This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-12-12 09:04:59

jagnobli
Scratcher

Intercultural Game Development

Hi folks,

I am a research assistant at the University of Hamburg, Germany at the department of computer science. Together with a grammar school, I have started a project that is focused on game development with kids at the age of 13-17 years. There is one important constraint in the project: I told the kids that the game should have an intercultural topic or as the case may be should communicate intercultural values.

I am of the opinion that kids at this age are highly envolved in entertaining and spectacular games but do not like to join games labeled with 'edutainment'. In developing games together with those kids, I hope that we dicover scenarios for games that are entertaining (in their sence) but also try to communicate intercultural values (that concern them).

Of course scratch is not an environment that is able to develop spectacular games as mentioned before. Scratch however will be the first choice for fast prototyping...

There is a first prototype of a little game (unfortunately in german; english version will follow) that was developed by 5 kids in 4 days.
I would appreciate if someone could have a look at it. Comments are very welcome!
http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/jagnobli/65913
(By the way: file size is 6,5 MB, sometimes loading takes some time, I wonder if this is a common problem?)

The game was developed during a one week project at the school. Right now we are planning to continue the project once a week.
I am planning on further projects at other schools as well.

Please share your ideas about this project  smile

Regards
Timo

#2 2007-12-13 05:29:31

jagnobli
Scratcher

Re: Intercultural Game Development

For those of you who are 'afraid' of the german language:
We also have an english version now, visit http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/jagnobli/66390

Thank you.

Board footer