This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Requests
  •  » Looking for a first grade spelling game.

#1 2010-02-23 21:48:51

parks
Scratcher

Looking for a first grade spelling game.

I am looking for a spelling game for my first grade son.  I would like to be able to just add his spelling words into the game in a list form every week.   A plus would being able to have a spelling game with a superman sprite.  Any ideas?

#2 2010-02-24 05:37:39

fanofcena
Scratcher

Re: Looking for a first grade spelling game.

yes you can do this easily  smile  I have a good idea and i will upload this kinda thing tomorrow for sure  smile

http://i53.tinypic.com/2vxr2c0.png Click whats above u might make a cute planet happy ^_^

#3 2010-02-24 06:27:32

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

There are two method for spelling tests - you can have the word said with sound, or with text. With sound, you can't see any words, but you'll have to get all the sounds... that'll take a while. With text, it's nice and easy (you just input the words into the list, no need to get anything big), but you have to display the word for a brief moment and that sort of ruins it (if you are really quick, you can memorize the word before it disappears). Both methods I will give the scripts for, though.

Here's the script for sounds:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/750/52spellingtestscript1wi.png

To break it up:
• The list contains the names of all the sounds. To play a random sound:
  • The variable "Selected word" is set randomly to a number.
  • The play block checks the item (the item number is the value of "Selected word") in the list, and plays the sound with the name in the item.
• The program asks you to spell the word.
• It then checks if the answer is the same as the name of the sound (it looks in the list). If it's right, then the program 'loops', but if not, it asks you to try again.
And that's it! If you want to add any sounds, add the sound you want to the sounds area, and then make another item in the list, with the item containing the name of the sound.

Here's the script for using text - make sure that the variable "Word" is showing! Anyway:

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/1652/53spellingtextscript2wi.png

It's the same as the previous script, except that it has a variable that briefly displays the word, instead of saying the word by sound. Let's explain the new bit:
• It sets the variable "Selected word", as usual.
• The variable "Word" sets itself to the variable "Selected word" for half a second, and then sets itself blank, as before.
And then it does the same stuff as the previous script.

Any questions?

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#4 2010-02-24 11:23:13

Engelchen87
Scratcher

Hey Jonathan,

I had a look at your soundscript for learning words. Is it possible to add sth. that words I knew in the first round not asked again? So I learn the ones I don't know yet but do't need to type in the already known words after and after?? So there is sth like an end for the kids?

Thanks for helping
Engelchen

#5 2010-02-24 11:29:24

Greenboi
Scratcher

fanofcena weren't you going to make it? ...

#6 2010-02-24 18:04:09

parks
Scratcher

You guys are great!  Thanks for the ideas.  This helps my little guy.  I am working on a program now with a superman sprite.  He loves it already and it's not even done.   smile

#7 2010-02-25 03:02:49

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Engelchen87 wrote:

Hey Jonathan,

I had a look at your soundscript for learning words. Is it possible to add sth. that words I knew in the first round not asked again? So I learn the ones I don't know yet but do't need to type in the already known words after and after?? So there is sth like an end for the kids?

Thanks for helping
Engelchen

Ah, I forgot that part! Anyway, here are the two scripts - both will check if words have already been spelled. And as a bonus, when you spell all the words, the program will congratulate you! Oh - the scripts are a bit fat, so they were shrunk a bit to fit into the width of the forum posts. Anyway, here's the script for sound:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7558/56spellingtextscript2so.png

And with text:

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1691/57spellingtestscript2te.png

Any questions?

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-02-25 03:04:14)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#8 2010-02-25 03:05:56

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

parks wrote:

You guys are great!  Thanks for the ideas.  This helps my little guy.  I am working on a program now with a superman sprite.  He loves it already and it's not even done.   smile

Thanks! And good luck on your project!  smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#9 2010-02-25 04:22:00

fanofcena
Scratcher

Greenboi wrote:

when i typed that it was 8:30 PM in my home now i m back on System from Skool and u r telling me this :X

anyways i think park has got the point just one question Parks the way they all are telling will require you to record the sound with the name each time you enter a word and also add that at the same place in the list or it might be going wrong  smile  so take care of it  smile

Last edited by fanofcena (2010-02-25 04:24:19)

http://i53.tinypic.com/2vxr2c0.png Click whats above u might make a cute planet happy ^_^

#10 2010-02-25 08:27:42

Engelchen87
Scratcher

I took the new one you did with the sound, but my words weren't taken into  the already spelled list. how can that be? did it exactly the way you showed. Please help

#11 2010-02-26 00:38:50

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Engelchen87 wrote:

I took the new one you did with the sound, but my words weren't taken into  the already spelled list. how can that be? did it exactly the way you showed. Please help

Okay, I tested the script again and it worked... here's what I think the problem is: Did you forget this bit?

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/8620/58replaceitemselectedwo.png

That'd be the perfect answer. If not, check the following:

• Does the list "Words already spelled" have as many items in it as the list "List of words"?
• Does the list "List of words" have an item for each sound?
• Do the items in the list "List of words" match up with the names of the sounds - the first sound has the same name as what is stored in item 1, the second sound has the same name as what is stored in item 2, etc.?

Maybe you could upload a picture of your script and the lists? That'd probably get the problem solved, but check the above stuff first.

-Charlotte Brontë

#12 2010-02-26 06:51:54

Engelchen87
Scratcher

It's working!!
I had one little mistake with the replacing part. Thanks a lot for all the help!!

#13 2010-02-26 22:26:19

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Glad to help.  smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#14 2010-02-27 08:12:41

Greenboi
Scratcher

fanofcena wrote:

Greenboi wrote:

when i typed that it was 8:30 PM in my home now i m back on System from Skool and u r telling me this :X

anyways i think park has got the point just one question Parks the way they all are telling will require you to record the sound with the name each time you enter a word and also add that at the same place in the list or it might be going wrong  smile  so take care of it  smile

lol  anyways

If you want more detail added to it I can do that. (art/interactions)

#15 2010-03-06 10:38:50

Musicstar888
Scratcher

umm.. why is this in new scratch members? Just asking... :\

Goodbye, Misc. Until we meet again.
You're not alone.

• Index
  •  » Requests
  •  » Looking for a first grade spelling game.

Board footer