This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#76 2010-05-21 00:37:23

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

Re: Interested in becoming the first Scratch guest blogger?

You can take your time to prepare it. Once you're done you can post it here: http://pastebin.com/ and send us the link.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#77 2010-05-24 16:15:22

qwertypower
Scratcher

I don't think I can do this now but is there any other things like this that I could do?

Last edited by qwertypower (2010-05-24 16:16:50)

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/8586/x1eo8x.png  http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9164/logozrv.png
http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/8186/image843.png      http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/406/bobs.png      http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2898/firegrob.png     Add zip the cybug, bob the sea urchin, and firegrob to your sig!

#78 2010-05-24 21:04:23

coolstuff
Community Moderator

I might write one on remixing in the near future.

#79 2010-08-02 20:35:48

All4one
Scratcher

I would like to write for the Scratch blog. I was actually reading it today, coincidentally. Anyway, here is a short draft I would write for "what is a Scratch company?":

"There are many different kinds of Scratch companies. They range from two-people collaborations to companies with over 15 people in it! The oldest Scratch company that I've ever heard of is Gray Bear Productions. A notable game by them is Night at Dreary Castle, an exciting game with fun minigames..."

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s600/CitrusOfTheTIger/sWujIsJ_zpsf6e772b4.jpg
Sig by AwesomeStar360

#80 2011-04-19 14:55:40

Ashurathehedgehog
Scratcher

Sorry, is it too late?

Oh great. hit my 100th post. thankz liru.

#81 2011-06-09 22:10:51

rabbit1131
Scratcher

Scratch is a programming language for everyone. It is directed at all ages, though mostly kids in-between the ages of 8-16 use it. It is a growing community of wonderful programmers, artists, RPGers, and much much more.
    It was released to the public in 2007 by some students at MIT, and has grown ever since. The first release was Scratch 1.0 and since then it has climbed to Scratch 1.4. The language is based on blocks, that can be dragged and form huge scripts. While this language is easy to use, it also has limits. Many people use this language to help then learn the basics, and then later it helps then use more complicated languages, like C++ or Java.
    Scratch has a website, patrolled by mods and safe for everyone. Scratch.mit.edu is a place to connect and get to know other Scratchers. You can upload your projects, look at other projects, and even rate them! Through their vast website of projects, galleries, and forums you can have a lot of fun!

A rough draft. Half done. I hope you like it.

The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia! I hope you will partake in this gigantic undertaking, to build the sequel to the hit map The Adventures of Revesilia! The Intergalactic Adventures of Revesilia Map Builders Application thread! http://internetometer.com/image/35004.png

#82 2011-07-19 17:41:22

Rosie906
Scratcher

I would, only I'm not allowed on the PC much these days. I would also include the  movement of the RPG topic on the forum to the TBGs.

Be happy! Spring is coming! And spring cleaning...
http://i40.tinypic.com/9rrecj.jpg

#83 2011-07-19 18:04:13

Rosie906
Scratcher

How's this?

A recent craze on Scratch has been the playing and creating of RPGs (Role-playing games). These can be in the forums or as scratch projects. As far as my understanding goes, there seem to be two kinds of RPG. There are games, very well-programmed, that involve walking around and menu-fighting, and things like that, and there are ones that are sort of small cartoons.These are often collaborative, open galleries, for people to freely add their own scene or episode. Not everyone agrees that this is how scratch should be used. Many believe that scratch should be for people who are interested in programming, graphics and putting their best work out there. That's okay, but it's best to be open to everything. Most of the small RPGs are very well-drawn and the storyline is very well planned out. In my opinion, both types of RPG are okay.

You can also play RPGs on the forums. NOT the [link]scratch forum[/link], but the [link]TBG forum.[/link] The scratch team felt that the TBGs/RPGs were clogging up the forum, so they put them separate. These RPGs, however, are played with words. You might sign up to be Mr. Ice cream man, for instance. Then when Suzie comes in looking for ice cream, you say something like, 'I sell Suzie ice cream.' It's pretty straightforward.

Creating an RPG is just as straightforward. Just create characters. Nothing else. It's a game, so you don't make a script. Just go with the flow. The others will keep it going. Just make a forum topic, or a gallery. People will love it.

RPGs have become very popular on scratch. A lot of the galleries get featured, forum posts get very clogged, and you might end up having more people asking for parts than the number of characters! But don't worry. You can always make up more.

PS, the links are to the scratch forum and the TBGs. I'm not sure what the method of communicating my article to you was, so I just did it here. Thank you.

Be happy! Spring is coming! And spring cleaning...
http://i40.tinypic.com/9rrecj.jpg

#84 2011-07-23 12:14:52

hello12345678910
Scratcher

Are you only allowing one person to write an article or multiple persons?

http://tinyurl.com/8yt32o9 http://tinyurl.com/6tgwp5r || Fish = F+I+S+H = 6+9+19+8 = 42<<The answer to Life, the Universe and Everything

#85 2011-07-27 22:30:22

Dinoclor
Scratcher

Hmm... Maybe you should make it so that some people are investigators, some people polish it up, some people interview scratchers. After all, you said you like collabs  tongue

This is a temporary signature. It will exist until I think of something witty.

#86 2011-07-28 00:01:38

jji7skyline
Scratcher

Here is my example article! Is it a bit too long?  tongue

RPG’s in Scratch…

RPG’s are a very difficult type of game to program, but Scratch has a long history of Scratchers making them. RPG stands for Role-Playing Game. Basically, in an RPG game, you take on the role of a character, and you choose what your character is going to do. Often, RPG games give you a wide choice things to do from walking around and exploring a virtual RPG world to picking up objects and using them for a purpose.

RPG games have also accumulated the image of being violent, but this is not always the case. RPG has a very wide definition. FPS games may be ranked as RPG games, as well as some Mario games.

RPG games in Scratch are so difficult to make because so many events and scripts have to run at exactly the time necessary, to create a realistic game play. This means that very many things can go wrong. This creates the need for bug finding and fixing. This can be a very tiring thing to do, and many Scratchers simply give up at this stage, but then, may others don’t give up. And we have had many amazing feats of RPG gaming on the front page as well as many un-noticed.

All-in-all, RPG game making in Scratch is a mixed bag of goodies as well as not-so-goodies, as although it can be very hard to make a good RPG game, when made successfully it can reap great results.  smile

I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!  big_smile

#87 2011-09-07 08:55:18

thisisntme
Scratcher

i might

http://i.imgur.com/ngU2P.gif

#88 2011-10-15 12:51:56

NoorTheJaguar
Scratcher

I'll try! I'd love to have that job. I'm using notepad to make a blogging website!  smile

#89 2011-10-26 00:33:16

kayybee
Scratcher

andresmh, are you still accepting these? I think i forgot to submit one cause I do remember seeing it. I'd like to submit one if it's not too late.

#90 2011-11-14 11:34:35

NeilWest
Scratcher

I'm interested in this Scratch Team position! I would like to cover the lives of forgotten but Great Scratchers. Not their actual lives, but what they did in Scratch (i.e: Collab Camp, being at a Scratch Day event).  I hope I get chosen, and thanks for your time.

#91 2011-11-14 11:50:26

NeilWest
Scratcher

By the way, heres an example:

NeilWest reports: NeilWest, precise programmer, precise past.

This month, I'm looking at NeilWest. He started Scratching on January 6th 2010 when his dad suggested he should try Scratch, after coming across it. NeilWest loved the idea, and got to work! He started with the humble Stickman series, a bunch of really short projects based on tests Neil made. None were good, but soon, you could see an improvement of the games Neil made.
As the months went on, Neil went through a phrase where he would remix anything popular. Then he went back to making simple games, but at a better quality. The first proper and working game was Danger Levels 1-6. A few months after Danger, he made I CAN BREAK THESE CUFFS! based on mattlicous' original. This managed to get 207 views, the most he ever got at that time. He then went on to making more sucsessful games like -AIR- and its sequel. Since then, NeilWest has made minigames like M1 or Raw Sushi: Cowboy Style. If you would like to see any of his games or have a blast to his past, click here!

#92 2012-03-16 11:08:29

XenoK_Studios
Scratcher

are you still accepting submissions?

New signature under construction

#93 2012-03-16 13:29:07

Borrego6165
Scratcher

Does anyone want me to write a blog about my famous advert thread? Or would that be inappropriate? (I didn't fully understand the first page)

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#94 2012-03-16 15:01:40

joletole
Scratcher

Borrego6165 wrote:

Does anyone want me to write a blog about my famous advert thread? Or would that be inappropriate? (I didn't fully understand the first page)

I could help you make a blog about your advert thread. I don't think it would be inappropriate.

Preview:

Hello all Scratchers,

Almost every scratcher knows about the forums. There you can find stuff like collabs or just poke around and see what everyone is creating. One topic can let scratchers advertise there projects, without ever having to bump it. This topic is called "The Project Club: The Scratch Cat Hideout".

(Put history of advert thread in second paragraph).

(Put how it became a full on company)

Thanks!

That is what your blog could look like!

Last edited by joletole (2012-03-16 15:02:21)

#95 2012-03-16 16:03:27

Borrego6165
Scratcher

joletole wrote:

Borrego6165 wrote:

I could help you make a blog about your advert thread. I don't think it would be inappropriate.

Preview:

Hello all Scratchers,

Almost every scratcher knows about the forums. There you can find stuff like collabs or just poke around and see what everyone is creating. One topic can let scratchers advertise there projects, without ever having to bump it. This topic is called "The Project Club: The Scratch Cat Hideout".

(Put history of advert thread in second paragraph).

(Put how it became a full on company)

Thanks!

That is what your blog could look like!

Thanks!!! What would I do without you?

Here's my idea:

Contents
0. Prologue
1. The Idea
2. Beginning of the Advert Thread
3. Becoming Stickied
4. The Scratch Cat's Hideout Era
5. April 29th Celebrations
6. How you could be helped by this

Prologue
Recently there have been some copies of my advert thread, and whilst I apologise for "shouting" at scratchers, I want everyone to understand how life changing it was for me, and explain why I get hurt personally when people copy it, when I should remember that people remix stuff all the time. This is mine and the advert thread's journey, and I hope it inspires you to make your own companies!
            -Thanks, Borrego6165

The Idea
I remember when I had just finished a series of... well, not very successful games. There was my Inter-carny Inc. theme park builder which was put simply as terrible, there was also my boring Scratch-A-Lot game based on Build-A-Lot, and finally there was my failed collaboration for making a Resort Tycoon game. I was in what I called the "Scratch Depression". I had run out of fresh ideas, and my projects we getting no views because I had lost the passion for scratch I had before; which therefore caused me to create terrible projects. Finally I realised that I would need to stop making games for a little while, and distract myself with other things.

I looked at the show and tell forums, and reminded myself of all the different advert threads I had posted my failed games on, and then I realised something. The advert threads, after only a couple of days running, would be lost forever. I also noticed that when you added a project onto these threads they would just be lost in-between all of the other games and projects, with no way to make them stand out.

So on October 29th, 14 days after Scratch-A-Lot and 10 days after my Beach Resort Games failed, the advert thread was created.

The Beginning of the Advert Thread
At first, it was as busy as every other thread. In the first day or so, people would rush to get their projects on the thread before it was too late. However, I noticed something quite amazing. You see, as an example I put my own projects on the first page, to show other scratchers how they would all be put into categories. Within a few days, my Inter-Carny Inc. game had risen from 28 views to 67 views! Of course, this was when the advert thread was pretty empty, and so it would have been very easy for scratchers to see it. But, the thread managed to stay on top of the first page. At first it would be me bumping it up all of the time, but then other scratchers would occasionally bump it up for me, showing me the true community spirit. However, I was worried this might be just a phase, so I had to start adding projects without asking people, I searched all over the site by typing in key phrases and looking for as many projects as I could find. I managed to increase the number from 45 to 70 before I stopped. It may sound like cheating, but it worked.

More and more scratchers were coming to look at the large collection, I was truly amazed. Everything was working out rather nicely for me.

Becoming Stickied
Before my advert thread was stickied, there were no other "casual" threads which were stickied. Only the serious scratch-team-made were at the top with one or two exceptions. Even the "suggest projects to be featured" topic was not stickied, and that was, and still is vital. So I was quite scared to ask, but then I realised that my thread had reached it's 3400th view (I accidently said 8000 to Joletole- that was mixed up with another event at 8000 views!). This was back on December 19th, which is not long ago considering how fast the views have shot up since then.

I remember discussing it with Paddle2See. There were problems which he would give me but I would try my best to shoot a good explanation back. Then after quite a few discussions, the advert thread was stickied on January 9th, 2012.

The Scratch Cat's Hideout Era
The advert thread was getting old. With no new projects coming in except the odd couple, I had decided to expand. At 8000 views, I announced that there would be contests and re-organisation of the categories. It was also the start of my Project of the Week, which later turned to Projects of the Week now run by the PotW-Team a few weeks later. However, this was not enough.

Yes I had managed to get up to 12,000 views without making many differences to the thread, but the rate in which scratchers viewed the thread was very slowly starting to decline. There were also copies, and the thing that worried me most was that scratchers would prefer to advertise their projects on tiny advert threads instead of my whopping advert thread. I needed to re-generate the thread, so I came up with the idea to run it as a project club, being the first club on scratch.

So in a couple of days from now (it is the 16th of March 2012) I will be changing the layout of the advert thread so that it works like a club with different rooms and features. When making your own companies, it would be wise to re-invent yourself every so often. Not so often that it gets unbearable, and don;t make so many changes that it might as well be a separate company. Keep at it always!

April 29th Celebrations
To celebrate half a year of the advert thread, I will be:
+Uploading my latest games including Rayman4 and Taxi Time Tycoon.
+Re-organising the thread again.
+Starting a new debate show on scratch. (Please don't copy)

So don't miss out!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Borrego6165 (2012-03-16 16:04:57)

Generation:4001 Build a beautiful city, with over 50 objects and over 10000 tiles per city! This simulates traffic, pollution, tourism, crime and more!

#96 2012-03-16 16:45:11

XenoK_Studios
Scratcher

very short segment of my post:

Since the dawn of the collaboration forum, in 2010, the way scratchers use scratch has changed for the better.  Out of that forum, spawned a countless amount of what we call Scratch Companies.  And that is what I'll be discussing in this post. 

As I am an owner of one of these companies myself, I am fascinated at the very idea of these very things.  First, to explain exactly what these companies do.  Scratch Companies are a group of scratchers, consisting of a leader, and it's members.  They all work together to create projects under the name of that group, with all of it's members recieving credit.  These companies have made a countless amount of scratch projects, in all different kinds, typically games, and animations.  Different ones, such as my own, have displayed such characteristics.

To give an example of these in the works, I'll take mine.  I gave it a name:  Eternity Inc.  I gave it a website: www.eternityinc-official.com.  I've even assembled a group of scratchers to help work on the different projects we produce.  In the past, Scratch Companies have focused primarily on making a scratch project, and then promoting it.  Then, they repeat.  Some, such as mine in the present, focus on mastering the arts that require the full understanding of scratch projects, and the message that they convey.  We really work to display teamwork, and generosity to the scratch community as a whole.  We've even set a goal for ourselves - become a professional group doing exactly what we do today: programming, drawing, and displaying the arts as one.  So, the evolution of the scratch company has truly come a long way, since 2010.  Companies such as mine have truly made collaboration, something possible in a scratch project, that not one person may achieve.  Having a team of brilliant minds, working together, giving constructive critism to their work, only to improve it is truly a work of art, magic.     

TO BE CONTINUED...  btw, I give two other examples of collaborations, (it's a lot of typing.) just to keep in mind I am not trying to promote my own, but simply express my way of thinking towards this.

#97 2012-03-16 16:49:56

XenoK_Studios
Scratcher

DARN IT!!  I looked at older posts, and realized this had already been taken!  I spent a whole hour on writing the complete article!

#98 2012-03-16 16:51:57

XenoK_Studios
Scratcher

oh well, still sending the link:  http://pastebin.com/KexAd2pv

#99 2012-03-16 19:02:28

New Scratcher

I do in fact understand the line of basics you are going on but i have a question myself, why must you limit the projects to scratchers only? to make this clearer, new scratchers, are they allowed to partake in these...projects? i was told no and that really upset me because i am as expireienced as any "scratchers" and just haven't posted many projects yet.

#100 2012-03-17 09:49:23

joletole
Scratcher

15151 wrote:

I do in fact understand the line of basics you are going on but i have a question myself, why must you limit the projects to scratchers only? to make this clearer, new scratchers, are they allowed to partake in these...projects? i was told no and that really upset me because i am as expireienced as any "scratchers" and just haven't posted many projects yet.

Yes, new scratchers can't apply. Sorry. And yes, try to post more projects, not just a no sprite no script kind of project. Real projects. And the more you ask the ST for you to become a Scratcher the less chance you will be one. I became a scratcher after one post, because I had like 20 projects.

Board footer