This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#101 2010-04-26 08:57:27

Jens
Scratcher

Re: BYOB 3 - Discussion Thread

The-Whiz wrote:

BYOB is great so far, except for one thing. I've discovered a way to actually network an infinite number of BYOBs together, to have them interact in any number of different ways. The only problem with this is... The ([network] sensor value) block DOES NOT SUPPORT LISTS AS VARIABLES. This is essential to my project.
Thanks!

Hi, The-Whiz,

my jaw drops to the floor in amazement at you guys! You just grasp what BYOB 3 and first class lists/blocks are about sooo quickly!!! I never believed it, but Brian kept insisting you would, and you do. You rock!

Of course variables on the mesh should be able to hold anything that's first class, like they do within a project. That's the whole concept of first-class-ness. You're so quick to understand these big and powerful ideas, it's incredible! And yes, we want to do make sensor variables do just that! Hang on and bear with us, there will be more of this....

Jens Mönig

#102 2010-04-26 09:44:24

fanofcena
Scratcher

I jst dwnloaded byob 2.99 yeah i am the too late bout it but the thing made my brain blow off amazement i was astonished on the way that how first class concept was represented, Also the Mutidimensional list addition was the most worthy addition to it  big_smile  . Truly Hats off to you guyz

http://i53.tinypic.com/2vxr2c0.png Click whats above u might make a cute planet happy ^_^

#103 2010-04-26 11:02:16

MathWizz
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

The-Whiz wrote:

BYOB is great so far, except for one thing. I've discovered a way to actually network an infinite number of BYOBs together, to have them interact in any number of different ways. The only problem with this is... The ([network] sensor value) block DOES NOT SUPPORT LISTS AS VARIABLES. This is essential to my project.
Thanks!

Hi, The-Whiz,

my jaw drops to the floor in amazement at you guys! You just grasp what BYOB 3 and first class lists/blocks are about sooo quickly!!! I never believed it, but Brian kept insisting you would, and you do. You rock!

Of course variables on the mesh should be able to hold anything that's first class, like they do within a project. That's the whole concept of first-class-ness. You're so quick to understand these big and powerful ideas, it's incredible! And yes, we want to do make sensor variables do just that! Hang on and bear with us, there will be more of this....

I understand it fairly well! But there are a few errors I get every once in a while because I coded something wrong, and yet I like it SOOOOOO MUCH!!!! It is strange that instead of putting a list NAME in a block you insert the whole list! I like it a lot and I think just about everyone will be able to understand it with a little practice...  big_smile

EDIT: w00t! I made a (item (1) < > of []) block!

Last edited by MathWizz (2010-04-26 11:13:21)

http://block.site90.net/scratch.mit/text.php?size=30&amp;text=%20A%20signature!&amp;color=333333

#104 2010-04-26 11:29:00

markyparky56
Scratcher

Ok, sometimes I try to make a block and it won't let. I get a wierd error... but i think that was just because i had it Dropbox folder. Its working properly now.

http://j.mp/jgVnTq
Check out my game engine development site: NewDawn I'm a Level 171 Scratcher.I am http://bit.ly/nkvLNT

#105 2010-04-26 14:04:46

MathWizz
Scratcher

I found a glitch! The c-shape command input arg set to multiple inputs doesn't display right.

http://block.site90.net/scratch.mit/text.php?size=30&amp;text=%20A%20signature!&amp;color=333333

#106 2010-04-26 14:36:45

RHY3756547
Scratcher

I promptly shut it down after creating a processor heavy application that laaaged. :'(

Really nice additions though.

#107 2010-04-26 15:15:10

Jens
Scratcher

MathWizz wrote:

I found a glitch! The c-shape command input arg set to multiple inputs doesn't display right.

Ha! I was waiting for his  smile  this part of the code is still under construction. The functionality is there, but I've yet got to fix the graphics.

It's great that you're trying every possible combination of types and arity! I'm interested in this: What would you use a multiple c-shape command input for (in a command block, or in a reporter, maybe even in a predicate)?

Jens Mönig

#108 2010-04-26 15:18:13

MathWizz
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

MathWizz wrote:

Ha! I was waiting for his  smile  this part of the code is still under construction. The functionality is there, but I've yet got to fix the graphics.

It's great that you're trying every possible combination of types and arity! I'm interested in this: What would you use a multiple c-shape command input for (in a command block, or in a reporter, maybe even in a predicate)?

I was making a swich block with multiple cases!

Last edited by MathWizz (2010-04-26 16:00:28)

#109 2010-04-26 15:49:47

markyparky56
Scratcher

MathWizz wrote:

Jens wrote:

MathWizz wrote:

I was making a switch block with multiple cases!

As in a switch like a dial?

http://j.mp/jgVnTq
Check out my game engine development site: NewDawn I'm a Level 171 Scratcher.I am http://bit.ly/nkvLNT

#110 2010-04-26 16:58:55

Jens
Scratcher

MathWizz wrote:

I was making a swich block with multiple cases!

Amazing. Brian and I have been discussing how to do these. If you find a solution I'd be very interested in looking at it! Maybe you can post the script somewhere, or upload Scratch project about it.

Jens Mönig

#111 2010-04-26 17:32:59

soupoftomato
Scratcher

How can I save my blocks for the next time I use BYOB (without saving the project)?

Sorry if this seems stupid.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#112 2010-04-26 18:05:18

The-Whiz
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

The-Whiz wrote:

Thanks!

Hi, The-Whiz,

Thanks, I'm glad you're going to add this!

In specific, I'm wondering - Will you eventually be able to edit sensor values? I think as well as the ([...] sensor value) and ([...] of [...]) blocks, you should also have [set [...] sensor value to [...]] and [set [...] of [...] to [...]], as well as show, hide, and change blocks for those functions.

#113 2010-04-26 18:06:12

shadow_7283
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

shadow_7283 wrote:

BUT WAIT, DON'T TELL ME HOW TO DO IT!

Oh dear, am I telling people how to do things too much? (It can't be Jens; I notice he never actually tells how to do anything in his replies.)  I think I'm nervous that people will get frustrated early and give up on BYOB.  But that doesn't seem to be happening.

No not at all. You are only giving help to people who ask for it. It was an unnecesary remark I guess. I just wanted to figure it out for myself. That's all.  smile

On another note, I think the Scratch Team is being a little to cautious about including BYOB in normal Scratch. Sure it is advanced, but the same old features are still there. There isn't anything preventing anyone from doing anything they've done before. Perhaps there could be an option like the "show/hide motor blocks" in Scratch 1.4! It could be something like "show/hide BYOB functions". That way a new Scratch user doesn't dive into the first class procedures until they are ready.

Last edited by shadow_7283 (2010-04-26 18:08:40)

#114 2010-04-26 18:13:00

soupoftomato
Scratcher

I can't get the blocks into the variable.

And I still want to know how to save my blocks.

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#115 2010-04-26 18:13:00

shadow_7283
Scratcher

I just noticed that the feature that keep the say and thought blocks from disappearing off the screen is missing. I know it isn't a huge deal, but is a little irritating. But I still love BYOB. In fact, my "BYOB Projects" folder is the first one listed in my "My Documents" page. It is a place of honor. You should be proud.  big_smile

Do you think Java will handle BYOB very well? I'm starting to think of ideas where BYOB could be used pratically on the internet. *Sigh*, if only Scratch converted to flash...

#116 2010-04-26 18:15:52

shadow_7283
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

You're right. That isn't included within BYOB...

Sorry for posting so much but... Every time I try to open BYOB it asks for the image file. It isn't a huge deal, but I do have to navigate for the file each time. Is there anyway to permanantely associate the image file with BYOB?

#117 2010-04-26 18:16:57

soupoftomato
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

My questions remain.

Shadow_7283, do you know?

#118 2010-04-26 18:22:56

shadow_7283
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

My questions remain.

Shadow_7283, do you know?

I would just create a blank project with the block in it and import it each time you want to use it. Sorry, that is the best I can come up with.

#119 2010-04-26 19:04:39

bharvey
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

How can I save my blocks for the next time I use BYOB (without saving the project)?

Sorry it took me some time to respond; I had to spend an hour or two doing what I'm actually paid for. :-)

If you export a sprite that has those blocks (as "for all sprites"), then you can drag the sprite file into another project, which will carry the blocks with it, and then delete the sprite and you'll be left with just the blocks.

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig5.png

#120 2010-04-26 19:07:57

bharvey
Scratcher

shadow_7283 wrote:

Every time I try to open BYOB it asks for the image file. It isn't a huge deal, but I do have to navigate for the file each time. Is there anyway to permanantly associate the image file with BYOB?

Mac or PC?

#121 2010-04-26 19:09:56

soupoftomato
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

Sorry it took me some time to respond; I had to spend an hour or two doing what I'm actually paid for. :-)

If you export a sprite that has those blocks (as "for all sprites"), then you can drag the sprite file into another project, which will carry the blocks with it, and then delete the sprite and you'll be left with just the blocks.

But that takes time.  sad

#122 2010-04-26 19:10:49

bharvey
Scratcher

soupoftomato wrote:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this.  Do you mean, how do you get any block into a variable?  If so, you use the THE BLOCK block in the Operators palette.  SET <var> [THE <....> BLOCK]

If you meant something else, please try again at explaining.  Thanks.

#123 2010-04-26 19:16:30

shadow_7283
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

shadow_7283 wrote:

Every time I try to open BYOB it asks for the image file. It isn't a huge deal, but I do have to navigate for the file each time. Is there anyway to permanantly associate the image file with BYOB?

Mac or PC?

PC. Like I said before with the stereotype, my generation is just too impatient!  wink
I know my ideas may have been lost with all the new posts on this topic, but what do you think about having an option that allows you to hide or show BYOB functions?

Last edited by shadow_7283 (2010-04-26 19:17:45)

#124 2010-04-26 19:26:38

soupoftomato
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

soupoftomato wrote:

I wasn't necessarily asking for you. The reason I reposted so often was because there were a lot of people coming to this thread, and no answers.

I guess you're answer will have to do though.

#125 2010-04-26 19:31:49

bharvey
Scratcher

shadow_7283 wrote:

I think the Scratch Team is being a little to cautious about including BYOB in normal Scratch. Sure it is advanced, but the same old features are still there. There isn't anything preventing anyone from doing anything they've done before. Perhaps there could be an option like the "show/hide motor blocks" in Scratch 1.4! It could be something like "show/hide BYOB functions". That way a new Scratch user doesn't dive into the first class procedures until they are ready.

Well, I agree, of course, but to be fair let me try to represent their concerns.  It's not so much the blocks we added that worries them.  They think, rightly I'm sure, that once these capabilities are available, people will start uploading projects that use their own custom blocks, and then other people will find those projects incomprehensible because they don't understand the custom blocks. This is not an absurd fear.  My tools.sb file is, what, maybe 30 added blocks that are going to turn up in all /my/ projects.   smile   So, I can see why this particular feature (not even the first-class stuff, just being able to make blocks) is scarier than other extensions might be.

But the other side of it is that I find any reasonably interesting Scratch project unreadable already!  People write these huge long scripts that go on forever, and the trouble with visual programming is that the "idea density" on the screen is smaller than in pure text languages.  Easier to write, but in some ways harder to read.  And custom blocks should /help/ with that, because a lot of the code in those Scratch scripts is repetitive.

Board footer