This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-05-26 18:12:18

mohlar
Scratcher

Not a manual, but some plain text notes would be useful.

I'm probably coming to Scratch from a slightly different direction than many users. (I'm 60 and have a background in the teaching of Logo and the personal use of programs such as 'Tales Animator' and 'Game Maker'). I fully understand and agree with the decision not to create a massive manual and to focus instead on the 'info cards'. But it might also be useful for some users to have access to something like a text-based index of functions with brief notes about how to achieve particular effects. (eg: create a slider, add a new background etc. as well as the more basic functions). For one thing, this would really save on ink if you wanted to print something out for future reference!

#2 2007-05-26 18:31:34

paulmedwal
Scratcher

Re: Not a manual, but some plain text notes would be useful.

You may want to check out the reference guide: http://scratch.mit.edu/files/ScratchReferenceGuide.pdf It has a listing of all the blocks and what they do, in addition to a description of the basic design of Scratch.

clutter.scratch.mit.edu Visit the Clutter site to create multi-scene stories and multi-level games with Scratch.

#3 2007-05-27 06:41:06

mohlar
Scratcher

Thanks Paul, I had noted this. As I said, I may becoming at Scratch from a slightly different direction and I'm used to having an 'index'-type Help facility with any software that I use. But you are right, that 14-pager is a good summary and an excellent place to start.

Another thing I'm doing is gathering ideas from this forum and copying-out snippets and tips and adding them to my own resource document for easy reference.

#4 2007-05-29 09:03:58

mohlar
Scratcher

For anyone who's interested, look at my two later posts 'I'm a dinosaur' with page listings for topics in the main Scratch help files.

Board footer