This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-05-22 03:14:05

anagramster
Scratcher

export

I exported a sprite.

Then I imported it 5 times.
Luckily, all behavior was random in the sprite.

But I can easily imagine that it would be nice to have "public" variables with default values for a sprite, and the sprite should show up in the tool box, maybe in a "custom" bucket.

Or that I can create a phrase such as with the out-of-the-box gadgets that a user would complete after dragging on to the script panel.

As it appears now, the script is copied for the sprite instance, and is thus "fully customizable", but the option to create more gadgets from exports with "phrased parameters" would be nice.

#2 2007-05-22 08:09:22

relyt12101
Scratcher

Re: export

Ok...

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2860/pspbanneregg089deiy0.png

#3 2007-05-22 21:06:15

mungojelly
Scratcher

Re: export

What would really be nice is a whole class inheritance structure.  It's even possible that could be made simple enough to fit in with Scratch's vibe.  What makes Scratch work is that it presents the most intuitive parts of the OO (object oriented) model.  I personally would have gone at least a tiny bit further with that--

for instance instead of a global broadcast/receive system (which actually seems a little confusing to me), I would have gone with a version of object methods, like: "Tell (object) To (action)" and the (action) drop box shows a list of things the (object) knows how to do.

But in general I don't think it would be a good idea at all to start globbing features onto Scratch.  It's at a very sensible & carefully chosen level of complexity already.  What I think we're seeing here is that there would be a place for-- there's a thirst for-- something that's like Scratch but at a more intermediate level of complexity.

I have a feeling that there will be a lot of new kinds of programming languages soon, & I think it's good that we're brainstorming on that here.

<3

Board footer