This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » FAQ
  •  » When is Scratch going to be translated to my language? Can I help?

#26 2007-09-18 19:21:45

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: When is Scratch going to be translated to my language? Can I help?

rodman: more languages are coming. I hope that answers your question.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#27 2007-09-19 11:53:13

13postures
Scratcher

Hello all,

Since scratch is not ready to be translated into my native language (greek), i wonder if i can do the next best thing and translate by using english characters to write greek words. Can i accomplish something like that with relative ease and (if so) how?

Thanks

#28 2007-09-19 13:54:04

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

13postures: the October release will let people create their own translations by simply editing a text file. This just the first step because it will only let you use latin characters  but it will work for what you want to achieve.

#29 2007-09-20 01:09:04

13postures
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

13postures: the October release will let people create their own translations by simply editing a text file. This just the first step because it will only let you use latin characters  but it will work for what you want to achieve.

Thanks andresmh. I'll keep an eye out for the new version.

#30 2007-09-21 19:06:39

hrm
Scratcher

Hi,

I would gladly help translating Scratch into Danish.

Please advise.

#31 2007-09-25 15:17:28

chvjak
Scratcher

I can translate into Russian and Ukrainian.

#32 2007-10-28 09:50:57

aadaam
Scratcher

Hi all,

Could I get source materials to the media files - help, getting started, scratch cards - to translate it into hungarian?

if there would be a web interface (<in english> < - > <in foreign language>) to those files, even if after this the files would be updated manually by some volunteers, it would make the world better...  smile

Unfortunately, in Hungary, 75% of people don't speak any foreign languages, this is true for most of the teachers - and since it was a "forbidden" language before 1990, most of them only speak german or russian if at all. So I can't recommend it for them without hungarian material.

#33 2007-10-28 16:55:31

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Perhaps the scratch documentation and translations into various languages could be put on a wiki site, so that it would be easier for community editing.

#34 2007-10-31 06:23:57

natalie
Scratch Team

The wiki site is a great idea. We are planning to set up a user-friendly wiki for support materials, and are now waiting for the system admins to have time to set it up on our server. Please let us know if you have additional suggestions about this.

#35 2007-10-31 14:33:34

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

I wonder if Scratch would ever be translated into Russian... I want to introduce my friends to Scratch but they can't speak English good. Our school is working as hard as it can to improve the students' English though!  smile  Hope it helps...

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#36 2007-10-31 19:48:00

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Yeah, for sure it will be translated to Russian by 2008!

Your English is so good though. Better than mine for sure. I just learned English a few years ago.

#37 2007-11-01 00:37:52

bernatp
Scratcher

aadaam wrote:

Hi all,

Could I get source materials to the media files - help, getting started, scratch cards - to translate it into hungarian?

Kedves aadaam!

Balaton Marcell és jómagam Bernát Péter, mint informatika-matematika szakos egyetemisták az év eleje óta foglalkozunk a magyar Scratch-elők támogatásával. Mi készítettük el a parancsok fordítását (amelyet a Language menüben beállíthat), és tananyagok, áttekintések írásával is foglalkozunk. Jelenleg honlapunk régebbi változatát érheti el, de november végén egy új portállal rukkolunk elő.
A régi oldalunkat itt találja:
http://scratch.inf.elte.hu/
A 'kapcsolat' alatt olvasható az e-mail címünk; örömmel vesszük, ha megkeres minket.

#38 2007-11-01 07:47:43

natalie
Scratch Team

Greetings! Yes, the source materials for for help are here:
http://llk.media.mit.edu/projects/scratch/help/HelpSourcePNGs.zip

The source materials for Getting Started and Scratch Cards are here:
http://scratch.mit.edu/files/materials/

Please see note below...

#39 2007-11-01 07:48:50

natalie
Scratch Team

Note! We haven't updated those yet for the new version 1.2 that's coming out soon, but will within the next week or so.

#40 2007-11-01 09:02:13

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

andresmh wrote:

Yeah, for sure it will be translated to Russian by 2008!

Hooray!! Go Scratch Team!

andresmh wrote:

Your English is so good though. Better than mine for sure. I just learned English a few years ago.

Really? In my opinion, your English is great.
I lived in America and learned English there. So it's not school.
Also, I sometimes don't write commas in sentences. It's slang.  yikes  I'm not serious...  roll

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#41 2007-11-10 08:22:40

prolin
Scratcher

I am come from taiwan .I translate "Getting Started " and "Scratch Help Screens" to traditional chinese . May be somebody need it .

Getting Started
http://w3.sy3es.tnc.edu.tw/wiki/images/d/da/Tw_ScratchGettingStarted.pdf

Scratch Help Screens
http://www.sy3es.tnc.edu.tw/teaching/Scratch%20Help%20Screens.htm

Now , I have a big problem :
Scratch 1.1 can't show any chinese letter .
May be it have to has "change font" function . or ...

#42 2007-11-10 15:10:56

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Version 1.2 of Scratch will let anyone translate Scratch to any language that uses roman characters.

In 2008 we will release a version that will let you translate Scratch to any language, even those with that do not use roman characters like Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Hebrew, Arabic, Hindi, etc.

#43 2007-11-11 18:10:27

aadaam
Scratcher

OK, thanks, i downloaded the files  smile

It seems I'll need Adobe Fireworks and Illustrator, I'll try to get them and possibly post the results here.

#44 2007-11-15 06:36:04

MartinWollenweber
Scratcher

Suggestion for Scratch Versions beyond Scratch 1.2:  General Scratch-System to translate not only the Block-Names and User-Interface but also the user chosen variable names and comments and finally: the ScratchR-System for this Homepage.
* Scratch 1.1 had the very useful abilizy to switch the language of the Blocks
* Scratch 1.2 we has the big advantage of beeng translateable in all aspects of blocks an User Interface fom a "easy to edit" language-textfile: So yo can have any languages (with Latin letters)
* Scratch 1.? will have not eaven Latin-Letters but also Arabic, Chinese etc.

But to reuse the programs of the international Scratch-Community for Kids (or others that do not speak englisch like me sometimes :-) ) you have to make seperate Versions with native variable names and comments (in 1.2).

1. You could have a general language switch that give you the ability to rename the Variables and Comment for the target language, save the translation in the Scratch-program an share it.
1a) It would be a very good thing if you could save such translations in the original-program at the Scratch Homepage even if it was not your programm. The original programmer could make a switch at his "myStuff"-page to say: "Your free to translate it for the international community"
2. The last missing aspect of complete internationality of scratch is the online-translation of this Homepage. For national copies of the ScratchR-System, but also for this Source-Page

If we have this we reach the target of complete internationality of Scratch !
Before that we will always have people (like my kids) that have some problems with Scratch because of the language.

Martin
...mitmachen beim  DACH-Scratch-Wiki und Scratch-Wiki-Autor werden!

#45 2007-11-15 16:26:44

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I like the idea of allowing translations of comments and variables in the original project being kept with the original project.

I suspect that there may develop ScratchR forums in languages other than English, though I suspect that the largest forum will remain the international one at scratch.mit.edu, which will continue to use English as the working language.

#46 2007-11-22 08:04:23

boston01
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

Andres,

that is great.  2008 is right around the corner.  is there anything I can help while you are working on the double-byte characters?

Thanks

John

#47 2007-11-28 08:46:06

JSO
Community Moderator

O... I completely waiting on the next version of scratch. But because we use other dates in belgium than in America (USA 9/11/2001 is BE 11/9/2001) so BE dd/mm/yyyy instead of mm/dd/yyyy i think) Wich version is in now? 1.1?

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2v1q0e9.jpg

#48 2007-11-28 09:48:49

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Currently version 1.1 of scratch is the release version.  Some time in early December 2007 they will release version 1.2 (it has been in beta testing for about a month).

#49 2007-12-10 12:50:08

evhan55
Scratcher

prolin wrote:

I am come from taiwan .I translate "Getting Started " and "Scratch Help Screens" to traditional chinese . May be somebody need it .

Getting Started
http://w3.sy3es.tnc.edu.tw/wiki/images/d/da/Tw_ScratchGettingStarted.pdf

Scratch Help Screens
http://www.sy3es.tnc.edu.tw/teaching/Scratch%20Help%20Screens.htm

Now , I have a big problem :
Scratch 1.1 can't show any chinese letter .
May be it have to has "change font" function . or ...

Thank you!

These have been linked to :
http://scratch.mit.edu/pages/languages

Evelyn

I love Scratch!  big_smile
my creative outlet

#50 2007-12-10 12:55:30

evhan55
Scratcher

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your interest in Scratch's language support.

I am pleased to report that with the release of Scratch 1.2, translation of the interface is now fully supported in Scratch.
For instructions on how to translate the Scratch blocks and interface to your language, please visit:
Scratch in Many Languages.

Unfortunately, this version doesn't yet include support for non-Latin character sets (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, etc).  However, we have started work on this support, and plan to have an interface that fully supports UTF-8 encoding coming soon.

Also in the works is the ability to translate the Scratch website into other languages.

Lastly, we are also working on a 'Scratch Translation' wiki, where people may discuss translations of the Scratch application, resource materials, and website into other languages.
Please stay tuned!

In the meantime, please visit the 'Scratch Translation' forum for more in depth discussion!

You can access it here: Scratch Translation Forum

Thank You!
Evelyn

I love Scratch!  big_smile
my creative outlet

• Index
  •  » FAQ
  •  » When is Scratch going to be translated to my language? Can I help?

Board footer