This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-11-02 15:40:27

Fied
Scratcher

I'm new!

Hello! I'm sort of new here on Scratch. I believe I have been here for a couple of days, or a week or so now.  smile 
I downloaded the program Scratch once I signed up and it is amazing! I really like the building-block idea, and I'm learning by downloading and viewing tutorials and other users' projects so I can have a better understanding of what each colored block's purpose is...
So far I only have a couple of questions, and I'd like it if an "experienced Scratcher" would answer them for me...

In the Program, Scratch

- In the motion blocks (in the program), what is the purpose of the "move [     ] steps" block if there is already a "change x by     [     ]" block?
- What is the purpose of the "broadcast ____ and then wait" block?
- I have been seeing a lot of "Speed Drawing" projects, with the person drawing using the pen block feature. How does this work?
- Is it okay for people to "hack" the program? What is the punishment, if there is?

On the Website

- If I happen to view a project containing threats to another user, should I flag it, and what should I say?
- I am sure many of us are aware of role-playing, or RPGing. If someone is role-playing, and they use swears or other innapropriate language should I flag it?
- If someone is trying to go around the swear-filter, should I flag the comment, even though it's censored?
- Can a gallery get taken down by the Scratch Team?
- Is there such thing as a live support chat on Scratch?

Thanks if you can answer at least two of these questions.  smile

#2 2010-11-02 15:56:13

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Re: I'm new!

Welcome!  smile

I think you should flag a project if it's a threat at somebody else, and then just say that it's somebody threatening another user.
I would probably flag a comment of somebody trying to cheat the swear-filter. I'm not really a fan of that.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#3 2010-11-03 05:24:21

mathematics
Scratcher

Fied wrote:

In the Program, Scratch

- In the motion blocks (in the program), what is the purpose of the "move [     ] steps" block if there is already a "change x by     [     ]" block?

The "move steps" block asks the sprite to move steps in its direction, but the "change x by" block asks the sprite to move to the right/left*, no matter what its direction is.

* Right for positive numbers, left for negative numbers.

Fied wrote:

You can use this block to send a message to all sprites to tell them to do something, and wait until they all finish before continuing.

(assuming you're asking for the purpose because there is already a "broadcast ____" block)

Fied wrote:

- I have been seeing a lot of "Speed Drawing" projects, with the person drawing using the pen block feature. How does this work?

First, use the "pen down" block. Then, use motion blocks to control the movement of the sprite. The sprite will leave a pen trail.

Fied wrote:

- Is it okay for people to "hack" the program? What is the punishment, if there is?

You mean Scratch? I don't really know much about this, but Scratch Source Code may be better.

Fied wrote:

On the Website

- I am sure many of us are aware of role-playing, or RPGing. If someone is role-playing, and they use swears or other innapropriate language should I flag it?

You should flag it.

Fied wrote:

- Can a gallery get taken down by the Scratch Team?

I think so.

Fied wrote:

- Is there such thing as a live support chat on Scratch?

Nope.

Last edited by mathematics (2010-11-03 05:27:07)

#4 2010-11-03 18:28:55

remington04
Scratcher

smile  hi

#5 2010-11-03 18:57:07

GameHutSoftware
Scratcher

Fied wrote:

When everything that is activated by the broadcast ends, the broadcaster starts up again. Don't worry, this one had me confused for a while too.  smile

Lurking more than posting, but still here.

Board footer