This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Scratch Clubs: A proposal for a filtered version of the Scratch site

#1 2008-02-22 08:53:22

karenb
Scratch Team

Scratch Clubs: A proposal for a filtered version of the Scratch site

Last month, we asked you for feedback about what a filtered Scratch site might look like. (http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2933)

We hope that you will now provide more feedback on the following plan, which is based on your responses, for creating a site for schools and other interested groups.

The new site would be called scratchclubs.mit.edu. All content (like projects and comments) on this site would be reviewed by Scratch Club leaders to ensure that it is appropriate before being posted. Educators and others interested in leading a Scratch Club would go through an application process to become a Scratch Club leader.

Scratch Club leaders would commit to screen projects from their members to make sure that the members abide by the Scratch Club guidelines for content, so that the content is appropriate for all ages.  These guidelines would be similar to many school rules for what is considered appropriate: no lewd images, no coarse language, no graphic violence, etc.

Each Scratch Club would also be part of the larger Scratch Club website. This would allow a Scratch Club’s members to share projects with each other, and allow them to learn from projects created by other Scratch Clubs. Scratch Club projects would also be posted to the main Scratch site, with control over comments.

We would like your feedback:
(1) Would a reviewed-content Scratch website make you (or the young people you work with) more willing to explore Scratch projects online? Why or why not?
(2) Would you be interested in contributing to the proposed Scratch Club website by becoming a Scratch Club Leader? Why or why not?
(3) Would you be willing to review the projects and comments created by the members of your Scratch Club before they were posted? Why or why not?

Thanks!

#2 2008-02-22 10:12:26

SimpleScratch
Scratcher

Re: Scratch Clubs: A proposal for a filtered version of the Scratch site

(1) Would a reviewed-content Scratch website make you (or the young people you work with) more willing to explore Scratch projects online?

Yes - if I could review projects before posting and not allow any messaging/forums for club members.

(2) Would you be interested in contributing to the proposed Scratch Club website by becoming a Scratch Club Leader? Why or why not?

Yes as above.

(3) Would you be willing to review the projects and comments created by the members of your Scratch Club before they were posted? Why or why not?

Pref like option to disable comments/messaging but would be willing to review if not possible

regards

Simon

#3 2008-02-22 11:03:00

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I already allow my Tech Club kids full access to the scratch.mit.edu website.  Few of them use it, as they are more interested in their own stuff.

Being Forum Moderator already takes up more time than I have available, so I would not be willing to take on more censorship roles.

I hope that the existence of the filtered site does not cause the main site to degenerate.  I'd hate to see a lessening of civility here.

#4 2008-02-22 11:17:53

adriangl
Scratcher

(1) It is better for young users. They can see better scratch projects(no bad things) and get to know scratch better.
(2) I would like a club with a club leader so if there is something we don't get, we could ask someone in the club.
(3) I would like to see projects before they are posted to make sure they are okay for young users.

Scratchin' since 2007

#5 2008-02-22 13:46:39

Jens
Scratcher

I agree with Kevin in that I would really like *this* site to be the one fit for *all*. I don't really follow some of the stern ways propagated mostly by British teachers, and I fail to understand some of the "bad language" concerns brought forth by Americans. However, if the powers that be *demand* more dominant censorship in order to let children come on-line at all, let's amend the Terms of Use for *this* site, and make this site even nicer and more politically correct!

Jens Mönig

#6 2008-02-22 14:16:52

Lanie
Scratcher

I do think it would be easier though to have i all on one site. I love this site so much and wouldn't want the other one interfering with the people who come over here and forget about this one

#7 2008-02-22 14:53:01

Mayhem
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

I agree with Kevin in that I would really like *this* site to be the one fit for *all*. I don't really follow some of the stern ways propagated mostly by British teachers, and I fail to understand some of the "bad language" concerns brought forth by Americans. However, if the powers that be *demand* more dominant censorship in order to let children come on-line at all, let's ammend the Terms of Use for *this* site, and make this site even nicer and more politically correct!

Jens raises a good point - if scratch is really aimed at young children, then make *this* site adhere to the required level of censorship and eliminate the need for two different sites.

Those wanting to make programs that fall outside the censorship level will still be able to do so, they just won't be able to share them on this site.

Of course, there is one major problem with this idea - the huge number of projects already existant that would need to be reviewed...

Web-spinning Spider:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/18456
3D Dungeon Adventure:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/23570
Starfighter X: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/21825
Wandering Knight: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/28484

#8 2008-02-22 14:59:27

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Jens wrote:

I agree with Kevin in that I would really like *this* site to be the one fit for *all*. I don't really follow some of the stern ways propagated mostly by British teachers, and I fail to understand some of the "bad language" concerns brought forth by Americans. However, if the powers that be *demand* more dominant censorship in order to let children come on-line at all, let's ammend the Terms of Use for *this* site, and make this site even nicer and more politically correct!

I agree with Kevin and Jens on this one.  Have we done all we can to try to keep *this* site clean and polite before we build an entirely separate monitored site?  How about more accountablity for the user accounts - maybe users should be required to provide a credit card number before they are given an account that can upload projects.  Any inappropriate comments or projects would invoke an automatic $10 fine against the credit card.  That would probably encourage a little more adherence to the Terms of Use (and generate funding for the Team too!). 

Another thought would be to put the Terms of Use in front of the prospective user before they are allowed to share a project (similar to the License Agreements we have to click through to install software).  This would remind folks of the standards that we are looking for here.  As far as comments...there could be short reminder there as well.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#9 2008-02-22 16:07:31

karenb
Scratch Team

Thank you so much for your quick responses! There are several important issues that have been raised and I would like to address some of them.

There seems to be concern about the splitting of the current Scratch site. Practically, it will remain one site, with two different ways of looking at the content. All of the Scratch Clubs projects will be posted to the main site, and the Scratch Clubs URL will simply act as a lens or filter on the main site. Given that the filtered content would also be displayed on the main site, all Scratchers can benefit from this pre-screened content.

There are also suggestions about how inappropriate content could be avoided, such as amending the Terms of Use or fining credit cards. A challenge with these types of systems is that they are reactive. The question becomes: how can we avoid (or further minimize) the appearance of inappropriate content on the site to begin with (more proactive than reactive)? By having Scratch Club leaders review the content before it is made public, we hope that there will be less need for reactive measures.

The typical participation scenario we imagine for Scratch Clubs is that of a teacher and her/his students. A teacher creates accounts for the students, who then submit projects and comments to the teacher for review. This enables teachers to provide ongoing support to students, while addressing school-based concerns about student access to inappropriate content.

We love the Scratch site and appreciate all of the amazing work that happens here. We intend to continue supporting this work, while simultaneously supporting the needs of educators.

#10 2008-02-22 16:07:56

relyt12101
Scratcher

I can see your where you are all getting on this. Kevin and Jens do make a point though. Also, there isn't a lot of 'inappropriate' content on this site.

~~

Mayhem wrote:

Jens raises a good point - if scratch is really aimed at young children, then make *this* site adhere to the required level of censorship and eliminate the need for two different sites.

Those wanting to make programs that fall outside the censorship level will still be able to do so, they just won't be able to share them on this site.

Of course, there is one major problem with this idea - the huge number of projects already existant that would need to be reviewed...

Agreed.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2860/pspbanneregg089deiy0.png

#11 2008-02-22 16:39:45

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

I am glad to hear that the Scratch Club projects will be visible on the main site.  So at least the public can benefit from (but probably not comment on) their work even if they can't benefit from ours.

Will there be a mechanisim for the Teacher (or Club Leader) to refer a student to a project on the unfiltered main site, if the Teacher deems it useful for the student?   There's a year's worth of projects out there that have a lot of useful techniques in them.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#12 2008-02-22 17:29:51

xyxzergames
Scratcher

karenb wrote:

We would like your feedback:
(1) Would a reviewed-content Scratch website make you (or the young people you work with) more willing to explore Scratch projects online? Why or why not?

I would really enjoy a reviewed-content Scratch website. This is a great opportunity for kids to explore Scratch with absolutely no fear of being exposed to things that are inappropriate for their viewing.

karenb wrote:

I would definitely be interested. I believe that the more "Scratch Club Leaders" that you can get, the better. I think that this would be a great way for me to get more involved in such a wonderful project as Scratch.

karenb wrote:

Yes, I definitely would. The projects and comments need to be reviewed before they are posted to the Scratch club. I think that this would be another great opportunity for Scratch to open it's borders to a wider spectrum of audience.
<switch to costume[ Wave> Bye!

Tip of the Hat UNIVERSE - A Website for our friends, TOTH Productions
http://www.ftcsm.co.nr/webmaster/UNIVERSE
Help Stop GLOBAL WARMING
http://www.stopglobalwarming.org

#13 2008-02-22 18:13:22

karenb
Scratch Team

Paddle2See wrote:

Will there be a mechanisim for the Teacher (or Club Leader) to refer a student to a project on the unfiltered main site, if the Teacher deems it useful for the student?   There's a year's worth of projects out there that have a lot of useful techniques in them.

Yes, and agreed! We're not yet certain of how the mechanism will operate, but we want Scratch Club members to see great projects from the main site.

#14 2008-02-22 20:21:56

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

If the filtered Scratch site is just a subset of the main Scratch web site, where each project and each comment has been accepted by some Team Leader, and no projects appear in the filtered site without simultaneously appearing in the main site,

then I see no problem with the filtered site.

I'll probably never go there, and I won't bother telling my Tech Club kids about it, unless some parent complains about them seeing inappropriate content.  But it won't have taken anything away from the main site (except for the volunteer hours for the Team Leaders, and they are people eager to do exactly that work).

#15 2008-02-24 12:06:59

room209
Scratcher

If you came to visit my house, you would find that I avoid toy guns, first person shooter games, or story lines that put crime in a positive light.  If I had children, I would talk over my values in this with them so that when they meet these items in other settings, they understand why I object to them.

Is the Scratch website a place with a common set of values we want to uphold and teach to young people?

Or, is it the open forum, with content and access up to the individual regardless of age?

Your proposal allows for both ways of looking at the resource.

Karen

#16 2008-02-24 18:39:29

karenb
Scratch Team

Hi Karen,

room209 wrote:

Is the Scratch website a place with a common set of values we want to uphold and teach to young people?

Or, is it the open forum, with content and access up to the individual regardless of age?

Currently, our participation on the main Scratch site is informed by the terms of use. This helps us as a community to determine what's in and what's out, with respect to shared values.

With the proposed Scratch Clubs site, we will have a similar concept of shared values. One difference between the sites is that the enforcement of these community values is distributed. This is what makes the application process important - we need to make sure that, as a group, we have shared understandings.

Does this help address your questions?

Thanks!
Karen

#17 2008-03-02 22:53:24

la_appels
Scratcher

Any chance this discussion will turn into a panel session at the July meeting?

I am still partial to a teacherscratch similar to teachertube that would consist of pedagogically relevant samples. No censorship necessary since only registered teachers would submit. The Educators forum has a lot of talk, this site would be all programs with commentary that can include pointers to lesson plans and rubrics. Relevance over quantities.

#18 2008-03-11 09:14:05

Calimero_200
Scratcher

karenb wrote:

Yes. I'm not entirely sure why though.

karenb wrote:

Yes, I would be happy to help. Like everything i would give it 100%.

karenb wrote:

Yes, It would help others from reading inapropiate comments.

Ok, that was breif but still.
Have you considered an educational Scratch site where adults and older members (ie. 12 or something) can make educational projects? I know there are already educational projects on this site, but I think it would be a good idea. As I am a teenager I would use the site [if it was made] as well as helping on it. I am sure others would too.

Calimero_200

Last edited by Calimero_200 (2008-03-11 09:15:04)

#19 2008-03-12 19:20:57

JBEAR
Scratcher

I MADE A SCRATCH CLUB GALLERY!

Status: http://tinyurl.com/JBEAR-sOnlineStatus Latest Project: http://tinyurl.com/654uvwbhttp://s09.flagcounter.com/count/epk/bg_FF0000/txt_FF9100/border_000000/columns_8/maxflags_248/viewers_0/labels_1/pageviews_1/

#20 2008-03-26 02:11:03

fullhouse
Scratcher

thats great! we can share certain gallery that has categories so that adult and young users can choose whats right for them.

Last edited by fullhouse (2008-03-26 02:17:44)

#21 2008-04-01 15:22:12

D97
Scratcher

to Paddle2see, Long answer short. Have you ever heard of a child wih a credit card? I thought not. Plus not all countrys use dollars, britain uses pounds and euorope uses euros.

Paddle2See wrote:

Any inappropriate comments or projects would invoke an automatic $10 fine against the credit card.  That would probably encourage a little more adherence to the Terms of Use (and generate funding for the Team too!).

Last edited by D97 (2008-04-01 15:24:22)

Yes, I am still alive, and no, I am not GLADOS.
Join Sayonara, my Scratch games company!

#22 2008-04-10 23:19:53

flaska
Scratcher

I would like a site where my student's work, as a schoolclub, could be posted.  Then they could share their classwork with members of their club and have others comment on their work without me, the teacher, worring about their work getting lost in the site (because there are so many users).  My students could submit their work and my fellow teachers and I could check them before they were posted.

I think the school and parents would appreciate it.
I have worked with Scratch from First to Sixth grade elementary, they are hooked on Scratching!!!!!

#23 2008-04-14 21:50:46

zachandrew0123
Scratcher

i don't think it is a good idea because i think alot of people wouldn't like to have to wait for their projects to be filtered before posting them on the scratch website

#24 2008-04-15 15:34:09

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

zachandrew0123: your projects will be available on the public Scratch website (scratch.mit.edu) but they will have to be reviewed by a Scratch Club leader in order to display them in the Scratch Clubs website (scratchclubs.mit.edu).

So unless you are part of a Scratch Club, you don't have to wait at all...

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#25 2008-04-24 17:10:29

Bluestribute
Scratcher

I already feel sage browsing. I like the flag idea, because I have like a Doom Coloring games, involving shooting a wall. If people feel offended, then they will flag it. But thats just me...

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1204/bluestributett4.jpg
That's my PSN ID. I know tons of COD4 glitches. Add me as your friend. Oh, and get a headset

• Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » Scratch Clubs: A proposal for a filtered version of the Scratch site

Board footer