This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » FAQ
  •  » What license is Scratch available under?

#1 2007-05-20 23:05:16

natalie
Scratch Team

What license is Scratch available under?

For the latest license, see the license.txt in the Scratch folder, downloaded as part of Scratch.

The projects and support materials are available under the Creative Commons "Attribution - Share Alike" license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

And for an overview of all the Scratch licenses, see http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Scratch_License

#2 2007-05-23 08:55:42

Roberth
Scratcher

Re: What license is Scratch available under?

In terms of an attribution for references to this project, what would be the preferred attribution that you would like to see if this content is reused elsewhere?  aka "Massachusetts Institution of Technology - Lifelong Kindergarten Group", a reference to this website, both, or neither?

#3 2007-05-24 11:19:43

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

The reference should read like this:
MIT Media Lab - Lifelong Kindergarten Group
http://scratch.mit.edu

For referencing our documentation and other materials, I think addig somewhere that the content is under Creative Commons license would be nice too, so others know that they can copy the materials as long as they keep them under the same license.

You can take a look at how Wikipedia references photos that they have copied from flickr with Creative Commons license.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#4 2007-08-18 06:14:53

AlveKatt
Scratcher

How about graphics and audio created outside Scratch? Do they automatically become free just because you added them to your project?

What if you want to use some other artists graphics or music in your projekt, and get written permission to do so but not to let others use it in their creations, does the Scratch license make it illegal for me to use those graphics/musics in a projekt or does it mean that the Scratch license becomes void?

#5 2007-08-18 11:19:17

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Because the scratch license permits essentially arbitrary copying, you can only legally include art or music that permits such copying.  If you have a single-user license for some art or music, it won't give you legal permission to distribute it in a scratch program.

(Given that no one is making money off of scratch, you probably won't get into any legal trouble for violating copyright using it, but theoretically, your could.)

#6 2007-08-18 12:54:36

AlveKatt
Scratcher

Ah, to clarify. If I get permission to use something in a scratch project and someone else uses it after they find my Scratch projekt I would be liable and not the one that took it from my Scratch projekt?

Does this apply to any Scratch projekt or only those that are uploaded?

Last edited by AlveKatt (2007-08-18 12:55:51)

#7 2007-08-18 14:42:58

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

If you want to be 100% certain that you are not breaking any copyright laws when you create a Scratch project, you should only use materials released under the Creative Commons ShareAlike License or a more permissive license such as works that are on Public Domain

Now, I am not a lawyer, but I think you can use anything you want on a Scratch project as long as it's for educational purposes and it doesn't take away profits from the copyright holder because it falls under what is known as Fair Use.

It would be great to hear from a copyright lawyer expert on this matters. My impression is that even law experts are still trying to figure out all these issues because the current laws are not changing as fast as technology.

Finally, if you create a  Scratch project and you don't upload it to the website I think you are free to do whatever you want.

I would like to think that the Scratch community could help in bring the laws up to date and make copyright law less obtrusive to creativity.

#8 2007-08-18 14:50:42

AlveKatt
Scratcher

Ah. I must admit I am a bit protective of the things I create. Not Scratch code, but stories and art. I don't mind if people take my code, but if they take my art and stories I tend to get a bit cranky... And I do want to put Stories and Art in my Scratch projekts. What if I zipped them, uploaded them to my ISP account and linked to them in the forum?

andresmh wrote:

Now, I am not a lawyer, but I think you can use anything you want on a Scratch project as long as it's for educational purposes and it doesn't take away profits from the owner of the copyright owner and other things that you probably wouldn't worry if you're sharing it on this site.

In that particular example I wouldn't care about copyright. I'm very much against slave labour.  lol

Last edited by AlveKatt (2007-08-19 05:47:45)

#9 2007-08-19 03:03:02

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

AlveKatt wrote:

Ah. I must admit I am a bit protective of the things I create. Not Scratch code, but stories and art. I don't mind if people take my code, but if they take my art and stories I tend to get a bit cranky... And I do want to put Stories and Art in my Scratch projekts. What if I zipped them, uploaded them to my ISP account and linked to them in the forum?

You can do that but it still does not guarantee that no one will ever copy your art and stories.

No matter how much you protect your digital creations, as soon as you share them on-line you run the risk of getting them copied. It seems to me that you should be thinking twice about sharing your creations on-lie if you are that worried.

Finally, could you edit your post and delete the "bad" word you used at the end. I don't particularly care that much about that but many people do, especially when it comes to websites for children.

Thanks!

#10 2007-08-19 14:25:42

AlveKatt
Scratcher

I sat waiting in the car, typing this nice reply on my laptop. Then my father finally came and started driving. The result being that when I pressed the submit button we were out of range of our wireless router, and the post was lost...

Anyway, the gist of it. I'm not paranoid about getting my stuff stolen. In fact I think you are a little rude for implying it, when someone has an opinion that contrdicts yours it doesn't necessarily mean that it is in the completely white or completely black end of the spectrum.

It's a matter of principle for me. I know I can't stop people from stealing my art on the net. But I want the guidelines to be clear that doing so is a bad thing. It isn't insane software patents or gene patents from hell we are talking about, it's art. An emotional and personal creation. It's not about multicorporations collecting every idea they can find. That it would be okay to take and subvert someone elses art without limitations is something I found, well, wicked.

No I can't stop it, and I accept that. But I want it to be clear that it isn't ok. I don't think you should adopt an viewpoint at the extreme end of the scale just because someone else is extreme at the other side. In your case I bet that you have a reaction to that whole movie and music industry debacle. They are doing deplorable things. But I can't see how putting yourself at the other extreme end is going to help that...

Finally, sorry for the bad word. Sometimes they just sneak in without you really noticing it. I'll try to be more carefull, but if you find I missed one again feel free to use your admin priviliges and edit it out.

#11 2007-08-19 22:21:00

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

You're right. Things are not black and white. I am so sorry if you thought I was rude! I hope you can share your art with a license that makes you feel comfortable. I love that you refer to your creations as "emotional and personal", that's exactly the kind of creations Scratch was intended to foster.

Right now the only license for Scratch projects shared on the website is Creative Commons Attributtion-ShareAlike which implies that anything can be copied as long as they give credit and share the copies with the same license. I know sites like Flickr let you choose the type of license. We didn't add that option to the Scratch website because we thought it might add a level of complexity that didn't seem necessary at the time. I will remember your concerns when thinking about licensing in the future.

Thanks a lot for sharing your concerns and I hope you continue using Scratch.

P.S. Thanks for editing your post. I know you didn't mean to offend anyone that's why I decided to wait for you to edit it.

#12 2007-08-21 04:29:44

AlveKatt
Scratcher

Wow! That's the most openminded reply I have gotten on an internet forum. It was a joy to read. It really feels like you understand my point of view.

I will continue to upload my projects. But since the topic has come up I have to mention that there will be less updates from me from here on, but that it has nothing to do with this. School starts today, which means I have a lot less time for scratching. Grades and stuff will have precedence.

Thank you!

#13 2008-05-11 21:12:52

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Can I distrubute Scratch on another website? (credit will be given. I read the liscense but it just seemed like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo)

Last edited by coolstuff (2008-05-11 21:13:28)

#14 2008-05-12 12:10:49

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

coolstuff: yes, as long as credit is given to the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at the MIT Media Lab with a link to http://scratch.mit.edu
Thanks!

In what website do you want to put Scratch by the way?

#15 2008-05-13 17:46:04

coolstuff
Community Moderator

andresmh wrote:

coolstuff: yes, as long as credit is given to the Lifelong Kindergarten Group at the MIT Media Lab with a link to http://scratch.mit.edu
Thanks!

In what website do you want to put Scratch by the way?

Well, I am making a website which has tutorials, tips, example projects, and other stuff about Scratch on it. I thought it'd be great for them to download Scratch straight from my website. It's not done yet, though. I just thought I'd ask in advance.

#16 2008-05-15 15:54:49

JSO
Community Moderator

I created a program called discScratchr:
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5468

I used Jens' image file, I included the license file.

But, the English used in the license is really too difficult for someone who's teaching himself English by posting and erading on a forum... 

What do i have to do to keep in line with the licese?
Am I allowed to include Scratch in my program?

What about the license projects are shared... Am i allowed to run them without showing the code? If not, does the "open projects folder" button fixes that problem?

I have so many questions...

Thanks, Joren

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2v1q0e9.jpg

#17 2008-05-16 03:55:06

Jens
Scratcher

Joren, as far as I understand it your (excellent, btw) discScratchR program produces a stand-alone executable which in turn calls a Squeak/Scratch vm with my Chirp.remix image and the presentation parameter. My Chirp image is based on the Scratch Source Code license, and - I believe and have been told - concurs with that license. You are free and certainly very welcome to use / redistribute / remix / bundle that Chirp image in your own application. Personally, I think you're doing a great job and your little menu-tool will be another wonderful addition helping to make Scratch itself yet more popular!

Jens Mönig

#18 2008-11-08 20:44:30

billkerr
Scratcher

I recently discovered, that the Scratch license has been changed from free to non commercial

The new license says:
"Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and accompanying documentation and media files (the "Software") to distribute the Software for non-commercial purposes, including the right to use, copy, publish, or distribute copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so ..."

The previous license said (wording obtained from the folder containing my old copy of Scratch):
"Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and accompanying documentation and media files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so ..."

The right to modify Scratch has been taken out.

It would appear to me that this will effect the distribution of Scratch on Sugar, the OLPC software, to Debian at least, perhaps other Linux distributions

Tom Hoffman wrote in his blog on October 14th:
"Since it is un-free software it cannot be put in Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, or any other free software distribution. Can it be shipped on the XO? This license significantly restricts the distribution of Scratch to children around the world, and to what benefit?"
http://www.tuttlesvc.org/2008/10/scratch-goes-un-free.html

I don't understand the Scratch team / MIT thinking on this issue and am concerned about this potential block in the distribution of Scratch (my current preferred visual programming teaching program).

What is behind the Scratch team thinking on this issue?

also see
http://scratch.wik.is/Scratch_License
http://scratch.wik.is/Support_Previous/Scratch_License/License

#19 2008-11-09 18:56:53

metasj
Scratcher

The source code license still provides for modification.  It is a pity that Scratch is now unfree by the standards of Debian and the FSF and the Free Content Definition.   As Bill points out, now it will not be able to be included in major linux distributions or in the freely-licensed OLPC activity-sets.

I am also curious about this shift, especially considering the CC-SA license used for all uploaded Scratch projects.

SJ

#20 2008-11-11 15:27:01

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

There has been some discussion in the Scratch Team about this. Overall our concern is to avoid forks. In general forks are good because bring diversity but since Scratch is a tool for beginners we're worried about having multiple versions out there. This happened a little bit with Scratch's predecessor LOGO, there were a lot of versions, some of them incompatible.

I am an Ubuntu user and I appreciate the choices I have for every element of the OS, but I do spend hours trying to figure out between apt-get and aptitute, Compiz vs no compiz, KDE vs Gnome vs Xfce, etc, etc. In some ways, Ubuntu has been able to succeed by providing something that works out of the box without forcing users to choose.

I think we are going to change the license of the binary distribution to allow for commercial use but we're uncertain about the source. What do you think about forking in Scratch?

#21 2008-11-14 20:49:57

billkerr
Scratcher

hi Andres,

I'd like to see the widest possible distribution of the current or up-to-date version of Scratch to the children of the world. This includes distribution through the OLPC and Sugar (which are no longer the same thing and Sugar is now being ported to various platforms). From my understanding this will not happen if you keep the new non commercial license since some Linux distributions will not include Scratch under that  license. Ironic voice: The Scratch team has forked Scratch by changing the license.

I don't follow why Scratch is special because it is for beginners.

It also seems to me that FLOSS has a far bigger and more influential footprint now than when Seymour Papert / LCSI went commercial with LogoWriter / MicroWorlds and you need to take that into consideration. Thanks, of course, to the hard work of FLOSS advocates.

Comparison with LOGO: Well, the versions of LOGO that are going out on OLPC / Sugar are Turtle Art (cut down, developed by Brian Silverman) and Brian Harvey's logo (powerful but non intuitive user interface last time I saw it). It's the Open Source versions which will go out to the poorest children of the world. In that sense it's very fortunate that there were forks in logo, that the commercial versions were not the only ones.

I love logo and used it for over a decade as a school teacher, mainly LogoWriter, then MicroWorlds, ie. commercial versions. Eventually I stopped using Logo because it wasn't free and another free  (but not open source) alternative came along (Game Maker) which had a great UI and a lot of appeal for many students (but not as good in terms of its deep educational philosophy). But now I have stopped using GameMaker, partly because it went commercial, and now use Scratch (which I see as a version of Logo and has the best UI yet) as my main introduction to visual programming for students. Teachers will chop and change like I have. In general they are committed to easy to use software and are not tuned in to complex legal arguments about licensing and its implications.

However, as a teacher I would like to be able to use the latest version of Scratch in Australia and use the same version if I decided to travel to a developing country to work on the OLPC project. Another hypothetical: It would also be great if African kids in refugee camps working with XO's were working on the latest version of Scratch before they came to Australia.

Another point: More and more people, teachers and youth, are using Open Source and understanding the politics of Open Source more. By changing the license as you have you diminish the enthusiasm of those people for Scratch. People chose software for a variety of reasons. The perception of support for freedom being one of those reasons.

#22 2008-11-14 21:52:41

billkerr
Scratcher

I posted a slightly longer version to the IAEP list (its an education project), linking to a post by Tom Hoffman about Trademarks:
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2008-November/002517.html

There has been a separate discussion of this issue there, the thread starts here:
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2008-November/002414.html

#23 2008-11-30 08:47:09

mres
Scratch Team

I think we agree on the goal of the "widest possible distribution of the current or up-to-date version of Scratch to the children of the world." But we have some difference of opinion on how to achieve that goal.

The key difference, it seems, is that Scratch restricts the source-code license to non-commercial distribution. Our concern is that a company might make a slightly modified version of our source code and start selling it with a big marketing budget -- and with a different educational philosophy than our own. Such an effort could (via its marketing budget) gain much more visibility than our Scratch effort, and undermine our educational efforts with Scratch. I don't know if that's a significant risk. But we're hesitant to allow commercial distribution of variants of our source code, at least until Scratch is more firmly established in the world.

We will continue to re-evaluate our licensing policies over time, as we try to figure out the best way to help more people become engaged with Scratch and related educational ideas.

FYI: For an overview of the Scratch licenses, see http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Scratch_License (Note that there are two different licenses, one for binary and one for source.)

Mitch Resnick

#24 2009-11-26 00:43:16

doctorbeeper
Scratcher

mres wrote:

FYI: For an overview of the Scratch licenses, see http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Scratch_License (Note that there are two different licenses, one for binary and one for source.)

Mitch Resnick

Thank you for the link to the scratch license overview.  I managed to find this page indexed in a Google search, but wasn't able to find that link anywhere on the site.  Much appreciated.

#25 2009-12-22 16:04:34

null101
Scratcher

doctorbeeper wrote:

mres wrote:

Mitch Resnick

Thank you for the link to the scratch license overview.  I managed to find this page indexed in a Google search, but wasn't able to find that link anywhere on the site.  Much appreciated.

Ditto  smile  thanks for the link.

• Index
  •  » FAQ
  •  » What license is Scratch available under?

Board footer