This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2010-05-13 19:13:30

RHY3756547
Scratcher

Re: Questions about Scratch community moderator elections...

coolstuff wrote:

scmb1 wrote:

You're post says "no other comments please." Does that mean no speeches or no posts that aren't people applying? I'm just curious- I haven't decided if I will run or not.

I think that until you've been chosen as one of the finalists - for lack of a better term - you shouldn't post any sort of speeches. After that, you're trying to convince people to vote for you, so I think those should be okay.

I believe that too.

But what about convincing the scratch team who is responsible enough to be part of the finalists?

#27 2010-05-13 19:31:15

coolstuff
Community Moderator

RHY3756547 wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

scmb1 wrote:

You're post says "no other comments please." Does that mean no speeches or no posts that aren't people applying? I'm just curious- I haven't decided if I will run or not.

I think that until you've been chosen as one of the finalists - for lack of a better term - you shouldn't post any sort of speeches. After that, you're trying to convince people to vote for you, so I think those should be okay.

I believe that too.

But what about convincing the scratch team who is responsible enough to be part of the finalists?

I think they get that idea from your general behaviour. You don`t have to convince them of your responsibility or sanity yourself, I think they`re pretty up-to-date on things like that.

#28 2010-05-13 19:37:16

fullmoon
Retired Community Moderator

Lucario621 wrote:

So overall, I like the idea. Although I personally don't think we need more mods because in my opinion, mods only have a slightly higher rank in authority, and have a few more tools to keep the community close, so the current mods already fulfill all of those very well.

I agree...it doesn't exactly seem like there are riots in the streets in any of the "main" forums (Show and Tell, All About, Suggestions, etc.) However, I do keep my distance from posting in the misc. forum, which probably could use some upkeep.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn100/fullmoon32/wow.jpg

#29 2010-05-13 19:48:14

RHY3756547
Scratcher

fullmoon wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

So overall, I like the idea. Although I personally don't think we need more mods because in my opinion, mods only have a slightly higher rank in authority, and have a few more tools to keep the community close, so the current mods already fulfill all of those very well.

I agree...it doesn't exactly seem like there are riots in the streets in any of the "main" forums (Show and Tell, All About, Suggestions, etc.) However, I do keep my distance from posting in the misc. forum, which probably could use some upkeep.

Yes. The only section that the mods are truly needed for is the misc section.

#30 2010-05-13 19:54:09

coolstuff
Community Moderator

RHY3756547 wrote:

fullmoon wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

I agree. I think it should be made clear that I view threads in the Misc section, I just don't reply to them that often.

#31 2010-05-13 19:55:19

Lightnin
Scratch Team

scmb1 wrote:

We want to make sure that the nomination thread just has people stating their intention to run, and maybe saying a few things about why, etc. Mainly we don't want that thread to get filled up with questions about the process - that's what this thread is for.  smile

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#32 2010-05-13 19:58:48

gettysburg11
Scratcher

coolstuff wrote:

RHY3756547 wrote:

fullmoon wrote:

I agree. I think it should be made clear that I view threads in the Misc section, I just don't reply to them that often.

Mostly it will be Miscellaneous that needs modding, but every once in a while, some new person will post a chatroom topic somewhere else that needs closing, or someone will ask a question somewhere else and a mod can help answer it.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#33 2010-05-13 19:59:01

Lightnin
Scratch Team

coolstuff wrote:

RHY3756547 wrote:

fullmoon wrote:

Actually, it's not just about the miscellaneous forum. You'll notice that we've changed the title from "forum moderator" to "community moderator."  The new role has to do with the whole community - not just the forums, and not just on miscellaneous. There's more about that on the forum moderator guidelines page - check it out.

#34 2010-05-13 19:59:44

scmb1
Scratch Team

Lightnin wrote:

scmb1 wrote:

Your post says "no other comments please." Does that mean no speeches or no posts that aren't people applying? I'm just curious- I haven't decided if I will run or not.

We want to make sure that the nomination thread just has people stating their intention to run, and maybe saying a few things about why, etc. Mainly we don't want that thread to get filled up with questions about the process - that's what this thread is for.  smile

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!

Last edited by scmb1 (2010-05-13 23:46:09)

http://i48.tinypic.com/2z5pqad.png

#35 2010-05-13 20:05:59

Dazachi
Retired Community Moderator

Oh wow! I wanna be a mod, but everyone does.

Dazachi, Retired Community Moderator
May also know me as OJACheung.

#36 2010-05-13 20:08:38

TheSaint
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

scmb1 wrote:

Whoops! I wrote a quick (long) speech to convince you. Ah well.

I like the fact that you guys want some new mods. Its been a while since that last new ones.

#37 2010-05-13 20:09:15

RHY3756547
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

RHY3756547 wrote:

Actually, it's not just about the miscellaneous forum. You'll notice that we've changed the title from "forum moderator" to "community moderator."  The new role has to do with the whole community - not just the forums, and not just on miscellaneous. There's more about that on the forum moderator guidelines page - check it out.

OK - that's good. I'm often nicer and more helpful on the actual website anyways, I love helping with projects when I can.  tongue 

Would this also include the TBGs?

#38 2010-05-13 20:10:07

coolstuff
Community Moderator

RHY3756547 wrote:

Lightnin wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

OK - that's good. I'm often nicer and more helpful on the actual website anyways, I love helping with projects when I can.  tongue 

Would this also include the TBGs?

Very good question! I'm guessing not, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

#39 2010-05-13 22:14:13

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

It will not include the TBG

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#40 2010-05-14 01:23:30

Chrischb
Scratcher

I'm not running... moderating would take a lot of time.  big_smile

Is the Scratch Team still going to choose people themselves sometime? Like the current moderators...

Meh - all I want is a way to do what's necessary when I see it.
I don't really like this idea... I only see a few users that might make good candidates in my opinion. And it would all get confusing... I'd rather the Scratch Team choose themselves and not hold an election.

But elections let us all help decide...

Last edited by Chrischb (2010-05-14 01:27:52)

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#41 2010-05-14 01:31:14

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

I'm not running; I want to stay free and moderate as I please.  big_smile

I don't like this idea about voting for moderators - I protest!  hmm  The problem with public elections is that the community just votes for people they like (or celebrities), and not people that would actually be good moderators. This happened in both TBG elections - oh, it was horrible. Luckily, we have good TBG moderators - but we almost didn't.

I strongly believe that the Scratch Team and moderators - only them - should decide new moderators.

Well - what's your opinion on this?
Sadly, I can't find anyone on the forums (including myself) who would be fit to be a moderator.  neutral

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-05-14 01:32:43)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#42 2010-05-14 06:12:25

TheSaint
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

Sadly, I can't find anyone on the forums (including myself) who would be fit to be a moderator.  neutral

Why not? I think that certain people, including Hmwilson, Coolstuff, Adriangl, and maybe Lucario have shown the maturity needed for the mod position. Whats wrong with them? I think that if you look hard enough, you can find some people who deserve it and would make a good juob.

#43 2010-05-14 07:39:30

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

TheSaint wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

Why not? I think that certain people, including Hmwilson, Coolstuff, Adriangl, and maybe Lucario have shown the maturity needed for the mod position. Whats wrong with them? I think that if you look hard enough, you can find some people who deserve it and would make a good juob.

Yeah and at what Chris said. "Almost didn't have a good TBG"?
Did you see who else was running? All of those people would've been good for the job.

Last edited by Blade-Edge (2010-05-14 07:39:44)

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#44 2010-05-14 08:06:43

Chrischb
Scratcher

Blade-Edge wrote:

TheSaint wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

Did you see who else was running? All of those people would've been good for the job.

Who are you, Mr_X? Nobody else would care anymore, the TBG is forgotten.

I admit that I acted a bit badly at the time... I was feeling so stressed.  hmm

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#45 2010-05-14 08:11:10

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

TheSaint wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

Sure, some people wouldn't do bad, but I don't think there's anyone as good as the current moderators. Most people have gotten into arguments before and have been rude... and the nicer people aren't as active.

coolstuff and markyparky56 wouldn't be bad... they're active enough, they're helpful - and they don't get into arguments.

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#46 2010-05-14 08:35:02

Lightnin
Scratch Team

Jonathanpb wrote:

I don't like this idea about voting for moderators - I protest!  hmm  The problem with public elections is that the community just votes for people they like (or celebrities), and not people that would actually be good moderators. This happened in both TBG elections - oh, it was horrible. Luckily, we have good TBG moderators - but we almost didn't.

This is always a risk in any election. If it becomes a simple popularity contest, then the people elected will probably not be competent for the job. That's why it's important that voters consider many factors when choosing who to vote for, and don't get swayed by all the glitz and drama around the election.

Our ability to maintain the forums depends on help from the Scratch community. So it's important that Scratchers choose wisely - based on their sense of the candidates ability, maturity, and investment in the community.

But the people you choose don't have to be _perfect_. Like anything else, it takes time to learn to moderate well. So don't judge them at too high of a standard before you give them a chance!

#47 2010-05-14 10:15:34

Blade-Edge
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

Blade-Edge wrote:

TheSaint wrote:

Who are you, Mr_X? Nobody else would care anymore, the TBG is forgotten.

I admit that I acted a bit badly at the time... I was feeling so stressed.  hmm

What, you're still being biased against Mr_X after all this time? Stop judging people

Oh yeah, and in the previous post I meant John not chris. I got you two mixed up

Last edited by Blade-Edge (2010-05-14 10:16:50)

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5145/scratchycat.gif CLASSY

#48 2010-05-14 11:22:13

RHY3756547
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

It will not include the TBG

OK.

I guess I would be able to do this then, as I go on the normal site and forums nearly every day but never on the TBG.

#49 2010-05-14 11:55:30

gettysburg11
Scratcher

TheSaint wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

How come everybody everybody keeps forgetting me? Also, I think you would be a good mod.

If you didn't say me because you don't think I'd be a good mod, just tell me so I know that's why and won't feel snubbed.

Last edited by gettysburg11 (2010-05-14 11:57:28)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh184/mnacmilan/LOGO_ACMILAN-Splash.gif

#50 2010-05-14 12:01:19

RHY3756547
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

TheSaint wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

How come everybody everybody keeps forgetting me? Also, I think you would be a good mod.

If you didn't say me because you don't think I'd be a good mod, just tell me so I know that's why and won't feel snubbed.

Same here actually.

And don't say "Because you were banned" because that's far from a good reason.

Board footer