This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2010-05-14 15:42:40

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Re: Questions about Scratch community moderator elections...

Easy guys, this is not the place to sort these things out. Different folks will have different preferences - to each their own!

However, It might be useful to talk about the skills you think would make a good moderator. I'll start: patience. It's important to be able to keep one's cool in all kinds of situations, or to know when one is losing one's cool so you can step back, and take a break.

What do you think would be an important quality or skill for a moderator to have, or to develop?

Actually, I'm kind of derailing my own thread here  hmm  . If anyone's curious and wants to post about this, please feel free to stat a new one...

But let's keep this focused on questions about the elections.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#52 2010-05-14 15:47:42

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Well, I guess I'll post my speech here:

I've been on Scratch since late February 2008, and have been active on the forums since early March of that year, making me one of the oldest members to still be active - and I am one of the most respected members on the forums, too. I highly value respectfulness towards one another - a hostile environment is not one which is pleasant to be in. Every member should be treated equally. I know what the rules and terms of use on these forums are, and consistently report posts, comments, and projects that have the potential to be offensive. I love helping out around the community by offering helpful suggestions towards people's projects and helping them with difficult scripts. I have been curator and had two featured projects. Scratch has given so much to me, I'd love to give something back.

-Coolstuff

Last edited by coolstuff (2010-05-14 19:38:49)

#53 2010-05-14 15:54:05

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Jonathanpb wrote:

I'm not running; I want to stay free and moderate as I please.  big_smile

I don't like this idea about voting for moderators - I protest!  hmm  The problem with public elections is that the community just votes for people they like (or celebrities), and not people that would actually be good moderators. This happened in both TBG elections - oh, it was horrible. Luckily, we have good TBG moderators - but we almost didn't.

I strongly believe that the Scratch Team and moderators - only them - should decide new moderators.

Well - what's your opinion on this?
Sadly, I can't find anyone on the forums (including myself) who would be fit to be a moderator.  neutral

I agree with every single word your saying.

Honestly, I don't think we need more moderators. We seriously don't need any. All of the mods do their job well, and nobody who is currently active here would do a good job.

And just as well, with what you're saying about voting with moderators. Although it may be 'democratic', as I do in class decisions, I do remember the experiences we had with TBG mod elections, and they did get bad.

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#54 2010-05-14 16:21:16

DaGamez
Scratcher

I would love to be a moderator! There's only one problem. I've been on scratch for less than a month with this username, but I've been on without the account for a couple of years. Don't know if it means person or user on scratch for 6 months. Well, I doubt I'll get picked, so I'll also vote on a couple of users.
Chrischb and Jonathanpb. They've been on scratch for a long time and are VERY helpful.

http://scratchhtmlviewer.net23.net/image.php?project=1229757&user=DaGamez

#55 2010-05-14 16:24:02

coolstuff
Community Moderator

DaGamez wrote:

I would love to be a moderator! There's only one problem. I've been on scratch for less than a month with this username, but I've been on without the account for a couple of years. Don't know if it means person or user on scratch for 6 months. Well, I doubt I'll get picked, so I'll also vote on a couple of users.
Chrischb and Jonathanpb. They've been on scratch for a long time and are VERY helpful.

But both of them said they didn't want to be moderators.
Also, you're supposed to say if you want to run on the other thread.

Last edited by coolstuff (2010-05-14 16:24:31)

#56 2010-05-14 17:20:15

RHY3756547
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

I don't like this idea about voting for moderators - I protest!  hmm  The problem with public elections is that the community just votes for people they like (or celebrities), and not people that would actually be good moderators. This happened in both TBG elections - oh, it was horrible. Luckily, we have good TBG moderators - but we almost didn't.

I strongly believe that the Scratch Team and moderators - only them - should decide new moderators.

Sadly, I can't find anyone on the forums (including myself) who would be fit to be a moderator.  neutral

Honestly, I don't think we need more moderators. We seriously don't need any. All of the mods do their job well, and nobody who is currently active here would do a good job.

And just as well, with what you're saying about voting with moderators. Although it may be 'democratic', as I do in class decisions, I do remember the experiences we had with TBG mod elections, and they did get bad.

How can you agree and apply for the thing you are against? Personally I think even though the mods are doing a good job, that they are under a lot of stress from recent events.

#57 2010-05-14 17:22:49

gettysburg11
Scratcher

RHY3756547 wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

How can you agree and apply for the thing you are against? Personally I think even though the mods are doing a good job, that they are under a lot of stress from recent events.

Agreed. There have been a lot of closed topics and warnings issued lately.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#58 2010-05-14 18:16:07

scmb1
Scratch Team

At first, I wasn't so sure I liked the idea of an election, but after I thought about it, I (mostly) changed my mind.  I'm sure the Scratch Team will only choose candidates they think are worthy and capable, so it will be impossible for us to elect a bad mod. I was worried that a potentially good mod would not be voted for because nobody had heard of him or her, but then I realized that for a moderator to do a good job, he or she must be quite active on both the forums and the main site. A very active user rarely goes unnoticed. However, it is true that a user who is less well known (because his/her projects aren't often on the front page, etc...) may be be at a disadvantage to a very famous user, regardless of each user's responsibility, friendliness, fairness, and helpfulness. I'm optimistic that the members of the Scratch community will consider more than just fame when they vote.

I still haven't decided whether or not to run...  smile

Last edited by scmb1 (2010-05-14 18:17:53)

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z5pqad.png

#59 2010-05-14 18:50:11

Lucario621
Community Moderator

RHY3756547 wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

I'm not applying... silly RHY  wink

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#60 2010-05-14 18:53:48

RHY3756547
Scratcher

scmb1 wrote:

At first, I wasn't so sure I liked the idea of an election, but after I thought about it, I (mostly) changed my mind.  I'm sure the Scratch Team will only choose candidates they think are worthy and capable, so it will be impossible for us to elect a bad mod. I was worried that a potentially good mod would not be voted for because nobody had heard of him or her, but then I realized that for a moderator to do a good job, he or she must be quite active on both the forums and the main site. A very active user rarely goes unnoticed. However, it is true that a user who is less well known (because his/her projects aren't often on the front page, etc...) may be be at a disadvantage to a very famous user, regardless of each user's responsibility, friendliness, fairness, and helpfulness. I'm optimistic that the members of the Scratch community will consider more than just fame when they vote.

I still haven't decided whether or not to run...  smile

Surprisingly enough, a lot of people downvote famous users in competitions. To be fair, I have not won a single thing on this website so far.

#61 2010-05-14 18:54:22

littletonkslover
Scratcher

I agree with democracy, and the judgement of the Scratch Team. I am definately not applying though.

http://www.coxlab.org/images/rat_banner.jpg
That's the dark nature of capitalism. ~ Wonder Showzen

#62 2010-05-14 19:39:03

Chrischb
Scratcher

So far I might vote for gettysburg11... he's well-behaved and is mature.  smile

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#63 2010-05-14 19:41:22

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

RHY3756547 wrote:

gettysburg11 wrote:

TheSaint wrote:

Why not? I think that certain people, including Hmwilson, Coolstuff, Adriangl, and maybe Lucario have shown the maturity needed for the mod position. Whats wrong with them? I think that if you look hard enough, you can find some people who deserve it and would make a good juob.

How come everybody everybody keeps forgetting me? Also, I think you would be a good mod.

If you didn't say me because you don't think I'd be a good mod, just tell me so I know that's why and won't feel snubbed.

Same here actually.

And don't say "Because you were banned" because that's far from a good reason.

gettysburg11: You weren't really active in the past... and that's why I didn't choose you: Cause I thought you were sometimes inactive. Well, now you're not... and yes, I think you wouldn't be a bad moderator.  smile

RHY3756547: You've harassed a lot of people... including me. Why would I vote for you?

My picks: coolstuff, gettysburg11, markyparky56 and scmb1.

markyparky56 and scmb1, please run!

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-05-15 00:51:45)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#64 2010-05-14 19:44:00

16Skittles
Scratcher

I'll run!  wow! 3 pages in 2 days!

http://16skittles.tk/sig.png
Are you a student? Check out OnSchedule!

#65 2010-05-14 19:44:57

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

16Skittles wrote:

Is that impressive or something?

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#66 2010-05-14 19:49:19

16Skittles
Scratcher

Blade-Edge wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

at least by the rate of my topics.

http://16skittles.tk/sig.png
Are you a student? Check out OnSchedule!

#67 2010-05-14 19:52:04

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

16Skittles wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

I see.
So when will the candidates be decided upon?

#68 2010-05-14 19:52:44

gettysburg11
Scratcher

16Skittles wrote:

Well, people ususally get pretty interested when moderator spots are up for grabs.

Blade-Edge wrote:

16Skittles wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

I see.
So when will the candidates be decided upon?

The finalists will be announced on Tuesday.

Last edited by gettysburg11 (2010-05-14 19:53:13)

#69 2010-05-14 19:55:41

Musicstar888
Scratcher

Where is my post? I'm sure I posted something around here...

Goodbye, Misc. Until we meet again.
You're not alone.

#70 2010-05-14 19:56:41

gettysburg11
Scratcher

Musicstar888 wrote:

Check the other topic about this, the one where it says post here if you're going to apply.

#71 2010-05-14 19:57:52

Musicstar888
Scratcher

Anyway, I wanna run! I like to give people advice, and being a moderator would help. Does age matter? Because I'm in 4th grade. Anyone nominame me? (Other than myself?)

You're not alone.

#72 2010-05-14 19:59:11

Musicstar888
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

Musicstar888 wrote:

Check the other topic about this, the one where it says post here if you're going to apply.

Which one is that? Can you give me the link?

You're not alone.

#73 2010-05-14 20:00:16

scmb1
Scratch Team

Jonathanpb wrote:

Ah, thanks  smile  . I can't decide. It would be a big responsibility if, in the small chance, I was elected, so I want to consider many things before I commit.

I have a question for any current mod (or anyone who knows): How long are you expected to mod per day?

Last edited by scmb1 (2010-05-14 20:00:44)

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z5pqad.png

#74 2010-05-14 20:02:13

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

scmb1 wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

Ah, thanks  smile  . I can't decide. It would be a big responsibility if, in the small chance, I was elected, so I want to consider many things before I commit.

I have a question for any current mod (or anyone who knows): How long are you expected to mod per day?

There's no clear definition. It's not like they take shifts. Just mod whenever you usually go on

#75 2010-05-14 20:03:06

TheSaint
Scratcher

Getty, I am sorry, I just forgot about you.  tongue  You havn't been on lately, and you slipped my mind.

Rhy, i am sorry to say this, but you just aren't as level headed as the rest, in my opinion. They seem to act just a bit more maturly. Your an amazing scratcher and all, but I just think that they are better fit for the mod status. Then again, I am more like you than them, so what that says about my chances I don't know.  tongue

I feel mean...  sad

Last edited by TheSaint (2010-05-14 20:03:22)

Board footer