This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2010-10-15 19:02:18

12three
Scratcher

Re: Replying to disrespectful comments is not OK

Well said.
smile -12three- smile

#52 2010-10-16 21:45:39

Magnie
Scratcher

emilypie wrote:

Aidan wrote:

Recently, I have had a triumph with this. There was a comment on my project saying that it was the worst game ever, and I promptly deleted it.  big_smile

maybe next time you should flag it.  wink

Yes. That may be better, maybe taking a quick screenshot of the comment then delete it and report the screenshot. But it's a thought in progress. It would mainly mean more emails for the team to search through.

#53 2010-10-16 22:08:03

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Magnie wrote:

emilypie wrote:

Aidan wrote:

Recently, I have had a triumph with this. There was a comment on my project saying that it was the worst game ever, and I promptly deleted it.  big_smile

Yes. That may be better, maybe taking a quick screenshot of the comment then delete it and report the screenshot. But it's a thought in progress. It would mainly mean more emails for the team to search through.

I feel the need to say this again:

Flagging comments on your projects and galleries auto-deletes the comments while still sending a message to the Scratch Team - so flag, don't delete.  smile

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#54 2010-10-16 22:17:07

emilypie
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Magnie wrote:

emilypie wrote:

I feel the need to say this again:

Flagging comments on your projects and galleries auto-deletes the comments while still sending a message to the Scratch Team - so flag, don't delete.  smile

Yeah! Flagging is like deleting, plus more! So, when you flag a comment, it gets temporarily deleted until the scratch team sees it, once they see it, if they don't think it was disrespectful, they'll put it back up, but if it is disrespectful, then you will never see that comment again! And if they DO put it back, but, for some reason, you still think it's hurtful in some way, then you can delete it.  smile

"Captain Hammer threw a car at my head." -Dr. Horrible

#55 2010-10-16 22:22:51

emilypie
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

emilypie wrote:

Aidan wrote:

Well, I don't see how a screenshot could help. First of all, screenshots are fairly easy to fake. Just save the image of someone's profile picture, type their username next to it, and make a fake mean comment below. There is a 'Flag as Inappropriate' button at the bottom middle of every comment. That will send the comment to the scratch team so they can look at it. When you flag a comment, it gets temporarily deleted until the scratch team looks at it. If they think it's disrespectful, then they will keep it deleted, and maybe warn the poster, if they don't think it's inappropriate in any way, then they will put it back up, and maybe warn the flagger for flag abuse, depending on the situation.

#56 2010-10-17 10:01:55

platform710
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

steppenwulf wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Maybe we need a catchy slogan to help this idea take hold.  How about

"Flag Don't Fight"

Anybody else?

I just came up with an EPIC slogan. "Don't get mad, just flag." If that isn't awsome I don't know what is xD

I dunno... It doesn't really have a wonderful ring to it like Paddle2See's  smile

I agree  big_smile

http://i54.tinypic.com/2wn8hnb.gif

#57 2010-10-18 12:19:30

Magnie
Scratcher

emilypie wrote:

Magnie wrote:

emilypie wrote:

Well, I don't see how a screenshot could help. First of all, screenshots are fairly easy to fake. Just save the image of someone's profile picture, type their username next to it, and make a fake mean comment below. There is a 'Flag as Inappropriate' button at the bottom middle of every comment. That will send the comment to the scratch team so they can look at it. When you flag a comment, it gets temporarily deleted until the scratch team looks at it. If they think it's disrespectful, then they will keep it deleted, and maybe warn the poster, if they don't think it's inappropriate in any way, then they will put it back up, and maybe warn the flagger for flag abuse, depending on the situation.

Thought in progress, I know how many problems my idea has.  wink

#58 2010-10-18 16:45:16

emilypie
Scratcher

Magnie wrote:

emilypie wrote:

Magnie wrote:

Thought in progress, I know how many problems my idea has.  wink

well, thanks for trying to make the flagging system fair for everyone.  smile  but i, personally think it's already fair. i mean, i think it would be more convincing for the scratch team to see a comment or project for themselves rather than seeing a screenshot that can be easily faked. even if you are using contact us instead of flagging, you can still put a link to the project in the email. however, remember that if it is only one project or comment being disrespectful, it is encouraged that you flag rather than email, as while you will not be getting a reply, the scratch team will see it and take the project/comment down quicker.  smile

or, so i assume. ^^;

#59 2010-10-18 17:03:59

zorket
Scratcher

I found an idea on scratch ideas to help prevent spam comments. Just click the block below!

http://www.cs.harvard.edu/malan/scratch/mousedown.gif

Last edited by zorket (2010-10-18 17:06:16)

Marzipan11 must learn to not spoil

#60 2010-10-18 17:11:49

emilypie
Scratcher

zorket wrote:

I found an idea on scratch ideas to help prevent spam comments. Just click the block below!

http://www.cs.harvard.edu/malan/scratch/mousedown.gif

isn't that a bit...spam-ish? ^^;

#61 2010-10-18 22:57:58

Magnie
Scratcher

Emily: Post 1, Yes, I agree.  smile  Post 2, Zorket probably wants to test the image tags or other stuff. Leave her/him be.  smile

#62 2010-10-18 23:24:42

militarydudes
Scratcher

thanks you so much for posting this Andres.  smile

__m. .m__ KILROY WAS HERE
        U

#63 2010-10-21 18:28:41

hdarken
Scratcher

I got a comment on one of my projects saying "pretty dumb" do you think I should flag it?

http://i.imgur.com/VskBk.png
http://i.imgur.com/tgxVZ.jpg

#64 2010-10-21 19:16:29

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

hdarken wrote:

I got a comment on one of my projects saying "pretty dumb" do you think I should flag it?

Feel free to flag the mean comment.  smile

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#65 2010-10-21 20:00:38

zorket
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

Please help us spread the word that:

a) Disrespectful comments are not OK
b) Responding to disrespectful comments is also not OK.
c) People should flag disrespectful or inappropriate content, contact the Scratch Team and then ignore it. Do not respond to it publicly because this only creates a cycle of attacks.

Thanks and Scratch On!

The easiest way:
Sing:
Please help us spread the word,
never be a dirty bird.

(Please don't ban me it's just a joke)

Marzipan11 must learn to not spoil

#66 2010-10-21 22:07:45

antimonyarsenide
Scratcher

I agree completely. One part I didn't think of, but is certainly good advice, is:

andresmh wrote:

You are encouraged to flag and report inappropriate content but there is no need to tell people that you are doing it because it only creates more conflicts.

I need to keep this rule in mind more.

http://myfastcounter.com/count.php?c_style=75&id=1284314427
No, I'm not back (yet  tongue ), so pretend this is invisible.

#67 2010-10-22 19:25:43

platform710
Scratcher

Usatt1337 wrote:

Thanks for the reminder Andres and also...http://www.*.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010 … -plane.jpg

Lol! XD

http://i54.tinypic.com/2wn8hnb.gif

#68 2010-10-23 18:17:28

kinker
Scratcher

Support.

Put in the weirdness: http://i54.tinypic.com/zl6fph.pnghttp://img821.imageshack.us/i/gobanim2.gif/kinker style! [url]http://internetometer.com/image/16724.png[/url]♬♫ 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. ♫♪

#69 2010-10-24 17:05:44

cyndarelli
New Scratcher

agreeing on that.  There is no need for a person to reply to things of that nature.  It makes you wonder if they have any other hobbies, golf, kayaking, something?  Or just too much time on their hands.

#70 2010-11-12 19:19:56

ArrowHead
Scratcher

This...is...a pretty good point! I'm pretty sensitive at times (though I don't really get comments on my projects...), so it's a good idea to let the community know that just because Scratch seems to be void of cyberbullies, no site is, and people should know what's happening. The people have a right to KNOW!

See previews of Earth, my current project written in C# and XNA, and provide feedback here!

#71 2010-11-22 09:41:33

scimonster
Community Moderator

coolstuff wrote:

I couldn't agree more! I think it's really important that the community should report disrespectful comments or posts. It's something I think is necessary, but really isn't stressed enough.

probably a little easier for you and the other mods if you only get one flag instead of two.

#72 2010-11-24 14:37:11

Lightnin
Scratch Team

scimonster wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

I couldn't agree more! I think it's really important that the community should report disrespectful comments or posts. It's something I think is necessary, but really isn't stressed enough.

probably a little easier for you and the other mods if you only get one flag instead of two.

If you are sure that someone has already flagged / reported something, then there's no need to do it again. But it's not a big deal if we get several flags about the same issue.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#73 2010-11-24 16:58:05

emilypie
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

scimonster wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

If you are sure that someone has already flagged / reported something, then there's no need to do it again. But it's not a big deal if we get several flags about the same issue.

But it is something really inappropriate--an inappropriate image or something of the sort--wouldn't it be better if enough people flag it so it gets temporarily deleted?

#74 2010-11-28 00:25:29

scimonster
Community Moderator

emilypie wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

scimonster wrote:

But it is something really inappropriate--an inappropriate image or something of the sort--wouldn't it be better if enough people flag it so it gets temporarily deleted?

What I was saying was, it will be less flags if you don't respond to the mean comment.  Like:
A: mean comment
B: mean reply
C: flags A & B
That has two flags.  but:
B: flag
is only one flag.

less flags, less mod work.  all i was saying.

#75 2010-11-28 11:03:30

emilypie
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

emilypie wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

What I was saying was, it will be less flags if you don't respond to the mean comment.  Like:
B: mean reply
C: flags A & B
That has two flags.  but:
B: flag
is only one flag.

less flags, less mod work.  all i was saying.

Yes - I think I understand what you're saying, now. You're right.  smile

Board footer