This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-11-07 07:08:40

IrisSophia
Scratcher

Picoboard Wedo combinations and getting thermisters wet

Hi everyone!
Loads of questions lol.

Is it possible to add more than one picoboard to one computer and manipulate sensor inputs from both?

Is it possible to add one picoboard plus one Wedo kit?
( To get the motor to react to light because the Wedo just senses tilt and distance right? Haven't got a Wedokit, just  picoboard.)

Is it possible for a Scratch program to connect with more than one Wedo kit"?

Worst case scenario from what I read I could use Mesh, more than one computer and get all sensor inputs into variables all computers could see...

Sorry so many questions, really need to know the possibilities in order to plan what to do and what to buy. I'm a teacher and use Scratch in the classroom.

Here's one more, I've used "bead thermisters" and they work but I'm afraid to actually get them wet, like dip the bead and wire parts in water, could I do that? For that matter could I put the alligator clips in water to show it conducts electricity?..

I'd really appreciate any help!
Thanks, IrisSophia

#2 2010-11-07 12:35:23

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Re: Picoboard Wedo combinations and getting thermisters wet

For the WeDo kit issue, the LEGO WeDo FAQ says:

Q: How many Motors or Sensors can you add to a project?
A: You can use a maximum of three LEGO USB Hubs (6 motors or sensors) at the same time.

However I'm not sure if this includes the Scratch Program - I think it would (I have only 1 WeDo kit so I wouldn't be able to test this out). But keep in mind that if you have for example, 2 or 3 motors, than you can't control one of them to do one task and one of them to do another, with the Scratch program. In the LEGO WeDo software you can identify each one.

I myself wouldn't know much about "bead thermisters" though. Sorry.

I hope this helps  smile

Last edited by Lucario621 (2010-11-07 12:36:19)

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#3 2010-11-07 13:11:37

IrisSophia
Scratcher

Thanks for your answer, Lucario621.
Ok, so assuming a Scratch program )  only supports one device (picoboard, Wedo, whatever at a time does it seem feasable to use mesh and with broadcasts and access to variables in other computers have for example 3 motors behave exactly the same way at the same time ( or for that matter have a motor on computer A react to input from a sensor on computer B...).
Still hoping someone can tell me how wet I can get the temperature sensor you can use with Scratch.
What I want to do for example is measure and register how temperature in an ice cold glass of water varies. The idea is to register time and sensor values in lists, have the program say something and stop when a predetermined value for room temperature is reached , then export the data, draw graphs in excel and try to associate the temperature values with Celsius...
Yes, I know about probeware but its expensive and although you can register data you can't teach kids to make  programs ( Scratch) to react to it during an experiment.
And can you dip alligator clips in water?...Don't want to ruin anything...
I know a bit about programming and math but zero about electronics...
No one I know in my country even knows what a picoboard is let alone use it...I'd really appreciate some info.

Thanks, IrisSophia

#4 2011-04-01 19:44:58

schoelles
New Scratcher

IrisSophia wrote:

Is it possible to add more than one picoboard to one computer and manipulate sensor inputs from both?

I do not have any picoboard yet, but in the sensor list only one  of each picoboard sensors occurs. So I see no way how Scratch should be able to acces more than one!

IrisSophia wrote:

Is it possible to add one picoboard plus one Wedo kit?

When running my WeDo hub, the picoboard sensors are still selectable. So I assume this should be possible

IrisSophia wrote:

Is it possible for a Scratch program to connect with more than one Wedo kit"?

Definitvely not! I've 2 Wedo Hubs, but I'm able to access only one of them at a time. See Thread http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=714522#p714522

#5 2011-04-04 09:38:15

djembii
New Scratcher

Though I didn't got my picoboard yet (seems to be out of stock), I've just received the book "Scratch me if you can" and there projects are described with both, picoboard and WeDo (e.g. WeDo crocodile's mouth opens according to picoboard's loudness sensor) ...
Unfortunately the book is in German (http://shop.nxt-roboter.de)

Board footer