This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-05-22 03:18:31

redware
Scratcher

Scratch for 3-6 Year Olds ?

I am interested in using scratch in a computer club (and parent network) for children in the 3-6 age group. I have been researching Logo and have posted some sample projects from the Logo literature in the YOUNG PROGRAMMERS gallery.

These projects concentrate on teaching simple turtle graphics putting together sequences of forward and backward movements and teaching angles for making turns.

If anyone has any ideas, experience, pointers, or projects - I would be greatful to hear about them.

Thanks.

#2 2007-05-22 09:09:44

darkwyrm
Scratcher

Re: Scratch for 3-6 Year Olds ?

I have a feeling that it will not be easy to work with scratch for the littler ones -- a lot of it depends on their ability to read. I'm going to be experimenting with my 1st graders in the next week or so and I have a feeling that it will work out pretty well for them at the most basic level. I have my 5-year-old daughter in a PreK class at my school as well and she would be lost even though she knows more basics about computers than other children her age.

In the computer classes I teach (once every other week for half an hour for each student), I focus on things like basic keyboarding and mousing skills. I have a PreK-3 class which they've done nothing but play with the wonderful GPL paint program TuxPaint. They *still* get confused pretty easily. I don't know much about your situation, but IMHO I would try Scratch with the 6-year-olds if they've got sufficient reading skills and focus on the basics for the younger ones -- I think it's a great idea that you'd like to try it with them, but my only concern as a PreK parent and PK3-6th computer teacher is that you'd be setting yourself up for a lot of frustration. Whatever you decide to do, I wish for you the best.  smile

#3 2007-05-22 10:00:01

redware
Scratcher

You are right -  think the blocks are too hard for little people.

I have been looking at Logo and the educators there indicate that it is fine for 5 year olds but only if you take great care in how you introduce the concepts (sometimes they do things without understanding them). I am thinking more of creating content (scratch applications) for the little ones to use to learn the concepts of MOVE 10, TURN 90 and so on. I have had success with one key logo.

Perhaps let them use some partally built scratch applications where thay can record their own voices or use their own drawngs on pre-built sprites ? I know my 6 year old boy would love to create harry potter games with scratch sprites ...

I am still considering things so thanks for your reply....

#4 2007-05-22 13:14:41

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Logo is available with blocks that aren't much different from scratch's.
Any kid who can learn logo can learn scratch---in fact, the entry barrier for scratch is somewhat lower.

You will have to go slowly, not giving them the whole thing at once, but I think scratch is feasible for brighter 5 year olds.  (I'm less certain about 3 year olds---I would not be putting kids that young in front of a screen.)

That said, I limited my Tech Club to 4th grade and up, though the limitation was more due to the number of machines available and the time it takes to teach kids, not whether or not they are capable younger.

#5 2007-05-22 14:04:05

Roberth
Scratcher

I'll have to add my own experience at introducing this to my children, ages 4-13.  While my teenager may be more capable of using something more like a real programming language like C++ or C#.  Still, he has had quite a bit of fun working with scratch and has made some interesting little projects.

What I find interesting is my 4 year old and his slightly older sister who is 6.  My 6 year old is bright enough and with what she has picked up in Kindergarten has been able to make some very simple Scratch projects... usually with quite a bit of assistance but she still can get some interesting things done.  I'm going to see if I can spend a bit more time with her this summer on developing some of these projects in more depth.

My 4 year old is mainly playing with Scratch because his siblings are so much into trying different things out that he wants to get in on the action.  He is acting as a "beta tester" for his older siblings and has had fun using the sprite painting tool, pulling up different costumes, and filling the screen with some of his favorite pictures (he is really into automobiles and modes of transportation).  Some of the screens he produces do look like a 4-year-old designed them, but as a father I find it quite interesting to see how comfortable he is with using computers and getting the tasks he wants to accomplish up and running.  Let's just say that I won't let him have root access to the hard drive  smile

I could see that an educator or parent could also put together some simple learning activities using Scratch that would help reinforce some basic learning concepts such as counting exercises or matching colors.  My experience with most educational software ideas aimed at this age group (3-6 year olds) is that it tends to have far too much "entertainment" value and doesn't really concentrate on real thinking skills.  This isn't to say that such software can't be fun, but they are aiming for selling their products to parents, not necessarily trying to reach any sort of value for the kids themselves.

#6 2007-05-22 15:24:29

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

If a young kid just wants to draw on the computer, I think that KidPix makes a better tool than scratch.

#7 2007-05-22 18:56:27

chrissie
Scratcher

I would give it a go. It is suprising what young children can manage when they are sufficiently motivated. I would start by focussing on forwards and backwards, e.g. drawing their own sprites and setting them to go forwards and bakwards. Maybe this could be extended by them drawing two sprites that "chase" each other. It should make them laugh if nothing else!

#8 2007-05-23 05:35:56

redware
Scratcher

Maybe three is too young as you say above (although am trying stuff out on my own children). I know my six year old would love to create simple games so for 5-6 year olds so I am thinking of creating two simple sprites in scratch one of which  you control to chase the other (or vice versa).
The kids in the computer club could draw or choose the background and then import the two sprites into scratch changing the costumes to their own design and viola - they will have created their own game.
Another option (maybe more for girls) is to have a choice of backgrounds  and a selecton of sprite characters that they move around to create a story so each sprite just has movement and speech bubbles.
I feel that 5-6 year olds should be able to handle the motons section in scratch - perhaps moving on to variables. Not sure about when to bring in iteraton.
For the drawing (and the youngest), I could look at kidpix but it is not free so I need to look around for something smilar.

#9 2007-05-23 06:21:30

Krystof
Scratcher

At Antarringinya remote Aboriginal community Homeland Centre  we have a girl  born in  2001 who made a few simple projects that included drawing sprites, moving them with keyboard arrows, recording and attaching sounds. While initially, 2 months ago, she has been only drawing and 10 year olds have been helping her to assemble the  blocks,  recently she  has started experimenting with the blocks by herself.

#10 2007-05-24 14:21:27

delza
Scratcher

redware wrote:

Maybe three is too young as you say above (although am trying stuff out on my own children). I know my six year old would love to create simple games so for 5-6 year olds so I am thinking of creating two simple sprites in scratch one of which  you control to chase the other (or vice versa).
[...]
I feel that 5-6 year olds should be able to handle the motons section in scratch - perhaps moving on to variables. Not sure about when to bring in iteraton.
For the drawing (and the youngest), I could look at kidpix but it is not free so I need to look around for something smilar.

My six-year-old is creating simple animations and games in Scratch.  When he gets stuck, he gets help from his ten-year-old sister or from me.

BTW, I love being able to tell people that my ten-year-old is helping my six-year-old with his programming. Thanks, Scratch team!

#11 2007-05-25 18:41:05

room209
Scratcher

Museum Magnet school in St. Paul, MN uses Scratch with kindergarteners and they have a grand time.

#12 2007-05-26 01:11:08

mungojelly
Scratcher

I don't think that Scratch is quite right for the average three year old.  There's another interesting question here, though: What would be a good programming language for three year olds?

We could maybe start experimenting with even more reduced dialects of Scratch.  Here's a sketch off the top of my head: Have just six colors (the primaries & secondaries), and instead of an "if" block you have to put a "touching color X" block into, just have six blocks with the six colors.  That'd be enough flow control.  Then into those you could put a handful of ways to respond: Bounce away, play a sound, etc.  The goal would be to make a situation where you could create complex interactions with just a few blocks, & there would be many more right answers than wrong answers.  I'm sure we can make languages to fit everyone's abilities.

<3

#13 2007-05-26 05:54:59

weissjd
Scratcher

In all seriousness, I would give a three year old Legos. Not the robotics kit or the ones that are supposed to make the Millenium Falcon or anything like that, just a bunch of blocks. I think the research supports the idea that this kind of toy is much better for a three year old than any software could be.

#14 2007-06-03 17:56:34

sam_i_am
Scratcher

My six year old is also doing animations and games using Scratch. At first he did all the design - the background, the sprites and the costumes, and I did the programming, but I talked through what I was doing and showed him the blocks. I wanted to build up slowly, but he wanted to just dive in with BIG projects, so we did, lol!
We've only done 4 projects, and already he is trying things out on his own. He's managed to create a short adventure animation, which he is delighted with.
I think Scratch could be used to very great effect with the 5-6 age group.

For my 2 year old, I would rather create programs for him to interact with.
We also use TuxPaint for drawing, which is great and FREE. We've created pictures which we've imported into Scratch as backgrounds and stamps which we can use as sprites.

#15 2007-06-03 18:21:53

Mayhem
Scratcher

I think my year 2 class (ages 6-7) could handle scratch, if it was introduced gradually.

I'd start them off on simple animations.

First we would storyboard our scenes as part of a literacy lesson. 

Then I'd model how to animate a sprite, getting input from the children in real time as to what we want him to do next.

At this point, I'd be ignoring all the orange blocks except "green flag pressed" and "wait".

Then it would be their turn, initially following a specific set of instructions to recreate my animation.

Then it would be their turn to animate their own story.   They would work in pairs, with the more literate/numerate paired with the lower ability children for help with the reading and numbers.

I'd give them scratch-cards for moving, thinking and speech.  Each would have a question in simple language "How do I move up the screen?"  an answer in scratch blocks (change y by __) and at the bottom, a more complicated explanaton of *why* these blocks do that thing, for the Higher Ability children.

I wouldn't give out any extra cards until specifically asked "I want to do this, how do I do it?"

Darn - I really want to do this now - it would fit really well with this weeks literacy theme of cautionary tales...  sadly our ICT topic is already palnned out for the next 6 weeks...

Last edited by Mayhem (2007-06-03 18:27:42)

Web-spinning Spider:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/18456
3D Dungeon Adventure:  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/23570
Starfighter X: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/21825
Wandering Knight: http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Mayhem/28484

#16 2007-06-04 12:26:23

redware
Scratcher

I have tried stuff out now on a couple of children aged 6 and 7 and they seem to grasp sequence, iteration, and control statements fine when taught in the context of moving a sprite around the stage.

I have created a set of notes for parents/teachers/club facilitators to follow in a series of lessons designed to teach both scratch and computer programming principles. PLEASE take a look at http://www.redware.com/scratch/ and give me some feedback (you can download a windows helpfile to take to class with you if you have no internet where you teach).

I first demonstrated creating an application and then got them to create their own application from scratch immediately afterwards. They remembered the concepts into the next day and I am very pleased with their progress, So I would say definately it is possible to teach scratch to six year olds ~(I am of course interested because my children are not yet 8 years old).

I think now the issue is to suggest projects for them to build which will keep them interested. I am starting with a name application where they animate sprites with the letters of ther name.

Regarding 3-5 year olds - I am sticking with onekey logo (also at http://www.redware.com/logo/) and prebuilt applications.

Last edited by redware (2007-06-06 17:53:14)

#17 2007-06-04 16:08:26

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Remember to have them submit their Name project to the Names gallery:
http://scratch.mit.edu/galleries/293

#18 2007-06-14 21:45:34

mdusoe
Scratcher

I thought I would interject here.  I think that age is irrelevant when it comes to these things - the child will know when he/she is ready, and as a parent/educator, you will know too.

I have a 4 year old who has been reading since last summer, when he was 3.  He plays chess, and he loves computer games.  Of course, he plays outside too, and does all those things that 4 year olds do, but given a choice between playing chess and playing T-Ball, he would rather play chess.

He has recently started toying around with Scratch.  His favorite is when I help him cut out a digital picture of himself ("Don't cut my arm off, Daddy!") and then he throws a ball to the Cat.  He likes recording his voice ("Here it comes!"), and playing it "When Mikey clicked". 

Would I do that with any other 4 year old? Probably not.  But as his father, it is my job - and delight - to feed the interests that he shows, so that he can make decisions with more information as he grows.

And besides, at least I am better than him at this, since I can't seem to beat him at chess!!!  :+))

Mike.

#19 2007-07-12 11:20:22

goblet
Scratcher

Does any1 think this is a coincidence or is this for a reason JKR has not yet mentioned?

Messers MOONY,WORMTAIL,PADFOOT and PRONGS.........

PRONGS(James Potter) died 1st
  PADFOOT(Sirius Black) died 2nd
  does this also mean WORMTAIL(Peter Pettigrew will die next and
  then MOONY(Remus Lupin) wil die next?l

#20 2007-08-26 16:14:06

beny
Scratcher

kevin_karplus wrote:

If a young kid just wants to draw on the computer, I think that KidPix makes a better tool than scratch.

your right, KidPix is good, my 7 year old brother does it ALL the time

more people like the letter B than the letter A!
i'm going for 250 posts!

#21 2007-08-26 16:17:43

beny
Scratcher

mdusoe wrote:

I thought I would interject here.  I think that age is irrelevant when it comes to these things - the child will know when he/she is ready, and as a parent/educator, you will know too.

I have a 4 year old who has been reading since last summer, when he was 3.  He plays chess, and he loves computer games.  Of course, he plays outside too, and does all those things that 4 year olds do, but given a choice between playing chess and playing T-Ball, he would rather play chess.

He has recently started toying around with Scratch.  His favorite is when I help him cut out a digital picture of himself ("Don't cut my arm off, Daddy!") and then he throws a ball to the Cat.  He likes recording his voice ("Here it comes!"), and playing it "When Mikey clicked". 

Would I do that with any other 4 year old? Probably not.  But as his father, it is my job - and delight - to feed the interests that he shows, so that he can make decisions with more information as he grows.

And besides, at least I am better than him at this, since I can't seem to beat him at chess!!!  :+))

Mike.

a 4 year old beating a parent in chess? good grief, my 7 year old brother can't even beat me at checkers!(even though he's a couple years younger than me)

more people like the letter B than the letter A!
i'm going for 250 posts!

#22 2007-10-09 16:44:25

Lanie624
Scratcher

Chess your son plays chess!!!! Im 14 and i dont know how to play chess lol!!! I am teaching my younger brother how to use scratch and he likes it but he gets frustrated if he cant do something  smile

smile

#23 2007-10-09 17:10:21

archmage
Scratcher

I tried to teach my little brothers how to use scratch. They didn't really seem too interested. I guess some people are more interested in programming than others, even if they don't have to memorize code.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#24 2007-10-10 10:21:03

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Lanie624, archmage: it's so cool you're trying to teach Scratch to your younger brothers! I am curious, how do you guys teach Scratch to them? I think the Scratch Team and other Educators would love to know about your experiences teaching Scratch. I am sure we can learn a lot from you! Please share  big_smile

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#25 2007-10-10 15:37:43

Lanie624
Scratcher

when my brother wants to go on scratch he calls me to help him and so I do! First he will tell me his ideas then I will sit down with him and I will show him step by step how to do what he wants done and help him with the sprites. At first he does not get it so I go over it with him and by the time we are done he knows just what to do but he still needs to learn more of the basic things!!  I am very happy to help my brother but sometimes i get frustrated because he has so many questions but im very happy to be his Big Sister and help him  smile

smile

Board footer