This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#151 2011-04-11 21:23:44

Musicstar888
Scratcher

Re: The many different flavors of Spam...

Lightnin wrote:

Musicstar888 wrote:

This is my first post in Announcements! Hee hee.  big_smile  Would making a project telling people to visit my band's website be considered spamming? We don't sell anything on the site.

Thanks everyone in advance!  smile

Nope, I think that'd be fine!  smile

Thanks! I'm totally gonna do that.  big_smile

Goodbye, Misc. Until we meet again.
You're not alone.

#152 2011-04-11 21:28:36

Earthboundjeff
Scratcher

Yeah, spamming is pancakes totally not ok!

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1SONrHUmdKZXQNDgtN_vpycOOo-BDMfnlqHZRA1lMpYXhX7Jc

#153 2011-04-11 21:38:46

soupoftomato
Scratcher

Earthboundjeff wrote:

Yeah, spamming is pancakes totally not ok!

oh wait i didnt get what you were saying

lol disregard the report

I'm glad to think that the community will always be kind and helpful, the language will always be a fun and easy way to be introduced into programming, the motto will always be: Imagine, Program, Share - Nomolos

#154 2011-04-15 12:19:15

rdococ
Scratcher

Does that mean you get money when we post links to scratch.mit.edu ? In that case, I might help you get some money via SEO "spam".  tongue  Wouldn't that be a good idea to get you money?
EDIT: Oh, and if it needs to be on another site I can just make my own private forum and post links to scratch.mit.edu !

Last edited by rdococ (2011-04-15 12:20:11)

#155 2011-04-15 12:21:19

kimmy123
Scratcher

rdococ wrote:

Does that mean you get money when we post links to scratch.mit.edu ?

Awesome  yikes

http://i.imgur.com/Mg3TPIE.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/rgyzXV5.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/685FKVd.pnghttp://24.media.tumblr.com/8678e33865664f328e1654109679cb92/tumblr_mm1qu3jGD71s8caito3_r1_250.gif

#156 2011-04-15 13:06:54

LunarEclipse
Scratcher

They don't, actually!

This is Earthboundjeff's Test Account.
http://i56.tinypic.com/11jw576.jpg

#157 2011-04-15 18:35:37

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

rdococ wrote:

Does that mean you get money when we post links to scratch.mit.edu ? In that case, I might help you get some money via SEO "spam".  tongue  Wouldn't that be a good idea to get you money?
EDIT: Oh, and if it needs to be on another site I can just make my own private forum and post links to scratch.mit.edu !

No no no.... it means spammers get money because they post links on the Scratch website, then Google picks it up via indexing and bumps up their (the spammer's website's) rating. Scratch basically gets abused with unwanted spam as a result.  sad

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#158 2011-04-15 21:38:41

CloneCommando1
Scratcher

Spam, some people like it, some people don't. I am one of the guys who dosn't.  neutral

Last edited by CloneCommando1 (2011-04-15 21:38:59)

RANDOM THOUGHT: If the tomato is a fruit, doesn't that make ketchup a smoothie?

#159 2011-04-16 09:49:15

rdococ
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

rdococ wrote:

No no no.... it means spammers get money because they post links on the Scratch website, then Google picks it up via indexing and bumps up their (the spammer's website's) rating. Scratch basically gets abused with unwanted spam as a result.  sad

But then, we could make a perfectly normal forum, add a spamming forum that allows spam, and post linkspam to scratch.mit.edu then. Google then picks it up and bumps up the website.  wink

OFFTOPIC sort of: I don't get why Scratch is quite popular when NO advertisements on TV or adverts on google.

Last edited by rdococ (2011-04-16 09:49:27)

#160 2011-04-17 11:53:07

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

rdococ wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

rdococ wrote:

But then, we could make a perfectly normal forum, add a spamming forum that allows spam, and post linkspam to scratch.mit.edu then. Google then picks it up and bumps up the website.  wink

But we don't want that.

Scratch is offered for free but it still requires money to run, so why should we spend precious server space for spam when it could be spent on hosting projects? Scratch also relies on the volunteer service of the moderators so why make moderators spend time following up on commercial backlinks that have nothing at all to do with Scratch when they could be focused on taking care of other things more related to Scratch in general?

Aside from that, the forums are a place for Scratchers to talk about Scratch programming, so I don't think it's fair to let people who have no intention of being Scratchers post hundreds of backlinks on the site for commercial reasons. If these spammers want more revenue for their site, they should do it legally and not abuse EDU websites for the sake of commercial profit.

rdococ wrote:

OFFTOPIC sort of: I don't get why Scratch is quite popular when NO advertisements on TV or adverts on google.

Certain websites get more noticed than others. In the case of Scratch, it is considered an educational website so it's bumped to the top of the list for indexing; other websites that get indexed more quickly are websites that end in GOV and ORG. 

Unfortunately, that is what also makes such websites a target for abuse by commercial spammers.

Last edited by cheddargirl (2011-04-17 13:40:30)

Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#161 2011-05-12 13:02:52

JPY
Scratcher

i agree.

if you're a Sonic Fan, you've gotta try Sonic Generations!                                                         click  here for Sonic Fanart!

#162 2011-05-13 13:39:13

rdococ
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

rdococ wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

But we don't want that.

Scratch is offered for free but it still requires money to run, so why should we spend precious server space for spam when it could be spent on hosting projects? Scratch also relies on the volunteer service of the moderators so why make moderators spend time following up on commercial backlinks that have nothing at all to do with Scratch when they could be focused on taking care of other things more related to Scratch in general?

Aside from that, the forums are a place for Scratchers to talk about Scratch programming, so I don't think it's fair to let people who have no intention of being Scratchers post hundreds of backlinks on the site for commercial reasons. If these spammers want more revenue for their site, they should do it legally and not abuse EDU websites for the sake of commercial profit.

rdococ wrote:

Certain websites get more noticed than others. In the case of Scratch, it is considered an educational website so it's bumped to the top of the list for indexing; other websites that get indexed more quickly are websites that end in GOV and ORG. 

Unfortunately, that is what also makes such websites a target for abuse by commercial spammers.

What about in the signature? Then. it's out the way and people can gain money.

#163 2011-05-13 17:11:49

Lightnin
Scratch Team

rdococ wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

rdococ wrote:

But we don't want that.

rdococ wrote:

Nope, definitely still not ok. I know it seems like easy money, but if everyone started putting backlinks in their sigs to make $, the forums would quickly become overwhelmed with advertisements - distractions from what the Scratch community is about and for.

Cheddar: +1 - Great post!

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#164 2011-05-14 16:18:33

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

rdococ wrote:

Well, to add on what Lightnin said, that fact that spammers have been abusing the sigs for SEO link spam is the driving reason as to why there is now a restriction such that New Scratchers cannot get signatures - it is so to prevent SEO spammers from abusing the Scratch forums to post links via their signatures.

As I said before:

To sum up my point: Regardless of whether the commercial link is in a signature, in a post, in a comment, or in a project/gallery notes, it is still a waste of space and volunteer services.

Overall, abusing any website for the sake of SEO purposes is considered to be unethical in general (if not illegal) and can get you into a lot of problems later, whether it would be a website ban (the least serious case) to legal trouble (which would be the most serious case). I really do hope you don't ever consider abusing any website for SEO purposes, ever.

#165 2011-05-27 23:12:22

undefeatedgames
Scratcher

Lightnin wrote:

What is Spamming?

These days, the word "spam" means a lot of things. In email, spam means a message sent to try and convince people to buy stuff. On forums, it takes the form of links to commercial sites. What about on Scratch?

On Scratch 'spamming' is when Scratchers post lots of links to their projects so that others will see them and increase their views and love its. There's a fine line between "show and tell" and spamming. Think of it this way: If someone comes to a party and says "Hey check out my new project!" that's cool - it's nice to see what others are up to. But if they say "Hey check out my new project!" every 5 seconds to everyone in the room, it gets old pretty fast. That's a kind of spamming, so we politely discourage it.

But lately there is a new kind of spam that's becoming a problem on our forums. It's called SEO spam.  "SEO" stands for Search Engine Optimization.  SEO spam is when professional spammers create accounts on sites like ours for the purposes of putting links to their company or product. When google sees the link on our site, it thinks that it's probably a good company, so it increases their ranking in the search engine results. That turns into $$$ for the spammers, which just encourages them to make more spam!

So if you see links to other websites that don't really have anything to do with the conversation, especially by "new" Scratchers without a lot of posts or projects, please flag them! In many cases we'll remove the link even if we're not sure, just in case it is spam. It's still ok for Scratchers to link to sites that they think are cool, especially if they are related to programming or Scratch related stuff. But if you aren't a long time member of the community, we might remove the link until we get to know you a little better.

Scratch On!

Thanks for posting this. Just found some SEO spam...

Please call me udg or bearsfan, not undefeated.
Scratch and Misc.! Click here for Misc.'s Successorhttps://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jkhes3yzmQk/T7G_BnxT9xI/AAAAAAAABYI/xhoN1Jk2M08/s513/sigp1.gif

#166 2011-05-28 03:30:14

emboar30
Scratcher

Jazman111 wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

shockwave wrote:

but what kinds of sick minds would come onto a site SPECIFICALLY marked .edu just to make MONEY!!?!?!?!??!????!$$%Pr

Those people aren't like us - they don't have a proper life. They just want money...  sad

100% true, Jonathan.

Infinite% true, really

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/icons/buddy/788987_med.png?t=2011-05-02+15%3A14%3A41
I is epiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiic!     See my stuff here!!!!!

#167 2011-06-01 10:47:30

rdococ
Scratcher

mathematics wrote:

And there is also something like this:
http://www.gооglе.com/ (Just an example)
The link above seems to lead you to Google, but it actually leads you to gооglе.com.

Huh? The BBcode is like [url] not [url=]...
EDIT:
http://google.com
http://gооglе.com/
The O's and the E's are a bit different in the "google" part.

Last edited by rdococ (2011-06-01 10:49:23)

#168 2011-06-01 19:11:38

JPY
Scratcher

CloneCommando1 wrote:

Spam, some people like it, some people don't. I am one of the guys who dosn't.  neutral

i agree.  neutral

if you're a Sonic Fan, you've gotta try Sonic Generations!                                                         click  here for Sonic Fanart!

#169 2011-06-29 11:06:10

chipguy
Scratcher

so, just pointlessly putting a link as a comment on a project is loads worse than saying: nice game! i made somthing like this (Link) but it isn't far as good. okay! i'll not do spamming!

check out this cool site!
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=817079#p817079

Last edited by chipguy (2011-06-29 11:06:25)

http://scratch.mit.edu/static/projects/chipguy/2919121_sm.png by yours truly  big_smile

#170 2011-07-03 22:31:03

silverjoyce
New Scratcher

I am new in your community,
i will try to be careful about that too

#171 2011-07-04 20:31:36

Flowermanvista
Scratcher

Spam Is Bad!really!

#172 2011-07-04 23:51:13

sk8rgirl809
Scratcher

shockwave wrote:

but what kinds of sick minds would come onto a site SPECIFICALLY marked .edu just to make MONEY!!?!?!?!??!????!$$%Pr

Sk8rgirl809:
this coming from the dude whose signature is written like an advertisement. no offense  cool

-your mind has been blown  cool

#173 2011-07-08 13:44:27

LivelyStickDude
Scratcher

When I advertise my projects, i notify people who already viewed one of my projects before.I dont just post the same thing on almost every project, i do it to get the viewing started- practically to let people know what it is

#174 2011-08-07 02:17:00

NintendoDaniel
Scratcher

We should take Justin Bieber spam and push it somewherw else! Patrick Quote 100% true fact  smile  I eat Spam lol  smile  GOOGLE it protect your privacy is a little difficult on certain occasions but for galleries it`s easier! Projects are easy spam target.  hmm

#175 2011-08-07 02:20:58

NintendoDaniel
Scratcher

<turn cw(  )degrees>What are you spamming about everyone can`t protect spam  hmm   sad  aw.

Board footer