This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-06-13 10:15:59

elonbomani
New Scratcher

How Can Newbie kids Use Scratch

My son is 10 years old. He wants to learn how to program games? How can he best use this site.

Moreover, how can he learn how to become a programmer? He is unschooled and loves computers and games.

I think this will teach him a lot of foundamental learning skills in a fun way. This is my goal.

Elon Bomani
[link removed by moderator]

[Moderator Edit: Links to commercial websites are not allowed in the forums. Please refrain from putting commercial links in the forums.]

Last edited by cheddargirl (2010-06-13 10:22:00)

#2 2010-06-13 10:23:00

shamrocker
Scratcher

Re: How Can Newbie kids Use Scratch

Sorry, for one, this website doesn't support HTML. Second, the easiest thing to do, as my friend is doing, is simple things, like making a red dot go to your mouse pointer, and a green dot follow the red dot. He can learn to be a programmer from trying PHP and HTML, though. And Bash. Well, first, I need to post the blocks and block uses on the forums. 3: I forgot the most important thing in Scratch!  yikes  Well, I'll help a little more once I am done with my new guide. XD

http://i46.tinypic.com/2s1b32e.png
respect the oxford comma

#3 2010-06-13 12:39:06

Greatdane
Scratcher

The best way to use Scratch is the way it is meant to be used-make it tinkerable. Just download and install it, and let your son play with it. Sign up for an account on the website and upload projects there.

Once he has grown out of Scratch, you can set him in courses of Python or Java.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
        ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

#4 2010-06-13 21:55:53

helltank
Scratcher

I'll never grow out of scratch! Anyway, Greatdane's suggestion is a good one. It's what I did when I was eleven....*doesn't mention that he is STILL eleven* Also, try not to "help" him too much. Let him explore. If he makes a mistake, he learns from it.  big_smile

Error:Signature could not load. Please wait for an indefinite amount of time, until you realize you're gullible and go off to look for another potentially interesting signature to stare at.

#5 2010-06-16 17:07:22

Aidan
Scratcher

About how to learn to become one: He can...
1) Look at some tutorials. There are tons on Scratch  smile
2) Download some games and figure out how they work.
Hope this helped  smile

#6 2010-06-17 21:59:19

PW132
Scratcher

elonbomani wrote:

My son is 10 years old. He wants to learn how to program games? How can he best use this site.

Moreover, how can he learn how to become a programmer? He is unschooled and loves computers and games.

I think this will teach him a lot of foundamental learning skills in a fun way. This is my goal.

Elon Bomani
[link removed by moderator]

[Moderator Edit: Links to commercial websites are not allowed in the forums. Please refrain from putting commercial links in the forums.]

It's not all that hard, really!  big_smile  In fact, as long as he knows a bit of math, I BET he could figure it out himself. (like I did!)

SCRATCH 2.0 OHHHHH MANNNNNNN
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b107/PsychicDeath/universe.gif

Board footer