This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-03-19 23:00:40

room209
Scratcher

A gallery of math-related projects?

I am collecting project examples to share at a regional math conference.  Can I make a gallery of math-related projects, but set it up so that anyone can add to it?  Once projects are posted on this site, is it OK to use them for your own purposes like this without permission?

#2 2007-03-20 09:48:38

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: A gallery of math-related projects?

Right now anyone can create a gallery and anyone can subscribe/join to a gallery. This means you can create your math gallery and that anyone with an account can contribute projects to the gallery you create. They just need to subscribe to it.

I am not sure I understand what you mean with "use them for your own purposes". The projects you create in Scratch are yours and you can do anything you want with them as far as I know. The only thing is that if you're sharing them on this website the content of the projects should be appropriate for all ages, but I assume math is alway appropriate for anyone to see it :-)

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#3 2007-03-20 17:41:36

room209
Scratcher

Thanks for explaining.  The second part of my question has to do with figuring out whatever part of copyright would apply to  a Scratch project.  I haven't messed around at all with web postings before this for a context.  Could I share projects from the math gallery at a conference, acknowledging the source, but not asking permission from the creator?

I am also thinking I need to be sure my students know that anything they post can be downloaded and revised, that others may use their ideas for their own purposes.  I'll be curious to see if that matters to anyone.

#4 2007-03-21 10:22:33

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

You bring a very interesting point. I am leaning towards favoring a GPL type of license for Scratch projects but it's something we need to decide with the input of people like you. Giving too many options to kids about the licensing of their projects can add too much complexity. Also, we want to foster the sharing of ideas, how to balance all these issues is a challenge. What do you think would be the best approach?

#5 2007-03-25 11:42:26

room209
Scratcher

I don't know what a GLP license is. 

From a user point of view, it would be easier if anyone who posts a project understands that doing so puts it out of their control, that others may do with it what they will.  From a creator's standpoint, if someone goes off and shares one of my or my students' projects, it would be nice to know that they aren't claiming it as their own.  It wouldn't bother me a whole lot since I took the risk in posting it in the first place.

#6 2007-03-28 09:57:01

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Thanks a lot for your input. It is really helpful. In the next few weeks we will be deciding on a licensing model that supports sharing and collaboration but that encourages/enforces giving credits to the authors. We are looking at the Creative Commons licenses: http://creativecommons.org

Once we post the new license we would love to hear your comments on it.

Thanks again

#7 2007-04-02 15:01:22

tamara
Scratcher

I think the creative commons licenses are a very good model, and we are using them at UC Berkeley for student media that the authors want to share.

In regards to using shared scratch projects in a presentation at a conference, I would ask the author's permission, as a courtesy.  Most people are delighted when someone else appreciates their work and they may enjoy knowing about the conference, your paper's topic, etc.

#8 2007-04-27 22:24:20

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I have added a project to the "Math Connections" gallery.

There are way too many galleries that are way to unorganized---there needs to be some structure, like there is for this forum.

#9 2007-04-29 09:41:07

room209
Scratcher

Thanks for your math gallery additions, Kevin.   The math conference was Friday before your posting, but the teachers were excited by all the potential math applications.   I'm hoping others will add in, too.

I agree with your comments on structure for the postings.  I don't know anything at all about on-line communities elsewhere and how they evolve.  It is fun to be in on the beginning of this one.  Having subheadings for galleries with a particular audience in mind, like "Educators" would be a start.

PS: Can you tell me how to change the "new member" subheading under a log-in name?  I note that you are a "member," not a new one like we seem to be stuck with.

Last edited by room209 (2007-04-29 09:43:56)

#10 2007-04-30 12:27:52

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I've no idea how the member/"new member" distinction is made.
I've only been on the forum for a few days.

#11 2007-05-13 13:49:32

natalie
Scratch Team

I found out that to go from "New Member" to "Member" you have to post 10 times. However, we are now planning to lower the number to be just the first time someone posts.

#12 2007-05-14 19:41:23

nick
Scratcher

As an update, I've just fixed this. Now everyone is "Member"!

Nick

#13 2007-05-16 20:39:56

room209
Scratcher

It is so very cool to see how you all take a random comment like member tags and do something about it.  Thank you for the responsiveness.

#14 2007-05-17 05:14:32

Dthen
Scratcher

gotta say, scratch team rocks! johnm was very nice and told me how to fix my drums  smile

#15 2007-05-20 01:32:36

rifdymohideen
Scratcher

Any efforts in using Scratch to educate on health matters

#16 2007-05-21 12:03:14

jsimone
Scratcher

I have added to "Math Connections" gallery a simple "spirograph-like" drawing demo.  Spirograph is based on hypocycloid and hypercycloid curves.  The project I added is not.  The name of the project is "Kitty Graphics".

As soon as the Scratch team gives us trig functions then we can all create the pretty curved family of cycloid curves.

#17 2007-05-30 09:07:04

Krystof
Scratcher

In regards to sharing and colaboration, one of the dangers is that Scratch site can be used as a gold mine of freely available ideas by large powerful software producers that can perfect the ideas, transfer them into more powerful languages, and have them marketed bypassing the original inventor. It could be beneficial to equip Scratch with full scripting power to allow equal competition. Furthermore, a board of Scratch experts could skim, scan and select the ideas with  the greatest potential and assist the inventor with its full development, have it protected and make it globally available to Scratch users. The inventor’s name could be used to encourage prospective inventors to share their ideas. Naïve programmers, who otherwise would never have their names mentioned or projects developed into fully functioning globally available software, would  have this unique opportunity.

Board footer