This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2010-03-30 01:32:41

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Interested in the future of Scratch? We need your help!

The Scratch Team is creating a short video about our plans for Scratch 2.0, and we want to include some ideas from the Scratch community.

Here are some of the things we're considering for Scratch 2.0:

1. Sharing Scratch projects on mobile phones, tablets, and other new platforms.

2. Integrating Scratch with social media, so you can program projects to interact with Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and other web sites.

3. Providing new features to make it easier for groups and companies to collaborate on projects.

4. Allowing you to program, remix, and share projects directly within a web browser, without any downloading or uploading.

Here's what we like YOU to do:

Create a project describing why you're interested in Scratch 2.0 and how you would use the new features. Then, share your project in the Scratch 2.0 Ideas gallery.

We strongly encourage you to include a voice-over in your project. When you upload your project, uncheck the "Compress sounds and images" box, so we get the best quality.

We will include parts of some of your Scratch projects within our Scratch 2.0 video.

We're creating this video as part of the MacArthur Digital Media and Learning competition, where our Scratch & Share proposal has been selected as a finalist.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#2 2010-03-30 01:38:39

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Re: Interested in the future of Scratch? We need your help!

Awesome!  big_smile

Hmmm... I might make a project for your gallery soon.  wink

I can't wait for your video!  smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#3 2010-03-30 01:38:46

Chrischb
Scratcher

Ooh! You could put a notice on the front page...  hmm

EDIT: It's featured now.  smile

Last edited by Chrischb (2010-03-30 02:18:59)

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#4 2010-03-30 07:26:02

Jazman111
Scratcher

I'll make a project when I get home  smile
(at school.  hmm )

http://i41.tinypic.com/149nj3t.jpghttp://www.danasoft.com/sig/HelloWorld121895.jpg
Either at school or home, Scratch.mit.edu isn't blocked.

#5 2010-03-30 08:33:11

rocket101
Scratcher

I will add something!

#6 2010-03-30 10:48:55

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Chrischb wrote:

Ooh! You could put a notice on the front page...  hmm

EDIT: It's featured now.  smile

thanks for the idea  smile

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#7 2010-03-30 11:10:11

markyparky56
Scratcher

Ill make one with the mock-ups i made for the collaboration feature.

http://j.mp/jgVnTq
Check out my game engine development site: NewDawn I'm a Level 171 Scratcher.I am http://bit.ly/nkvLNT

#8 2010-03-30 11:16:45

coolperson
Scratcher

Awesome! I'll get to it once I find my microphone, put new batteries in it, and eat breakfast!

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#9 2010-03-30 12:14:49

LS97
Scratcher

i already emailed my ideas to the scratch team, but here's what new features would really help in 2.0 apart from the stuff listed above:
- <online?> block to check if the viewer is watching it online or in Squeak (it makes a difference!)
- enabled mesh by default
- somehow detect if additional blocks are inserted in the project and upload part of the scratch image (i have a couple of edits to the imag so it would be useful)
-add more characters to the key options (control, alt, backspace, period, comma, etc)
- add a strech command like the size one but streches the X or the Y
-show/hide lists
- a general 'any key pressed?' block
- finally add the possibility to put variables in list places where you cant.

that's a lot of stuff! i'm giving you the ideas, you do what you want with them. it shouldn't take much to do stuff like add show/hide lists, or the key stuff, just check out a thread called 'the elusive show/hide list blocks' and at some point there's a link to a modified image: it's got most of the stuff!

#10 2010-03-30 12:23:25

scratchman10000
Scratcher

Well what scratch really needs is some easy way of using memory allocating pointers, as well as user defined functions. Not sure how easy pointers would be for users though.

#11 2010-03-30 12:24:43

AnonymousTom
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

The Scratch Team is creating a short video about our plans for Scratch 2.0, and we want to include some ideas from the Scratch community.

2. Integrating Scratch with social media, so you can program projects to interact with Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and other web sites.

3. Providing new features to make it easier for groups and companies to collaborate on projects.

4. Allowing you to program, remix, and share projects directly within a web browser, without any downloading or uploading.

Create a project describing why you're interested in Scratch 2.0 and how you would use the new features. Then, share your project in the Scratch 2.0 Ideas gallery.

We strongly encourage you to include a voice-over in your project. When you upload your project, uncheck the "Compress sounds and images" box, so we get the best quality.

We will include parts of some of your Scratch projects within our Scratch 2.0 video.

We're creating this video as part of the MacArthur Digital Media and Learning competition, where our Scratch & Share proposal has been selected as a finalist.

What if you don't agree with a certain idea? Can you give your testimonial on that or not.

#12 2010-03-30 13:04:28

markyparky56
Scratcher

AnonymousTom wrote:

andresmh wrote:

What if you don't agree with a certain idea? Can you give your testimonial on that or not.

What are you trying to say, if you dont want something and you want them to know about it?

Check out my game engine development site: NewDawn I'm a Level 171 Scratcher.I am http://bit.ly/nkvLNT

#13 2010-03-30 13:13:45

AnonymousTom
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

AnonymousTom wrote:

andresmh wrote:

What are you trying to say, if you dont want something and you want them to know about it?

I was asking if I can make a project saying why a certain feature shouldn't be implemented. I was just asking to make sure that this is fine with them, so no incidents occur.

#14 2010-03-30 13:15:33

markyparky56
Scratcher

AnonymousTom wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

AnonymousTom wrote:

I was asking if I can make a project saying why a certain feature shouldn't be implemented. I was just asking to make sure that this is fine with them, so no incidents occur.

What feature do you have in mind? I personaly think that the more features, within reason, should be added.

#15 2010-03-30 13:24:49

AnonymousTom
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

AnonymousTom wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

What feature do you have in mind? I personaly think that the more features, within reason, should be added.

I think "Implementing scratch with social networking sites (Youtube, Facebook, Ect.)" should not be implemented as a feature. I just think that first of all too many moderators would have to be hired to be successfully "safe" in these clashes of very different types of communities. It also reminds me of the rule that there is to be no chatrooms because, adding facebook would really destroy the purpose of scratch. Soon enough (If this was already added) scratch would just become a place to make those sites more popular. What do you think of this?

#16 2010-03-30 13:26:21

markyparky56
Scratcher

AnonymousTom wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

AnonymousTom wrote:

I think "Implementing scratch with social networking sites (Youtube, Facebook, Ect.)" should not be implemented as a feature. I just think that first of all too many moderators would have to be hired to be successfully "safe" in these clashes of very different types of communities. It also reminds me of the rule that there is to be no chatrooms because, adding facebook would really destroy the purpose of scratch. Soon enough (If this was already added) scratch would just become a place to make those sites more popular. What do you think of this?

I think when they said, implementing them, i think it was like reciving feeds, basicaly emaning that they can pick up what people have posted on facebook and twitter.

#17 2010-03-30 13:30:59

RHY3756547
Scratcher

One question - are multiple client project creation and high scores features that you guys are considering? If so I would probably make a project about that.

#18 2010-03-30 13:34:36

AnonymousTom
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

AnonymousTom wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

I think when they said, implementing them, i think it was like reciving feeds, basicaly emaning that they can pick up what people have posted on facebook and twitter.

Well, I hope that if that feature is implemented it will be the way you said. Even then people will still have to be off of scratch too use these features, so the scratch community would regularly lose a chunk of it's population.

#19 2010-03-30 13:36:22

AnonymousTom
Scratcher

RHY3756547 wrote:

One question - are multiple client project creation and high scores features that you guys are considering? If so I would probably make a project about that.

I wish they would be implemented. But with that there is a risk of chatroom projects. There is nothing wrong with what the scratch team intends though.

#20 2010-03-30 13:38:23

markyparky56
Scratcher

AnonymousTom wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

AnonymousTom wrote:

Well, I hope that if that feature is implemented it will be the way you said. Even then people will still have to be off of scratch too use these features, so the scratch community would regularly lose a chunk of it's population.

Not really...

#21 2010-03-30 13:42:16

AnonymousTom
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

AnonymousTom wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

Not really...

How not? I don't disagree with you I just want to know what you think. Another thing, are these features useful or in any way necessary? I think that's why we have comments underneath every single project that has been uploaded.

#22 2010-03-30 14:07:54

markyparky56
Scratcher

AnonymousTom wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

AnonymousTom wrote:

Not really...

How not? I don't disagree with you I just want to know what you think. Another thing, are these features useful or in any way necessary? I think that's why we have comments underneath every single project that has been uploaded.

We wouldn't lose a large chunk of the scratch members, and i dont think they are neccessary. We wouldn't lose them, because there is no reason for them to leave.

#23 2010-03-30 14:11:46

AnonymousTom
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

AnonymousTom wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

Not really...

We wouldn't lose a large chunk of the scratch members, and i dont think they are neccessary. We wouldn't lose them, because there is no reason for them to leave.

I meant that they could be sidetracked from scratch while they used the new feature.

Example:
I am on Facebook. Let me comment from Facebook about this scratch project. Let me get off of scratch so I could now talk to my friends and tell them what I am doing on Facebook.

And, what do you mean by "and i dont think they are neccessary..."?

#24 2010-03-30 14:13:32

markyparky56
Scratcher

AnonymousTom wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

AnonymousTom wrote:

I meant that they could be sidetracked from scratch while they used the new feature.

Example:
I am on Facebook. Let me comment from Facebook about this scratch project. Let me get off of scratch so I could now talk to my friends and tell them what I am doing on Facebook.

Not posting comments from facebook to the scratch projects! they ment getting feeds from facebook or twitter which can be used in the scratch project.

#25 2010-03-30 14:15:28

AnonymousTom
Scratcher

markyparky56 wrote:

AnonymousTom wrote:

markyparky56 wrote:

Example:

Not posting comments from facebook to the scratch projects! they ment getting feeds from facebook or twitter which can be used in the scratch project.

I know. I was talking about the feeds. And when I think about it, it sort  of sounds like propaganda.

Board footer