This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2010-12-13 22:57:56

Magnie
Scratcher

Re: NXT Programming with Enchanting

I know what I want for Christmas now xD This looks amazing! Can't wait till I get myself off of Ubuntu to try it out on Windows! Keep up the hard work!

#27 2010-12-22 18:24:49

krackers
Scratcher

Version 0.04 beta is (almost) out and (will soon be) downloadable! New features include:

*MAJOR* - Configuration of sensors/motors/ports
Indicates whether there is a connection with backend
New/modified blocks
fixed lots of bugs

Should go live in a few more days... just in time for Christmas!

#28 2010-12-22 20:46:58

poopo
Scratcher

yikes  amazing

http://i45.tinypic.com/28rnqki.jpg

#29 2011-01-04 16:25:18

clintonb
Scratcher

Scratch 0.0.4 is now out.

Take a look at the demonstration video and website here.

As Krackers said, we've added a major new feature to allow you to choose which sort of peripherals (motors and sensors) you have and what port of the NXT they are on, and fixed a number of bugs.  It has taken a fair bit of work, but I'm pleased with the results and look forward to what future developments.

It is still a bit hard to install, and, if anyone is interested in helping out, I've put up several screencasts on how to do so!

Cheers,
Clinton

Last edited by clintonb (2011-01-04 16:25:49)

#30 2011-03-24 08:10:06

Billybob-Mario
Scratcher

How did you remove the normal sensing blocks? They're still in blockspecs.

#31 2011-03-24 12:27:22

dogdog
Scratcher

I have an NXT 2.0 too! This looks really good. I've been waiting for something like this for a long time!  smile   Maybe in the future versions you can put back all the blocks so you can program scratch normally but use the NXT's motors and sensors. (Like the WeDo)

#32 2011-06-08 22:34:31

clintonb
Scratcher

Enchanting v0.0.7 is now out.  It is much easier to install, and it allows your NXT to communicate with Scratch (by sending broadcasts and variable updates back and forth).

Take a look at the demonstration video, and, if you are interested, download it from the website.

I hope you like it!
Clinton

#33 2011-06-09 11:20:55

Pecola1
Scratcher

Its a great mod, very advanced, I don't have the lego set but I know if I did I would use this a lot.  smile

If you are reading this, please read to the end, because if you don't you won't know what's at the end. Don't just skip to the end though otherwise you won't be able to read the middle, which is most important. Now you must be wondering why you just read all that, the reason is you may have not noticed something, read it again and see if you notice it this time  smile

#34 2011-06-09 11:28:57

Pecola1
Scratcher

Just looked at the new 0.0.7! I didn't download it, I don't have windows xp anymore, i have windows 7. I saw an earlier version, it looks like one of the most hard to make mods ever!

If you are reading this, please read to the end, because if you don't you won't know what's at the end. Don't just skip to the end though otherwise you won't be able to read the middle, which is most important. Now you must be wondering why you just read all that, the reason is you may have not noticed something, read it again and see if you notice it this time  smile

#35 2011-06-09 11:46:38

clintonb
Scratcher

Enchanting should work on Windows XP, Vista and 7, and Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6.

And yes, there was a significant amount of work put into this mod.  : )

#36 2011-10-26 08:09:40

djembii
New Scratcher

I've tried to program with the new enchanting and have been face a problem with turning the motors a certain angle. <rotate(  )degrees>:
This will do nothing unless it is followed by a <wait(  )secs>, which is not the way rotating of a sprite in scratch works - and it's unlogical! As well, for this you have to calculate the time from the velocity, whitch is too complex for primary school childs. Even if you manage to do it, it will stop, so no smooth motion could be programmed. I understand that this has to be done for the <rotate(  )degrees and wait> element, but why the <rotate(  )degrees> stops as well?
thanks in advance, djembii

#37 2011-10-26 09:48:56

Hardmath123
Scratcher

clintonb wrote:

2) You can export and import your Squeak code to files on the disk, and then put them under a standard version control system.  [See this page, which is just a bit dated.]  (If you want just the code to do this, give me a head's up and I'll help you out.)

Head's up. I love Enchanting, I just wish Lego competitions allowed LeJos. (I'm an anti-NXT-G-ist).

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#38 2011-10-26 09:54:40

MathWizz
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

Head's up. I love Enchanting, I just wish Lego competitions allowed LeJos. (I'm an anti-NXT-G-ist).

I know. XD I haven't used NXT-G in a few years and I had to help my younger brother with it a week ago. NXT-G kept crashing on me.  tongue

http://block.site90.net/scratch.mit/text.php?size=30&amp;text=%20A%20signature!&amp;color=333333

#39 2012-08-22 02:55:26

RoboNeo9
Scratcher

i downloaded for windows xp and it didn't even start the program it just downloaded

#40 2013-02-04 22:19:32

clintonb
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

clintonb wrote:

2) You can export and import your Squeak code to files on the disk, and then put them under a standard version control system.  [See this page, which is just a bit dated.]  (If you want just the code to do this, give me a head's up and I'll help you out.)

Hi Hardmath123.

Are you asking for help using version control to manage a Scratch mod?  (Oh, you asked well over a year ago.  I'm sorry I haven't been watching the Scratch forums regularly for some time.)  Would you still like help?

Robofest allows Enchanting!  I hope that the FLL will, someday, too.

#41 2013-02-04 22:23:04

clintonb
Scratcher

I'd like to announce that Enchanting v0.2.3 is released.

Enchanting makes programming the NXT fun again, by being based on Scratch. It is simple enough for a beginner, but has enough depth to be a useful tool for an intermediate-to-advanced roboticist (in part due to being based on BYOB!)

Enchanting is free and open-source, includes German and French translations, and runs on Windows and Mac OS X (and somewhat on Linux). There are several more videos, an iBook, and Enchanting Cards to show you how to use it, thoughts from people who've used Enchanting, a list of bugs to be aware of, and forums where we'll help you with your questions. Come and take a look!

#42 2013-02-05 06:07:55

Hardmath123
Scratcher

clintonb wrote:

Hardmath123 wrote:

clintonb wrote:

Hi Hardmath123.

Are you asking for help using version control to manage a Scratch mod?  (Oh, you asked well over a year ago.  I'm sorry I haven't been watching the Scratch forums regularly for some time.)  Would you still like help?

Robofest allows Enchanting!

Yeah, my team actually won (tied for first) the regionals using it.  smile  Any chance you'll be in Michigan?

Also, in reply to

Hi Hardmath123.

Hmm...  I haven't actually had a Mountain Lion machine to test with.  What message do you get when you click on the green flag after it has stopped talking to it?

I have seen similar issues where it just ceases to communicate, even in Enchanting 0.2.3, which fixes additional bugs, especially related to communication.  I need to drill into it more deeply to figure out what is actually going on.

I've never had to mess with .profile files or 32/64 bit versions of things under OS X 10.7.

I wish I had a better answer for you.  I take it that just quitting and restarting Enchanting doesn't solve the issue?  (I find that the works much of the time when there is a communication glitch).

Oh, and I have a forum here where I'll be watching much more consistently for questions [and then one need not guess if it is an 'advanced topics' or 'connecting to the physical world' question].

It actually doesn't say anything—it just hangs. I don't think it's an Enchanting problem, it's a native LeJOS problem. Using LeJOS purely on Terminal doesn't work either, unless I've very recently rebooted the computer. Same deal on my Mom's SLeopard. I haven't tried it on my dad's Lion (yeah, we have a LOT of Macs!) but it does work on my grandma's compaq Windows 7 laptop with Eclipse (so it's not an issue with my NXT).

#43 2013-02-07 01:25:08

clintonb
Scratcher

Hardmath123 wrote:

clintonb wrote:

Robofest allows Enchanting!

Yeah, my team actually won (tied for first) the regionals using it.  smile  Any chance you'll be in Michigan?

Did you?  That's awesome!  Which event?

I coached a team that went to the World Robofest competition in 2009, and went to Michigan for that.  It was neat to be there.  I suspect it is unlikely that I'll be there this year -- it was an expensive trip!

As for your problems on the Mac, I'll ask around and see if anyone else is experiencing similar problems.

#44 2013-02-18 08:09:19

Hardmath123
Scratcher

Thanks, I appreciate it. Coding on my teammate's Zenbook is driving me crazy (seriously, the guys can't make a decent trackpad?  sad )

Anyway, if you can make it, it'll be great to meet up. We won the Junior Division SRCC (our area was literally on the dot: off by 0.01mm!).

Board footer