This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2009-12-12 12:35:57

pinochio
Scratcher

Re: Interested in becoming the first Scratch guest blogger?

cocoanut wrote:

pinochio wrote:

You could interview evil string, but flamingtrout is probably better.

I'm going to interview a LOT. Not just one.

Ok! Can you review my article?

Flat Out G

#27 2009-12-12 12:39:29

cocoanut
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

cocoanut wrote:

pinochio wrote:

You could interview evil string, but flamingtrout is probably better.

I'm going to interview a LOT. Not just one.

Ok! Can you review my article?

Sure....

http://i42.tinypic.com/20gyvif.jpgPlease leave a message at the beep.
Steam: Hellephant

#28 2009-12-12 12:50:42

littletonkslover
Scratcher

When Scratch first began, many were programmers. They made mainly made games. As the population of Scratch grew, such things became less common. Some people brought there other less related programming intrests to Scratch, like text-based games. One form of those games was RPGing.
       RPG stands for Role-Playing Game. In these games, you can create a character based off your imagination and the character can interact with other user-made characters. Galleries are the most common places to find RPGs, since there is no sixty-second rule, you can post a project showing your characters, and it is connected to the main site, but some people used Scratch forums(although now Scratch has a separate forum for Text-Based Games.) These games are very popular all over the website, and the topics can vary greatly.

That's just the beginning.

http://www.coxlab.org/images/rat_banner.jpg
That's the dark nature of capitalism. ~ Wonder Showzen

#29 2009-12-12 16:24:03

funkymonkey
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

Are you interested in writing a long article for the official Scratch blog?

I'd like to find someone who is interested in writing an article for our blog. In particular, I'd like to have someone who can write a comprehensive article on one of these topics:

a) Scratch companies. Some of the questions you can try to answer (as an example) are: what is the history and present of the different Scratch companies? Which ones have been out there? What have they made? How were they created? How did they evolve? Where are they know? Where are they going? How do companies work and not work? What kind of things have companies done that otherwise would have not been possible?

b) RPG games. Examples of the kind of questions the article can answer are: what exactly are RPGs? What is the history of RPGs in Scratch? What makes Scratch a good place for RPGs, what doesn't? What do Scratch projects add to the RPG experience?

You must be someone who has been in Scratch for a while and who can write a comprehensive article about these topics.  I'd like the article to mention as many  examples as possible with an in depth description of each of them. This probably would require some investigative work (kind of like a reporter). The article should come with images and ideally quotes from some of the participants, perhaps interviews?

If you're interested in doing this, please post a sample short segment of your article, as you would write it. A draft is OK, but also it might be better for you to take your time to write a well written response to this post so you increase the chances. I am not looking for the quick "pick me!" type of message  smile

Also, if you want to collaborate with others in writing this, that is also possible.

Thanks and Scratch on!

I will expand on my little article about Flaming Trout Inc. for you and post it here when I am done

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/hprules_photos/banner2.jpg
Kuzimu: Dawn of a New Age                                                                                                  Coming May 2010

#30 2009-12-13 00:15:54

Chrischb
Scratcher

A bit more of my article... it's now on the third page!  big_smile

Q. What made you decide to start this?
A. Well, at the time -about a year ago- I was really into Greek myths and I still am, so I decided to start this. I started the RPG and like most RP's, no one came. But when you post a comment in a gallery, it goes to the top of the list. So, I commented until Igglepie -Who I think was the first- then Maki-Tak then Imacat and all the others joined.

Q. In your opinion, is Scratch a great place to play an RPG?
A. Scratch is a fantastic place to RP! Practically everyone on scratch is imaginative and nice. And, on Scratch it's easy to communicate with up to date comments and project sharing so you can share drawings.

Q. Do you prefer RPGing in a project or gallery?
A. Definitely on a gallery because if you comment on it, it goes to the top of the list. Good viewing. And, you can add drawings and things to it! Take my word, galleries are definitely effective.

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#31 2009-12-13 00:18:13

Chrischb
Scratcher

littletonkslover wrote:

When Scratch first began, many were programmers. They made mainly made games. As the population of Scratch grew, such things became less common. Some people brought there other less related programming intrests to Scratch, like text-based games. One form of those games was RPGing.
       RPG stands for Role-Playing Game. In these games, you can create a character based off your imagination and the character can interact with other user-made characters. Galleries are the most common places to find RPGs, since there is no sixty-second rule, you can post a project showing your characters, and it is connected to the main site, but some people used Scratch forums(although now Scratch has a separate forum for Text-Based Games.) These games are very popular all over the website, and the topics can vary greatly.

That's just the beginning.

That's great! I'm worried now.  tongue
How long do the articles have to be?

#32 2009-12-13 00:26:44

Chrischb
Scratcher

Are we allowed to post the whole article? Or do we have to stick to a sample?

Last edited by Chrischb (2009-12-13 00:28:51)

#33 2009-12-13 00:28:57

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

I'm finished also!

Do we get to post all of the article?

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2009-12-13 00:29:38)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#34 2009-12-13 01:59:52

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

I want to give more people more time to write their proposals. If you think you're ready to submit the final version feel free to post a link to it here. You can post it on a place like: http://pastebin.com/

I'll check back next week to see how things go.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#35 2009-12-13 02:19:34

Chrischb
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

I want to give more people more time to write their proposals. If you think you're ready to submit the final version feel free to post a link to it here. You can post it on a place like: http://pastebin.com/

I'll check back next week to see how things go.

Thanks!

Last edited by Chrischb (2009-12-13 02:19:54)

#36 2009-12-13 09:37:33

Lucario621
Community Moderator

Here's my article, if you want to use it:

RPGs... it has so much history. Now if you've been in the programming industry, or atleast had Commodore 64 for example, you may know what an RPG. Well on scratch, it is rather different. Here, it is commenting, and/or talking on the forums, like in "WOTF RPGing", a famously known text-based game people played on the forums. This involves using your imagination to talk in a fantasy place. Yet when I think of RPG, and maybe you too, the main thing that comes to mind is an actual RPG game, that involves warriors, and items, and maybe skills or talents, and many quests and goals, and you invade other people's territories.

One example of the type of RPG I know, is this project. In this game by B-Reyn428, you fight a creature multiple times, with a melee, magic, and a special attack. In addition there is a shop. Pretty normal. And there are many of these around the internet, although not in scratch.

Nethertheless, there is also the RPG in the form of a text-based game. In this, many people talk in 3rd person, except when typing in parentheses or double parenthesis called talking "out of character". There is often a setting, and the players talk as if they are real people, from staggering rougues to tiny pixie faries. This allows people to use their imagination and creativity, and enriches their vocabulary a bit.

Focusing on the text-based-RPG, this is wonderful to do on scratch, because there are thousands people with young minds, and children ages (9-12) on the website, that makes it so engaging. As we grow older, we lose this creativity and 'randomness' to us, and rather become more mature, but not always.

Maybe it has just been me, but these type of RPGs haven't been on scratch for such a long time. As I have read from others, people have done it in many different locations, from projects, to galleries, to forums. But the first time it got popular, or atleast I noticed, was when the Text-Based-Games forums came out, and nikkiperson2 created "WOTF RPGing". This was a big hit. It became about 576 pages long, with about 24 or 25 posts each pages. People were even so dedicated, that if they had their DS or DSi, and they were on the go, they would find a Wi-Fi hotspot, and post on the thread. Later after the TBG was closed, and the new one was opened - they re-opened WOTF RPGing, with currently about 40 pages, continuing the tradition.

But where does that lead us? How does that help us with scratch? Well this churns our creative juices, and inspires us to make different projects of art, animation, and more, which basically puts the imagine, in "Imagine, Program, Share".

Please tell me anything to change on this article  smile

Last edited by Lucario621 (2009-12-14 15:30:07)

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#37 2009-12-13 10:34:37

littletonkslover
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

RPGs... it seems that the type of RPGs people are talking about, is just commenting, and/or talking on the forums, like in "WOTF RPGing", a famously known text-based game people played on the forums. Yet when I think of RPG, the only thing that comes to mind is an actual RPG game, that involves warriors, and items, and maybe skills or talents, and many quests and goals, and you invade other people's territories.

One example of the type of RPG I know, is this project. In this game by B-Reyn428, you fight a creature multiple times, with a melee, magic, and a special attack. In addition there is a shop. Pretty normal. And there are many of these around the internet, although not in scratch.

Nethertheless, there is also the RPG in the form of a text-based game. In this, many people talk in 3rd person, except when typing in parentheses or double parenthesis called talking "out of character". There is often a setting, and the players talk as if they are real people, from staggering rougues to tiny pixie faries. This allows people to use their imagination and creativity, and enriches their vocabulary a bit.

Focusing on the text-based-RPG, this is wonderful to do on scratch, because there are often many people with young minds, and people children ages (9-12) on the website, that makes it so engaging. As we grow older, we lose this creativity and 'randomness' to us, and rather become more mature, but not always.

Maybe it has just been me, but these type of RPGs haven't been on scratch for such a long time. As I have read from others, people have done it in many different locations, from projects, to galleries, to forums. But the first time it got popular, or atleast I noticed, was when the Text-Based-Games forums came out, and nikkiperson2 created "WOTF RPGing". This was a big hit. It became about 576 pages long, with about 24 or 25 posts each pages. People were even so dedicated, that if they had their DS or DSi, and they were on the go, they would find a Wi-Fi hotspot, and post on the thread. Later after the TBG was closed, and the new one was opened - they re-opened WOTF RPGing, with currently about 40 pages, continuing the tradition.

But where does that lead us? How does that help us with scratch? Well this churns our creative juices, and inspires us to make different projects of art, animation, and more, which basically puts the imagine, in "Imagine, Program, Share".

Nice. Now I'M scared XD

Wait-how old are you? I'm 11.

Last edited by littletonkslover (2009-12-13 10:35:08)

#38 2009-12-13 10:46:19

littletonkslover
Scratcher

One of the oldest and more popular RPGs is Warriors of the Forest RPG, or WOTF for short. This RPG can be found both in it's gallery, and it's Text-Based Games topic.

Still in progress.....

#39 2009-12-13 12:27:07

Lucario621
Community Moderator

littletonkslover wrote:

Lucario621 wrote:

RPGs... it seems that the type of RPGs people are talking about, is just commenting, and/or talking on the forums, like in "WOTF RPGing", a famously known text-based game people played on the forums. Yet when I think of RPG, the only thing that comes to mind is an actual RPG game, that involves warriors, and items, and maybe skills or talents, and many quests and goals, and you invade other people's territories.

Focusing on the text-based-RPG, this is wonderful to do on scratch, because there are often many people with young minds, and people children ages (9-12) on the website, that makes it so engaging. As we grow older, we lose this creativity and 'randomness' to us, and rather become more mature, but not always.

Nice. Now I'M scared XD

Wait-how old are you? I'm 11.

I'm 11 > big_smile

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#40 2009-12-13 16:49:25

pinochio
Scratcher

You really should tell people to ask for parents permission

Flat Out G

#41 2009-12-13 17:40:48

littletonkslover
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

You really should tell people to ask for parents permission

For what? Writing a "story?"

#42 2009-12-13 21:41:54

funkymonkey
Scratcher

Lucario621 wrote:

i think it's supposed to be longer than that

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff67/hprules_photos/banner2.jpg
Kuzimu: Dawn of a New Age                                                                                                  Coming May 2010

#43 2009-12-13 22:34:29

Chrischb
Scratcher

I'll share mine.  smile

I'll post it here too, but with the Code BBcode. It saves space.  smile

Code:

As a large and growing community, the Scratch Website contains many collaborations. Users have worked together to bring games, companies, contests, and much more to everyone’s ears.
The Scratch Website is home to more, however. With so many users online, it became the perfect place to play RPGs. Users are always conversing with each other, playing Scratch-related games or others.
RPGs have their roots in Scratch. Because of their creative and appealing value, many users join them daily. There are an estimated 500 RPGs out there of any sort, all of which have their varying qualities.

Among the first RPGs are the projects that allow the player to roam the programmed land. Unfortunately, you could not interact with other users.
The projects were improved to include more features, with perhaps some characters to wander about and speak to the player. Combat was common, and the other players would often attack you.
They grew in size, and many were played by a large amount of the Scratch community. Despite the single-player content, they proved popular and were recognized. But the lack of interaction with other players was a barrier, and that led to galleries.

A gallery is a place where a collection of projects can be added. When galleries were used as an RPG ground, you could submit an application project to the gallery. It helped encourage the setting, and then users would come and play.
The amount of contribution is astonishing. Some RPGs have over fifty pages of comments, and thirty different players. Some are smaller, but still are popular. Some are un-played, but nobody minds –– they than start a new one!

The theme of an RPG can vary. [i]The Guardians[/i] is an RPG about packs of wolves that explore a large land. It also has other creatures, some real and some mythical.
Another RPG, [i]Greek Mythology RPG[/i], is where you can create your magical character and roam ancient Greece. There are dragons, gods, warriors –– the content of an RPG is endless.

But in the forums, RPGs had begun to form along with games. Eventually, there were enough that a whole forum was provided. RPGs were springing up every day, and many users remarked at the amount; it was even suggested that a whole forum was provided for them all. It was not made, but that was fine; the RPGs were causing no harm.
They were becoming immensely popular. One of them, [i]WOTF RPGing[/i] (Warriors of the Forest), became the largest thread in all of the forums, with 576 pages and 14377 posts.

One thing is clear: RPGs are everywhere. Scratch is the perfect place to RPG, with many users going online every day. Projects, galleries, and forum threads all are widely used –– and they will keep on going.

J0j2, the founder of [i]Greek Mythology RPG[/i], has answered some questions.

Q. What made you decide to start this?
A. Well, at the time –– about a year ago –– I was really into Greek myths and I still am, so I decided to start this. I started the RPG and like most RP’s, no one came. But when you post a comment in a gallery, it goes to the top of the list. So, I commented until Igglepie –– who I think was the first –– then Maki-Tak then Imacat and all the others joined.

Q. In your opinion, is Scratch a great place to play an RPG?
A. Scratch is a fantastic place to RP! Practically everyone on scratch is imaginative and nice. And, on Scratch it's easy to communicate with up to date comments and project sharing so you can share drawings.

Q. Do you prefer RPGing in a project or gallery?
A. Definitely on a gallery because if you comment on it, it goes to the top of the list. Good viewing. And, you can add drawings and things to it! Take my word, galleries are definitely effective.

Q. Would you rather RPG in a gallery or forum thread?
A. Good question. Galleries are much easier to customize and show work in, but forums are way more up to date and take less time loading. But the only problem is they have the '60 second' rule most of the time to keep spammers out. So, I might say a gallery, but whatever floats your boat.

Q. Are you pleased with your RPG?
A. I am very, very pleased with my gallery, but this isn’t my gallery. It’s everyone who’s on and might be on’s gallery, and I love the storylines and turn of events.

Q. Do you have anything to say about RPGs?
A. About RPGs. Let me see. Well, some tips. Before you start an RPG, think out the name, and before publishing, ask yourself, are you really going to be into this a year from now or do you REALLY want it to catch on, because, there are 3 types or RPGs. 1. The one that someone makes and it fails and dies. 2. One that catches on but the creator has lost interest. 3. The RPG that the owner is well involved in and may be small or huge. So, if this is an RPG you really want to catch and you're very passionate about it, start your storyline and you’ll get some members. Don't worry, it may take a few days, maybe a week, but you'll have a great RPG and a great time. :)

RPGs are a great way of socializing with other users. Many have made friends that way, and many have become addicted.
If you do not take part in any, you can try either making your own or playing one. To help, here are tips from the players:

TimeFreeze stated:
-When you are making an RPG, try making it as user-friendly as possible, and easy to play, without even looking at the instructions.

-Don't forget the basic stats: Strength (how powerful), Agility (the speed of the delay after each attack, the higher agility, the shorter the delay), Dexterity (accuracy), Intelligence (perhaps used to outsmart foes in non-combat. Ex: A horde of zombies is coming, and there is a car, but no keys. If you have a high enough intelligence, you can hotwire it.), Luck (chance of a critical hit. Higher the luck, higher the chance).

Jonathanpb stated: When you make an RPG, be creative and use your imagination. It's like a market, where you're trying to attract customers to buy your product. It's practically the same. Also, there must be something interesting about it that makes the players want to continue.
Be creative, and don't give up!

RPGs are becoming big in Scratch. You can start your own, too! It can be a project, gallery, or forum thread… either way, make it great.

Last edited by Chrischb (2009-12-13 22:46:07)

#44 2009-12-14 04:14:52

Chrischb
Scratcher

Now I got it submitted... Link.

#45 2009-12-14 04:15:01

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Okay, I've submitted my article. My article

I can't wait to see your articles, everyone!  smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#46 2009-12-14 04:53:43

fanofcena
Scratcher

my example for the option ( i wrote it in  less then 3 mins so kinda messup)

I wrote (a bit) wrote:

a) Scratch Companies
Scratch companies are probably "open source" development group which consists of some Programmers,Art designers,Graphic Artists,Musicians generally these work on SOHO kinda fundamental supporting and helping each other to create masterpeice some examples of scratch companies are DG games (probably the biggest company ever), kami studios,Flaming trout . Generally a scratch company starts with two or 3 developers helping each other in a project under a logo and if the project goes fine the company goes better and better.As for example DG games started when DeltaLord And ChaoticD started to work under the same banner soon chris , Nxtgeek , Bobfred and others joined and the company was going better and better another example of it is Kami Studios in which Extremos worked as a base and then Jsbwalker and others joined.
You check the works of these companies on their websites or on their respective scratch galleries.

As said earlier companies work on the cooperative architecture
as for example in DG games
The programming Part is done by -> TechnoMan , Deltalord, ChaoticD and sometimes me and Bobfred and Chris
Chris is the incharge of the web presentation of DG .
I , Nxtgeek and Illusionist do the artwork and graphic stuff
The_flaming_duck is our music designer.

The cooperation among developer saves precious time when doing a project that makes it even better.
Generally developing in a company removes burden off from u and thats the best part in general if u wanted to create a Project like Crisis by KAMI Studios (underdevelpment) or Space Shoom Series (by DG games ) u would have taken  a lot of effort creating it a bit but due to community based development A scratch Companies increases the quality of Scratching

btw andresmh can we have a Powerpoint slideshow applet on site i am making a scratch tutorial Presentation on Microsoft Powerpoint 2007 for my school i think it could help young or new scratchers to learn scratch easily

Last edited by fanofcena (2009-12-14 04:54:15)

http://i53.tinypic.com/2vxr2c0.png Click whats above u might make a cute planet happy ^_^

#47 2009-12-15 15:32:13

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Is anyone going to submit anything?  hmm

-Charlotte Brontë

#48 2009-12-21 01:02:08

Chrischb
Scratcher

Hello, Scratch Team. Didn't you want an article? There are several here, waiting for you to notice them.

#49 2009-12-21 01:21:31

cocoanut
Scratcher

You and Jonathanpb are like the only ones who've submitted anything...  lol  50% chance for you right there.

http://i42.tinypic.com/20gyvif.jpgPlease leave a message at the beep.
Steam: Hellephant

#50 2009-12-21 23:25:00

Chrischb
Scratcher

cocoanut wrote:

You and Jonathanpb are like the only ones who've submitted anything...  lol  50% chance for you right there.

Hahaha... let me find my Percent-raise-machine.

Board footer