This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#201 2010-10-01 23:01:10

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Re: Fall 2010 Community Moderator Elections

Blade-Edge wrote:

So they didn't even consult the moderators until recently?
I imagine this board room with the lights off, and there are 4 shadowy figures sitting across from each other plotting things
Dun dun dun
It's the Scratch team

In light of the content that has been appearing on the website, the Scratch Team became concerned with what some of us mods were facing, so they were thinking about changing/adding to the community moderator guidelines. When they came up with a new set of guidelines that they were fairly satisfied with, they let us mods know about the new guidelines (yes, Dazachi and illusionist knew beforehand what was going to happen to their positions); but they we're still looking it over and it was not yet finalized. It was just a few days ago it was really finalized and released to the public.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#202 2010-10-01 23:09:05

Lucario621
Community Moderator

coolstuff wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

I imagine this board room with the lights off, and there are 4 shadowy figures sitting across from each other plotting things
Dun dun dun
It's the Scratch team

We didn't hear about this until maybe two weeks ago. By that point the decision was pretty much final.

While in certain cases it may be a good idea to consult the community about a plan first, I don't think this would have been one of these times because the community really doesn't know all that much about moderating, the under-14 year old moderators are furious and thus would like to change the rules in their favour, and the over-14 year olds can see some reason to the rule as they are not blinded by anger.

Look, SOME of the younger scratchers do that, but not everybody is like that. There are other people which are mature that don't just want to change the rules to their needs.

I do see what the Scratch Team means. But I do think they're slightly over-exaggerating. If there are mods that aren't doing their jobs well, then the Scratch Team should just remove them but not requiring the rule  - but other than that, people like illusionist and dazachi can handle the different kinds of material on the Scratch Website. As far as how well they are doing as a mod, that's not up to me.

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#203 2010-10-01 23:09:25

fg123
Scratcher

We should have a trial period. No rule, mods get elected, they get 1 week, if they do a good job, keep Community mod, if not, or if they complain, off they go.

Fine. But trust me, wait till the scratch team meets me.  tongue

I gotta to to Massachusets

DAD!!! CAN WE GO TO BOSTON FOR WINTER VACATION???!!!

We'll see...

lol

Last edited by fg123 (2010-10-01 23:10:35)

Hai.

#204 2010-10-01 23:26:08

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Lucario621 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

Dun dun dun
It's the Scratch team

We didn't hear about this until maybe two weeks ago. By that point the decision was pretty much final.

While in certain cases it may be a good idea to consult the community about a plan first, I don't think this would have been one of these times because the community really doesn't know all that much about moderating, the under-14 year old moderators are furious and thus would like to change the rules in their favour, and the over-14 year olds can see some reason to the rule as they are not blinded by anger.

Look, SOME of the younger scratchers do that, but not everybody is like that. There are other people which are mature that don't just want to change the rules to their needs.

I do see what the Scratch Team means. But I do think they're slightly over-exaggerating. If there are mods that aren't doing their jobs well, then the Scratch Team should just remove them but not requiring the rule  - but other than that, people like illusionist and dazachi can handle the different kinds of material on the Scratch Website. As far as how well they are doing as a mod, that's not up to me.

With the current way the website is deigned, I don't think there is a way to separate what kind of material that Scratch moderators can handle - unavoidably, we all handle the same things. To repost what I've said earlier:

Keeping in mind that the Scratch Team wants this site to be safe for all ages, I would assume they [the Scratch Team] wants to extend the same thinking towards their moderators - considering what moderators have to see and do, this can only be extended so far. My assumption is that this is probably likely why they implemented the new rule requiring moderators be age 14 or older, as it seems to be a fair compromise with regards with what moderators have to face and the values that the Scratch Team wants to implement to all Scratch members.

Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#205 2010-10-01 23:29:21

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

But wait, there's something else
That 14+ thing would have been good earlier, but now there's the new scratcher ordeal
Things like that probably won't happen if it stays, so, what of it?

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#206 2010-10-01 23:32:10

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Blade-Edge wrote:

But wait, there's something else
That 14+ thing would have been good earlier, but now there's the new scratcher ordeal
Things like that probably won't happen if it stays, so, what of it?

New Scratchers aren't always the cause of inappropriate content, you know.  tongue

#207 2010-10-01 23:37:05

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

Yeah, but they were the cause of the more terrible things

#208 2010-10-01 23:41:29

littletonkslover
Scratcher

Just wondering, what did you choose to implement these age limits? Do you insist that 13 year olds are less mature?

http://www.coxlab.org/images/rat_banner.jpg
That's the dark nature of capitalism. ~ Wonder Showzen

#209 2010-10-01 23:44:07

scratch_yoshi
Scratcher

Blade-Edge wrote:

Yeah, but they were the cause of the more terrible things

...???
No, it was SPAMMERS. Regular New Scratchers aren't any part of this.  wink

Retired from Scratch, but just the language itself. Not the forums.

#210 2010-10-01 23:48:03

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

littletonkslover wrote:

Just wondering, what did you choose to implement these age limits? Do you insist that 13 year olds are less mature?

The Scratch Team did not implement the rule with the belief that those under 14 are less mature. If fact, they feel that there are those under 14 who are mature. What they are uncomfortable with is those under 14 having to deal the issues that moderators have to face. To quote Lightnin earlier

Lightnin wrote:

I'm sure there are Scratchers who are younger than 14 who are responsible enough, and would do a wonderful job. But being a mod is a big commitment, and we don't feel comfortable asking Scratchers younger than that to take it on.

Last edited by cheddargirl (2010-10-01 23:50:28)

#211 2010-10-01 23:48:49

fg123
Scratcher

When my Scratch Club @ school starts, expect bout 20 more users piling in.  smile

Hai.

#212 2010-10-01 23:53:13

hdarken
Scratcher

fg123 wrote:

When my Scratch Club @ school starts, expect bout 20 more users piling in.  smile

I  told a few of my friends at school about Scratch and then there were people joining Scratch.

http://i.imgur.com/VskBk.png
http://i.imgur.com/tgxVZ.jpg

#213 2010-10-01 23:55:09

fg123
Scratcher

I have a scratch club.  smile  I run one.  big_smile

Hai.

#214 2010-10-02 00:04:57

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

littletonkslover wrote:

The Scratch Team did not implement the rule with the belief that those under 14 are less mature. If fact, they feel that there are those under 14 who are mature. What they are uncomfortable with is those under 14 having to deal the issues that moderators have to face. To quote Lightnin earlier

Lightnin wrote:

I'm sure there are Scratchers who are younger than 14 who are responsible enough, and would do a wonderful job. But being a mod is a big commitment, and we don't feel comfortable asking Scratchers younger than that to take it on.

Lol it must be tiring repeating that message over and over
I don't see why they can't just go back a few pages and read it for themselves

#215 2010-10-02 00:09:49

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Blade-Edge wrote:

Lol it must be tiring repeating that message over and over
I don't see why they can't just go back a few pages and read it for themselves

Yes, yes it is.  neutral  My guess is that people often times do not feel reading through forum threads is they're long just to find their answer.

Maybe I'll ask Lightnin later if it's okay to go and edit his original post (or maybe he could even do it himself) so that it's okay to stick that fact in about the age-maturity issue, that would probably help to quell most questions about the issue.

#216 2010-10-02 01:21:19

hdarken
Scratcher

fg123 wrote:

I have a scratch club.  smile  I run one.  big_smile

What's a Scratch club?

http://i.imgur.com/VskBk.png
http://i.imgur.com/tgxVZ.jpg

#217 2010-10-02 06:03:44

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

I realize how disappointed some of you must be.  I know myself how painful it is to be barred from things because of some age limit.  When I was very young, it was certain movies that I was not allowed to see...then, when I was out of school and working and thought I had cleared all the age barriers, I tried to rent a car in Massachusetts only to find that they did not rent to people younger than 25.   That was a shock and very inconvenient.

Now, I'm in my mid 50's and guess what?  There are things I am not allowed to do because of my age.  The Armed Services and the Police Department are not interested in hiring people older than 45.  I'm in pretty good shape...I could probably do the work.  But the rules say no. 

Why do they limit people based on age?   Well, in some cases, like the car rentals, it's probably because they have found that statistically people under 25 have been too rough on their cars and they don't want to take the risk.  With the Armed Services and the Police, it's probably that they think I would not be physically up to the demands of the job.  I might think I am in good shape...but realistically I'm not sure I could keep up with men and women in their physical prime and I might let them down during a critical situation.  They are not comfortable with people my age trying to take on the rigors of the job. 

It's similar with the Moderator age limit.  The Scratch Team is just not comfortable with people younger than 14 doing the work that a Moderator sometimes has to do.  It was a painful decision to make and I understand that it has disappointed a lot of people - but we think it's the best thing for the Moderators and the Community.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#218 2010-10-02 06:17:30

Star_the_fox
Scratcher

Erm... I thought all the TBG mods but Ducky are 13... I think... So, is that an exeption? Or will all the moddies but Ducky get kicked?

http://i.imgur.com/emXC8.png
All credit to cpumaster930 for le signature.

#219 2010-10-02 08:00:10

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Star_the_fox wrote:

Erm... I thought all the TBG mods but Ducky are 13... I think... So, is that an exeption? Or will all the moddies but Ducky get kicked?

The rule does not affect the TBGs.

#220 2010-10-02 08:07:11

coolstuff
Community Moderator

fg123 wrote:

We should have a trial period. No rule, mods get elected, they get 1 week, if they do a good job, keep Community mod, if not, or if they complain, off they go.

One week isn't nearly enough time for a community moderator to learn the ropes! In fact, during our first month, we all ended up being terrible moderators! We grew out of that phase after that month, but to this day we are still learning. In a week it is impossible to show your true colours.

I remember when we were told to keep it cooled down (as we were still learning for the first month) for the first month, I thought, "I'm a fast learner, it can't take me more than a week." But the possible situations that can present themselves are endless.  It actually took us far more than one month to fully get the hang of things.

#221 2010-10-02 08:39:41

juststickman
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

juststickman wrote:

The thing is, if you didn't say your real age, nobody would know...

That is why the Scratch Team now requires parent's permission for those wanting to run - they want to talk to the parents to make sure they [the parents] are okay with their child taking on the role of moderator.

You see, that makes no sense.

Since when could you track down a parent by e-mail?
Or are you saying 30 year old adults now must get permission from their parents?

Either way, you could just lie again.

http://is.gd/iBQi2 Add grob to your sig and help with world dominiation!http://is.gd/iBQ9Q                                                             Hey guys, we're seriously naming our team bob?

#222 2010-10-02 08:40:05

Dazachi
Retired Community Moderator

coolstuff wrote:

fg123 wrote:

One week isn't nearly enough time for a community moderator to learn the ropes! In fact, during our first month, we all ended up being terrible moderators! We grew out of that phase after that month, but to this day we are still learning. In a week it is impossible to show your true colours.

I remember when we were told to keep it cooled down (as we were still learning for the first month) for the first month, I thought, "I'm a fast learner, it can't take me more than a week." But the possible situations that can present themselves are endless.  It actually took us far more than one month to fully get the hang of things.

Coolstuff is right. It is hard at first and still is. If you do become a mod, don't be scared to ask questions.

Dazachi, Retired Community Moderator
May also know me as OJACheung.

#223 2010-10-02 08:44:46

coolstuff
Community Moderator

juststickman wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

juststickman wrote:

The thing is, if you didn't say your real age, nobody would know...

That is why the Scratch Team now requires parent's permission for those wanting to run - they want to talk to the parents to make sure they [the parents] are okay with their child taking on the role of moderator.

You see, that makes no sense.

Since when could you track down a parent by e-mail?
Or are you saying 30 year old adults now must get permission from their parents?

Either way, you could just lie again.

It is possible to ask for the parent's email address, but it'll likely be done over-the-phone or via Skype to prevent lying and such.

And did Paddle2See not just say that candidates from ages 14-17 must get confirmation of their ages from their parents?

Paddle2See wrote:

My understanding is the same as yours...if a candidate between the ages of 14 and 17 is elected, they will be asked to have their parent or guardian contact the Scratch Team by phone.

#224 2010-10-02 10:22:22

mathematics
Scratcher

By the way, what if a candidate's parents don't know English?

#225 2010-10-02 10:29:13

scratch_yoshi
Scratcher

mathematics wrote:

By the way, what if a candidate's parents don't know English?

yikes

Retired from Scratch, but just the language itself. Not the forums.

Board footer