This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2009-11-06 21:29:34

Greatdane
Scratcher

Re: Let's get the "Disappearing Text" problem solved!

EUREKA! I HAVE FOUND IT!

It is linked to the RAM and computer usage. People say when they have a lot of art or lots of scripting, or lots of Scratch applications, it crashes.

Why? RAM is short for Random Access Memory, which applications use to hold temporary information, which Scratch does a lot. This is why because of more information is used, Scratch 'hiccups' and starts acting weirdly.

Why wasn't it in previous versions of Scratch? The current versions are the ones who are the most complicated, which require more RAM. Or, Scratchers got advanced enough to build such complex applications.

Why doesn't it happen to other users? It all depends on how much RAM they have and how well their version of Scratch and their operating system handles it. Mac OS is much better than Windows at handling this information.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
        ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

#27 2009-11-07 03:50:20

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Greatdane wrote:

EUREKA! I HAVE FOUND IT!

It is linked to the RAM and computer usage. People say when they have a lot of art or lots of scripting, or lots of Scratch applications, it crashes.

Why? RAM is short for Random Access Memory, which applications use to hold temporary information, which Scratch does a lot. This is why because of more information is used, Scratch 'hiccups' and starts acting weirdly.

Why wasn't it in previous versions of Scratch? The current versions are the ones who are the most complicated, which require more RAM. Or, Scratchers got advanced enough to build such complex applications.

Why doesn't it happen to other users? It all depends on how much RAM they have and how well their version of Scratch and their operating system handles it. Mac OS is much better than Windows at handling this information.

Sounds like a good theory - but Larry828 says he was monitoring RAM usage and still had plenty left even while experiencing the issue. 

Do you have a set of steps that anybody can follow that will reproduce the problem?  That would be very helpful.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#28 2009-11-07 03:52:26

deatheater
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Greatdane wrote:

EUREKA! I HAVE FOUND IT!

Sounds like a good theory - but Larry828 says he was monitoring RAM usage and still had plenty left even while experiencing the issue. 

Do you have a set of steps that anybody can follow that will reproduce the problem?  That would be very helpful.

Perhaps it could also be connected to the processor as well

#29 2009-11-07 04:01:41

what-the
Scratcher

deatheater wrote:

Paddle2See wrote:

Greatdane wrote:

EUREKA! I HAVE FOUND IT!

Perhaps it could also be connected to the processor as well

Don't think it could be the processor it happend to me and my processor runs it using less than 10% with big projects and thats the same with the ram and there's plenty of  and virtual ram as well.

http://imageshack.us/m/64/9034/ddfss.pngMy site
Find someone post count. Click posts under username. Find number of pages. Times that by 40 for min and 60 for max and you have a rough estimate of post count.

#30 2009-11-08 00:29:53

Chrischb
Scratcher

Good to see some action happening.  smile
But sadly, I'm not good at these discussions. I'll leave you to it.

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#31 2009-11-08 00:52:12

Greatdane
Scratcher

Paddle2See wrote:

Greatdane wrote:

EUREKA! I HAVE FOUND IT!

What kind of operating system does he use? The bug might be on certain ones.

~ Eleanor Roosevelt

#32 2009-11-08 00:53:32

Greatdane
Scratcher

I guess it is connected to the processor as well. Sometimes, however, Scratch 'hiccups' on its own. Maybe it may be the graphics card?

~ Eleanor Roosevelt

#33 2009-11-08 05:24:05

what-the
Scratcher

I found another way it happens if you go to upload a project and then cancel it

Find someone post count. Click posts under username. Find number of pages. Times that by 40 for min and 60 for max and you have a rough estimate of post count.

#34 2009-11-08 05:29:51

Chrischb
Scratcher

I'll put you in the list, what-the.  smile

#35 2009-11-08 05:31:29

Chrischb
Scratcher

what-the wrote:

Hmm... I tried it, but I didn't get it.  hmm

#36 2009-11-08 16:19:33

somelia
Scratcher

I clicked on one of my sprites and ---WHOOOOOOSH------all my text disappeared.

#37 2009-11-08 23:38:14

what-the
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

what-the wrote:

Hmm... I tried it, but I didn't get it.  hmm

must be me. only the text in looks section went but everything else was fine

#38 2009-11-08 23:59:00

greenflash
Scratcher

I have a particularly weird case:

•I was typing in the paint editor, boom! Some of the text dissapeared. I hit ok, and closed the project, and it asked me to save, so I did. The rest of the text dissappeared.
•It had about five sprites, most of them had text. (I managed to upload it if you want to see it: Project in Question)
•I closed the project repeatedly and the text kept disappearing. I had to do this six or seven times untill I had all the text I needed typed in. It took about 2 minutes before it dissapeared after I opened the project.

I was also had internet explorer, itunes, powerpoint, and word open. I closed a few of the windows and it still dissapeared. Then I tried opening another scratch project and making the text disappear in that project and it didn't work. So I closed all the windows and quickly uploaded it before anything worse happened.

It was really annoying! I hope my information helps, but it completely baffles me!  tongue

Last edited by greenflash (2009-11-08 23:59:32)

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wrkirk.pnghttp://i46.tinypic.com/6r5zk7.pnghttp://i45.tinypic.com/2vtxr1t.png

#39 2009-11-09 01:57:38

Chrischb
Scratcher

You really tried a lot of things... thanks for all the effort!

Now, that's rather interesting. I would have guessed as well that the other applications had something to do with it (and tried it, of course), but the fact that it failed... hmm.

Anyway, I'll put you in the list.  smile

#40 2009-11-11 22:44:40

somelia
Scratcher

I just typed in  the word "text" and it disappeared! Than I tried typing in "cat" and it wouldn't show up, and than with a thrill of horror I realized that it was the bug!

#41 2009-11-11 23:36:27

Chrischb
Scratcher

somelia wrote:

I just typed in  the word "text" and it disappeared! Than I tried typing in "cat" and it wouldn't show up, and than with a thrill of horror I realized that it was the bug!

It didn't happen to me when I tried it... but I'll put you in the list anyway.  smile

#42 2009-11-12 02:01:49

ElPapa
Scratcher

Hmm. This is new to me. Perhaps its something to do with a large file size...?

Spider Monkey is finished! ...Not that any of you will know what I'm talking about, but please check it out.  smile  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/ElPapa/1021823

#43 2009-11-13 21:58:25

somelia
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

somelia wrote:

It didn't happen to me when I tried it... but I'll put you in the list anyway.  smile

Well, probably it was because this sprite has a lot of costumes with text. They were all characters with words on them, and one dude I named Text, and when I finished typing it just wiped out all my text!

#44 2009-11-14 01:20:21

Chrischb
Scratcher

somelia wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

somelia wrote:

Well, probably it was because this sprite has a lot of costumes with text. They were all characters with words on them, and one dude I named Text, and when I finished typing it just wiped out all my text!

There are so many possibilities!

#45 2009-11-14 12:37:34

somelia
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

somelia wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

I had over 30 costumes in it...do you think so?

#46 2009-11-14 22:52:18

Chrischb
Scratcher

somelia wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

somelia wrote:

I had over 30 costumes in it...do you think so?

It could be anything.  hmm

But for this discussion, it would be better to ask the Scratch Team.

#47 2009-11-19 04:19:56

fanofcena
Scratcher

now i have seen that the text problem occured only after the addition of truetype fonts on Scratch .the problem lies somewhere in the true type code (can i get a link to source code). For further i experimented I will need u all to also test this and report if u found it.
Start Scratch.
Start creating meaningless text filled sprites with some picture background .
now when u have done with nearly 50 start editing them unmeaningfully again.
after doing this for sometimes when u press backspace and space u might get the bug
If happened very often to me.by this procedure,
The other reason might be the old programming bug called garbage value(I dont think that seriosly it would be)

WELL THE THING THAT SUPPORTS IS IT DOSENT HAPPENS ON 1.2 and Older

http://i53.tinypic.com/2vxr2c0.png Click whats above u might make a cute planet happy ^_^

#48 2009-11-19 23:43:42

Chrischb
Scratcher

fanofcena wrote:

now i have seen that the text problem occured only after the addition of truetype fonts on Scratch .the problem lies somewhere in the true type code (can i get a link to source code). For further i experimented I will need u all to also test this and report if u found it.
Start Scratch.
Start creating meaningless text filled sprites with some picture background .
now when u have done with nearly 50 start editing them unmeaningfully again.
after doing this for sometimes when u press backspace and space u might get the bug
If happened very often to me.by this procedure,
The other reason might be the old programming bug called garbage value(I dont think that seriosly it would be)

WELL THE THING THAT SUPPORTS IS IT DOSENT HAPPENS ON 1.2 and Older

Yes, 1.3 was when it started. That was when they changed the font system.

Anyway, I'll put you in the list.

#49 2009-11-21 15:52:18

Greatdane
Scratcher

ALERT ALERT!

It strikes again! I was using JUST Scratch, ONLY Scratch. It was using 93% or the system's RAM and memory. That just proves my theory. It was a big and complicated Scratch-OS, and was, well, big.

~ Eleanor Roosevelt

#50 2009-11-22 00:59:02

Chrischb
Scratcher

Greatdane wrote:

ALERT ALERT!

It strikes again! I was using JUST Scratch, ONLY Scratch. It was using 93% or the system's RAM and memory. That just proves my theory. It was a big and complicated Scratch-OS, and was, well, big.

You've got a very good point.  smile

I remember your earlier post, which was on a similar idea - but once again, "hmm".

Added to the list.

Board footer