This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#2576 2010-05-16 19:00:16

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

Re: Panther development thread

Panther needs one block, the touching color reporter block.

http://imageshack.us/a/img694/3806/sigmad.png

#2577 2010-05-16 19:15:27

nXIII
Community Moderator

ScratchReallyROCKS wrote:

That's hard because a sprite takes up more than one pixel (if that's what you mean)
You can use the [color at x: (x position) y: (y position)] block, but that will only work if the sprite is hidden, a bug I would like to fix in future versions.

nXIII

#2578 2010-05-16 19:24:34

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

ScratchReallyROCKS wrote:

That's hard because a sprite takes up more than one pixel (if that's what you mean)
You can use the [color at x: (x position) y: (y position)] block, but that will only work if the sprite is hidden, a bug I would like to fix in future versions.

What if the sprite is a one pixel sprite?

#2579 2010-05-16 19:30:34

illusionist
Retired Community Moderator

What if it only sensed based on the sprite center?

http://i.imgur.com/8LX1NrV.png

#2580 2010-05-16 19:32:45

climber59
Scratcher

Is there anyway to make Panther import a chosen picture as a costume?

Check out my projects if you have a chance.

#2581 2010-05-16 19:34:00

nXIII
Community Moderator

climber59 wrote:

Is there anyway to make Panther import a chosen picture as a costume?

Um... you go to 'costumes' then 'import' and select an image. Just like Scratch.

Last edited by nXIII (2010-05-16 19:34:08)

nXIII

#2582 2010-05-16 19:35:49

climber59
Scratcher

No, I meant like defining a filepath with a costume block and then having it load that costume without a dialog box.

Also, what are tuples?

Check out my projects if you have a chance.

#2583 2010-05-16 19:53:52

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

climber59 wrote:

No, I meant like defining a filepath with a costume block and then having it load that costume without a dialog box.

I tried and you can't

I'm guessing this is just a pointless thing you did with the skin but the lines in the scripting area are diagonal

Last edited by ScratchReallyROCKS (2010-05-16 19:55:04)

#2584 2010-05-16 20:04:59

bharvey
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

In Logo this operation is called COLOR UNDER, to make it clear that the sprite itself doesn't count.  (I understand that your problem isn't just about the name, but when you do solve it, that's what you should call the block!  smile  )

http://cs.berkeley.edu/~bh/sig5.png

#2585 2010-05-16 20:08:14

nXIII
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

nXIII wrote:

In Logo this operation is called COLOR UNDER, to make it clear that the sprite itself doesn't count.  (I understand that your problem isn't just about the name, but when you do solve it, that's what you should call the block!  smile  )

Well, when I fix the color at: block, there will be no need for the color under block.

nXIII

#2586 2010-05-16 20:09:10

bharvey
Scratcher

climber59 wrote:

Also, what are tuples?

What is the context of this question?

#2587 2010-05-16 20:16:08

ScratchReallyROCKS
Scratcher

climber59 wrote:

Also, what are tuples?

I don't know what you are supposed to do with it but it shows the Scratch (Panther?) script in a yellow squeak window that shows all the connected blocks in small talk(ish)

#2588 2010-05-16 20:23:16

bhz
Scratcher

Bug reported  smile
I forgot toadd my name to the bug report. I was the one who was talking about (direction), (x position), (y position), etc not working properly in projects made in Scratch1.4

#2589 2010-05-16 20:31:11

nXIII
Community Moderator

bhz wrote:

Bug reported  smile
I forgot toadd my name to the bug report. I was the one who was talking about (direction), (x position), (y position), etc not working properly in projects made in Scratch1.4

yea, I'm not sure about that one... I'll fix it eventually.

nXIII

#2590 2010-05-16 20:40:12

cds56
Scratcher

D: your license/ToS has multiple spelling errors, making it null and void in a legal court, I suggest fixing that.

Code:

By downloading Panther, the software included with this text ("the Software"), you - the Liscence - agree to the following terms of service:

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and accompanying documentation and media files (the "Software") to distribute the Software, including the right to use, copy, publish, or distribute copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice, this permission notice and this terms of service notice shall be included in all copies of the Software. ALL redistributions, derivative works, or other media that makes use of, includes, or distributes parts of the Software, including but not limited to graphics, coding, and design, ("Derivative Works") must do so free of charge to consumers or receivers of the Software, its derivatives, or other media making use of or including parts of the Software. Derivative Works must distribute the Software for exclusively non-commercial purposes. 

If the Software is published or distributed, or any parts of the Software, including but not limited to graphics, coding, and design, are used, published, or distributed, then a message stating "Panther, based on Scratch from the MIT media lab" must be displayed in an easily visible space in that distributed copy of the software or "based on Panther, based on Scratch from the MIT media lab" must be displayed in an easily visible space in that distributed copy of the Software if it is an edited format, changed from the version distributed with this notice in any way. If part of the graphics or coding of this Software is distributed, shared or sent without the rest of the Software then full credit to Panther must be sent, shared, or distributed with that graphics or coding as well as a copy of this terms of service. The following statements must be displayed in a visible place on website(s) or on distribution media such as CD(s) in all cases:

Panther is developed by the scratch users Sparks, nXIII, Sperry, SeptimusHeap, MathWizz, and Markyparky56 and is based on Scratch from the MIT media labs.

In no event shall the authors or copyright holders of Panther or Scratch be liable for any claim, damages or other liability, whether in an action of contract, tort, or otherwise, arising from, out of, or in connection with the software or the use or other dealings in the software.

WARNING: programs that are mildly damaging to your computer or display inappropriate content can be transmitted via Panther. If you do not trust the author, we recommend that you, the License, check Panther projects when you open them for I/O feature blocks such as read/write file and URL block, mesh connection blocks and custom blocks, and any other blocks that allow information transfer between Panther and other hardware and/or software to determine that you are happy with the script's actions before proceeding to run the project. Panther will do their best to ensure that dangerous projects are not released, but in no way guarantee their safety or in any way take responsibility or liability for dangerous projects, nor responsibility or liability for any damage to your computer, laptop, or any other hardware or software running this Software.

i think I swiped all of them for ya!

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/909/meowdevlogo.pnghttp://i32.tinypic.com/pucti.png

#2591 2010-05-16 20:42:32

nXIII
Community Moderator

cds56 wrote:

D: your license/ToS has multiple spelling errors, making it null and void in a legal court, I suggest fixing that.

Code:

By downloading Panther, the software included with this text ("the Software"), you - the Liscence - agree to the following terms of service:

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and accompanying documentation and media files (the "Software") to distribute the Software, including the right to use, copy, publish, or distribute copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice, this permission notice and this terms of service notice shall be included in all copies of the Software. ALL redistributions, derivative works, or other media that makes use of, includes, or distributes parts of the Software, including but not limited to graphics, coding, and design, ("Derivative Works") must do so free of charge to consumers or receivers of the Software, its derivatives, or other media making use of or including parts of the Software. Derivative Works must distribute the Software for exclusively non-commercial purposes. 

If the Software is published or distributed, or any parts of the Software, including but not limited to graphics, coding, and design, are used, published, or distributed, then a message stating "Panther, based on Scratch from the MIT media lab" must be displayed in an easily visible space in that distributed copy of the software or "based on Panther, based on Scratch from the MIT media lab" must be displayed in an easily visible space in that distributed copy of the Software if it is an edited format, changed from the version distributed with this notice in any way. If part of the graphics or coding of this Software is distributed, shared or sent without the rest of the Software then full credit to Panther must be sent, shared, or distributed with that graphics or coding as well as a copy of this terms of service. The following statements must be displayed in a visible place on website(s) or on distribution media such as CD(s) in all cases:

Panther is developed by the scratch users Sparks, nXIII, Sperry, SeptimusHeap, MathWizz, and Markyparky56 and is based on Scratch from the MIT media labs.

In no event shall the authors or copyright holders of Panther or Scratch be liable for any claim, damages or other liability, whether in an action of contract, tort, or otherwise, arising from, out of, or in connection with the software or the use or other dealings in the software.

WARNING: programs that are mildly damaging to your computer or display inappropriate content can be transmitted via Panther. If you do not trust the author, we recommend that you, the License, check Panther projects when you open them for I/O feature blocks such as read/write file and URL block, mesh connection blocks and custom blocks, and any other blocks that allow information transfer between Panther and other hardware and/or software to determine that you are happy with the script's actions before proceeding to run the project. Panther will do their best to ensure that dangerous projects are not released, but in no way guarantee their safety or in any way take responsibility or liability for dangerous projects, nor responsibility or liability for any damage to your computer, laptop, or any other hardware or software running this Software.

i think I swiped all of them for ya!

You actually messed up on a few, Licensee is actually supposed to be Licensee, you can refer to it however you like as long as it is defined (which it is). It certainly ISN'T a license of any kind, though.

EDIT: Oh, it was spelled wrong anyway... *I TRUSTED YOU, SPARKS!* (Sparks wrote the original and I added a bit but forgot to spell-check it).

Last edited by nXIII (2010-05-16 20:46:48)

nXIII

#2592 2010-05-16 20:47:04

cds56
Scratcher

Jeez, nxiii, there are a freaking thousand mods in panther.
You guys've all spent some time on this....
incredible
EDIT:

at nxiii's above post:

I didn't look at the context of licensee.

licensee is correct.

liscensee is not.

Last edited by cds56 (2010-05-16 21:04:08)

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/909/meowdevlogo.pnghttp://i32.tinypic.com/pucti.png

#2593 2010-05-16 20:57:48

Jens
Scratcher

Kudos, guys!

I just played around with Panther, and it's awesome! I especially love the new blocks look, the file interface (man, the URL-reading block is just awesome!), the color blocks, the dialog boxes, and your "Make a block" feature, that directly accesses Smalltalk.

I'm amazed and impressed.

Woho! Thanks for mentioning me, now I'm also flattered and honored!

So, you're using the same tuple-mechanism for block encodings that Scratch uses. For BYOB3 we're also using a slighty enhanced version of that mechanism. If we team up we might just come up with what Brian calls a "common object interface".

Last edited by Jens (2010-05-16 21:02:31)

Jens Mönig

#2594 2010-05-16 21:01:36

cds56
Scratcher

Jens wrote:

Kudos, guys!

I just played around with Panther, and it's awesome! I especially love the new blocks look, the file interface (man, the URL-reading block is just awesome!), the color blocks, the dialog boxes, and your "Make a block" feature, that directly access Smalltalk.

Panther is undoubtably one of the most resilient mods.

If not the best.

#2595 2010-05-16 21:06:21

nXIII
Community Moderator

Jens wrote:

Kudos, guys!

I just played around with Panther, and it's awesome! I especially love the new blocks look, the file interface (man, the URL-reading block is just awesome!), the color blocks, the dialog boxes, and your "Make a block" feature, that directly accesses Smalltalk.

Woho! Thanks for mentioning me, now I'm also flattered and honored!

So, you're using the same tuple-mechanism for block encodings that Scratch uses. For BYOB3 we're also using a slighty enhanced version of that mechanism. If we team up we might just come up with what Brian calls a "common object interface".

What about the tuples did you modify? (sorry about that everyone, forgot to disable DebugMenu)

nXIII

#2596 2010-05-16 21:07:34

bharvey
Scratcher

cds56 wrote:

making it null and void in a legal court

Oh please, don't let's start amateur lawyering.

For one thing, most of the interested parties and, as I understand it, all of the Panther developers, are minors (or, as the British so charmingly put it, infants  smile  ), and therefore unable to enter into binding contracts in the first place.

But minors are protected by copyright law, which is what I think mostly concerns the developers, license or no license.  The license doesn't restrict permission; it gives people permission to do certain things they otherwise couldn't -- indeed, if you're going to worry about the legality of the license, you should worry about whether the Panther developers' granting of permission is legally binding, or whether they can take it back later!

Not that they would.

Panther developers:  In my opinion you can stop worrying about people using your work without credit.  Your standing in the community is unassailable, as is evident from the amazing response on the forum.  Nobody can take that away from you.

#2597 2010-05-16 21:18:42

nXIII
Community Moderator

bharvey wrote:

cds56 wrote:

For one thing, most of the interested parties and, as I understand it, all of the Panther developers, are minors (or, as the British so charmingly put it, infants  smile  ), and therefore unable to enter into binding contracts in the first place.

But minors are protected by copyright law, which is what I think mostly concerns the developers, license or no license.  The license doesn't restrict permission; it gives people permission to do certain things they otherwise couldn't -- indeed, if you're going to worry about the legality of the license, you should worry about whether the Panther developers' granting of permission is legally binding, or whether they can take it back later!

Not that they would.

Panther developers:  In my opinion you can stop worrying about people using your work without credit.  Your standing in the community is unassailable, as is evident from the amazing response on the forum.  Nobody can take that away from you.

k. TIME FOR DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK!

TADA!

Last edited by nXIII (2010-05-16 21:20:24)

nXIII

#2598 2010-05-16 21:35:33

Jens
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

What about the tuples did you modify?

I'm using tuples not only for blocks but also for lists (because they can contain complex data in BYOB).

Jens Mönig

#2599 2010-05-16 22:18:50

bharvey
Scratcher

You know, the "meet the developers" page is a little sparse.  How about, you know, "nXIII grew up in a household whose native language was Smalltalk; his pet orangutan is named Adele" or something?

#2600 2010-05-17 02:00:55

rossyboyfilm
Scratcher

nXIII wrote:

bharvey wrote:

cds56 wrote:

Not that they would.

k. TIME FOR DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK!

TADA!

Hi. I told Sparks about a download link that I made for Panther which is an installer (.exe) that automatically puts a shortcut icon on the desktop. The link is http://www.mediafire.com/?wdw2gvdzvzi.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2128hvq.png

Board footer