This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#6301 2012-11-25 15:00:07

blob8108
Scratcher

Re: BYOB 3 - Discussion Thread

bharvey wrote:

nXIII wrote:

– UTI declarations & document icons

I don't understand those.

I believe this is to register Snap! as the application to open Snap! files...

Things I've made: kurt | scratchblocks2 | this cake

#6302 2012-11-25 15:06:44

nXIII
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

nXIII wrote:

I'm making a native Mac OS X binding for Snap!, called Sn (get it?).

No, sorry.  You think the Mac is made of tin? You think it doesn't have a heart?  (Now, if "Sn" stood for "courage," then I'd get it.)

The mac application bundle extension is .app, so when you add that to the name you get "Sn.app".

But, geez, how long have you been working on this?  And when did you become a Mac person?

I've always thought OS X was a better platform (even when I only had a Windows machine!), but I've only been working on this for a few days.

It allows you to run Snap! offline in chromeless windows,

That's great!  We definitely need this.  I hope this part can be made platform-independent.  What are you doing for Canvas support?

I'm just using a Cocoa Webview for the whole application.

– Native context menus
– Native menubar integration
– Native project notes editor

Ooh, you're going to have a fight with Jens about these.  I guess every free software application ends up having this conversation:  Should it look uniform across platforms, or should it look like every other application on platform P?  I confess that I use Aquamacs on my Mac, so I guess I'm on your side.

Integrating with the platform is always more important than providing an application that violates platform guidelines just for the sake of looking identical on all platforms. Web sites don't need to look exactly the same in every browser and applications don't need to look exactly the same on every platform.

– Autosave
– Versions

Please please please do this in a way that's easy to port across platforms, including Jens' cloud platform.  That is, keep the OS-specific code separate from the potentially-cross-platform parts.

That's not really possible. Autosave and versions are features of NSDocument, part of OS X.

And, sorry if this is obvious, but don't autosave to the user's chosen project name; use some Emacs-like convention (maybe exactly the Emacs convention?  That'd help directory managers know how to display the backups) for the naming.

All OS X apps autosave documents in place, but this is intentional and Versions lets users revert to previous explicitly or automatically saved versions.

– Document windows
– UTI declarations & document icons

I don't understand those.

Document windows — native windows for each document
UTI declarations — Uniform Type Identifier declarations for Snap!/BYOB3 projects
Document icons — icons for Snap!/BYOB3 projects in the Finder

It's still in its early stages of development, and is missing a couple of key features (e.g. undo/redo and preferences)

Hey!  No reason on earth for those to be platform-dependent.  Make sure Jens gets this code separated out.

Undo/redo is definitely going to be a JS (cross-platform) manager with which the Objective-C app can sync, but preferences just means I'm going to implement a native preference window rather than the current menu-based one.

Last edited by nXIII (2012-11-25 16:59:24)

nXIII

#6303 2012-11-25 16:40:14

roijac
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

– Native context menus

Ooh, you're going to have a fight with Jens about these.  I guess every free software application ends up having this conversation:  Should it look uniform across platforms, or should it look like every other application on platform P?  I confess that I use Aquamacs on my Mac, so I guess I'm on your side.

implementing your own menubar is the biggest mistake an open-source program can do. look what happens with Unity & LibreOffice, for example, not talking about all the weird bugs you have with the windows decorations when you drag tabs in chrome  yikes

#6304 2012-11-25 16:43:20

nXIII
Community Moderator

roijac wrote:

bharvey wrote:

– Native context menus

implementing your own menubar is the biggest mistake an open-source program can do. look what happens with Unity & LibreOffice, for example, not talking about all the weird bugs you have with the windows decorations when you drag tabs in chrome  yikes

Implementing your own anything is a big mistake when it already exists in the platform.

nXIII

#6305 2012-11-25 19:10:43

shadow_7283
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

Implementing your own anything is a big mistake when it already exists in the platform.

I don't think many projects implement their own GUI effectively, but one which DOES is Blender. The interface is so much more effective when it's platform-independent. I think Snap! has the ability to do the same.

Last edited by shadow_7283 (2012-11-25 19:11:03)

#6306 2012-11-25 19:56:13

nXIII
Community Moderator

shadow_7283 wrote:

nXIII wrote:

I don't think many projects implement their own GUI effectively, but one which DOES is Blender. The interface is so much more effective when it's platform-independent. I think Snap! has the ability to do the same.

I'm not talking about the quality of particular reimplementations of GUIs. I'm saying that if an application tries to make a platform fit its expectations rather than fitting the expectations of the platform, it's doing something wrong.

nXIII

#6307 2012-11-25 20:21:43

bharvey
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

Umm.  This sounds like an overgeneralization to me.  What if the native whatever just isn't very good?  Like, say, what if it's a text editor that doesn't know about the proper indentation of your favorite programming language?  What if it's the MacOS support for the Airport Express that only lets it play sounds coming from iTunes?  What if it doesn't have both scroll arrows at both ends of scroll bars?  What if it doesn't give you a recursive submenu of panes under the System Preferences apple menu item?  I could go on forever.  What if the default-selected button is Don't Replace instead of Replace?  What if the OS doesn't provide keyboard shortcuts for the buttons in dialog boxes?  And, what if the company that provides the OS decides they want to make your computer behave like a d*** iPad and so you're stuck running an older version of the OS that maybe doesn't support whatever new feature you're using?

EDIT:  And why do I get "no such domain" when I click on the last button in your sig?

Last edited by bharvey (2012-11-25 20:23:56)

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig5.png

#6308 2012-11-25 20:34:26

Hardmath123
Scratcher

The last link in his sig is a .co.cc domain which are down.  hmm

I can help make a quick look plugin, I've done those before.  smile

Hardmaths-MacBook-Pro:~ Hardmath$ sudo make $(whoami) a sandwich

#6309 2012-11-25 20:53:31

nXIII
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

nXIII wrote:

Umm.  This sounds like an overgeneralization to me.  What if the native whatever just isn't very good?

It very rarely is (it's usually just different than whatever Microsoft decided was the best), and in most cases you'd be enhancing the functionality rather than reimplementing it.

What if it doesn't have both scroll arrows at both ends of scroll bars?

What if it doesn't need to?

What if it doesn't give you a recursive submenu of panes under the System Preferences apple menu item?  I could go on forever.  What if the default-selected button is Don't Replace instead of Replace?  What if the OS doesn't provide keyboard shortcuts for the buttons in dialog boxes?  And, what if the company that provides the OS decides they want to make your computer behave like a d*** iPad and so you're stuck running an older version of the OS that maybe doesn't support whatever new feature you're using?

These are all conscious decisions about the platform by which third-party software should abide.

EDIT:  And why do I get "no such domain" when I click on the last button in your sig?

Yeah, co.cc is down.

Last edited by nXIII (2012-11-25 20:58:45)

nXIII

#6310 2012-11-25 23:14:27

MathWizz
Scratcher

shadow_7283 wrote:

bharvey wrote:

The Scratch Team went with Flash because of a handful of things HTML5 doesn't quite do yet, most notably playing MIDI music and providing access to the computer's camera.

The strange thing to me is that most people don't realize JavaScript CAN do those things. MIDI and Webcam (well technically, this plugin utilizes Flash, but...). People have invested a lot into JavaScript, and its capabilities are equal to that of nearly every programming language I know.

Jens, I know you like writing things from scratch, but those are two very well documented plugins that do all of the dirty work for you.  tongue

EDIT: Minor usability suggestion for Snap! After an initial click on a menu button (like the settings gear), a second click on the button should close it.

Flash isn't even required... http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/ … dia/intro/ Admittedly it's not widely supported yet, but it will be by the time Scratch 2.0 is ready to be released.  tongue

http://block.site90.net/scratch.mit/text.php?size=30&text=%20A%20signature!&color=333333

#6311 2012-11-26 00:16:13

bharvey
Scratcher

MathWizz wrote:

Flash isn't even required... http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/ … dia/intro/ Admittedly it's not widely supported yet, but it will be by the time Scratch 2.0 is ready to be released.  tongue

Yes, that's been our strategy in general: do the right HTML5 thing and wait for the browsers to catch up.  smile

#6312 2012-11-26 00:29:34

bharvey
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

These are all conscious decisions about the platform by which third-party software should abide.

My point was that there's a thriving third-party software market providing the missing capabilities.  I'm a customer of Fruit Menu, Airfoil, Remote Buddy, SteerMouse, TinkerTool, Missing Sync, not to mention all the Firefox plugins that change its UI.  And I wish I could get the MacOS <= 9 extensions Replace! and YesNoCancel for MacOS X.

Bear in mind that Apple (and I love their stuff, I don't mean this as an insult) designed their systems for idiots, not for hackers.

But I'm just disagreeing with your overgeneralization.  Snap! is for regular people, not for the people who mod their OS, so I'm more sympathetic with your argument that we should design for the environment that people know.

But, more and more, that means the browser environment, not the OS environment.  It's why I use Firefox, not Safari, on my Mac.  So there's room for an interesting conversation on whether people who run Snap! both online and offline will be well served if one of those Snap!s looks like Mac software and the other, necessarily, doesn't.  (E.g., web pages don't have access to the MacOS menu bar.)

#6313 2012-11-26 06:28:35

Jens
Scratcher

Platforms are like free lunches, making you owe favors.

Scratch is the single most awesome piece of Software I've seen, with the possible exception of Smalltalk. Scratch is remarkably popular, too. Scratch doesn't pop up OS-native menus, doesn't sport OS-native buttons, text elements, menu bars, file dialogs. Maybe Scratch is simply exceptional despite all of this. Or maybe mustering the courage to create your own platform sometimes does receive favorable user recognition.

Many commercial games I've seen use their own widgets, aren't "platform integrated", do not look and feel like MS-Excel, and are still extremely successful. Are they all making big mistakes?

I don't know.

The discussion whether it's better to be a platform team player or to *be* your own platform has been raging in the Smalltalk community forever. One of the motivations for creating Smalltalk in the first place was to get rid of the OS and make everything accessible in the programming language and its graphical IDE. That's why Smalltalk used to have its own windows, dialog boxes, menus and buttons. Historically, of course, the reason for having its own widgets was that Smalltalk was the first GUI anyway.

There are upshots and downsides to both ways.

Since Snap! is a web page and as such heavily sandboxed, we're not ever going to pretend that we're the OS, so we might as well use "native" platform stuff and not commit the "big mistake" of reinventing the wheel, right?

I don't know.

If the wheel had not been reinvented over and over again we'd still be riding Ox carts.

German author Cornelia Funke recently pointed out that readers of fantasy novels tend to be more politically active, because they are accustomed to comparing different worlds instead of accepting a single one.

Snap! is no silver bullet. It is just a world in which kids and grown-ups can safely explore aspects of computing. There are other worlds. Why don't you build one yourself!

Everything doesn't have to look like everything else.

Last edited by Jens (2012-11-26 06:37:33)

Jens Mönig

#6314 2012-11-26 06:37:20

TRocket
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

[...]

+1 I think that, especially with scratch, where it brings in a completely new block UI it makes more sense to use the, more similer feeling squeak GUI.

Last edited by TRocket (2012-11-26 06:37:39)

http://i.imgur.com/1QqnHxQ.png

#6315 2012-11-26 07:33:32

roijac
Scratcher

TRocket wrote:

Jens wrote:

[...]

+1 I think that, especially with scratch, where it brings in a completely new block UI it makes more sense to use the, more similer feeling squeak GUI.

but the LAG -.-

#6316 2012-11-26 07:43:22

Jens
Scratcher

So? Scratch lags and you're all here :-)
Alan Kay once said about the speed of Smalltalk: "It's still fast enough for our neurons"

Jens Mönig

#6317 2012-11-26 12:53:17

nXIII
Community Moderator

http://i45.tinypic.com/16bzuc5.jpg
This is a button. It is keyboard-accessible, shows a focus ring, and responds to mouse input in exactly the way users expect.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2qd1hn5.jpg
This is also a button. It is completely keyboard-inaccessible, doesn't have a focus ring, and responds to mouse input incorrectly.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2nr8sl.jpg
This is a textbox. It is extensively keyboard accessible, has a focus ring, responds to mouse input correctly, and supports a huge number of input modes and sources. In addition, it offers undo/redo, clipboard access, spelling and grammar, automatic correction, text substitution, text transformations, text-to-speech, and sharing.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2unysz7.jpg
This is also a textbox. It is barely keyboard accessible, has no focus indicator, responds to mouse input incorrectly, and supports only a single input mode from a single input source. It doesn't support the clipboard, undo/redo, spelling and grammar, text-to-speech, or any of the others.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ynqw79.jpg
This is a block. This is a perfect example of an appropriate, well-implemented custom control. This block serves a purpose unique from any native control and allows users to manipulate scripts easily and intuitively.

Custom controls can be very useful if they serve a unique purpose and are well-implemented. However, if they are simply reimplementations of existing controls, users expect them to offer them all the features they get from their native counterparts. Unless they do this well on every platform, the application would be better off with native controls.

nXIII

#6318 2012-11-26 13:42:03

bharvey
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

In addition, it offers undo/redo, clipboard access, spelling and grammar, automatic correction, text substitution, text transformations, text-to-speech, and sharing.

+1 on the clipboard point -- I had that problem just this morning trying to copy some piece of smalltalk out of an email from Jens into a Smalltalk inspector box.  sad

And, Jens, if you used native controls, would that make the virtual keyboard work on my Nexus 7?

But I have another question for both of you:  How much of an upheaval to the Morphic underpinning of Snap! is it to use native controls?  Is this something for which there could be a checkbox in Preferences to make everyone happy?

#6319 2012-11-26 13:49:03

nXIII
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

How much of an upheaval to the Morphic underpinning of Snap! is it to use native controls?  Is this something for which there could be a checkbox in Preferences to make everyone happy?

You could probably do it just by having DOM elements follow the controls around and match their size; the preference would then just recurse through all the morphs and toggle DOM/morphic mode for everything that implemented it.

nXIII

#6320 2012-11-26 13:52:47

bharvey
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

preferences just means I'm going to implement a native preference window rather than the current menu-based one.

Don't forget that some of the check boxes in the Edit menu are project-specific (e.g. Thread Safe Scripts) rather than user-specific.

But I suppose they could still be in the same Preferences window.

#6321 2012-11-26 14:01:09

nXIII
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

nXIII wrote:

preferences just means I'm going to implement a native preference window rather than the current menu-based one.

Don't forget that some of the check boxes in the Edit menu are project-specific (e.g. Thread Safe Scripts) rather than user-specific.

But I suppose they could still be in the same Preferences window.

Oh, that's a good point. I'll probably do something like TextEdit (separate Document Properties and Preferences):

http://i48.tinypic.com/mkkttt.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/1on285.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/15ulgz.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/1hr2o.jpg

Last edited by nXIII (2012-11-26 14:02:50)

nXIII

#6322 2012-11-26 14:45:36

blob8108
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

bharvey wrote:

How much of an upheaval to the Morphic underpinning of Snap! is it to use native controls?  Is this something for which there could be a checkbox in Preferences to make everyone happy?

You could probably do it just by having DOM elements follow the controls around and match their size; the preference would then just recurse through all the morphs and toggle DOM/morphic mode for everything that implemented it.

I thought you'd already written something that did something similar? Am I mistaken?

#6323 2012-11-26 15:03:36

Jens
Scratcher

the upheaval would be with me.

Morphic isn't just a JavaScript library, it's Snap!'s kernel.

There are APIs for everything in HTML5, including the clipboard, files, audio, webcam, microphone, etc. etc. but they are in various states of development. I'm fine with using these APIs as they mature and become available. It's what using the web is all about.

So, someone enlightens us that no, web pages don't have to look the same in every browser. But I do want Snap! to really look the exact same everywhere.

There are also DOM elements for lots of things, with native implementations and lots of goodies (e.g. text-to-speech). And also with grave downsides. Just ask those who are really using them to build systems and not just shiny web pages. Talk about kludges like inline-SVGs to draw lines, about fiddling with CSS for all kinds of effects, talk about how different browsers interpret these things differently. Try using native text boxes in a block and then make a sprite "say" that block, or take a picture of it, scale that down to a thumbnail, so it can be used as menu item. Try making a native text element display placeholders for blanks. Yeah, you'll succeed, but that's not even starting with building a system, let alone maintaining it and taking it further.

So, some buttons in Snap! don't always have keyboard control because keyboard input is directed to somewhere else, e.g. the stage! Your Nexus 7's virtual keyboard isn't showing despite the fact that I [i]am already using native text widgets[i] for text entry capturing! Claiming that widgets respond to mouse input "incorrectly" just because it differs from what your OS does disappoints me.

Yes, technically you can mix Morphic with native controls.

The Lively Kernel 2 is a whole Morphic system made with native DOM elements. Try understanding any part of it, try creating your own world in it. Something easy like, say, a kid's programming language. Check out their forums. People have been converting to Morphic.js because it's a system that works and can be understood in a weekend.

I am keeping Snap! small, snazzy and so easy to understand, that even hobbyist kids are able to play with its source. If everybody's so excited about native platforms, what on earth are they still doing here? Scratch never was and for sure won't be "native" anytime soon!

If you start polluting Snap! with the DOM, I'm out.

Jens Mönig

#6324 2012-11-26 15:26:44

blob8108
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

I am keeping Snap! small, snazzy and so easy to understand, that even hobbyist kids are able to play with its source. If everybody's so excited about native platforms, what on earth are they still doing here? Scratch never was and for sure won't be "native" anytime soon!

Can I agree with this last point? The Snap! source is incredibly well documented. It took only a couple of hours to hack that list watcher thing. (I will finish that, btw...)  smile

#6325 2012-11-26 15:30:51

bharvey
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

Your Nexus 7's virtual keyboard isn't showing despite the fact that I am already using native text widgets for text entry capturing!

Ah.  Okay, I've never really understood this issue -- it just totally bums me out that I got this tablet and can't use it!  But if Nathan's go-native plan isn't going to fix it, then I agree that we have enough trouble trying to interface smoothly with four-plus browsers, never mind that times three-plus operating systems.

I may still find nXIII's plan useful for airplane mode on my Mac, though.  Especially if it really dynamically stays up to date with mainline Snap! updates.  Although I'd like "work offline" working smoothly even better.  (Want to do that for us, n?)

Board footer