This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » If you wish to run for Scratch community moderator, post here...

#1 2010-05-13 16:48:48

Lightnin
Scratch Team

If you wish to run for Scratch community moderator, post here...

If you wish to nominate yourself to be a Scratch community moderator, and have read all the links and meet all the criteria described on this page:

http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Community_Moderators

Then post a brief statement announcing your nomination in this thread. (No other comments please).

The Scratch Team will select a small group of nominees and announce them as candidates this coming Tuesday, May 18. Shortly after, the Scratch community will vote on these candidates.

Questions? Please post them on the following thread:
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=391260

*All posts other than those declaring an intention to run for moderator will be deleted.*

Scratch On!

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#2 2010-05-13 17:08:18

laser100
Scratcher

Re: If you wish to run for Scratch community moderator, post here...

I would like to be a moderator. I love helping others! tongue

#3 2010-05-13 17:17:51

iCode-747
Scratcher

Well, I'm officially entering here and now.

I've been on Scratch for around 7 months. I understand the Terms of Use, etc. I get on the forums everyday. I go into all of the categories, just poking around.

I want to get that Scratch Force 1!

-End Transmission-

#4 2010-05-13 17:23:51

gettysburg11
Scratcher

I would like to enter as well. I've been on Scratch since June 2008, on the forums since April 2009, I respect the Terms of Use, I'm here almost everyday.

Oh, and here's the moderatorial jet for whoever wins.
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/af1/images/af1_d4c-122582-1_375X300.jpg

Last edited by gettysburg11 (2010-05-13 17:25:03)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#5 2010-05-13 17:27:27

coolstuff
Community Moderator

I'd love to nominate myself for this!

Here's my speech:
I've been on Scratch since late February 2008, and have been active on the forums since early March of that year, making me one of the oldest members to still be active - and I am one of the most respected members on the forums, too. I highly value respectfulness towards one another - a hostile environment is not one which is pleasant to be in. Every member should be treated equally. I know what the rules and terms of use on these forums are, and consistently report posts, comments, and projects that have the potential to be offensive. I love helping out around the community by offering helpful suggestions towards people's projects and helping them with difficult scripts. I have been curator and had two featured projects. Scratch has given so much to me, I'd love to give something back.

Last edited by coolstuff (2010-05-14 19:38:32)

#6 2010-05-13 17:29:02

lonwol
Scratcher

Sure I guess I'll run. I reaxd the entire rules page, and whatnot.
1. I'll get rid of spam topics
2. If I see a flamewar get out of hand I'll close it
3. I'll make sure no innapropriate things are on
4. I'll make sure the users are nice to eachother.
Btw If I don't win I vote for RHY
Also I'm usually on misc everyday so I could help out there alot.

Last edited by lonwol (2010-05-13 17:32:12)

I host servers for money ya?

#7 2010-05-13 17:59:23

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

I will enter too. My speech:

Elect me and I shall try my very best to be good and do all that stuff the webpage said. And remember, a vote for me is a vote for Blade-Edge!

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#8 2010-05-13 18:02:47

lonwol
Scratcher

My speech :
Hello scratchers. I know I have been banned twice before, but I have learned from my mistakes, and decided I would like to become a mod, and clean up scratch, so others don’t make the mistakes I did. I’ll be fair to users, and give them warnings before I do anything to bad, or tragic. I’ll clean up the spam from the forums, and help those with questions. I’ll try to monitor all the forums, and I will make sure the miscellaneous forum is going well like all you users want it to. I usually come on scratch every day, and I am very active. I’ll make sure I follow the rules, and that others do also. With that said please vote for me for this upcoming Scratch moderator election. Thanks, and Scratch on!

I host servers for money ya?

#9 2010-05-13 18:10:28

rabbit1131
Scratcher

I would like to try for scratch mod. Lately most of my time has been spent flagging comments on projects and on the forums. I am not famous, but what does being famous have to do with being a good mod? Do you have to know how to create good projects to ban users who post inappropriate content for the scratch community?  I think that I would be a good mod because, one I have been on scratch and have learned a lot from my mistakes. Scratch has helped me, and I want it so stay that way and help others too! So I'm not gonna make a big flowery speech instead I will just tell you what I will do. I will be on scratch for over 3 hours a day, I will patrol the forums, and flag inappropriate content. I have helped many users that can't figure out how a block works and have showed them how they can improve their projects. I have summed up everything I have done. Please vote for me for the new scratch mod! Thanks for reading this post!

The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia! I hope you will partake in this gigantic undertaking, to build the sequel to the hit map The Adventures of Revesilia! The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia Map Builders Application thread! http://internetometer.com/image/35004.png

#10 2010-05-13 18:37:57

poopo
Scratcher

I would love to be a scratch mod! I'm sure to be an active member for 4 years let alone 4 months. smile

http://i45.tinypic.com/28rnqki.jpg

#11 2010-05-13 18:51:12

gershmer
Scratcher

I'd like to run for moderator. I've always been a model member, always helpful, suggestion-giving, etc. I am sure to be a member of the community for a long time.

Visit my site, Gershmer.net
Leave me a voicemail at my Google Voice number, [removed]

#12 2010-05-13 19:26:12

Greenboi
Scratcher

I would like to nominate myself as a moderator. I seem to have little chance, but hey, here it goes.  big_smile

I have been a member of the scratch community for about a year, and have been working on scratch projects for several. This account is quite new and currently one of the only I use. I think the scratch forums needs a little but more patrolling, and I am one of the most active members if I can say so myself. I love taking the time to help new members or give tips, help, or requests for anyone. As you can see I am a very active "request" forum member.
(Will probably add more later)

#13 2010-05-13 19:32:30

fullmoon
Retired Community Moderator

Albus Dumbledore wrote:

...Perhaps those who are best suited for power are those who have never sought it.

In spite of this sagacious advice, I might as well throw my hat into the ring and see if anything happens. I've been active in the community to various degrees for three years now, and I plan on contributing to the forums this summer whether or not I am moderating them. And, like uncle Tom always said:

Lord Voldemort wrote:

There is only power, and those too weak to seek it!

As a community member, I see several minor issues that need to be addressed by the mods:

-- Lots of duplicate/stolen projects appearing in the Newest section of the front page. While this is going to happen no matter what, new users sometimes need a gentle reminder that they shouldn't take credit for other people's hard work. These projects often erupt in comment wars when the owner of the original project finds that it's been re-uploaded by a different user.

-- The FAQ forum is in shambles. Consider these questions:

Just About Everyone wrote:

Can you add a <when I receive [] > block?

Where do you get the Scratch source code?

What's a Scratch mod?

How do you scroll?

How do you do bullets?

How do I import multiple images?

When am I gonna get Scratch on my iThingy?

They have been asked many times and thus answered many times. If the FAQ forum was more comprehensive, common answers would be easy to find.

-- The video on the homepage (logout to see it) shows some ancient version of Scratch being used, maybe 1.1 or 1.2.1. I actually tried putting one together a while ago, but there were way too many good projects to include.

-- Actually, one of the other things I was going to mention involving the resurrection of old Misc. topics was addressed by Paddle2See today!

Yeah...I'll continue editing this post as more come to mind. Thanks for reading!

Last edited by fullmoon (2010-05-14 21:36:18)

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/fullmoon32/wow.jpg

#14 2010-05-13 19:57:35

TheSaint
Scratcher

I would love to take advantage of the opportuniy that you are offering! I have been on this forum since Feb 2008 (Different account), almost two years. I have enjoyed scratch since joining, and it has helped me learn much about my passions, and my college choices. It has given me alot, and now I would love the chance to help give back to the community.

Like I said, I have spent a good two years on scratch. I have never broken any major rules. (I once got a warning about copyright with nintendo...Haven't we all  tongue  ) I havn't gotten banned, or gotten warnings from the mods. I have helped many people, on the forums and on the regular website, either on their projects or through a question on my own.

I have gone through the entire process of useing the scratch program, which is really what this is all about. I have gone through not knowing what a variable block is to being able to reproduce many commercial games on a smaller scale using the limited but useful blocks that Scratch has. I have produced AI's, games, engines, platforms and other such variations. I am just saying that I am experianced with the language, and I believe that I could help with most questions that the community has.

I hope that you give me the chance to help this awsome community, and I hopethat the community will help me help them. In the event that I don't qualify, I recomend Lucario612 and Coolstuff, as both are level headed and are figures in the community that wish to help. My vote goes to them.

P.S. Thanks Lucario, due to your post in Misscelanoius, I now know about this.  tongue

#15 2010-05-13 20:05:38

cocoanut
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

Then post a brief statement announcing your nomination in this thread. (No other comments please).

Okay. I probably don't have the greatest chance, but does it hurt to try?

No.

Anyway, I'd love to help more with the community more, so I'll go ahead and enter.

I'm very active on Scratch (or so I think), and enjoy helping the community, though sometimes I am a bit hot-tempered.  tongue  I think this important opportunity would give me some "virtual experience" in life, while also helping others.

Last edited by cocoanut (2010-05-14 22:47:21)

http://i42.tinypic.com/20gyvif.jpgPlease leave a message at the beep.
Steam: Hellephant

#16 2010-05-13 20:08:27

Dazachi

I would be delighted to be a candidate. I have been working on Scratch for 7 months (I think). I try my best to report bad things, give kind replies, etc. I really would appreciate it if you would consider me. It would be an honor.

Dazachi, Retired Community Moderator
May also know me as OJACheung.

#17 2010-05-13 21:01:52

soupoftomato
Scratcher

I would like to nominate myself.

Though I have been in fights before, I have recently made a resolution to not get involved with them, and try to prevent them. I try to report threads if I see something wrong with them, and sometimes I am considered wrong, but everyone makes mistakes. I would like to stop needing to use the report button, and just rid the problem myself. I would delete spam, and other things that don't belong.

Yeah, bad speech, I know.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#18 2010-05-13 21:20:49

PlayWithFire
Scratcher

i would like to nominate myself

i feel like i've been growing up a lot over the past few years, and scratch has been growing up with me.  i don't have any plans to leave any time soon and i love the community here.  i have plenty of experience moderating (on the dg games website)  and i've found that over the years i've become more polite when replying to others comments or talking to others no matter how impolite they are to me to start.  i hope i could be given the chance to moderate.  thank you and scratch on.

oh and i've been on the site for approximately 2 years.

i've also never been banned ever, on ANY website and i'm fully aware of what is and isn't okay on the forums.

Last edited by PlayWithFire (2010-05-13 21:24:49)

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/PlayWithFire/1610180_sm.png
Check out the DG Games Website For the latest news on games like Infected

#19 2010-05-13 21:26:36

wiimaster
Scratcher

I would love the expierience of being a mod on Scratch!

I have been on for a while and go on every day. I know what is good and bad, and I will close spam or inappropriate topics. I am a good member of scratch, I believe, and follow the terms of use. I will not stop using scratch, and will keep up with my job. I will be polite, and fix my spelling. I also LOVE saying Scratch on.

Thank you, and Scratch on!

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/wiimaster1/Wiimaster_zps107dca4c.gif

#20 2010-05-13 21:35:05

dethklok52
Scratcher

Sounds like a big responsibility.I'll guess I will apply to be a moderator. As moderator I will lock text-based game topics in the misc. forum that have accidentally slipped in,and lock some topics that and/or turning into a hostile post. I've had some expirence using scratch and learned alot over the years I have been on, ( a seperate account), and I think I am mature enough for this position.Thats what I have to say on my behalf.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx146/Dethmugen/anon.jpg

#21 2010-05-13 22:15:27

AddZero
Scratcher

I would be honored to help as a moderator.

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/icons/buddy/524717_med.png?t=2010-06-15+09%3A48%3A36

#22 2010-05-13 23:13:53

Dazachi

I am going to redo my speech.

I have been on the Scratch Website for 7-8 months. I am an active contributer, commenter, forum poster, and more. I care a lot about Scratch and its community. I am always respectful, kind, and give constructive criticism if needed. I post on all of the forums. If I was a moderator, I would really work on stopping fights, stop spamming, and more. I hope you consider me as a candidate. I would be very honored.

I also recommend Jonathanpb and Chrischb as candidates if they want to since they are very kind, and dedicated. They would be perfect moderators.

Dazachi, Retired Community Moderator
May also know me as OJACheung.

#23 2010-05-14 10:01:53

12three
Scratcher

I would love to be a moderator! I am probably one of the oldest active people on Scratch, and I've been here since Early June 2008, and I have been on the forums since about the same time. I go on every single day, and I always visit unanswered posts so people don't feel ignored. I have never had a project flagged, and I get rid of spam and flag inappropriate projects when I see them, I love being myself, I give constructive criticism, and overall, I think I would be a friendly and helpful Mod.

Last edited by 12three (2010-05-14 11:54:12)

#24 2010-05-14 12:14:39

Wolfie1996

I think that this is a great opportunity for anyone who enters, and so I have decided to put myself forward. I am active whenever possible, and have been Scratch'ing since the summer of 2009. I try to help people who require it, and almost always report innappropriate posts, spam, and needless bumping of old threads (of course, if said bump is asking a question, I try to help if I know the answer). I'd carry on helping people, regardless of whether I get chosen, or not  smile

Last edited by Wolfie1996 (2010-05-14 12:15:04)

"...Jargon - the practice of never calling a spade a spade, when you might instead call it a manual earth-restructing implement..." - Bill Bryson, Mother Tongue

#25 2010-05-14 12:18:49

kiwi95
Scratcher

I would love to be a moderator on the website, it would be a great honour.

Scratch is something that I use everyday, and that goes for the forums and website as well. I'm always checking what's happening and what's up.
I love to help other less-knowing scratch users with their queries and often suggest useful tips.

If I was a Moderator, I'd be kind and respectful. Just as I am right now.
I would help with all matters around the forums, and do my job with fairness.
I have always followed the terms of use, and intend to in the further future.

I've been Scratching for quite some time, and know a lot about the program and website.

In conclusion, I know that I may not have the greatest scratch projects in the world, or even get noticed a lot, but I know that I would be kind, caring and do my job well.

Kiwi95.  smile

Last edited by kiwi95 (2010-05-14 12:20:12)

• Index
  •  » Announcements
  •  » If you wish to run for Scratch community moderator, post here...

Board footer