This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#2676 2010-05-18 16:43:12

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

Re: Panther development thread

Kingdaro wrote:

Then please explain to me why no clones are created on green flag click. (when I put "clone me" under "when green flag clicked") The clone should show, according to this script.

Actually it does work, it just stacks them on top of each other which makes it look like nothing happened

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/3806/sigmad.png

#2677 2010-05-18 16:53:35

Kingdaro
Scratcher

ScratchReallyROCKS wrote:

Kingdaro wrote:

Then please explain to me why no clones are created on green flag click. (when I put "clone me" under "when green flag clicked") The clone should show, according to this script.

Actually it does work, it just stacks them on top of each other which makes it look like nothing happened

What do you mean? In the sprites' panel, or the project window? Seems like you're saying both to me, judging by my results. So why aren't they showing? Is there something wrong with my script? (Besides the "if not a clone: delete" that was a mistake I corrected.

#2678 2010-05-18 17:10:16

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

Kingdaro wrote:

What do you mean? In the sprites' panel, or the project window? Seems like you're saying both to me, judging by my results. So why aren't they showing? Is there something wrong with my script? (Besides the "if not a clone: delete" that was a mistake I corrected.

Sorry, I must not have been clear enough, I meant that in the actual viewer, all the clones are in front of the real sprite. It's like stacking 2 identical pieces of paper on top of one another, you can't see the bottom one.

Oh and the clones won't show up in the sprite panel because they are not actual sprites, just clones. They have the same scripts in them as the real one

Last edited by ScratchReallyROCKS (2010-05-18 17:12:19)

#2679 2010-05-18 17:21:19

Kingdaro
Scratcher

Kingdaro wrote:

Sorry, I must not have been clear enough, I meant that in the actual viewer, all the clones are in front of the real sprite. It's like stacking 2 identical pieces of paper on top of one another, you can't see the bottom one.

Oh and the clones won't show up in the sprite panel because they are not actual sprites, just clones. They have the same scripts in them as the real one

Then why, again I ask, do the clones not show up, when in the script, it asks if it is a clone, and if it is, it will SHOW.

#2680 2010-05-18 17:43:54

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

It's like multiple sprites running off the same script, which means it only shows the original in the sprite panel.

Try dragging the sprite you see on the screen away and you will see the clone.

#2681 2010-05-18 17:53:35

nXIII
Community Moderator

Kingdaro wrote:

Kingdaro wrote:

Then why, again I ask, do the clones not show up, when in the script, it asks if it is a clone, and if it is, it will SHOW.

They have the exact same costume and are in the exact same place; therefore you cannot tell the difference.

nXIII

#2682 2010-05-18 18:00:20

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

Thanks for clarifying my answer, nXIII

#2683 2010-05-18 18:03:33

Kingdaro
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

Kingdaro wrote:

They have the exact same costume and are in the exact same place; therefore you cannot tell the difference.

Oh hold on, I found the solution. Thanks. Sorry for causing any trouble, carry on. :3

#2684 2010-05-18 18:36:51

Jakey22
Scratcher

I REALLY want panther, but I am unable to access the download site due to restrictions from my parents. Could someone go to my website  (Sackettgraphicsolutions.com), go to the "Sign up for graphic" page (basically a contact page), and send me an e-mail.I will then e-mail you that, giving you my address. put the panther files in a zip folder and reply with it attached

Jakey22

http://www.imagebookers.com/gallery/d/2561-1/ubuntu-wallpaper.png http://bullylug.org/linux-penguin.jpg
My website       PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! randomness.

#2685 2010-05-18 18:49:30

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Sperry wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

Just got Panther!  big_smile  But a lot of the new blocks don't work (the <[ ] received?> doesn't work!  yikes ), and when I tried to show a new block's Stage Monitor, I got one of those Squeak error messages. >_< Does this happen to anyone else?

w00T  big_smile  Someone else got Panther!

1) The <I recieve []> does work, do this:
When =/ clicked
broadcast something

When I receive something
wait (5)

PUT HAT HERE
wait until something is recieved
DO SOMETHING HERE

After the 'when I receive ___" script is done, it reports false, that's what wait 5 is for.

2) A lot of people complain about that, we are working on fixing that right now!

Hmmm... I took the [wait until < >] block and put the <[ ] received> block in it (with a specified broadcast), and then activated my script - when I tried broadcasting the broadcast, the script didn't stop!  yikes
EDIT: Oh, now I see what's going on... I'm using it for the wrong purpose. ^_^

At your second point - YES YES YES YES YES

Panther is awesome!  smile

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2010-05-18 18:52:18)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#2686 2010-05-18 19:12:22

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

Is it possible to make booleans or reporters in CYOB, or can you only make command blocks?

#2687 2010-05-18 19:37:55

nXIII
Community Moderator

Is it possible to make booleans or reporters in CYOB, or can you only make command blocks?

Change the block type (small top-right textbox)
r for reporter
b for boolean

I accidentally killed my download counter >.>
If you downloaded it recently you have not been counted  yikes

Last edited by nXIII (2010-05-18 19:39:07)

nXIII

#2688 2010-05-18 19:39:12

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

r for reporter
b for boolean

Oh THAT'S what that's for

I downloaded it yesterday.

EDIT: can you make hats?

Last edited by ScratchReallyROCKS (2010-05-18 19:42:40)

#2689 2010-05-18 20:06:56

nXIII
Community Moderator

nXIII wrote:

r for reporter
b for boolean

Oh THAT'S what that's for

I downloaded it yesterday.

EDIT: can you make hats?

No, I'm afraid you can't.

EDIT: Although, in some later version (when I have more time over the summer) I am redesigning the hat-block system entirely; you will be able to trigger the same script  from multiple events, be able to name scripts (and access them once they are named), and possible even be able to take arguments (although this is a bit harder and starting to run into BYOB)

Last edited by nXIII (2010-05-18 20:08:49)

nXIII

#2690 2010-05-18 21:28:02

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

I love the idea, but you could make the Block Editor more user friendly...

#2691 2010-05-18 21:31:43

bharvey
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

be able to name scripts (and access them once they are named), and possible even be able to take arguments (although this is a bit harder and starting to run into BYOB)

Don't reinvent BYOB, just steal the code!  (Then I can start bugging you all the time instead of Jens.  smile  )

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig5.png

#2692 2010-05-18 21:34:45

bharvey
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

All clones are deleted when the green flag or the stop all button is pressed.

Oh!  I didn't understand that.  What's your model about how clones are used?  I keep thinking about the bricks in a Breakout game, and you'd want those to be persistent, at least I would.  (I want to see them on the stage between games.)

#2693 2010-05-18 21:35:02

nXIII
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

nXIII wrote:

be able to name scripts (and access them once they are named), and possible even be able to take arguments (although this is a bit harder and starting to run into BYOB)

Don't reinvent BYOB, just steal the code!  (Then I can start bugging you all the time instead of Jens.  smile  )

Teehee... no, this isn't really BYOB, more an extension of hat blocks, but yes, the difference is subtle. I guess I might steal (with credit, of course) some code for reporting values and such, but I do like my idea that you (might) have seen with the event blocks.

bharvey wrote:

nXIII wrote:

All clones are deleted when the green flag or the stop all button is pressed.

Oh!  I didn't understand that.  What's your model about how clones are used?  I keep thinking about the bricks in a Breakout game, and you'd want those to be persistent, at least I would.  (I want to see them on the stage between games.)

Hm... well, clones are kind of temporary copies of sprites, they follow their original's scripts and have their own hat block fired when they are created. I guess there could be an option in the settings about permanent vs. temporary clones; the problem with permanent: how do you know if you should make the hundred-or-so clones of bricks if they stay there after the game is over?

Last edited by nXIII (2010-05-18 21:37:50)

nXIII

#2694 2010-05-18 21:48:57

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

I noticed that in the system browser in Panther, it still says:

Scratch-Objects
Scratch-Blocks
Scratch-Execution Engine
etc.

You can change those to be:

Panther-Objects
Panther-Blocks
Panther-Execution Engine
etc.

just right click (mac = option click) on the categories and click rename. The rest is pretty self explanatory.

#2695 2010-05-19 00:01:53

bharvey
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

Teehee... no, this isn't really BYOB, more an extension of hat blocks, but yes, the difference is subtle. I guess I might steal (with credit, of course) some code for reporting values and such, but I do like my idea that you (might) have seen with the event blocks.

It's not just reporting values; it's first class scripts.  If you have named hat blocks (I mean, named specific hat blocks, not named categories like WHEN <foo> CLICKED), then basically they're procedures, and semantically equivalent to an unnamed hat block followed by a (named) custom command block that runs the script.  So, even if you want to use a different notation, I think you're pulling at the end of a long string that we've already unravelled for you.

(And my latest fiendish plan for taking over the world is to get BYOB into everyone's mod, starting of course with our chief competition.  smile  )

nXIII wrote:

the problem with permanent: how do you know if you should make the hundred-or-so clones of bricks if they stay there after the game is over?

Oh, you don't make them on green flag clicked; you make them on I (for Initialize) clicked, which says to delete all clones, and create fresh ones.  Or maybe you make it control-meta-shift-I so the users don't do it by accident.  smile   And then they do stay around after the game is over, ready for the next game.

#2696 2010-05-19 01:01:56

bharvey
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

how do you know if you should make the hundred-or-so clones of bricks if they stay there after the game is over?

P.S.  This reminds me.  I want a MY CLONES block that reports a list of all the (first class!) clones, so I can do things like FOR EACH ITEM OF [MY CLONES] DO [SET [< direction > OF < >] TO <#>] to get them all pointing different ways (360 clones in this example).

Last edited by bharvey (2010-05-19 01:04:12)

#2697 2010-05-19 02:22:07

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Hey, how about implementing a spot where you can build your own blocks? You'd completely pwn BYOB!  wink

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#2698 2010-05-19 02:45:37

iCode-747
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

Hey, how about implementing a spot where you can build your own blocks? You'd completely pwn BYOB!  wink

They did... right?

-End Transmission-

#2699 2010-05-19 03:12:18

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

iCode-747 wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

They did... right?

I didn't see it...  hmm

-Charlotte Brontë

#2700 2010-05-19 03:23:18

sparks
Community Moderator

*through tears* NOOOO!!! I'm so sorry about being completely dead yesterday, my internet was completely stubborn and did not work from 7AM to 10PM when I was on :'( I can't believe two whole new pages of stuff I couldn't contribute to.

ok, summarising what I think about yesterday,

I agree now, that we should remove the terms of service, they are not needed and I think nXIII removed them from our site yesterday.

What's <foo>? it keeps popping up and it sounds funny :p

I too think that we should implement choices over clones for temporary or permenant, as this might come in handy for not recloning all the bricks at the start of each level, and another one I can think of is that if you are using your webcam with a motion trigger, you can clone a sprite, use it to record a minute of image, then check to see if there is any more movement, if so, clone the empty sprite again and recored the next minute on the new sprite to stop any one sprite becoming to slow or full to open. The problem is, currently, all one needs to do is press stop to delete ALL the camera footage! not good.

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/7563/scratchbetabanner.png

Board footer