This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-05-25 15:51:11

ernestpazera
Scratcher

Lamenting Of "Missing" Features

http://ernestpazera.googlepages.com/snake.html
(until I can get it uploaded properly)

I've seen a lot of issues about scratch raised on these forums(mostly I just lurk).  No non-numeric variables, no function calls with parameters, no arrays, no dynamic sprites. These are things in many a programmer's arsenal.

Quit lamenting the things that scratch does not have that you have relied upon in the past.

Instead, find what scratch is good at doing, and play to those strengths.  This will stretch you as a developer.

When I wrote JetLag (http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/ernestpazera/4226), I went with my conventional methods. I "faked" an array with 30 globals and a huge script for scrolling the screen.  As a result, it is extremely slow.

This is not the first time I have written a snake game. Normally, when implementing snake, I would make use of a linked list for each of the nodes of the snake's body.  I don't have that ability here.  But once I got into the mindset of how scratch does things, I saw how snake could be possible, and I accomplished it with ONLY THREE SPRITES.

Years ago, we had computers with very little memory, limited graphics, slow processors, and yet we made some of the most amazing things with them.  Don't try to make scratch into something it is not.  Instead, get into the mindse of how scratch does things, and see where that takes you.

Last edited by ernestpazera (2007-05-25 15:52:43)

#2 2007-05-25 16:12:35

weissjd
Scratcher

Re: Lamenting Of "Missing" Features

I agree. One of the reasons that Scratch is so great is that it doesn't try to do everything. I hope the Scratch team will be very judicious about adding new features and keep the target audience in mind.

There are lots of things you can't do in Scratch, but it has the key elements that people need to get an introduction to programming, logic, etc.

As a software engineer there are two things I really enjoy about Scratch. First, it's easy to do cool visual stuff that would be a lot more cumbersome in the languages I usually work with. Second, I really enjoy finding creative ways to do things in Scratch that would be easy in other languages (funny, after I wrote that I realized that those two things are the exact opposite of each other).

As someone who volunteers at an elementary school running an after-school computer club I'm really looking forward to using Scratch for its intended use - education. I haven't seen another free programming tool that I really felt would work well with that age group.

So remember, if you're a developer trying to write complex games or physics simulations, you're not exactly the target audience for Scratch. Not that you shouldn't do it, but don't expect the Scratch team to enhance the product to meet your needs. Now on the other hand if you're a 10 year old and you feel like you could learn more with a few key enhancements, by all means speak up.

Last edited by weissjd (2007-05-25 16:13:09)

#3 2007-05-25 21:53:31

Roberth
Scratcher

Even this said, with the idea that Scratch is something different, there still are some basic things that can be added to Scratch that wouldn't break the paradigm and would add immeasurably to the kinds of projects that could be created with Scratch.

The "just live with it" mentality is shooting yourself in the foot.  Of course the problem is trying to decide what kinds of new features ought to be added, and how slowly.

I will say that I have enjoyed writing software in Scratch, precisely because it does push my limits on what I'm capable of doing.  And pushes me to rethink software programming models to go beyond the traditional programming languages.  Of course I'm a huge fan of esoteric programming languages like Intercal and Brainf***.  I've even thought about writing an implementation of Brainf*** in Scratch  smile

All this said, I've come across some very signficant performance issues as they relate to some of the software I've written in Scratch.  Even though it is possible to write some of these ideas in Scratch, it doesn't mean it is easy nor that other methods of simplification would have a very positive impact on even kids writing stuff in Scratch with these much improved tools.  Most notably, the comments and case selectors are examples of things you can currently implement in Scratch, but they are so utterly messy and difficult to modify after the fact with the current model that clearly much improved block types dealing with these issues could be added that would be of significant benefit to even new programmers learning about these ideas in grade school.

And I've implemented Queues, Stacks, Arrays, and other advanced data types within Scratch, but they are all very messy compared to what they would be if they were native to Scratch.  These in particular are something where a huge performance improvement would happen for these more advanced ideas were directly added as variable types of some sort.  Allow a basic learning curve for kids, but at least give them these tools that they can continue to improve upon their skills.  And I don't think these are so totally advanced that you can't explain (and the kids be able to grasp them easier than most adults) these to a bunch of 4th and 5th grade kids.  Especially as their basic skills are starting to move onto the next steps into more advanced projects.

#4 2007-05-26 00:23:01

fandebiao
Scratcher

I agree with Roberth.
Although creativity is the focus of Scratch, not complexity, Scratch should still have more functionalities than it does now.
For example, inheritance should definitely be included as it is very easy to visualize and it's one of the most important features of modern programming. 
When kids write programs, they want to learn the real way of writing it.  Not some weird way that will trick the program into doing it.  If they get into the habit of using those weird ways, it might be even harder for them to learn the real way later.

#5 2007-05-26 01:32:34

mungojelly
Scratcher

Whether or not to extend Scratch isn't an either/or question.  Scratch is going to be maintained by the team that's maintaining it, and if they stay focused on the goals they're on now, they'll keep it pretty simple.  Also, it's not going to be the last programming language ever invented in this style.  We should start thinking of our ideas not just as ideas for the next version of Scratch, but as ideas for all of the languages we can make next: More complex, simpler, or maybe just different.

Like since I'm into evolutionary computation, I've been thinking about simplified languages in which it's easy to program evolution.  For instance, an evolutionary Scratch would need a way of cloning objects (which Scratch needs anyway) which would make the active sprites representatives of a hidden population.  You could then have three blocks: A reward block, a punish block, and a block that's sort of like "pick random 1 to 10" except it would select the number evolutionarily.  (Actually all you need is either a reward block OR a punish block.)

<3

#6 2007-05-26 04:42:32

Roberth
Scratcher

mungojelly wrote:

Whether or not to extend Scratch isn't an either/or question.  Scratch is going to be maintained by the team that's maintaining it, and if they stay focused on the goals they're on now, they'll keep it pretty simple.  Also, it's not going to be the last programming language ever invented in this style.  We should start thinking of our ideas not just as ideas for the next version of Scratch, but as ideas for all of the languages we can make next: More complex, simpler, or maybe just different.

One of the wildcards on this issue is to see what changes will happen to Scratch once the source code is released "into the wild".  And there are a small number of individuals who are both lurking as well as actively posting on these forums who are perfectly capable of rewriting major sections of the current implementation of Scratch to add these "extentions".  Myself included.

There is also a distinction that can be made between the particular implementation of Scratch that currently exists, and the specification of the computer programming language called "Scratch".  It is currently one and the same at the moment, but there is no reason to assume even this at the moment.  The issue is in some ways how to maintain the simplicity of Scratch and yet work to enhance characteristics of the spec here to allow for some of these more advanced software engineering concepts.

And while this may not be the last language developed along this line, Scratch does enjoy a few benefits at the moment which I find positive:  It has a working implementation (a rarity among a plethora of software language suggestions), a huge if usually silent sponsor on the part of MIT, acceptance by the target community, and a forum for discussing new ideas and directions of the language that is very inclusive and willing to seek people who otherwise have not been included in similar project in the past.  How successful they will be at accepting code contributions for changes to Scratch remains to be seen, however.

I'll also say that I have a bit of a selfish motive on this as well.  I wrote a modular multi-media development environment over 15 years ago that in many ways targeted the very same group of individuals that Scratch is targeting.  And my software was also very widely accepted, by at least those who had a chance to see it in the first place.  It was also sponsored by the U.S. Federal Government under a special 3-year grant targeting a particular implementation that strongly resembles what the LLK is doing now with Scratch... although the grant I worked under was from the Department of Education and not the National Science Foundation.  Unfortnately, the lead professor at the university where I worked on this software was adverse to the idea of open source software, and the whole project has been tied up for the past 15 years in a legal morass to even find the source code (I still have copies of it as the lead developer... but nobody has asked who cares).  BTW, the name of that software was called CID, and developed by the Nexus Group of the Department of Instructional Technology at Utah State University.

Interestingly enough, there was an effort with even interest by the then Governor of the state of Utah to establish a research community similar to the MIT Media Lab, but I also saw the whole effort implode due to political considerations that in retrospect seemed petty and downright childish.  Especially once the big money started to show up with a Department of Defense training contract routed through TRADOC and the Army.  I have no idea what ever really happened with that proposal, but it was very real and generated quite a bit of interest.

In all this time, I've been lurking to find something that even comes close to the vision that the development team I once worked on, and I think I've found it with the LLK and specifically Scratch.  Yes, there are other modular GUI development environments, but this is a really unique set of confluence of ideas and timing in terms of getting mindshare of people with similar ideas and people who are bright enough to appreciate really good yet elegant in both artistic and mathematical sense with a design.  This is a rare talent indeed to do both at the same time.

#7 2007-05-26 10:48:00

fandebiao
Scratcher

omg, who is this guy?

#8 2007-05-26 13:04:46

mrexcessive
Scratcher

I can't wait for the source to scratch to be released... then we will see an evolutionary soup of programming languages of the 'lego brick' style (tm - no doubt).

I no... I can wait... but hurry along with it please ;-)

And thanks to fandebiao for posting to my thread on dynamically creating sprites... that is surely the biggest single missing feature atm.

#9 2007-05-27 06:24:27

Mayhem
Scratcher

Whilst there are some things that I would like to see in scratch (a few mor maths functions, such as sin and cos, for example) I acknowledge that adding these to scratch has the potential to make it too complex for its target audience.

Might be nice, though, to have a "Advanced Features" switch in the menu so that these things could be switched on and off - so they are there for those that want them, but can be hidden when scatch is being used by its target audience of youngsters.

Web-spinning Spider:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/18456
3D Dungeon Adventure:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/23570
Starfighter X: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/21825
Wandering Knight: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/28484

#10 2007-05-27 08:01:41

room209
Scratcher

One of my main beefs with the EX version of MicroWorlds (a logo product) is that is goes too far.  There is all sorts of cool stuff that you'd use if you knew what you were doing, but it makes things visually more complicated when you work with elementary school students and sometimes slows things down. 

So, I second the request to keep in mind the target audience.  Scratch works nicely for kids.

#11 2007-06-01 23:58:40

rivendell
Scratcher

I don't think that just because a feature might be "complicated" means you have to leave it out or hide it.  For example, most of us never use most of the "complicated" modes on our digital cameras.  We know they're there if we have the knowledge and need them, but we can use the cameras just fine without paying any attention to them.

Just because you include stuff in Scratch and make it more full-featured doesn't mean you have to use the stuff.  For example, look at the "broadcast" capability already in there.  For kids who are just figuring out loops and conditionals, it's far too much.  But it's in there for those who can take advantage of it.

Right now, I'm teaching a class of 8-12 year olds for two weeks.  I doubt any except the most advanced will get to anything requiring broadcast blocks.  But several already have projects that would benefit from subroutines with parameters.  And lacking strings and and string keyboard input means we can't write some of the simplest programs I remember writing in BASIC when I first started programming.

However, IMHO the BIGGEST advantage of scratch for teaching is the graphical, snap-together interface.  Very clear, very easy to use, easy to modify.  Even kids without keyboarding skills can easily get stuff working on the screen within minutes.

I was going to use Basic-256 for my class, but after watching some struggle the first few days to write HTML, finding Scratch was a godsend.  Writing text files in BASIC would have resulted in a much steeper learning curve, things like unintentional spaghetti code, painful debugging and more.  Scratch provides an easy-to-use interface and easily modifiable "code", but the libraries of sprites, pictures and sounds are a huge plus and really excite the kids. 

To me, the debate about how "dumbed down" Scratch should be compared to a "real" language is a bit of a red herring.  Like most of us, kids will ignore the stuff they don't need.

Last edited by rivendell (2007-06-02 00:00:14)

#12 2007-06-05 17:02:24

mungojelly
Scratcher

The advanced tab on Scratch is called "Squeak."  After using it for a few days, I've realized that we hardly need Scratch's source code.  The GUI of Scratch isn't original: It's a GUI called "Morphic" which has become the central user interface concept of Squeak.  The blocks on the left are Morphs that know how to click together, and the sprites on the right are Morphs that follow instructions coded by those blocks.  In fact, most of the things that sprites know how to do are standard methods shared by all Morphs!!

I don't mean to minimize the importance & power of Scratch.  It adds a lot that isn't in Squeak, for instance the whole infrastructure for sharing projects.  Perhaps even more importantly, Scratch functions as an effective filter.  By selecting a very limited range of options, they've made the program more comprehensible-- not only to children, but also to the media, which is truly simple minded.  wink 

It's all well and good to say that you wouldn't be scared off by Scratch having advanced features, but the facts are that Squeak has been "Scratch but with advanced features" for years and no one has paid any attention.  It's slightly scary, and that's more than enough.

So, Roberth, anyone else who's interested, I think what we need to do is go into Squeak and make more entryways, more different views on the power of this set of objects.  Squeak is ready & waiting for an influx of energy aimed at making their objects friendly for children & strangers.  They've been trying to make it happen in various (perhaps sometimes contradictory) ways for years, but I think that Scratch demonstrates what could be a much more effective way of getting it going.

Squeak has been ignored for a long time, but maybe Scratch won't be the last big metaproject that comes out of that box of tricks, and that'd be something pretty hard to ignore.

<3

#13 2007-06-09 13:23:33

rupert
Scratcher

room209 wrote:

One of my main beefs with the EX version of MicroWorlds (a logo product) is that is goes too far.  There is all sorts of cool stuff that you'd use if you knew what you were doing, but it makes things visually more complicated when you work with elementary school students and sometimes slows things down. 

So, I second the request to keep in mind the target audience.  Scratch works nicely for kids.

I agree that MicroWorlds EX has lost the plot.  And it would be a shame to make Scratch too complex. But adding a select few additional features like Comments would be well worth while.

#14 2007-06-09 16:18:23

Roberth
Scratcher

mungojelly wrote:

The advanced tab on Scratch is called "Squeak."  After using it for a few days, I've realized that we hardly need Scratch's source code.  The GUI of Scratch isn't original: It's a GUI called "Morphic" which has become the central user interface concept of Squeak.  The blocks on the left are Morphs that know how to click together, and the sprites on the right are Morphs that follow instructions coded by those blocks.  In fact, most of the things that sprites know how to do are standard methods shared by all Morphs!!

<snip>

So, Roberth, anyone else who's interested, I think what we need to do is go into Squeak and make more entryways, more different views on the power of this set of objects.  Squeak is ready & waiting for an influx of energy aimed at making their objects friendly for children & strangers.  They've been trying to make it happen in various (perhaps sometimes contradictory) ways for years, but I think that Scratch demonstrates what could be a much more effective way of getting it going.

I would like to study Squeak a little bit more than I have so far, although from first glance at how that language is put together, it appears to be something more akin to Python and Ruby.  That something like Scratch can be built upon Squeak does seem to be as a clear demonstration of ability of that language.

But at the same time, I would make the idea that Scratch is as related to Squeak as BASIC is related to FORTRAN.  And for many of the same reasons.  Many of the original language constructs of the original Dartmouth BASIC (I've brought this dialect up in several posts now... as I have used this explicit dialect in addition to the versions on microcomputers) were lifted directly from FORTRAN.  Indeed, some of the early literature called BASIC merely FORTRAN for kids.

I think there is an elegance to Scratch in both aesthetics and on a mathematical level that make it worth exploring how to make this language specification, regardless of the implementation, more powerful but still retain the basic simplicity that has given it the current popularity that it enjoys.  I have seen enough computer languages come and go, with hardcore supporters of each language that I hesitate to get into any sort of religious war over "what language is best".  I've also seen several "teaching languages" turn out to be powerful enough that some professional developers make entire careers using these languages.

I also don't agree with the philosophy that you need to artificially remove functionality for a teaching language.  And often because computer languages focused on instruction really concentrate on syntax and core ideas, they turn out to be better designed language specifications as a whole.  And designers aren't afraid to throw out features which destroy the simplicity, not to mention that more "eyeballs" concentrate on the specification rather than the implementation after the fact.

#15 2007-06-13 16:41:00

MartinWollenweber
Scratcher

"mungojelly" is right to say that SCRATCH is only a kind of “filter"  to SQUEAK and that everyone, who want’s to have advanced features in SCRATCH, should have a closer look at SQUEAK.

In 3/2007 I accidentally found SCRATCH by searching how I could introduce my three children (Valeria 9, Victor 7 and Viola 5) to programming: And it worked! With nearly no typing-abilities they created their own programs and understood basic concepts of software development, while having lots of fun (even more fun, than I had with my first VC20 at the age of 12  smile )

Additionally, I was happy to find out that SCRATCH took me back to my old programming-language-love (after 10 years): SMALLTALK (SQUEAK is the most popular open source implementation of it, it's like LINUX to UNIX). SMALLTALK is the oldest, purest, most powerful and also easiest to learn OO-Programming language. SCRATCH gives a small glance of how it feels, to work inside a net of living objects instead with snippets of dead source code. In SMALLTALK you build up a whole world of related objects with only a hand full of syntax-concepts. Without going to much into “programming language religion" :  It’s that aesthetics that makes some people “feel"  that SMALLTALK could be the right way.

It’s kind of a joke of the IT-history that now, 27 years after introduction of SMALTALK80, it seems to have a big comeback (with SCRATCH, CROQUET, SEASIDE and other popular projects). It was always strange, that the biggest successes of SMALLTALKs world of ideas (e.g. OO-Programming, Windows-Operatingsystem, Mouse-Device, Notebook-PC…) seemed to have no influence to SMALLTALKs own popularity. Its pragmatically but unpure spinoffs got the worlds attraction (e.g. C++, Java, Ruby, MacOS->MS-Windows...) and SMALLTALK stayed in its insider-corner.

Alan Kay - SMALLTAKs main creator and winner of the IT Nobel prize "Turing Award"  -  didn’t seem to have a real worldwide breakthrough with his idea, to make IT easy to understand for everybody - especially for children - until now:
With SCRATCH this breakthrough seems to be nearer than ever before, cause it takes away the complexity, while preserving the feeling of simplicity and power. It would be great, if SCRATCH could be a start for young people, to make their first programming experiences and give them a chance to continue with SMALLTALK if they want more. The SCRATCH-Team could guide that way, e.g. by creating a concept of opening more and more of SCRATCHs “filter"  up to the full SQUEAK-SMALLTALK environment.

Find and put more information at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scratch_%28programming_language%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeak
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Kay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croquet_project
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaside_%28software%29

Last edited by MartinWollenweber (2007-07-09 07:12:06)

Martin
...mitmachen beim  DACH-Scratch-Wiki und Scratch-Wiki-Autor werden!

#16 2007-06-14 03:13:22

Jens
Scratcher

I absolutely agree with mungojelly and Martin: Scratch is cool and probably the best way for kids to get introduced to programming, but if you really want to build powerful, complex and advanced software project, do it like the Scratch-Team and check out Squeak!

Mungojelly, you seem to be referring to the Etoys-gui of Squeak, in which you can assemble morphs using the mouse and change their properties using viewers. Squeak, however, - as Martin pointed out, is a lot more, namely a fully featured professional Smalltalk environment.

It does seem strange that Squeak has virtually gone unnoticed for the past 10 years, while Scratch - being build on top of it and featuring only a very limited subset of its functions and ideas - really takes off. But it is a point in study about how to build a nice and simple gui, something that Squeak/Etoys has always had problems with, and which just now seems to be fixed for the OLPC.

Also, I do like the Scratch java player and the web 2.0 style site.

But I can't wait for the Scratch source code to be posted. I really believe, it's going to warp interest in Squeak. So many ideas could be checked out: How about blocks with graphical labels instead of titles texts?, how about creating tools to inspect and follow broadcasts throughout your code, how about implementing subroutines etc etc.

Again: If you're after powerful Scratch, go for Squeak!

Last edited by Jens (2007-06-14 03:15:27)

Jens Mönig

#17 2007-06-14 11:37:44

DrJim
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

It does seem strange that Squeak has virtually gone unnoticed for the past 10 years ...

I'm not sure that the problem is so much unnoticed as generally incomprehensible - is there a simple and brief description of the Scratch/Squeak relationship somewhere?

Back to my first comment, taking a quick look at the Squeak website, one can start with it's predecessor (and core?):

"Philosophically, Smalltalk's objects have much in common with the monads of Leibniz … each Smalltalk object is a recursion on the entire possibilities of the computer."
and progress to Croquet and its "multi-user, virtual 3D metaverses." (Is it 2D or single-user metaverses that are outdated?)

Back when I was in college, there was a proposal to allow one to substitute a computer language for one of the approved options for the foreign language requirement.  It was rejected because a computer language wasn't then regarded as truly a foreign language - the CS faculty's reply was "well, we're working on that." (I think they were joking but I've never been totally sure.)

#18 2007-06-23 15:48:46

mungojelly
Scratcher

Etoys is another language in the ladder, a bit above Scratch.  The only rung above that on the Squeak path is to learn to talk to the objects directly in Smalltalk-80.  By reading the source.  (It's not nearly as hard as it sounds!  But it's still hard.)

If reading & writing source code were still the only meaningful way possible of programming a computer, then it might be just as well to leave it this way.  But I think that the intermediate languages we could create between toy languages like Scratch and full languages like Smalltalk could be useful in themselves.  If there were more rungs in the ladder, then someone who climbed up just halfway to Smalltalk wouldn't be merely an incompetent Smalltalk programmer-- they'd be a fully competent Half-Smalltalk programmer!

I don't think that it's even necessary to create particular software tools in order to do the filtering that's necessary.  A different way to do it would be just to define a subset of Squeak.  Squeak is presently overfeatured by just about any standard, and certainly too complex for a simple introduction-- but it has plenty of subsets which are fully featured and simple enough.  If a group of people just agreed on what to teach first, there could be the simplicity necessary for an active community of learners.

<3

#19 2007-07-02 08:03:12

VincentValentine
Scratcher

I'm a total newby when it comes to programming, and my brother introduced me to scratch. I'm currently 18 years old and doing a beta study (not sure if beta is an internationally accepted term, but it means that it's based on subject like math, chemistry, physics and logic).
As a result I found Scratch really easy to use and it's quite fun, but I'm also seeing some limits of Scratch.
I suspect I'm not the only one who's been introduced to programming with Scratch, and now feel like they want to move on to something more advanced, or pursue different interests.
That's why I propose that if the Scratch-team doesn't want to improve Scratch too much in order to keep it simple enough for beginners, which I respect, then they should atleast point out that there are more advanced options out there. I happened to come across this forum and noticed some people recommended Squeak, I'll look into that. Thanks for the recommendation. But in order to prevent people from losing interest, there has to be a follow up program clearly "advertised". You might even think of an option in the extra menu of Scratch, that will allow extra options, so that beginners will maintain the easy to use interface, while people who want to move on can implement one new feature at a time in the extra's menu to experiment with them.

#20 2007-07-25 11:32:31

MartinWollenweber
Scratcher

DrJim wrote:

is there a simple and brief description of the Scratch/Squeak relationship somewhere?

For getting from Scratch to Squeak see:
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Jens/22355
You will have a very fascinating Scratch experience
(Thank you Jens for finding "the Matrix like Redpill" to get to the other side)

Last edited by MartinWollenweber (2007-07-25 14:13:35)

Martin
...mitmachen beim  DACH-Scratch-Wiki und Scratch-Wiki-Autor werden!

#21 2007-07-25 12:20:01

_Dragon_MC_
Scratcher

rivendell wrote:

I don't think that just because a feature might be "complicated" means you have to leave it out or hide it.  For example, most of us never use most of the "complicated" modes on our digital cameras.  We know they're there if we have the knowledge and need them, but we can use the cameras just fine without paying any attention to them.

Just because you include stuff in Scratch and make it more full-featured doesn't mean you have to use the stuff.  For example, look at the "broadcast" capability already in there.  For kids who are just figuring out loops and conditionals, it's far too much.  But it's in there for those who can take advantage of it.

I agree completely with rivendell. Just because the features are in there doesn't mean you have to use them (or, in the case of teaching, have to teach the students how to use them)!

When I was ten (I'm eleven now), I wanted to learn how to make video games. Then my parents found a summer camp group called iD Tech, which teaches kids how to use programs. One of these camps was Video Game Creation. In that camp, I was taught how to make video games using a program called Multimedia Fusion 2, by Clickteam. Later, my parents bought MMF2 for me, and I still use it today. That software is very powerful and contains many different features, but I wasn't taught how to use them in the camp; I was only taught the basics. (I later went to the Video Game Creation XTreme camp and was taught more advanced techniques.) There are still some features that I don't use!

My point is, just because everything can be used doesn't mean you have to use everything. I have a lot of programs that I don't use all the features of.

Nine out of every two people don't understand fractions!

#22 2008-03-28 21:59:04

richiepoo
Scratcher

I agree that the Scratch team is doing a really good job developing Scratch, however I think that they should gradually try to expand Scratch.  I think that the team should make a version of Scratch with more advanced features, like true/false variables and possibly arrays. 

Scratch PRO

#23 2008-03-28 22:21:55

richiepoo
Scratcher

Scratch PRO could have the normal Scratch interface and have all of the same features but also new features like true/false variables and sprite cloning.  I don't think that there should be a camera hook up because that could really get weird on the internet.  Also any projects made with Scratch PRO (if there is ever a Scratch PRO) should say that they were made with PRO near the title so that people would know that the project uses advanced features.  Keep Scratch FREE!

#24 2008-03-28 22:48:03

archmage
Scratcher

Richiepoo, that is not a good idea. Scratch was made for everyone to use. There shouldn't be a pro version that only experienced users can use.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#25 2008-03-29 13:07:05

fullmoon
Retired Community Moderator

I don't see what the big deal is here. At age twelve and having little experience in object-oriented programming, I picked up Scratch in a matter of days. I doubt that many of the blocks suggested (involving strings, arrays, and OS/net integration) would be very confusing to the thousands of kids learning Scratch. My point is, you either understand what Scratch is or you don't. A few extra blocks with names less confusing than their technical terms ("words" for strings, "lists" for one-dimensional arrays) won't make much of a difference in anyone's understanding of Scratch.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/fullmoon32/wow.jpg

Board footer