This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-05-16 16:59:19

rossyboyfilm
Scratcher

Converting .sb to .exe

Hi guys.

I know a lot of you are looking for a way to convert a .sb file to .exe. Well you can download this program:
http://www.chirp.scratchr.org/dl/ChirpCompiler-setup.exe

It will allow you to convert.

It is better because you dont have to have scratch.

its worse because it takes up a whole lotta file space and also one of the whole points of scratch is so that you can look and edit peoples codes.

But if you have made a game and want to send it to a relative or something then its for you!

http://i46.tinypic.com/2128hvq.png

#2 2010-05-16 20:52:47

cds56
Scratcher

Re: Converting .sb to .exe

That is jens' project.
Chirp.

Erm, It already has a thread. somewhere.

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/909/meowdevlogo.pnghttp://i32.tinypic.com/pucti.png

#3 2010-05-16 21:10:26

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

Can you make it .app too, I use a mac.

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/3806/sigmad.png

#4 2010-05-17 07:26:28

coolstuff
Community Moderator

ScratchReallyROCKS wrote:

No, I'm afraid you can't.

#5 2010-08-03 05:38:01

Daffy22
Scratcher

I think you could convert .sb to .app. I don't see why because mac is rubbish but if you convert .sb --> .exe --> .app (it should work)

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1784/logosmalle.png
"Spectacular - 5 Star" -  CNET.com Editor.

#6 2010-08-03 11:21:48

midnightleopard
Scratcher

I have a different method.

http://pwp.wizards.com/5103673563/Scorecards/Landscape.png

#7 2011-01-09 15:32:01

WeirdF
Scratcher

Daffy22 wrote:

I think you could convert .sb to .app. I don't see why because mac is rubbish but if you convert .sb --> .exe --> .app (it should work)

It won't, the coding on the different operating systems is way too different. The only way to get .exe files on a mac is to use a Parallel VS, but they use up hard drive space and are quite expensive...

There are programs that extract images, flash games, and flash animations from .exe, and convert them into application files, but that wouldn't work for ones with Scratch files in.

However BYOB can convert projects to application or executable files, so BYOB would be the best option.

Last edited by WeirdF (2011-01-09 15:32:21)

http://i.cr3ation.co.uk/dl/s1/gif/847032b8a331def77529b6a0384db1fe_handfingers.gif

#8 2011-04-04 01:53:28

AzimKlaka
New Scratcher

Best progam!

#9 2011-04-04 13:29:25

Pecola1
Scratcher

You can do it in an easy no-install way too!

Joren wrote:

Hi all,

I discovered a new way to run Scratch projects from an executable file. You can run the executable file everywhere, also on computers without Scratch installed. Your project will also open in Presentation Mode immediatly.

I did not create another tool for this - I used a (hidden) built-in Windows application. That means you'll have to do some settings yourselves, but I'll try to explain as good as possible.

It should work for every windows version newer then Windows 95 - because of the long filenames...

How-to

Info: IExpress is actually a program to create Windows Installers. We won't be creating an installer, we just want to run the Scratch Program opening a project in presentation mode. The idea is the same though, you include some files in the 'installer', they are unpacked and a program is started. Our 'installer' will be unpacking a stripped version of the Scratch Program together with a project. We will hide all windows from the user, so when the .exe is clicked, Scratch will just open.

(1)  On XP: Click start, then "Run..."
Type in "iexpress" and click "OK".
On Vista or 7: type in "iexpress", wait a moment and press enter. (There might be a run button available on your Vista/7 though.
You should see the old-fashioned "IExpress Wizard" window.

(2) Select "Create new Self Extraction Directive file."
and click "next".

(3) As "Package Purpose",
select "Extract files and run an installation command"
and click "next".

(4) As "Package title",
you can type anything you want - I used "Scratch Project".

This field doesn't really matter - normally this text is used in the title bar of all 'installer' windows but we will them so the user is not annoyed by Windows 95 style installation messages, instead the Scratch project should open.

Click "Next" again.

(5) Select "No prompt", click "next",
select "Do not display a license" and click "Next" again.

(6) Now we'll have to add all necessary files to the package,
do this by clicking "Add", browsing for a file, and Click open.
You can only open one file each time you click "Add".

First, all essential Scratch application files should be added.
Browse for the Scratch installation folder (usually "C:\Program Files\Scratch") and add the following files:

Scratch.exe
      Scratch.image
      Scratch.ini
      ScratchPlugin.dll
      Mpeg3Plugin.dll
      UnicodePlugin.dll
      CameraPlugin.dll

Click "Add" again, Now browse for your scratch project and click "Open".
In this example, it's called project.sb .

Now you added All the required files to the installer package, so click "Next" to continue.

(7) As "Install program", we are going to fill in the Scratch application.
Copy-paste
Code:
Scratch.exe "scratch.image" presentation "Super Smash Bros. Ball! (UPDATED).sb"
into "Install Program" - the first textbox .

Replace project.sb with the name of your project. (so if your project is named "racing game.sb", fill in
Scratch.exe "scratch.image" presentation "racing game.sb"

Leave "Post Install Command" (the second text field) as it is: "<none>" and Click "Next".

(8) In the "Show Window" step, you should select "hidden". That way the unpacking window will not be shown. Click "Next", again...

(9) In "Package name and options", click browse and save your final .exe file. I named it like my project - project.exe

Check both options:
- Hide File Extracting Progress Animation from user (We wan't the project to show up, no ugly 15-years-old animation     )
- Store file using Long File Name inside package (Scratch uses long filenames - It won't work without this ancient option checked - I tried it out.)

And Click "Next" again

(10) Select "No Restart" we are not running a real installer so a restart is not required.

(11) The "Save Self Extraction Directive" allows you to store the settings you made. It is not necessary, so when you're finished, click "Next".

(12) Click next one last time to start creating the package. You'll see a DOS window, and a message when it's finished.

Now browse to your PROJECT.EXE (!) en watch it being a complete application   

The only bad thing is you cannot hide the scripts at the end.

Joren

If you are reading this, please read to the end, because if you don't you won't know what's at the end. Don't just skip to the end though otherwise you won't be able to read the middle, which is most important. Now you must be wondering why you just read all that, the reason is you may have not noticed something, read it again and see if you notice it this time  smile

#10 2011-05-13 14:25:09

nickliboo
Scratcher

i think that using iexpress isnt good cos it lets u edit code but i dont want it 2 do that

#11 2011-05-13 14:34:10

Pecola1
Scratcher

I just got an idea of how you might be able to do this... it probably won't work but its worth a try!
I WAS RIGHT!

IT DOESN'T WORK!

I posted it as a joke. All I did was make scratch projects save as exes rather than sbs

If you are reading this, please read to the end, because if you don't you won't know what's at the end. Don't just skip to the end though otherwise you won't be able to read the middle, which is most important. Now you must be wondering why you just read all that, the reason is you may have not noticed something, read it again and see if you notice it this time  smile

#12 2011-05-13 14:56:51

meowmeow55
Scratcher

Anyone noticed how old this thread is?
And if you look near the bottom of this post, you'll find another program  wink

Yawn.

#13 2011-12-03 12:51:35

Nolanotter
New Scratcher

nickliboo wrote:

i think that using iexpress isnt good cos it lets u edit code but i dont want it 2 do that

Isn't code editing one of the reasons Scratch was built? The freedom to easily edit other's software is one of the best things of the open source movement. Coming over the subject of open source, couldn't you put the GPL in the IExpress License Thingy?  wink

#14 2011-12-03 13:50:21

WindowsExplorer
Scratcher

Daffy22 wrote:

mac is rubbish

O.O

*faints*

http://i.imgur.com/H6LLdnK.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/VYuD7BY.png

#15 2011-12-03 14:20:53

cocolover76
Scratcher

WindowsExplorer wrote:

Daffy22 wrote:

mac is rubbish

O.O

*faints*

It is, unless if it's only Ubuntu made to look like Mac.

http://i.imgur.com/HfEPZ.gifhttp://i.imgur.com/pvKb6.png

#16 2011-12-04 05:35:41

iPhone63
Scratcher

I use CentOS 6 (Linux), can you make it a .rpm file too?? :p

http://mag.racked.eu/image/6000/Pssssssssssssssssss/mca.png

#17 2011-12-04 19:04:38

jji7skyline
Scratcher

SB -> EXE

1. Install BYOB
2. Open your sb file
3. Go to the menu bar items and find the compile function
4. Click it
5. Viola!

SB -> APP
Same as SB->EXE except do it on a Mac and it becomes a App file! Voila!

SB -> jar (executable java file)
Use toJAR, search it on the Scratch Forums.

Jar files can be run on any OS that has a JRE installed.

Jar files can be packaged into an app file using Jarbundler which comes with every Mac, although I think you have to install developer tools from the install DVD.

Happy now?

Linux users, just use the jar file. I have no idea how to turn it into a .rpm or whatever  tongue

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#18 2012-02-03 10:14:51

andybrinson38
New Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

No, I'm afraid you can't.

I agree

#19 2012-02-04 01:24:30

tjaldeep
New Scratcher

but any one can edit this project also after saving it as .exe file

#20 2012-02-05 21:25:15

jji7skyline
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

SB -> EXE

1. Install BYOB
2. Open your sb file
3. Go to the menu bar items and find the compile function
4. Click it
5. Viola!

SB -> APP
Same as SB->EXE except do it on a Mac and it becomes a App file! Voila!

SB -> jar (executable java file)
Use toJAR, search it on the Scratch Forums.

Jar files can be run on any OS that has a JRE installed.

Jar files can be packaged into an app file using Jarbundler which comes with every Mac, although I think you have to install developer tools from the install DVD.

Happy now?

Linux users, just use the jar file. I have no idea how to turn it into a .rpm or whatever  tongue

You can turn the jar into a app too.

#21 2012-02-19 00:40:11

markrocks
New Scratcher

You cheat! I recorded your program with a video capture program and Here is what I see: it firsts opens up BYOB then sets in into full screen mode! When you quit, it automatically quits BYOB as well! People will never notice, I think it automatically downloads it or something, but whoever programmed this totally faked it. If you want a screenshot of the fake in action email me at [removed] and I will reply.

[Moderator Edit: For security reasons, please do not share e-mail addresses or other forums of personal info. See the Community Guidelines]

Last edited by cheddargirl (2012-02-19 01:33:36)

#22 2012-02-19 01:51:46

Magnie
Scratcher

markrocks wrote:

You cheat! I recorded your program with a video capture program and Here is what I see: it firsts opens up BYOB then sets in into full screen mode! When you quit, it automatically quits BYOB as well! People will never notice, I think it automatically downloads it or something, but whoever programmed this totally faked it. If you want a screenshot of the fake in action email me at [removed] and I will reply.

[Moderator Edit: For security reasons, please do not share e-mail addresses or other forums of personal info. See the Community Guidelines]

That's the purpose of it.

It's supposed to open up and close out like an actual program, and not just some Scratch project.

#23 2012-02-19 03:08:08

GP1
Scratcher

Daffy22 wrote:

mac is rubbish

*gasp!* HE SAID THE FORBIDDEN WORDS!
I don't get how Mac is bad. Almost all the programs for it are free, plus it can do everything a Windows can do (just use a Windows to Mac converter)

I am currently http://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=GP1&amp;action=onlineStatus&amp;type=imagehttp://blocks.scratchr.org/API.php?user=GP1&amp;action=onlineStatus&amp;type=text and I finally got over 1000 posts.

#24 2012-02-19 18:33:58

jji7skyline
Scratcher

GP1 wrote:

Daffy22 wrote:

mac is rubbish

I don't get how Mac is bad. Almost all the programs for it are free, plus it can do everything a Windows can do (just use a Windows to Mac converter)

It can do all a Winfail can do and more  neutral

#25 2012-03-15 17:14:22

DigiTechs
Scratcher

jji7skyline wrote:

GP1 wrote:

Daffy22 wrote:

mac is rubbish

It can do all a Winfail can do and more  neutral

Butttt, (this is a BIG but.) can't you use the USB with a mac (I mean, a Windows USB?)? Or even use Command Prompt (The Mac version, I think it's Terminal) to do fancy stuff, (making random thing up here) like make a game? I don't think so. Thats why Win7(and practically all of the windows operating systems) are pretty much better than the other operating systems out.

I'm back.
Maybe.

Board footer