT: Wait, but if you flagged multiple objects (let's say five) and you get three of those notifications, you won't know what objects were taken care of... well, the automated message could say what was taken care of, but if you reported a user it would make it quite obvious that the user was banned.

So many edits  yikes
(Doesn't this belong in Announcements? It isn't a suggestion (unless you're suggesting that people understand better), and I think people would see it better in Announcements.  tongue )

EDIT: Oh, but the topic name explains...  tongue  But I still think it could be in Announcements.  smile

Heh, I agree - this should go in Announcements.  smile

Anyhow, it's difficult to get an "automated" message out. Because often, one moderator will say "WHATWHATWHATWHATWHAT DO I DO!?" and try to solve it. Soon, another moderator will step in and continue working on the issue. The system would never know what is finished... Although I do like your suggestion. I can't speak for the main website, though, because I haven't a clue what goes on there.

Regardless, I think there is a balance that should be made between letting the user know things have been taken care of and actually taking care of it while preserving the privacy of the guilty. It's something that could be difficult to find an equilibrium with, though not altogether impossible. Perhaps a simple message after reporting could do the trick?

#4 2010-11-11 18:11:04

Lightnin
Scratch Team

coolstuff wrote:

I can't speak for the main website, though, because I haven't a clue what goes on there.

Feel free to ask questions! Or should I give a general overview of how flagging works?

#5 2010-11-11 18:18:43

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

What about when you don't reply to emails for months

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#6 2010-11-11 21:02:33

XplodingEggs
Scratcher

Very well written! I'll say more later.
Edit: Okay, I'm back, after going to my guitar lesson and replying to the 15 replys on my thread, I'm finally ready to give feedback. Here goes:
I think its good that nobody knows about you banning somebody; that's something I think we all like. But, I think it would be a bit more helpful to people, so they didn't get too anxious, if you sent a message to the person who reported it about how it has happened. But here's another suggestion entirely:
When somebody flags a post, they send a message to the mod/scratch team. (same as before). Instead of simply taking care of the problem, they message back the person who sent it, saying that they are helping it. Obviously, they would remain anonymous, so the person doesn't go blabbing to the rest of the community that "So and so just took care of my problem, and banned so and so!". The mod/team member fixing the problem, would, ask the scratcher for further information on the problem, if needed. They would then proceed to fix the problem, and when they were done, send another message to the scratcher saying that the problem is fixed. This would probably be done through notifications, and there would be a reply button near it, so you could reply like a comment. If the person was not online when somebody got to it, then they would simply send an email, with the same circumstances as above, asking for information. This would help the mod/scratch team member to know what course of action to take, as well as to relieve the person who is flagging the comment/project/post/user or some anxiety.
Hope you like it!

Last edited by XplodingEggs (2010-11-11 23:26:16)

http://i54.tinypic.com/102kqr7.jpg

#7 2010-11-11 22:28:18

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Blade-Edge wrote:

It's interesting - lots of times we get emails saying "Please actually reply to this!" So it's clear a lot of people think that we usually don't. Actually - we pretty much always do reply - to almost every message.

There are, of course, exceptions:
1. When the person writing the email uses a lot of profanity, or is otherwise clearly disrespectful towards us or anyone else, really.

2.  When we have evidence that the person sending the message is trying to game or mislead us in some way, or has otherwise exhausted their integrity.

These exceptions can run the range between funny and just plain weird. We don't respond because we don't think it makes sense to feed those dynamics.

But these exceptions are very rare - so I'd say we respond to about 99% or better of the messages sent to us. Of course, we may miss one or two by accident now and then (we get a lot), but that too seems pretty rare. If you know someone who hasn't received a response (and whose message doesn't fall into one of the above categories), by all means please ask them to send it again.

#8 2010-11-11 22:51:22

Chrischb
Scratcher

*reads*

I just don't know what to say. xP

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#9 2010-11-11 23:08:05

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

So many edits  yikes

Heh, I agree - this should go in Announcements.  smile

Anyhow, it's difficult to get an "automated" message out. Because often, one moderator will say "WHATWHATWHATWHATWHAT DO I DO!?" and try to solve it. Soon, another moderator will step in and continue working on the issue. The system would never know what is finished... Although I do like your suggestion. I can't speak for the main website, though, because I haven't a clue what goes on there.

Regardless, I think there is a balance that should be made between letting the user know things have been taken care of and actually taking care of it while preserving the privacy of the guilty. It's something that could be difficult to find an equilibrium with, though not altogether impossible. Perhaps a simple message after reporting could do the trick?

At your first paragraph: Maybe when a moderator feels that the issue has been sorted out, they click a button that sends the message? Oh wait, that doesn't really solve what you're saying...

At your second paragraph: Ooh, so when you report something you instantly get an automated message like "Thank you for reporting, we'll take care of it"?  big_smile  That would be awesome (even though I'm not sure why  tongue )!  big_smile   big_smile   big_smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#10 2010-11-12 06:11:17

12three
Scratcher

Well said.  smile

#11 2010-11-12 11:16:31

Wolfie1996
Retired Community Moderator

Jonathanpb wrote:

At your second paragraph: Ooh, so when you report something you instantly get an automated message like "Thank you for reporting, we'll take care of it"?  big_smile  That would be awesome (even though I'm not sure why  tongue )!  big_smile   big_smile   big_smile

I think there's already something like that - I noticed that, when I flagged a project about a week ago, it took me to a page that said something along the lines of "Thanks for helping to keep the website safe - someone will take a look at it for you"... I'm not sure if the same happens for comments, though  hmm  Having one on the comments would be nice, though!  big_smile

"...Jargon - the practice of never calling a spade a spade, when you might instead call it a manual earth-restructing implement..." - Bill Bryson, Mother Tongue

#12 2010-11-12 17:36:18

Chrischb
Scratcher

Wolfie1996 wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

I think there's already something like that - I noticed that, when I flagged a project about a week ago, it took me to a page that said something along the lines of "Thanks for helping to keep the website safe - someone will take a look at it for you"... I'm not sure if the same happens for comments, though  hmm  Having one on the comments would be nice, though!  big_smile

+1 Flagging a comment feels like a little matter when it's just "click ok" - some people intentionally flag innocent comments as a joke.  sad

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#13 2010-11-12 18:09:07

TheSaint
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

It's interesting - lots of times we get emails saying "Please actually reply to this!" So it's clear a lot of people think that we usually don't. Actually - we pretty much always do reply - to almost every message.

There are, of course, exceptions:
1. When the person writing the email uses a lot of profanity, or is otherwise clearly disrespectful towards us or anyone else, really.

2.  When we have evidence that the person sending the message is trying to game or mislead us in some way, or has otherwise exhausted their integrity.

These exceptions can run the range between funny and just plain weird. We don't respond because we don't think it makes sense to feed those dynamics.

But these exceptions are very rare - so I'd say we respond to about 99% or better of the messages sent to us. Of course, we may miss one or two by accident now and then (we get a lot), but that too seems pretty rare. If you know someone who hasn't received a response (and whose message doesn't fall into one of the above categories), by all means please ask them to send it again.

Actually, I never got an email back for one message I sent, asking about an automatic removal of one of my projects (Some people flagged a year old project, and it was autotaken off, but it had been up for a year...), but the issue was resolved and the project put back up. Which was fine by me, and so I never pursued it.

#14 2010-11-12 19:45:45

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

I have another question
Why are off-site actions reasons to ban on the site?

#15 2010-11-12 20:24:27

XplodingEggs
Scratcher

Blade-Edge wrote:

I have another question

Like what? I've never know that to happen.  hmm

#16 2010-11-12 20:53:46

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Chrischb wrote:

+1 Flagging a comment feels like a little matter when it's just "click ok" - some people intentionally flag innocent comments as a joke.  sad

Abuse of the flagging system is strongly frowned upon by ST. When a comment is flagged and removed, we get a message with the comment and a link to the project / gallery page. If someone flags a comment that isn't inappropriate once, we figure it was probably an accident - but if it continues, we'll notify the flagger and ask them to stop, and take further action if necessary.

TheSaint wrote:

Actually, I never got an email back for one message I sent, asking about an automatic removal of one of my projects (Some people flagged a year old project, and it was autotaken off, but it had been up for a year...), but the issue was resolved and the project put back up. Which was fine by me, and so I never pursued it.

I remember that message, and can see our reply in our sent folder! Can you check your spam filters for it? We replied on the 7th of this month. Either way - please let us know if you do or don't find it (I've often wondered if some of our email responses get caught by people's spam filters or are otherwise lost.) If you do find it, please be sure to mark it as not spam.

Blade-Edge wrote:

I have another question

They usually aren't.  But in some cases it's kind of obvious that off-site harassment is going on that's really inappropriate and disrespectful. To us, it doesn't make sense to continue providing a free service to people who we know are attacking Scratch or its community members.

Last edited by Lightnin (2010-11-12 21:08:40)

#17 2010-11-12 21:07:54

TheSaint
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

Abuse of the flagging system is strongly frowned upon by ST. When a comment is flagged and removed, we get a message with the comment and a link to the project / gallery page. If someone flags a comment that isn't inappropriate once, we figure it was probably an accident - but if it continues, we'll notify the flagger and ask them to stop, and take further action if necessary.

TheSaint wrote:

I remember that message, and can see our reply in our sent folder! Can you check your spam filters for it? We replied on the 7th of this month. Either way - please let us know if you do or don't find it (I've often wondered if some of our email responses get caught by people's spam filters).

Your right. I just checked, and the reply was in the spam folder. I will be sure to look there in the future. Thanks!

Last edited by TheSaint (2010-11-12 21:08:14)

#18 2010-11-12 21:12:01

Lightnin
Scratch Team

TheSaint wrote:

Your right. I just checked, and the reply was in the spam folder. I will be sure to look there in the future. Thanks!

Thanks for checking. I wonder how many times that has happened to other responses we've sent out?  hmm  Please be sure to mark that message as not spam, so your ISP's filters get the message.

#19 2010-11-13 00:35:48

kayybee
Scratcher

Maybe you could:
when someone flags a comment/project, they would receive a notification saying "We have taken care of the problem, thank you for bringing it to our attention" or something like that. That way, they don't know if they were banned or if they comment/project was removed, but they know the problem's been taken care of... Something like that?

#20 2010-11-13 18:55:41

Magnie
Scratcher

Well, since I'm far to lazy to read all of this I'll just shoot out my idea. Also could you clarified a few things? How are comments or projects deleted? Through some really complicated source, or just a button next to the comment to delete?

I like the idea of automated messages. When a comment is deleted, you can either type in the reply, or use a default one. If a Moderator doesn't know what to do, then they just leave it be and make some topic here on the forums in the Moderator section and someone else will deal with it and the reply won't be sent until it's dealt with.

I have no idea though. Just giving out a random suggestion to build other ideas off of...

#21 2010-11-13 18:56:57

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

I have another question

They usually aren't.  But in some cases it's kind of obvious that off-site harassment is going on that's really inappropriate and disrespectful. To us, it doesn't make sense to continue providing a free service to people who we know are attacking Scratch or its community members.

And what exactly would you specify as that?

#22 2010-11-13 23:09:34

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

Blade-Edge wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

I have another question

One might be a member of a certain group that mocks Scratchers through 'crude cartoon representations', perhaps?  lol

Last edited by illusionist (2010-11-13 23:09:44)

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#23 2010-11-13 23:42:18

XplodingEggs
Scratcher

illusionist wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

One might be a member of a certain group that mocks Scratchers through 'crude cartoon representations', perhaps?  lol

Lol, who knows?  lol
Yeah, I think that what Lightnin said is pretty much accurate, they shouldn't offer a free service to people who they know are harassing other people who use it, even if its not on the website.

#24 2010-11-29 19:25:46

noey1212
Scratcher

well I see RHY is gone but... what about scratchers like me, who never got to see him/her  sad  I  would have really liked to see his so called "legendary programing" I feel i could have used the knowledge of programing, and studied it to make myself a better scratcher. this concerns me also for the fact that... well I never got to play his games.  sad

A wise man once told me to eat his shoe. later, i found out he was actually a drunk hobo. NEVER TRUST A WISE MAN.

#25 2010-11-29 20:59:07

XplodingEggs
Scratcher

noey1212 wrote:

well I see RHY is gone but... what about scratchers like me, who never got to see him/her  sad  I  would have really liked to see his so called "legendary programing" I feel i could have used the knowledge of programing, and studied it to make myself a better scratcher. this concerns me also for the fact that... well I never got to play his games.  sad

You can still view his projects, they are still visible to logged-in users. I can't provide a link to his stuff, sorry, but I'm sure somebody could find it for you.  smile

Board footer