This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2009-11-27 20:09:49

greenflash
Scratcher

Re: Remove top remixed

I support. Did you know that those "add your _________" projects only came into being after top remixed was made?

andresmh wrote:

1. Remix chains. These are very interesting because I think they started to be popular only after we put Top Remixed on the front page. These are the kind of projects that ask people to add something and remix or to support some cause by remixing.

(from http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=22286)

Also, on a somewhat unrelated topic, you know how top loved is now "What the Community is Loving"? How come top remixed didn't change?

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wrkirk.pnghttp://i46.tinypic.com/6r5zk7.pnghttp://i45.tinypic.com/2vtxr1t.png

#27 2009-11-27 20:27:45

pinochio
Scratcher

greenflash wrote:

I support. Did you know that those "add your _________" projects only came into being after top remixed was made?

andresmh wrote:

1. Remix chains. These are very interesting because I think they started to be popular only after we put Top Remixed on the front page. These are the kind of projects that ask people to add something and remix or to support some cause by remixing.

(from http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=22286)

Also, on a somewhat unrelated topic, you know how top loved is now "What the Community is Loving"? How come top remixed didn't change?

It would be: What the community is remixing... Weird...

Flat Out G

#28 2009-11-28 00:22:06

Chrischb
Scratcher

Please add me to the list.

Here's what I think:

It's just a way to find out what remix chains are the most popular at the moment. Scratch was built for easy remixing, but that's not what was wanted - what they wanted was creative remixes. Adding your anthro/character/whatever is not creative at all.

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#29 2009-11-28 00:47:20

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Of course I support it! It's just an easy way to find the most popular remix chains!

I was thinking about suggesting this a few days ago...

Chrischb wrote:

It's just a way to find out what remix chains are the most popular at the moment. Scratch was built for easy remixing, but that's not what was wanted - what they wanted was creative remixes. Adding your anthro/character/whatever is not creative at all.

Exactly.

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#30 2009-11-28 02:42:16

fanofcena
Scratcher

Aye me support too the top downloaded was better then top remixed

Last edited by fanofcena (2009-11-28 02:42:31)

http://i53.tinypic.com/2vxr2c0.png Click whats above u might make a cute planet happy ^_^

#31 2009-11-28 03:19:50

Chrischb
Scratcher

fanofcena wrote:

Aye me support too the top downloaded was better then top remixed

That's a good point!

I do miss the Top Downloaded. *sniff*  sad

#32 2009-11-28 11:17:06

pinochio
Scratcher

Why did they delte top downloaded? Was it because people downloaded their own stuff? Because if they did that, their computer would be really slow!

Flat Out G

#33 2009-11-28 11:31:04

DawnLight
Scratcher

Well, I would of agreed with taking off "Top Remixed" but then I thought. If they took off that section then It would seem like Collaboration projects are discouraged. I think the Top-Remixed section is great because it teaches others how to work with each other. Without it Collaboration would be partly hard to do (In a way...). Sorry about not going with majority.  cool

#34 2009-11-28 11:56:13

technoguyx
Scratcher

gettysburg11 wrote:

Ah yes, I would like Top Remixed ousted from the front page. I'm pretty sure the Scratch team saw good when they came up with it, since they support remixing, but I'm afraid it hasn't worked. What they saw then were people remixing great games into greater games. What we see now are projects saying "add yurself duin a dance" projects that have absolutely no value to anyone except those people who are desperate to get popular and make one of those projects to get front page.

Exactly what I think, I agree.

ScratchX wrote:

pinochio wrote:

guyman55 wrote:

its jsut dumb to make top remixes to get on boards makes peeps jelous

I have no idea what you just said. Can someone translate?

yoz man i totullaz fosizzle undastanderz yuz guyman555 nah just kidding  tongue
i think he says...It's just dumb to make projects that get on the front page on front wah? uhhh peeps jealous umm ....i quit tranlating this! its impossible!!!!! ahhh!!!!

What he meant was that it's just dumb to encourage remixing to get in a board, since it makes people jealous.

Last edited by technoguyx (2009-11-28 11:58:13)

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#35 2009-11-28 12:05:50

pinochio
Scratcher

DawnLight wrote:

Well, I would of agreed with taking off "Top Remixed" but then I thought. If they took off that section then It would seem like Collaboration projects are discouraged. I think the Top-Remixed section is great because it teaches others how to work with each other. Without it Collaboration would be partly hard to do (In a way...). Sorry about not going with majority.  cool

Thats exactly what i think, which is why we are proposing a 'featured remix' section  smile

Flat Out G

#36 2009-11-28 12:07:57

Lucario621
Community Moderator

DawnLight wrote:

I think you're mistaking collaboration with possibly something else, because collaboration is working as a team to make a project, but Top Remixed is only really used for Remix Chains, and contests.

http://i.imgur.com/WBkM2QQ.png

#37 2009-11-28 12:08:44

DawnLight
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

DawnLight wrote:

Thats exactly what i think, which is why we are proposing a 'featured remix' section  smile

Even if the "Featured Remix" section is applied it will be the same thing it is just the name of the section will change.

#38 2009-11-28 12:10:58

pinochio
Scratcher

DawnLight wrote:

pinochio wrote:

DawnLight wrote:

Even if the "Featured Remix" section is applied it will be the same thing it is just the name of the section will change.

No. Because the scratch team would feature Collaborations, which are never on top remixed.

Flat Out G

#39 2009-11-28 15:33:59

Rainstorm2
Scratcher

I agree with The_whiz. There should be a "featured remix" section.

NOM NOM NOM NOM BABIES                                                                                      Rainstorm2 Roaming scratch since '07 Yeah!
Generation 1 Every time you see this, add 1 to the generation and put it on your sig!  Social Test!

#40 2009-11-28 15:36:06

pinochio
Scratcher

Rainstorm2 wrote:

Do you agree with removing top remixed?

Flat Out G

#41 2009-11-29 02:20:33

Chrischb
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

Rainstorm2 wrote:

I still like the idea, but a Featured Remix section sounds promising. It could take the Top Remixed's place.

How often would it be updated, though?

#42 2009-11-29 04:16:43

filo5
Scratcher

Weekly? Something like that? Take the best remix of a featured project and put it under the original project...

Get rid of top remixed, agreed.

Converting my Scratch projects to Python!

#43 2009-11-29 09:54:23

pinochio
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

pinochio wrote:

Rainstorm2 wrote:

I still like the idea, but a Featured Remix section sounds promising. It could take the Top Remixed's place.

How often would it be updated, though?

I would say once every week. 3 projects that are interesting to remix, chosen by the scratch team for other people to remix!

Flat Out G

#44 2009-11-29 10:09:55

scratch_yoshi
Scratcher

I agree! Projects like "Add your character dancing!" are really pointless. I also thing that there should be a "Featured Projects" row. Agreed 100%!

Retired from Scratch, but just the language itself. Not the forums.

#45 2009-11-29 12:14:37

pinochio
Scratcher

scratch_yoshi wrote:

I agree! Projects like "Add your character dancing!" are really pointless. I also thing that there should be a "Featured Projects" row. Agreed 100%!

Exactly!

Flat Out G

#46 2009-11-29 12:29:34

somelia
Scratcher

I agree, top remixed should be removed. That is, unless people start remixing good games to make greater games, or a really clever "add yourself". I just make "pointless projects" for the fun of it, not to get top remixed or anything.

#47 2009-11-29 21:54:53

Chrischb
Scratcher

somelia wrote:

I agree, top remixed should be removed. That is, unless people start remixing good games to make greater games, or a really clever "add yourself". I just make "pointless projects" for the fun of it, not to get top remixed or anything.

Well said. The Top Remixed would be a very good section to have only if the projects were those that inspired creativity. Not scribbling your anthro/character/whatever in a few minutes.

#48 2009-11-29 22:03:19

pinochio
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

somelia wrote:

Well said. The Top Remixed would be a very good section to have only if the projects were those that inspired creativity. Not scribbling your anthro/character/whatever in a few minutes.

Agreed! Which is why featured remix would work perfectly! I also think they could replace suprise projects with top remixed...

Flat Out G

#49 2009-11-29 22:12:17

Chrischb
Scratcher

pinochio wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

somelia wrote:

Agreed! Which is why featured remix would work perfectly! I also think they could replace suprise projects with top remixed...

Um... you swapped it.

Don't you mean "replace Top Remixed with Surprise Projects"?

#50 2009-11-30 07:57:02

pinochio
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

pinochio wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

Um... you swapped it.

Don't you mean "replace Top Remixed with Surprise Projects"?

Oops. I get confused sometimes  tongue

Flat Out G

Board footer