This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2008-03-06 11:34:58

Jens
Scratcher

Re: Chirp: A Community Edition Based On Scratch

Naw, don't give up yet! How about porting the ScratchPresenterMorph to Sun Lab's (Dan Ingalls') Lively Kernel instead?

http://research.sun.com/projects/lively

That would be sooo much cooler than flash....

Jens Mönig

#27 2008-03-08 19:16:40

midnightleopard
Scratcher

your sosmart

http://pwp.wizards.com/5103673563/Scorecards/Landscape.png

#28 2008-03-11 06:32:45

Jens
Scratcher

update: Using your Scratch projects as Windows screensavers, website

Thanks to Andrés and the Scratch Team Chirp now has its own website at:

http://www.chirp.scratchr.org

I am so grateful to them for this space! There's also a blog for "breaking news", I'm still struggling with the details of html and website maintenance, though...

I have just updated Chirp with the following three new features:

1) Whenever you run a project in presentation mode by using the "presentation" command line option and press the return-button, Chirp will directly exit back to the OS (and not switch to development mode).

2) If you start Chirp with the "presentation"  command line argument without specifying a Scratch project, it will run a random project from the Scratch-projects folder. If that folder is empty Chirp will start in development mode instead.

3) Building on these modifications I have written a tiny Windows screensaver (Chirp.scr) which plugs into the Windows screensaver list and thereby lets you use your own Scratch projects as Windows screensavers.

You can upgrade to the current version by downloading the Windows installer and installing it over your current Chirp installation (no need to uninstall Chirp first).

I have tested the Screensaver under Windows XP and ME. I would be grateful if someone could test it under Vista and tell me if it works.

Jens Mönig

#29 2008-03-11 12:52:54

ScipioBellorum
Scratcher

The new website looks great and the screensaver idea is brilliant - if you made a project that made a man move when you pressed the arrow keys, would thi swork on a screensaver? One little error is that on the NavBar it says Schratch instead of Scratch.

SB

http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/339/logory8.png
                      The word processor for Scratch

#30 2008-03-11 13:29:42

Jens
Scratcher

Thanks SB!

Chirp lets you use your Scratch projects as fully interactive screensavers, just like you programmed them.

The screensaver plays any Scratch project exactly like the Scratch presentation mode (which it in fact is). It is not aborted by any mouse/keyboard action. To get out of the screensaver you simply click on the "return" button or hit the "Esc" key.

(a technical sidenote: The Chirp.scr is nothing but a tiny executable which calls the Scratch.exe with the chirp.remix image and the "presentation" command line option, if called itself with the /s option set, and asserting that only a single screensaver instance runs at a time)

Jens Mönig

#31 2008-03-11 14:02:34

Calimero_200
Scratcher

Hey Jens!
Great idea. Might download later - bit busy at the moment to do it but hey!

Calimero

#32 2008-03-12 07:05:48

Jens
Scratcher

bugfix: I have corrected a nasty typo when changing variable setter blocks through the context menu.

Jens Mönig

#33 2008-03-15 07:08:46

ihaveamac
Scratcher

How did you change the icon?

~ihaveamac - visit ihaveamac.net

#34 2008-03-15 11:04:03

Jens
Scratcher

The graphical elements of the Scratch IDE are stored in a class variable named "ScratchSkin" in class "ScratchFrameMorph". ScratchSkin is a Dictionary associating forms (color bitmaps) with symbols representing graphical elements of the IDE. If you inspect it you'll find an entry called something along the line of  "#scratchLogo". Just exchange it with your own form (Hint: I found this  to work best when importing an equally dimensioned Gif - you can save the ScratchLogo as Gif, overdraw it, and then file it back in).

Did that help?

Jens Mönig

#35 2008-03-15 18:31:40

Hobbs1100
Scratcher

Wow. Amazing. This is so useful. I've actually seen commercials for a different Chirp on T.V.. It's some kind of home insurance deal for older people. Lol. I think it's only for Canadians though.

#36 2008-03-16 06:18:43

ihaveamac
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

The graphical elements of the Scratch IDE are stored in a class variable named "ScratchSkin" in class "ScratchFrameMorph". ScratchSkin is a Dictionary associating forms (color bitmaps) with symbols representing graphical elements of the IDE. If you inspect it you'll find an entry called something along the line of  "#scratchLogo". Just exchange it with your own form (Hint: I found this  to work best when importing an equally dimensioned Gif - you can save the ScratchLogo as Gif, overdraw it, and then file it back in).

Did that help?

It helps how to make the logo, but where do I go to change it?

#37 2008-03-16 07:15:17

Jacobo
Scratcher

Cool Jens. Could you make it choose a specific screensaver though.

"It's like deja vu all over again"
-Yogi Berra

#38 2008-03-16 09:02:52

EdnaC
Scratcher

Jacobo,
I had the same thought, but didn't say anything because Jens had enought to do! 

A simple workaround is to make a sub-folder to put all of your projects in, and just place a copy of the one that you want back in the "Projects" folder.

-MrEd

#39 2008-03-16 12:19:34

Jacobo
Scratcher

Yeah. I thought of that but it would get confusing when you were opening projects. Oh well.
smile   cool   big_smile

Last edited by Jacobo (2008-03-16 12:19:58)

"It's like deja vu all over again"
-Yogi Berra

#40 2008-03-16 15:42:11

Jens
Scratcher

Should I make the screensaver configurable? The reason I didn't was that I'm reluctant to provide translation strings for languages other than English....

Jens Mönig

#41 2008-03-16 17:20:50

Hobbs1100
Scratcher

Hobbs1100 wrote:

Wow. Amazing. This is so useful. I've actually seen commercials for a different Chirp on T.V.. It's some kind of home insurance deal for older people. Lol. I think it's only for Canadians though.

Oops. It's actually called Chip home income plan. My bad. But that was the the first thing that came to mind when I saw the word "Chirp" on the forums. Lol.

#42 2008-03-20 19:32:09

pandadark
Scratcher

neat

Okay, want to know a secret? Okay, CLICK HERE    haha. Gotcha!

#43 2008-03-21 19:37:51

DemonFork
Scratcher

how do u import scripts on the scratch gamemaker program?

#44 2008-03-22 09:24:53

Jens
Scratcher

I'm not sure what you mean, DemonFork. In my experimental Chirp-program you export / import single scripts (block stacks) using the right mouse-button click.

Jens Mönig

#45 2008-04-11 10:29:53

costellorob
Scratcher

Hi Jens

like the code window resize feature

can you give an overview of the development cycle involved in your mods

is scratch.exe (or squeak.exe) the "virtual machine" in squeak?

then scratch.image (or squeak.image) is what? - the memory allocated to the squeak environment; (and thus the smalltalk environment) 

are you coding in smalltalk to modify the functionality (and the image)?

how do you open the source code?

trying to get my head around the architecture - have played with squeak a little on educational fronts

#46 2008-04-14 01:38:10

Jens
Scratcher

Hi costellorob,

Thanks for your interest in my little remixes! Let me try to answer some of your questions:

I'm not sure if there is any development cycle regarding my add-ons to Scratch. Most of them were more or less spontaneous indeas I quickly coded, shared, and then debugged, which lead to frequent updates of "Chirp". Currently I'm trying to find a way to incorporate lists/arrays into Chirp without breaking Scratch-compatibility or with at least allowing for "backward" compatibility. I'm not sure, however, if that is feasible at all. Then there are some other minor plans I've got, like finishing the xml export-import, adding vertical resizability and debugging/incorporating Scratch2Exe into one single release.

Scratch is a Squeak Smalltalk environment. You're right assuming that Scratch.exe is a (stock) Squeak virtual machine. You can also use any other Squeak VM (although I sometimes encounter errors when I try the newer versions, so it's best to stick with Scratch.exe).

The *.image files are Smalltalk images and thus an integral part of the executable. You can compare an image with what you get when you suspend an OS to disk, or, as Mick once observed "a Scratch image is sort of like Squeak in a Halloween costume". You can edit the image if it is not "locked down". The official Scratch.image is pretty much "locked down" and cannot be edited easily. However, the Scratch Source Code image is a fine developer's image which you can edit/mod/remix by following John's instructions on the download page.

Coding in Squeak Smalltalk is not hard and great fun. Scratch is a wonderful application and you can learn a lot by just browsing its code. I'd really like Chirp to evolve into a community edition so I'd like to encourage people to submit changesets/Smalltalk code or graphics!

Jens Mönig

#47 2008-04-20 10:59:38

s_federici
Scratcher

Wonderful Jens, after having added on the fly the capability of changing variables names in the Scratch IDE and importing/exporting scripts, you read my mind and added lists to Scratch! I don't think a need anything else (at least, for now,  wink  ) to happily use the wonderful Scratch as a perfect programming language for learners. Long life to Chirp (at least until Scratch doesn't conform to it)!

I have only one practical problem with the list add-on. I would like to add it to my xml+options modified image. But then, when I then try to load one of your demo project for lists in my modified image I get a "could not read: key not found" error message. The same happens if I add the list to the original scratch 1.2.1 image.

Instead, the full scratchlists3 package works fine. But it doesn't contain the xml+option additions.

Is this something that other scratchers reported?

Thanks for your invaluable help and support (to the whole community)

Stefano

#48 2008-04-21 02:16:22

Jens
Scratcher

Stefano, thank you for trying the experimental lists-prototype and for your positive feedback. That's very encouraging! The reason you get an error when trying to open one of my list-demo projects in Chirp (or Scratch) is that I have not yet merged my still experimental list-prototype with Chirp.

Chirp is pretty stable and - more important - fully compatible with Scratch. The Lists prototype required a change to the file format which makes these demo projects incompatible with Scratch. I'm currently expanding the scope of what you can do with lists (adding some more functionality). Then I'll try to come up with a way to integrate them into Chirp. Please be patient, as I'm doing this just for a hobby whenever I find some spare time  smile

Jens Mönig

#49 2008-04-21 07:21:45

s_federici
Scratcher

Ok, I'll try to be patient but... I can't promise I will succeed! I'm really glad you are still working to improve this very important addition.

I am also "making fantasies" about the announced netscratch (that I fear will allow my students to chat during practical exam sessions... will there be a way to avoid it?!?!?  yikes  I always have them connected to the net, dowloading exam material from our e-learning platform and then upload their final documents back to the platform... the set of allowed websites is filtered and non-http calls are blocked (e.g. they can't use ftp); do you think there is a way to ask netscratch people to take this point into account?).

I think that now Scrach has only one missing feature (that I'm sure is missing due to the applet/share philosophy): file handling. This is really necessary after you have finished a cool game: how are you going to save top scores?

And... I will be patient Jens, I promise  smile

Last edited by s_federici (2008-04-21 07:22:29)

#50 2008-05-29 06:46:00

ihaveamac
Scratcher

I still can't change the logo.

Board footer