This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2010-07-17 21:01:26

ihaveamac
Scratcher

Re: Scratch Resources is released!

Jonathanpb wrote:

Scratch Resources is so awesome!  big_smile

Chrischb wrote:

OH WOW

It's been years since we've released it. XD
I'm one of the people on the team. I'm simply someone who approves appropriate things.  tongue

Oh, and you posted at the same time again.

Last edited by ihaveamac (2010-07-17 21:02:35)

~ihaveamac - visit ihaveamac.net

#52 2010-07-17 21:39:54

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Just a question, I don't know if this is doable, but can you make it so that it shows how many downloads a sprite, sound, etc. has? I just want to see how many people download the resources I share.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#53 2010-07-17 21:56:14

coolstuff
Community Moderator

gettysburg11 wrote:

Just a question, I don't know if this is doable, but can you make it so that it shows how many downloads a sprite, sound, etc. has? I just want to see how many people download the resources I share.

I actually just suggested that:

Here's the post.

#54 2010-07-17 21:59:07

ihaveamac
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

I actually just suggested that:

Here's the post.

We can see it, and actually edit that value. I could make my script have 1000000000 downloads when only 13 people downloaded it.

#55 2010-07-17 22:01:55

fullmoon
Retired Community Moderator

WOW. Blown away. I especially love how you handled the search feature, it's great to be able to preview sounds!

*Moment of respectful silence*

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/fullmoon32/wow.jpg

#56 2010-07-17 22:05:27

ihaveamac
Scratcher

fullmoon wrote:

WOW. Blown away. I especially love how you handled the search feature, it's great to be able to preview sounds!

*Moment of respectful silence*

We also got an uploader!

#57 2010-07-17 22:10:36

coka
Scratcher

It is amazing! I can't wait to use it more often. The more we contribute, the more we have to use! I never knew how great it would turn out!  wink  Thanks for taking the large amount of time to put this all together.

Last edited by coka (2010-07-17 22:11:29)

http://i42.tinypic.com/2rot8c2.png

#58 2010-07-17 22:12:32

gettysburg11
Scratcher

I have a bunch of songs I've recorded for projects that I'll upload tomorrow.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#59 2010-07-17 22:17:26

Lightnin
Scratch Team

This is so awesome! Wow, I'm really impressed. Hats off to JSO and everyone who helped make Scratch Resources possible!

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#60 2010-07-17 22:19:38

ihaveamac
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

This is so awesome! Wow, I'm really impressed. Hats off to JSO and everyone who helped make Scratch Resources possible!

JSO Suggested that SR should be implemented into scratch.

Last edited by ihaveamac (2010-07-17 22:19:50)

#61 2010-07-17 22:22:59

adriangl
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

After having browsed the website for a little bit of time, I figured I might as well make a suggestion:

Each item, I feel, should have a page - it just feels rather incomplete without one. Maybe there could be some sort of a love-it button for sprites, number of downloads, etcetera. It just feels like we're not getting enough info on each sprite, I feel reluctant to download one.

Of course, that's probably a lot more work than you want to do... Just something to think about  smile

That is a suggestion that we got from various people before. It is doable, and then people would be able to find resources via the Google search bar, but then think about it. There are about 110 resources up, and that's just now. Automatically making a page for each resource would add up to a lot of pages.

Simple Solution: You know when you are uploading a resource there is a text box labeled 'comments'? That's not for "I just made this cat sprite", it's for "A simple cat, it is red and orange, and it has a long tail". Now that there have been many suggestions, I'll talk with JSO about giving a bigger hint about to what extent you should describe your resource  smile

Scratchin' since 2007

#62 2010-07-17 22:24:10

adriangl
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Why, thank you  tongue

@Ihaveamac JSO meant more of a mod than the actual Scratch program  smile

Scratchin' since 2007

#63 2010-07-17 22:29:12

coolstuff
Community Moderator

adriangl wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

After having browsed the website for a little bit of time, I figured I might as well make a suggestion:

Each item, I feel, should have a page - it just feels rather incomplete without one. Maybe there could be some sort of a love-it button for sprites, number of downloads, etcetera. It just feels like we're not getting enough info on each sprite, I feel reluctant to download one.

Of course, that's probably a lot more work than you want to do... Just something to think about  smile

That is a suggestion that we got from various people before. It is doable, and then people would be able to find resources via the Google search bar, but then think about it. There are about 110 resources up, and that's just now. Automatically making a page for each resource would add up to a lot of pages.

Simple Solution: You know when you are uploading a resource there is a text box labeled 'comments'? That's not for "I just made this cat sprite", it's for "A simple cat, it is red and orange, and it has a long tail". Now that there have been many suggestions, I'll talk with JSO about giving a bigger hint about to what extent you should describe your resource  smile

Well, it wouldn't have to make an official page for each resource - for example, many websites simply use their database to generate those pages based on how the user got there. Usually you can add the data to the URL to determine what the page will look like, for example, there isn't a page for each individual topic on these forums - if you look at the address bar, there's a "?" and then some data following that. That data prompts the server to retrieve the data from a database and turn it into a viewable webpage. That's called the "$_POST" method.

You can also do the same thing with the $_GET method, but the data isn't displayed in the address bar - it's useful for login scripts and things that need to be a little more secure.

#64 2010-07-17 22:35:13

adriangl
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

Well, it wouldn't have to make an official page for each resource - for example, many websites simply use their database to generate those pages based on how the user got there. Usually you can add the data to the URL to determine what the page will look like, for example, there isn't a page for each individual topic on these forums - if you look at the address bar, there's a "?" and then some data following that. That data prompts the server to retrieve the data from a database and turn it into a viewable webpage. That's called the "$_POST" method.

You can also do the same thing with the $_GET method, but the data isn't displayed in the address bar - it's useful for login scripts and things that need to be a little more secure.

Sorry, I'm not an expert on PHP, JSO is  tongue  But I can see your point, it would be cool to see stats for individual projects, but it would be some extra work. I'll add it to the suggestion list....well, the one that doesn't exist, yet  big_smile

Scratchin' since 2007

#65 2010-07-17 22:46:15

Lucario621
Community Moderator

adriangl wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

Hey - the Scratch Website has at millions of pages. Why not yours?

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#66 2010-07-17 22:53:25

fullmoon

coolstuff wrote:

*le gasp!* You're confusing POST and GET!  wink

But coolstuff is right. One page is all you need. That would also give you the chance to add a comment function!

#67 2010-07-17 22:53:39

what-the
Scratcher

Sweet.

http://imageshack.us/m/64/9034/ddfss.pngMy site
Find someone post count. Click posts under username. Find number of pages. Times that by 40 for min and 60 for max and you have a rough estimate of post count.

#68 2010-07-17 23:04:36

coolstuff
Community Moderator

fullmoon wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

*le gasp!* You're confusing POST and GET!  wink

But coolstuff is right. One page is all you need. That would also give you the chance to add a comment function!

My goodness, I did confuse the two! Silly me. Though there doesn't really seem to be much reasoning behind the naming so you can't blame me for not remembering.  wink

#69 2010-07-17 23:09:07

fullmoon

I think POST is so named because the data is stored in the POST headers of the HTTP request...or something.

#70 2010-07-17 23:09:08

what-the
Scratcher

Has anyone made a point to x y script making tutorial? because I want to make one.

http://imageshack.us/m/64/9034/ddfss.pngMy site
Find someone post count. Click posts under username. Find number of pages. Times that by 40 for min and 60 for max and you have a rough estimate of post count.

#71 2010-07-17 23:30:06

fullmoon

what-the wrote:

Has anyone made a point to x y script making tutorial? because I want to make one.

Here's a great project that has a script for this:

http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Fourex/315251

#72 2010-07-18 00:02:57

Sunrise-Moon
Scratcher

adriangl wrote:

Sunrise-Moon wrote:

adriangl wrote:

Okay, we have just fixed the login problem, if you are still having trouble logging in, please tell us  smile

Still not working for me  sad

Hmm, really? That's very strange. Other members who said they had the same problem were able to login after the fix. Can you tell em exactly what happens when you try to login?

It takes me to the page that says that I entered my username or password in incorrectly, which is impossible because I just logged in with the exact username and password I tried on Scratch Resources  yikes

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u427/HulKDzN/RebornBlade.png

#73 2010-07-18 00:50:37

Chrischb
Scratcher

I shared an image of a ship.  big_smile

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#74 2010-07-18 01:25:51

adriangl
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

Hey - the Scratch Website has at millions of pages. Why not yours?

We don't have as much storage space  wink

@fullmoon+coolstuff
I gave the idea to JSO and we will talk it over  smile  Thanks for the suggestion!

@Sunrise-Moon
Hmm, that's very strange. Everyone else seems to be able to login. And JSO has checked it over. I'm pretty sure it's not internal-everyone else can login, so try resetting your password to your current password and try again  smile

Scratchin' since 2007

#75 2010-07-18 04:38:46

JSO
Community Moderator

@everyone Thank you *so much* for all the positive reactions, please don't hesitate to download and upload resources but be aware that we review them before they actually appear.

Also feel free to make suggestions  big_smile

@adriangl Those pages don't take space ;D For example, the browse page is 1 page although it serves a lot of different sortings and stuff

@coolstuff & others I am indeed planning to make an intermediate page in between the overview (e.g. the search results or the home page) and the actual download. Because it feels better, and also because Google can index those pages so people can look for resources through the Google search too. The fact that those pages are absent is the reason why the custom Google search returns no hits right now  wink

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2v1q0e9.jpg

Board footer