This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-05-27 11:00:57

mohlar
Scratcher

Homepage friends - not totally intuitive

When logging on, you get the 'Requests' column on the left with a display of avatars or thumbnails and a variable list of options such as Friend, Join, No, No thanks, x, Decline etc.  It's all a bit confusing for newcomers. Some clicks add you as a friend or seem to send a request to be a friend, or add a friend to your list. I feel that something along the lines of the 'project notes' used for submissions could be valuable here.

I've already encountered a few members whose work is always interesting and I'd very much like to be able to have them in a list if the option exists to be notified when they submit a new program. Is this part of the feature?

The website as a whole is generally very clear and easy to navigate, but this is one area where I become easily confused. (Not that that's too unusual a state of mind for me anyway!)

#2 2007-05-27 14:27:34

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Re: Homepage friends - not totally intuitive

The "friends" list seems to have been copied from a totally different application which had different intent.  Don't be surprised that it is completely unintuitive!

The web is is generally much less intuitive than Scratch itself, showing the result of much quicker and less careful development.  For example, how many steps does it take when you are looking at a gallery to add one of your projects to it? 
1) you must subscribe to the gallery (what does that mean?)
2) you must go to your "My stuff" page
3) you must click on the little boxes next to the project(s) you want to add to the  gallery (what do those little boxes mean?)
4) you must click on add to gallery
5) you must click on the box(es) for the galleries

This is *not* an intuitive interface!  I had no trouble figuring it out, but I still find it quite awkward.

#3 2007-05-27 15:43:02

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: Homepage friends - not totally intuitive

mohlar: there are two type or requests you get on your MyStuff page:

1) Friend requests. This happens when other people have visited your profile and clicked on "add as a friend". This adds you to their list of friends. Accepting their request will add them to your friend list.

2) Invitation to join galleries. People can invite you to galleries they own or belong to. Ideally so you can contribute projects to those galleries if they match their theme.

I totally agree with you and kevin, specially about the galleries being confusing. The website was developed in a few months while Scratch was developed in about 4 years. Your feedback is giving us a lot of ideas for improvement and we really appreciate it.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

Board footer