This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#3251 2011-05-09 16:59:30

shadow_7283
Scratcher

Re: BYOB 3 - Discussion Thread

Jens wrote:

bharvey wrote:

I suppose if we develop a phone-screen-friendly version, that might get a major version number, although Jens is having so much fun with Morphic in his iPhone browser that it might be faster than that.

Naw, we're going to support phones with Snap 4.0 right away (otherwise what's the point in switching to JavaScript?). Here's a first taste of how this might look and feel:

BYOB v9.0  wink

Jens, you mad genius....  tongue

#3252 2011-05-09 20:10:22

bharvey
Scratcher

rdococ wrote:

Actually, I was refering to if we could create blocks the shape of [the script], not having those inputs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not having those inputs."  You mean, you want a C-shaped block that doesn't include the "Input names" option?  Because "the shape of [the script] is otherwise just a plain C-shaped block.  You can make a block that has one C-shaped input and in its definition, put the variable oval from the prototype into a THE SCRIPT block.  If that's not what you mean, you'll have to draw me a picture or something.

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig5.png

#3253 2011-05-10 07:03:10

legomany3448
Scratcher

I am trying to copy the Elements editor into Scratch, and I've just finished copying all of the codes.  But I have no idea of how to open them!  Where would I find the right-button menu for a block while searchin in the browser.  (I've figured out how to hack BYOB easily.   smile  )

Last edited by legomany3448 (2011-05-10 07:03:26)

¿uʍop-ǝpısdn pɐǝɹ noʎ uɐɔ
Click here to get EPIC custom blocks on Scratch!

#3254 2011-05-10 07:10:47

rdococ
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

rdococ wrote:

Actually, I was refering to if we could create blocks the shape of [the script], not having those inputs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "not having those inputs."  You mean, you want a C-shaped block that doesn't include the "Input names" option?  Because "the shape of [the script] is otherwise just a plain C-shaped block.  You can make a block that has one C-shaped input and in its definition, put the variable oval from the prototype into a THE SCRIPT block.  If that's not what you mean, you'll have to draw me a picture or something.

That THE SCRIPT block has no bumps or holes to let it snap, I think you should give us a way to build a block the exact shape and behaviour as the block THE SCRIPT. The reason is that a C-shaped input in a reporter has buggy graphics, and with the shape of THE SCRIPT be able to be chosen, that graphic bug could have a solution for our custom blocks too.
EDIT: By behaviour I mean how it reports, does it report or do something, and stuff like of a THE SCRIPT-shaped block that reports "nil" expect what it reports and what it does and it having no inputs, every block type should allow every input availible from BYOB right now.

Last edited by rdococ (2011-05-10 07:12:30)

#3255 2011-05-10 07:17:58

rdlatimer
Scratcher

Changing the text color of a character in a string:

I'm going through the Berkeley online course with BYOB, the section on making a gameboard with 'B's. 
How do I change the text color of a character in a string?
In the example it looks like the color can be changed for each character - one of the B's is black, the others are white.

#3256 2011-05-10 10:50:11

bharvey
Scratcher

rdococ wrote:

The reason is that a C-shaped input in a reporter has buggy graphics, and with the shape of THE SCRIPT be able to be chosen, that graphic bug could have a solution for our custom blocks too.

Oh, I see, it's the rounded ends of custom reporters that you don't like.  I never noticed that THE SCRIPT wasn't like custom reporters.  Arguably it's THE SCRIPT that's wrong, since primitive reporters do have rounded ends.

I don't rhink it's a good idea to support two different shapes for custom reporters; that would confuse people trying to figure out the semantic difference between them when there isn't any.  But maybe all custom reporters should look like THE SCRIPT.  I admit I don't like the wasted space when I nest custom reporter calls and the blocks get fatter and fatter as they get taller.

My proposed solution is to change both THE SCRIPT and custom blocks  to the same new shape: rounded ends, but with the radius of curvature reduced as the block gets taller, so that the ends stick out by a constant amount, namely the same as a primitive (non C clotted) reporter block.

#3257 2011-05-10 10:52:43

bharvey
Scratcher

rdlatimer wrote:

How do I change the text color of a character in a string?

Put the character in a sprite's costume, change the sprite's color effect, then stamp it.

#3258 2011-05-10 12:31:10

scimonster
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

rdococ wrote:

The reason is that a C-shaped input in a reporter has buggy graphics, and with the shape of THE SCRIPT be able to be chosen, that graphic bug could have a solution for our custom blocks too.

Oh, I see, it's the rounded ends of custom reporters that you don't like.  I never noticed that THE SCRIPT wasn't like custom reporters.  Arguably it's THE SCRIPT that's wrong, since primitive reporters do have rounded ends.

I don't rhink it's a good idea to support two different shapes for custom reporters; that would confuse people trying to figure out the semantic difference between them when there isn't any.  But maybe all custom reporters should look like THE SCRIPT.  I admit I don't like the wasted space when I nest custom reporter calls and the blocks get fatter and fatter as they get taller.

My proposed solution is to change both THE SCRIPT and custom blocks  to the same new shape: rounded ends, but with the radius of curvature reduced as the block gets taller, so that the ends stick out by a constant amount, namely the same as a primitive (non C clotted) reporter block.

THE SCRIPT is like a block reporter; the original reporter was only made for numbers. I'd recommend one for numbers, one for text, and one for blocks.

#3259 2011-05-10 13:06:10

bharvey
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

THE SCRIPT is like a block reporter; the original reporter was only made for numbers. I'd recommend one for numbers, one for text, and one for blocks.

Rounded ends go with rounded input slots?  That's an interesting idea, but in fact the Scratch reporter blocks for text (JOIN etc.) are rounded too.  We've been trying to avoid gratuitous incompatibilities with Scratch.

I wouldn't mind if blocks that report blocks or scripts had grey borders, though!  smile

#3260 2011-05-10 13:22:43

scimonster
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

scimonster wrote:

Rounded ends go with rounded input slots?  That's an interesting idea, but in fact the Scratch reporter blocks for text (JOIN etc.) are rounded too.  We've been trying to avoid gratuitous incompatibilities with Scratch.

I wouldn't mind if blocks that report blocks or scripts had grey borders, though!  smile

I know, but that's because it originally was only numbers. I might even suggest this for Scratch 2.0!
EDIT: Make a Text Reporter Block! :D

Last edited by scimonster (2011-05-10 13:30:01)

#3261 2011-05-10 18:25:59

bharvey
Scratcher

scimonster wrote:

I might even suggest this for Scratch 2.0!

Well if you talk them into it, then try us again!  tongue

P.S.  I just now figured out that the difference in shape between THE SCRIPT and other reporters is the reason why the left corners of THE SCRIPT stick out when you do

[[THE SCRIPT <...>] OF <sprite23>]

We should definitely fix that!

Last edited by bharvey (2011-05-10 19:28:30)

#3262 2011-05-11 02:54:44

floppy_gunk
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

scimonster wrote:

I might even suggest this for Scratch 2.0!

Well if you talk them into it, then try us again!  tongue

P.S.  I just now figured out that the difference in shape between THE SCRIPT and other reporters is the reason why the left corners of THE SCRIPT stick out when you do

[[THE SCRIPT <...>] OF <sprite23>]

We should definitely fix that!

The reporter blocks with C inputs look huge and take up a lot of space. In fact, I'd prefer it if reporters with C inputs look like the [THE SCRIPT []] blocks.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/1917/2856lg.jpg Get it now!  smile

#3263 2011-05-11 09:46:04

bharvey
Scratcher

floppy_gunk wrote:

The reporter blocks with C inputs look huge and take up a lot of space. In fact, I'd prefer it if reporters with C inputs look like the [THE SCRIPT []] blocks.

Yeah, especially when you nest them.  I'd prefer to compromise on a shape that's just slightly rounded at the ends.

#3264 2011-05-11 14:38:56

shadow_7283
Scratcher

Wow. You've actually (sort of) reached the point where you can talk about aesthetics!  big_smile
That's great!

One thing that bothers me is the color scheme. The gray background should be lightened, IMHO.  smile

#3265 2011-05-11 21:14:12

bharvey
Scratcher

shadow_7283 wrote:

Wow. You've actually (sort of) reached the point where you can talk about aesthetics!

Oh, if only you knew how many hours we spent going back and forth on the exact colors for zebra coloring, the precise wording and punctuation of the "Input names" option in THE BLOCK and THE SCRIPT, etc.!

One thing that bothers me is the color scheme. The gray background should be lightened, IMHO.  smile

Jens's department.  smile

#3266 2011-05-12 03:51:11

Jens
Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

Jens's department.  smile

Are you talking about the script pane's background or about the grey border around reified blocks? I don't much like the grey border around lambdafied blocks either, but so far we haven't come up with a better visualization of "quoting" something or turning a block into a "thing". Personally, I would like to "enchant" blocks and somehow indicate that "enchanted" blocks are "gems" with encapsulated super powers. Any ideas?

Last edited by Jens (2011-05-12 03:51:39)

Jens Mönig

#3267 2011-05-12 18:42:59

bharvey
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

I don't much like the grey border around lambdafied blocks either, but so far we haven't come up with a better visualization of "quoting" something or turning a block into a "thing".

I agree that that seems to be one of the less intuitive aspects of the language on the input side, but everyone understands it instantly on output (e.g., looking at a list of blocks), and I think it's important to have the same notation for input and output -- although I can't prove it.  It may be in the end that we just stay with THE BLOCK and THE SCRIPT for input, and grey border for output.

#3268 2011-05-12 22:06:27

shadow_7283
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

Are you talking about the script pane's background or about the grey border around reified blocks?

Both.  smile
I have no idea how I'd better represent the grey borders... I'll think on it though.

#3269 2011-05-14 07:20:11

Taneb
Scratcher

Found an error. It's possible to remove the "the script" and the "the block" blocks off of the pallete by right-clicking them and saying delete. They re-appear when you leave and re-enter the operators category, though

Last edited by Taneb (2011-05-14 07:21:02)

#3270 2011-05-14 08:50:00

bharvey
Scratcher

Taneb wrote:

Found an error. It's possible to remove the "the script" and the "the block" blocks off of the pallete by right-clicking them and saying delete. They re-appear when you leave and re-enter the operators category, though

Thanks!  I think this one will just automatically be fixed in the rewrite this summer.  smile

#3271 2011-05-14 22:04:01

knubee
New Scratcher

It would be nice if Scratch allowed students to create very simple versions of Eliza. After looking through the various documentation, there does not seem to be a way in "standard" Scratch to convert text input (typed by the user) into a separated list.

Does BYOB support this in some way? I am thinking of something quite minimal which assumes that spaces are separators for assigning typed words as separate list elements. (In Processing, for example, assigning a text string to an array will accomplish this.)

#3272 2011-05-14 23:51:04

bharvey
Scratcher

knubee wrote:

there does not seem to be a way in "standard" Scratch to convert text input (typed by the user) into a separated list.

Does BYOB support this in some way? I am thinking of something quite minimal which assumes that spaces are separators for assigning typed words as separate list elements.

In the tool package (tools.ypr or ToolSprite.ysp in the BYOB folder) there's a block SENTENCE->LIST that does what you want.

#3273 2011-05-15 19:09:34

knubee
New Scratcher

bharvey wrote:

In the tool package (tools.ypr or ToolSprite.ysp in the BYOB folder) there's a block SENTENCE->LIST that does what you want.

Perfect, thanks!

#3274 2011-05-15 19:15:14

spud2451
Scratcher

i have a question... how do you get into the byob browser?

http://www.xenopages.comze.com/upload/rippleos.gif

#3275 2011-05-16 00:32:08

bharvey
Scratcher

spud2451 wrote:

i have a question... how do you get into the byob browser?

You mean the Smalltalk browser?  In the BYOB folder is something called BYOB Development.app or .bat depending on your OS.  Double-click it.  Then when BYOB starts, shift-click the Edit menu.

Board footer