This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2011-01-16 07:34:18

sparks
Community Moderator

Re: BYOB vs Streak vs Slash vs Panther

Speaking personally, I love some of bingo's features such as the fact you've tried hard to make it avaliable in several languages, and the upload feature is also very neat. I do find that it has perhapse a slightly over cluttered pallet, and a lot of ideas have either been based on or taken from other mods, even if credit was given  smile

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7563/scratchbetabanner.png

#27 2011-01-16 08:04:00

LS97
Scratcher

sparks wrote:

Speaking personally, I love some of bingo's features such as the fact you've tried hard to make it avaliable in several languages, and the upload feature is also very neat. I do find that it has perhapse a slightly over cluttered pallet, and a lot of ideas have either been based on or taken from other mods, even if credit was given  smile

Fair enough. The 'taken' features were mostly added early on, when I didn't know a lot of Squeak and had no idea what a license was.

#28 2011-01-16 08:45:34

rubiks_cube_guy238
Scratcher

My favorite mod is my own mod, called Shriek.

I would say BYOB, but my mod has most of the general features of BYOB (experimental procedure declaration).

After that, I would say Panther, but I basically just see that as a mod with support for colors and custom blocks that I could easily hack with the source code.

Seriously, take a look at my mod. It has basic OOP support! And, my mod has more added C-blocks than ANY other mod you'll see.

The glass is never half full nor half empty; it is twice as large as it needs to be.

#29 2011-01-16 09:09:36

markyparky56
Scratcher

rubiks_cube_guy238 wrote:

I would say BYOB, but my mod has most of the general features of BYOB (experimental procedure declaration).

After that, I would say Panther, but I basically just see that as a mod with support for colors and custom blocks that I could easily hack with the source code.

Seriously, take a look at my mod. It has basic OOP support! And, my mod has more added C-blocks than ANY other mod you'll see.

More blocks isn't always a good idea. Add to many and you confuse the user.

http://j.mp/jgVnTq
Check out my game engine development site: NewDawn I'm a Level 171 Scratcher.I am http://bit.ly/nkvLNT

#30 2011-01-16 09:11:22

LS97
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

Correct. Many people have over-populated their palettes, including me.

#31 2011-01-16 09:22:46

rubiks_cube_guy238
Scratcher

LS97 wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

That's one of the reasons why I moved the clone-related blocks to the Other palette I added. Actually, now that you mention it, I think I'll move those code blocks also...
Anyways, have you even looked at my mod?

The glass is never half full nor half empty; it is twice as large as it needs to be.

#32 2011-01-16 10:27:06

markyparky56
Scratcher

LS97 wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

That's one of the reasons why I moved the clone-related blocks to the Other palette I added. Actually, now that you mention it, I think I'll move those code blocks also...
Anyways, have you even looked at my mod?

No. Might do it later, I'm busy doing homework and brainstorming on Panther.

Check out my game engine development site: NewDawn I'm a Level 171 Scratcher.I am http://bit.ly/nkvLNT

#33 2011-01-16 18:14:25

Pecola1
Scratcher

LS97 wrote:

I am offended.  tongue
Not a single person in this thread has mentioned Bingo.

I believe Bingo, Panther and BYOB are the top three Scratch mods.

No offence but I think the reason why is because BYOB and CYOB (Panther) are both YOB. Putting Bingo next to them is like putting a small brick next to a LEGO brick and they both came from a wood-chip (or Scratch). Sure, with a small brick you can use some other materials to make a block, but with LEGO bricks you can fit them together easily. Sure, with Bingo you can make a block by putting in the password for programmer facilities, but without the password, all it is is a little better than Scratch, it isn't a whole other thing. Bingo should be put aside by one of the other Mods otherwise the others have too big of an advantage like putting a kid next to two strong men, you would hire one of the men right?

I personally like some of each,

BYOB:
I like the feature that you can make blocks using other blocks, and it saves a LOT of room.

Panther/CYOB:
I like how there are new blocks which allows you to get to the internet, like seeing how many love-its a project has without even going there. I also like how you don't have to hack the code to make blocks, but you can if you need to.

Bingo: I HATE IT! jk.
I like how there are many new blocks and that, if you figure out the password, you can make more blocks like in Scratch. Also I REALLY like how you can upload your project to Bingos website.

If you are reading this, please read to the end, because if you don't you won't know what's at the end. Don't just skip to the end though otherwise you won't be able to read the middle, which is most important. Now you must be wondering why you just read all that, the reason is you may have not noticed something, read it again and see if you notice it this time  smile

#34 2011-01-17 01:55:46

bbbeb
Scratcher

LS97 wrote:

Panther did it as well. Don't feel bad. XD
No, seriously. Panther has too many additions and too little help to learn them.
I think my list goes"
BYOB: Easy to understand, but shows many ways to do certain things
-> Bingo: Easier to learn than Panther, but shows great additions as well.
-> Panther: Hard to learn certain parts, including the editor, but has a lot of great additions
(Streak: Great first mod of the "mod rush", has great addons.)
(Slash: A bunch of copied Material. I wouldn't even bother using it anymore.)

Back in my day.... there were no laws that censored the internet... now, there are.... nah.

#35 2011-01-17 05:03:29

floppy_gunk
Scratcher

Panther and BYOB are tied. I haven't tried, Bingo yet, I'll go check it out  smile

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1917/2856lg.jpg Get it now!  smile

#36 2011-02-06 20:55:57

Pecola1
Scratcher

Slash: basically a big messy based off BYOB (only without the Build your own block feature) mod. Oh yeah, the only thing not copied is the self block.

If you are reading this, please read to the end, because if you don't you won't know what's at the end. Don't just skip to the end though otherwise you won't be able to read the middle, which is most important. Now you must be wondering why you just read all that, the reason is you may have not noticed something, read it again and see if you notice it this time  smile

#37 2011-02-08 02:59:05

siriusblack
Scratcher

It has to be BYOB.

#38 2011-02-08 11:16:00

markyparky56
Scratcher

siriusblack wrote:

It has to be BYOB.

And a reason for BYOB being the best is...?

#39 2011-02-08 14:33:59

Billybob-Mario
Scratcher

Everybody forgets that Slash contains BYOB.

#40 2011-02-08 14:59:16

LS97
Scratcher

Billybob-Mario wrote:

Yeah, but you didn't code it did you. I wouldn't be that proud about such a feature if I just took it off BYOB without even understanding where it came from and how it works!

#41 2011-02-08 15:15:55

ProgrammingFreak
Scratcher

LS97 wrote:

Billybob-Mario wrote:

Yeah, but you didn't code it did you. I wouldn't be that proud about such a feature if I just took it off BYOB without even understanding where it came from and how it works!

This is why no one likes Slash. maybe you should actaully make a coded modification of scratch. I bet people would try it then!  wink

#42 2011-02-08 15:17:08

LS97
Scratcher

ProgrammingFreak wrote:

LS97 wrote:

Billybob-Mario wrote:

This is why no one likes Slash. maybe you should actaully make a coded modification of scratch. I bet people would try it then!  wink

Scratch's point is really that but it could be worth trying...

#43 2011-02-08 15:35:44

14God
Scratcher

LS97 wrote:

I am offended.  tongue

Bingo has many original, added blocks. Lately, I've also been focusing on UI and non-block-related features, a bit like BYOB.

Panther has a very good choice of blocks, I gather most of those being original, and has the very useful Smalltalk coding feature.

BYOB is the inimitable marvel of interface coding by Jens and Co.
It's simple, yet has the basis of the more advanced languages with its methods and functions. First-class really brings the level up too.

IMHO, Slash is really not a proper mod, in the style of Scratch. Way too informal and cliché. The rest of the mods are just not worth the effort, with a few exceptions. It's been a mod-boom, literally  big_smile

Streak has original blocks and a few interface changes. What more would you expect from the fashion starter, though? I think the creator of Streak has done more than enough  smile

Bingo is cool  wink  I especially like the open web page block. I made something that would let you do a Google search from the project. But I think there are now so many mods out there its hard to sort through them all and I think slash and streak are pretty old and panther and byob are pretty old and famous.

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig4.png
Logic and reason have led me to atheism... but I'm stuck with the name  tongue

#44 2011-02-08 15:52:49

14God
Scratcher

BYOB pwns ALL!!!

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig4.png
Logic and reason have led me to atheism... but I'm stuck with the name  tongue

#45 2011-02-08 17:09:39

Pecola1
Scratcher

14God wrote:

LS97 wrote:

I am offended.  tongue

Bingo has many original, added blocks. Lately, I've also been focusing on UI and non-block-related features, a bit like BYOB.

Panther has a very good choice of blocks, I gather most of those being original, and has the very useful Smalltalk coding feature.

BYOB is the inimitable marvel of interface coding by Jens and Co.
It's simple, yet has the basis of the more advanced languages with its methods and functions. First-class really brings the level up too.

IMHO, Slash is really not a proper mod, in the style of Scratch. Way too informal and cliché. The rest of the mods are just not worth the effort, with a few exceptions. It's been a mod-boom, literally  big_smile

Streak has original blocks and a few interface changes. What more would you expect from the fashion starter, though? I think the creator of Streak has done more than enough  smile

Bingo is cool  wink  I especially like the open web page block. I made something that would let you do a Google search from the project. But I think there are now so many mods out there its hard to sort through them all and I think slash and streak are pretty old and panther and byob are pretty old and famous.

Over 20 mods!

#46 2011-02-08 17:10:41

Pecola1
Scratcher

Billybob-Mario wrote:

With slash you cannot even BYOB (build your own blocks) though. Thats the best feature of BYOB.

#47 2011-02-08 17:12:29

Pecola1
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

siriusblack wrote:

It has to be BYOB.

And a reason for BYOB being the best is...?

Build Your Own Blocks.  tongue

#48 2011-02-08 17:19:43

Billybob-Mario
Scratcher

Pecola1 wrote:

Billybob-Mario wrote:

With slash you cannot even BYOB (build your own blocks) though. Thats the best feature of BYOB.

You can. Slash is based on BYOB and has all of its features.

#49 2011-02-08 19:27:23

Pecola1
Scratcher

Billybob-Mario wrote:

Pecola1 wrote:

Billybob-Mario wrote:

You can. Slash is based on BYOB and has all of its features.

Oh. So you can, I was told els-wise. NVM

#50 2011-02-09 17:10:14

waveOSBeta
Scratcher

*cough*RAGE*cough*

http://internetometer.com/image/10202.png]
New signature coming soon!  smile

Board footer