This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » If you wish to run for Scratch community moderator, post here...

#26 2010-05-14 12:25:24

RHY3756547
Scratcher

Re: If you wish to run for Scratch community moderator, post here...

I'd like to rephrase my entry as my beginning statement was a bit informal.

I would love to be part of the new community moderator scheme, as I am always active (I'm on nearly every day) and in cases I can be very helpful. Contrary to popular belief I have a good understanding of what is right and wrong and how to deal with things at different levels on the forums.

Recently I was banned for contributing in the recent arguments in the Miscellaneous forum so I want to help make sure these arguments do not brew again and nobody gets into the same state that I was, making the same mistakes. Arguments should be prevented before they start.

I would also love to help moderate the main site aswell, as I believe that is just as important.  smile

#27 2010-05-14 13:45:23

Magnie
Scratcher

I guess I could try out for Moderator, but I'll keep to the back of the line.  wink

#28 2010-05-14 14:10:49

dav09
Scratcher

I would like to become one( By the way thanks for listening to other suggestions by others who have helped you make this thread, many people said we needed new moderators). So I usually give good comments and try be a friendly person, active and on scratch since March 2009! Please choose me  smile  !
Making speech now:
I want all scratch members to feel safe and happy online in an online environment with out the fear of cyber bullying. I think the scratch team in the last month or two have not been able to correct everyone and have ran out of members because some have quit and believe it or not the scratch community is getting  bigger and bigger everyday, so its not really the scratch team's fault but it does need more members such as people like the ones now, who are very nice, and i don't think I have ever met a moderator who is not nice on the scratch forum so I trust scratch mods and administrators to pick wise new moderators.
My main targets are:
No Cyber Bullying
No spam comments or "Paid Spam advertisers"
To help scratch users
Move inappropriate posts if they in in the wrong section
Solve many more issues!

I really hope I become a new scratch moderator and hope the scratch team read this, which I trust them that they will. So lets hope, this would be almost a dream come true for me! Thanks,
Scratch On!

Last edited by dav09 (2010-05-14 15:45:41)

#29 2010-05-14 15:35:09

djm111
Scratcher

I would like to try become a moderator. I have been active for nearly 2 years now, and in that time have never been warned or infracted. I try to be patient and helpful towards all Scratchers and come online often to check the forums. I double check everything I type to make sure it is free of errors and potentially offensive remarks, and get on well with the community despite not being a hugely well known figure within the community.

Thanks for reading.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/Dazzamcgazza/sig.png

#30 2010-05-14 16:24:38

gettysburg11
Scratcher

My speech:

I would like to become a Scratch moderator. I feel that I would be a quality moderator, and I could fulfill moderator duties such as closing chatroom or text-based game threads that pop up, help others with questions (as long as I know the answer, because I’m not the most advanced), and help break up flamewars/fights, which I have already done, and others that I didn’t list. I am on Scratch and the forums almost every day, so I can be here to solve problems if they arise.

I have been on Scratch for almost 2 years, and have enjoyed my time here. I’ve been a major forum user since April 2009, and I try to be as helpful as possible to Scratchers. Even though I don’t have a lot of projects posted, I put a lot of time, thought, and effort into most of them. I hope I can be considered to be a Scratch forum moderator.

Last edited by gettysburg11 (2010-05-14 22:11:50)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#31 2010-05-14 18:43:06

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

I'd love to contribute to Scratch more by becoming a moderator, I'll finally have an excuse for the amount of time I spend on Scratch  big_smile

So here is my "speech":

I've spent approximately 2 years on Scratch and all most that much time on the forums as well. Ever since I've first started I've been thoroughly impressed by the program and by the friendly atmosphere of the forums. I'd love my own chance to keep the community open and welcoming by dealing with spam and flame wars, sorting out misplaced topics and necro-posting, and keeping post on topic.

Anyway, I hope I'm considered, I'm very interested in this idea and I think it is a step in the right direction for the Scratch Forums.

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#32 2010-05-14 19:02:56

Musicstar888
Scratcher

I have always dreamed to be a moderator! I have been on Scratch for about 2.5 years.  I joined the forums in December.  I go on Scratch a lot, so I think I'd be a great moderator. I mean, I haven't really posted anything mean......I like to give people advice, so being a moderator might help that. My one concern is being too young t be a moderator. I'm in 4th grade, is that too young?  hmm

Goodbye, Misc. Until we meet again.
You're not alone.

#33 2010-05-14 19:07:14

Penguinsrock
Scratcher

I'd love to try out for mod. I've been on both TBG Mod elections, as a candidate. I know I've posted some things, that some of you do did not like. I'd like to say I'm sorry, I didn't mean to annoy anyone, or hurt anybody's feelings, I was expressing my opinion, and I'll try hard to not do that again. I've been on Scratch for more than a year, sharing quite a few projects, and posting commonly. I've not been banned once, or have any warnings. Not that I know of, anyways. Though I consider my self, an artists/animator/RPer, I've joined Scratch for gaming reasons. I'm just not amazing at programming. So I'm quite diverse. I've also been featured twice, and been a curator. I've tought kids my age, and older, how to use Scratch while I was 9.I try my best to not to sound mean when saying something, but it makes a large difference from saying something rudely. I notice I am slightly biased...But I always try not to. I've came possibly second in a classroom election, for Prime Minister(Not President, Canadian). I would like to be a moderator, because I get quite annoyed when I see rude remarks, disrespectful comments, spam, overly dramatic events, etc...They shouldn't be on a programming site, that young children might also be on. I also want to be a moderator, actually - To learn: Responsibility, and leader ship. Often people also judge because of age...I'm young, but I believe I'm mature. I'm only in 5th grade, and somewhat sensitive(depends what). I go on Scratch, nearly everyday. If not more than 1 hour(usually 3-5 hours), 1/2 an hour(Excluding special events, holidays. Where I still go on a bit). It's usually about 4:00 PM - 9:00 PM EST on weekdays. Thank you very much for reading!
EDIT: Yes, this is a nomination for my self.

Last edited by Penguinsrock (2010-05-15 18:47:28)

POKEMON & Internets CLICK?
http://internetometer.com/imagesmall/10824.png

#34 2010-05-14 20:08:48

16Skittles
Scratcher

oops! I posted on the wrong topic! well, here I am now... I'll run!
well, I started scratch at a VG camp last july and have been on ever since. I enjoy programming and often monitor the forums. I dislike spam, and would try to eliminate it as best as possible. I also think scratch should be a fun, friendly community.
See you at the polls, (hopefully)
16skittles.

Last edited by 16Skittles (2010-05-14 20:13:42)

http://16skittles.tk/sig.png
Are you a student? Check out OnSchedule!

#35 2010-05-14 20:22:42

fg123
Scratcher

Hello scratch team, and all the other scratchers,

I would like to be a community moderator because I believe that I can keep the forums clean of spam, trolls, and other bad stuff like swearing, etc. I have been on scratch for almost 2 years now, and I am pretty much active everyday.  smile  Also, I know a lot about scratch and I think I can help a lot of troubled users. Thank you very much for reading my speech.  smile

-fg123

Hai.

#36 2010-05-14 20:25:19

samurai768
Scratcher

I have been on Scratch for nearly a year, and I found out about it over 2 years ago. I love the website, and I wish I could make their forums a better place. I am on almost everyday, and I know when someone is spamming. I try to be helpful in comments, and understand what other people need help with. Although sometimes I can get emotional with certain posts, I try to keep my responses and calm and collected as possible. I love to be silly, and weird, but I think I would be a moderator!  tongue

If I do become a moderator, I promise to be responsible  big_smile

I woud be overjoyed to help keep the forums a safe place  smile

#37 2010-05-14 20:28:29

Survivorduck
Scratcher

Nice idea, Lightnin*!  smile

You also did a good job of making the guide-things.

May I run for moderator?

Last edited by Survivorduck (2010-05-14 20:30:53)

#38 2010-05-14 22:03:01

what-the
Scratcher

I would like to be a moderator. I am an active user who usually goes on between the times of 4am - 8am scratch time. I find during these times many posts are unattended to on the Scratch site and so I see lots of spam and disrespectful comments. Which I can only flag and wait several hours before something is done. (I did have more to says but I lost it all because of a 2 second power outage.)

http://imageshack.us/m/64/9034/ddfss.pngMy site
Find someone post count. Click posts under username. Find number of pages. Times that by 40 for min and 60 for max and you have a rough estimate of post count.

#39 2010-05-14 22:25:07

DaGamez
Scratcher

I would love to be a moderator! There's only one problem. I've been on scratch for less than a month with this username, but I've been on without the account for a couple of years. Don't know if it means person or user on scratch for 6 months. I doubt I'll get picked, so I'll also vote for Dazachi, like he's followed every rule and is great in the scratch community. And you can know that I don't know him- I live in argentina while he's going to scratch day at MIT! How I wish I was in Massachusetts... It also is on the 22nd, a day after my birthday! xD
Well, that's my speech. Thanks, Scratch team!

-DaGamez

Last edited by DaGamez (2010-05-15 11:12:38)

http://scratchhtmlviewer.net23.net/image.php?project=1229757&user=DaGamez

#40 2010-05-14 22:48:29

Targethero
Scratcher

I'd also like to nominate myself for this exciting new opportunity!

I've been with the Scratch site for nearly two years now and have enjoyed every moment (well pretty much every). I try to be as kind & respectful as possible towards other users in the community and try my best to approach things in a polite and calm way. Im 15 so I know quite well form experience that yelling doesnt solve anything  lol  . Even if I do ever have any sort of "unhappy conversation" with another user I usually try to turn it around and make friends with them(that’s how I made one of my closest Scratch friends) that’s also probably why I've never had to use the Ignore List  tongue  .

Let’s see... I don’t believe I've done anything that bad on here, never got any warning notifications either... I already flag/report all projects and posts that I see don’t comply with the Terms Of Use. I try to be as helpful as possible, if I see someone asking a question, weather it be about the Scratch site, scripting, or about one of my projects, I try to answer there question in good detail.

It would be an honor to be a community moderator on such a Great Website!  big_smile

Brief Statement ↑

Last edited by Targethero (2010-05-14 23:09:50)

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3981/targethero2.png http://ls.gd/bo

#41 2010-05-15 19:11:24

iCode-747
Scratcher

My other speech was a little short, I'll just be expanding.  big_smile

When I joined Scratch, in November 2009, I had no idea how to program. I was mystified by this thing called a 'variable'. I was really in the dark about programming.

And then my grandfather introduced me to Scratch. Since then, I can't seem to stop thinking about it. No matter what I have to do, Scratch is right up there in priority for one reason: I love it. No matter where I go, if I don't have Internet, I (practically) can't live. Scratch is an amazing tool.

Now, the forums are a big part of the Scratch experience. As you can see, I just passed the 800th post count mark a few hours ago. I've been on for a reasonable amount of time and had my share of disturbing and happy experiences.

As I said before, the Scratch forums are a big part of the Scratch community because it's where you can find help, suggest things to the Scratch team, etc. But it's not perfect. Like other forums around the net, there are flame wars, trolling, etc. It's a moderator's job to keep everything clean, happy, and to make sure Scratchers are using the forums appropriately.  smile

I think I'd be a great moderator because I have a large amount of free time, smiles, and ideas. This has always been my dream.

Vote for iCode-747!

Last edited by iCode-747 (2010-05-15 19:11:58)

-End Transmission-

#42 2010-05-15 19:18:16

adriangl
Scratcher

I would like to run for Scratch moderator. I joined in 2007, so I am more than experienced. I love to help others out and I use proper and clear grammar so that other users can understand me. I am very good at moderating because I have moderated 2 forums before that had over a thousand users. I know the Scratch community is much larger, but I still think I can help out the community. I have a lot of free time and come on the Scratch website along with the forums at least once a day.

Many people say I have had bad behavior on other sites, but that is outside of Scratch, and I have no intention of inappropriate behavior. Please pick me  smile

Scratchin' since 2007

#43 2010-05-16 09:39:33

48bob
Scratcher

i would like to enter. i spend lot's of time on scratch and i like to help others.for the last couple weeks i've been a little bored and i think runing for this will finally give me something to do

#44 2010-05-16 21:08:09

illusionist

Hello friends!

Here is my story:

I joined Scratch a little over two years ago when my school librarian assigned me to create a simple video game. I had always dreamed of making a computer game, and this was the opportunity of a lifetime! I had tried other programs, and failed dramatically... I saw Scratch as a new beginning. I instantly fell in love with everything about it! I learned how to do things I never thought possible, the idea was perfect, the interface simple, yet the number of ways I could express my imagination seemed infinite! I started working. I created many projects, but soon I thought, "I need to share these with someone!" and I joined the online community. It was unique, happy, friendly, and so were the other members. Everything was perfect. Shortly after joining, I found the forums. I was very interested in modifying the source code at the time, so I went right to the advanced topics section... oops. Everything seemed strange, alien, overcomplicated... but all I could focus on was learning.... Learning.

...and learn I did.

I was soon living in the forums. It was an endless archive of information. I interacted with other members, I participated in contests, I made friends, I shared my knowledge, I helped new members to accomplish what I did. The road was smooth for a long time, but later on the path became bumpy, conflicts arose, and I was forced into a new type of learning: mistakes.

...and mistakes I made.

Misjudgment, misunderstanding, misinterpretation, misspelling (don't ask  tongue ), misbehavior. It seemed hopeless, and finally, without warning, I was taken away. Removed. Erased. But in that time of idle, however short, I was able to reflect on the events of recent. I realized the wrongs I had caused. I asked for forgiveness. I decided to repent. I thought of ways I could change.

...and change I did.

I re-read the rules. I decided there was NOTHING that I was incapable of. I changed my way of thinking. From a self-centered first person perspective, to a third person, understanding, conscious of others' feelings perspective. I was inspired once again; however, this time I was not only inspired to create, teach, share, and interact, but inspired to inspire. I decided I wanted to teach by example, to be a good role-model, to spread my knowledge to others, so that they may build upon it, and they they may rise to become what I had, to use this knowledge that has been so passed down through these forums to reimagine, recreate, remix, and SHARE the good works of this good community! So that we may not dwell on the evils of the past, but LEARN from them! To spread that very same knowledge so that together we may all, as one community, lay the foundation for the bright future of Scratch!

...and so we shall.

For the reasons I have wholeheartedly stated above, I ask that you, my loving friends, allow me to pursue this goal as one of Scratch's community forum moderators.

All I need is your trust.
All I need is your dedication.
All I need is your friendship.

...and your vote.

You have my word.

- K.M.R. illusionist

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#45 2010-05-17 07:39:17

pinochio
Scratcher

Well. I have been on Scratch a while now and I do enjoy helping others and answering questions. My history has some negative aspects, but if I were  a moderator It would be a chance to redeem myself. I promise I'd be fair and do a great job. My activity on the sight has slightly declined, but I will start visiting as often as I used to. I hope you consider this, even though some of my past comments etc will convince you not to.

Thanks

Flat Out G

#46 2010-05-17 11:58:36

juststickman
Scratcher

I've always wanted to be a moderator  big_smile

I often end up finding copied projects or commercial spam quickly, so that could be helpful. I've been here since around summer 2008 (different account). I've helped people with animations, some game programming (a whole long tutorial about it too  smile  ) and some questions about scratch. I joined scratch to make games, but I know that art and animation are also important.  Even in games. After all, who wants to play a game with a poorly drawn stickman on a scribble background? So I'll be fair with decisions and not say something like "games are better than art".

One of the things that really annoy me is not getting credit for you work. Some people don't understand what it's like to work on something for months and then have somebody else copy it (and so they copy a project). But this isn't really just about copying. What about those good projects that were never see- wait a minute this is turning into a curator speech...

the paragraph above wrote:

One of the things that really annoy me is not getting credit for you work. Some people don't understand what it's like to work on something for months and then have somebody else copy it (and so they copy a project). starts becoming a curator speech here>But this isn't really just about copying. What about those good projects that were never see

Anyway, I've been here for a while, I hate spam and copied stuff (not just projects), and I'm neutral with the whole art/game thing.

Last edited by juststickman (2010-05-17 11:58:56)

http://is.gd/iBQi2 Add grob to your sig and help with world dominiation!http://is.gd/iBQ9Q                                                             Hey guys, we're seriously naming our team bob?

#47 2010-05-17 13:52:10

Wolfie1996

I have decided to rephrase my earlier speech – I feel that it sounded a bit rushed, and it didn’t really get my point across.

I have been Scratch’ing since early July, 2009, and I am willing to take on the challenge of Community Moderator. I have no experience with the moderating system, yet I’ll try my best to learn, and get to grips with it.

I already actively try to help others already on the forums, and on the main site. If I see a question that needs answering on the forums, I always try to answer it as soon as possible. If I don’t know how to explain the answer, I try to find a thread (or project/gallery/external source (such as Wikipedia) ), which sums up what I have to say. Also, on this note, people occasionally leave comments on my projects/galleries, asking how to do something. In these cases, I feel honoured that they chose to ask me, as well as answering their question.

Things that I want to help with on the forums (I already report these  wink  ) include:
•    Removing commercial spam
•    Advising against chatting on the forums
•    Removing inappropriate language
•    Removing potentially insulting words and phrases
•    Dealing with flames, and suchlike

But, the things that I want to help with on the forums aren’t all bad. I also would like to help with:
•    Handling requested thread closures
•    Moving topics to the correct areas
•    Continuing to help others with the Scratch program and website
•    Giving feedback on guides, suggestions and other useful posts

Then, of course, there is the main site. I try to always give positive, constructive feedback on projects, and always report comments that are aimed at making the project creator or other members feel bad. Also on the reporting side, I report inappropriate projects when I see them (which, thankfully, isn’t so often anymore!).

Even if I’m not chosen for this wonderful opportunity, I will continue to actively help other members, I will continue to report inappropriate things, and I will continue to Scratch On! And if I am, all the better –  all I want to do is help, any way I can, and if becoming a Community Moderator will aid this, then I’m all for it!

Thanks for taking the time to read what I have to say  smile

Last edited by Wolfie1996 (2010-05-17 13:59:03)

"...Jargon - the practice of never calling a spade a spade, when you might instead call it a manual earth-restructing implement..." - Bill Bryson, Mother Tongue

#48 2010-05-17 14:21:29

DavidTy
Scratcher

I would like to nominate myself for this position as well.

Naturally I jumped at this great opportunity to contribute something back to Scratch and the guys that make it all possible, seeing as they have given me so much and I haven’t really been able to show my appreciation in such a way as this.

I joined the Scratch community in 2008 and I’ve been active ever since. I try to be as nice and respectful as possible to everyone. If ever I find a fellow scratcher with a problem, if I can, I help them out as much as possible. I also understand that you half to humble yourself and put others needs before your own, after all you’re there to help them not the other way around.

If anyone disagrees/ argues with me, being 15, I’m mature enough to not just scream and yell at them  tongue . I usually just give them a logical explanation of where I stand and why, unless they’re argument is just thoroughly ignorant or not worth the time, then I just forget it. I try to argue as little as possible. 

It would be a great honor to be a Community Moderator of this site and to work with the guys that I have idolized since I first came here, and I am fully aware of the responsibilities there of. I am a hard worker, but to me, being a Community Moderator is not a job but a privilege, a privilege that I would not take lightly. I will work harder at this than anything else because I’ve wanted it for so long.  As I said, this chance to help out the Scratch Team I think is so cool and I would love to help.

Thanks,
DavidTy

Last edited by DavidTy (2010-05-18 08:33:41)

#49 2010-05-17 18:00:43

waveOSBeta
Scratcher

I would like to run for community moderator for many reasons. One reason is that I always be respectful to other users and feel that others should do the same. Also, the forums have some users with only 3 posts, all of which are spam. If I get elected moderator, I will be sure to ban these users as necessary. (rest of speech to be written later, as I have to go now.)

http://internetometer.com/image/10202.png]
New signature coming soon!  smile

#50 2010-05-17 18:03:13

midnightleopard
Scratcher

I have been a scratcher since the beginning. i feel as though I am not contributing as much as I should and i think that being forum moderator position would be perfect. I go to all the Scratch Events like the meetup and the Scratch Day MIT, and I go on the forums a lot.

http://pwp.wizards.com/5103673563/Scorecards/Landscape.png

• Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » If you wish to run for Scratch community moderator, post here...

Board footer