This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-10-17 00:54:05

Chrischb
Scratcher

Let's get the "Disappearing Text" problem solved!

Many of us have experienced the disappearing text problem. You're doing your business, and suddenly: it strikes.

Nobody knows what causes it, so it has been here for quite a while. It has happened so often that there is a sticky explaining what to do when it happens!

So, let's get it fixed. If it happens to you, do the following:

•Post when it happened. (When I clicked OK in the paint editor, when I saved, when I clicked the green flag, etc..)
•Post characteristics about your project. (It has a lot of sprites, it's very large, it has a lot of scripting, etc..)
•Were you doing anything odd? Post it. (I was connecting a large script, I was repeatedly clicking the File button, I was running the Internet at the same time, etc..)

You may not think that your posts will help, but if a lot of posts are sent, maybe there could be a connection!

A link to JSO's sticky: What to do when all text disappears...

A useful post by Jonathanpb:

Jonathanpb wrote:

JSO wrote:

The Scratch team has tracked it down a little bit.

johnm wrote:

It's a bug in the underlying text 
rendering code (written in C), and so far we have not been able to 
track it down. It's difficult to even reproduce it reliably.

It means it's in the UnicodePlugin.dll and not in the Squeak Scratch source code...  sad

johnm wrote:

If you'd like to try to debug the problem, the Unicode plugin source code can be downloaded from the Plugins section of this page:

http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Source_Code

It's a very difficult bug. Good luck!

Get it? It's not from the Scratch source code... it's in the Unicode source code. If you want to try and find the bug, look in the Unicode source code.

A useful post from fanofcena:

fanofcena wrote:

Well i got an update a gr8 update i think the file that is bugging is the  unicode ops file well i m not sure but good programmers should see its coding it has a lot of complications it may be returning a garbage value instead

_________________________________________________________________________________
Notes.................try and find a connection!

Chrischb wrote:

•I saved, and it happened.
•I clicked OK in the paint editor, and it happened.

•It has four sprites.
•It has a small amount of scripting.
•It has a lot of pixel art.

•Nothing I can think of.

what-the wrote:

I've seen it before but it only happens to me when there are two or more Scratch applications open, there side by side and they are overlaping a little & i'm constantly changing between them. This also causes scratch have a blank space where they overlaped if I move them and if I fullscreen one, the border goes to the edge of the screen but scratch doesn't resize leaving a big white space on my screen.

It happens with any sized projects.
It happens with and without other programs running.
It can happen when I try to do any sort of editing this includes pressing buttons. the save button is the one that causes it to happen the most for me

06dknibbs wrote:

One small solution I noticed, after It continued to happen. If I saved the file under a different name before closing it, the text stayed.

I seemed to get it at the start when I went into presentation mode.

I will also add, my Sphere project still seems to contain the glitch even if you download it. Maybe you could have a look at it and see if you can figure anything out?

SHADOWDARK2 wrote:

I have Scratch 1.4 and the same thing happens

* I start Scracth
* Make a Sprite With a Lot of Text on it
* I hit the undo button
* then the text dissapears

Jonathanpb wrote:

I get it when I save the Scratch project or save a costume/background with text after typing the text (not editing it).

Greatdane wrote:

I had vista and used Chrome, and it happened.

I don't remember when or where I heard this, but I think it's a reaction of Scratch to either:
-Too much memory usage
-Too much application at the same time
-Too much clicking, playing around
Something like that. I think it's related to the processor. Can maybe you guys give a processor? I have an AMD 64-bit. I was using the drawer tool. I'm using Vista, and Scratch 1.4.

A link to a breakthrough thread: Breakthrough

what-the wrote:

I found another way it happens if you go to upload a project and then cancel it

greenflash wrote:

I have a particularly weird case:

•I was typing in the paint editor, boom! Some of the text dissapeared. I hit ok, and closed the project, and it asked me to save, so I did. The rest of the text dissappeared.
•It had about five sprites, most of them had text. (I managed to upload it if you want to see it: Project in Question)
•I closed the project repeatedly and the text kept disappearing. I had to do this six or seven times untill I had all the text I needed typed in. It took about 2 minutes before it dissapeared after I opened the project.

I was also had internet explorer, itunes, powerpoint, and word open. I closed a few of the windows and it still dissapeared. Then I tried opening another scratch project and making the text disappear in that project and it didn't work. So I closed all the windows and quickly uploaded it before anything worse happened.

It was really annoying! I hope my information helps, but it completely baffles me!  tongue

somelia wrote:

I just typed in  the word "text" and it disappeared! Than I tried typing in "cat" and it wouldn't show up, and than with a thrill of horror I realized that it was the bug!

fanofcena wrote:

now i have seen that the text problem occured only after the addition of truetype fonts on Scratch .the problem lies somewhere in the true type code (can i get a link to source code). For further i experimented I will need u all to also test this and report if u found it.
Start Scratch.
Start creating meaningless text filled sprites with some picture background .
now when u have done with nearly 50 start editing them unmeaningfully again.
after doing this for sometimes when u press backspace and space u might get the bug
If happened very often to me.by this procedure,
The other reason might be the old programming bug called garbage value(I dont think that seriosly it would be)

WELL THE THING THAT SUPPORTS IS IT DOSENT HAPPENS ON 1.2 and Older

Greatdane wrote:

ALERT ALERT!

It strikes again! I was using JUST Scratch, ONLY Scratch. It was using 93% or the system's RAM and memory. That just proves my theory. It was a big and complicated Scratch-OS, and was, well, big.

darthatr0n wrote:

This doesn't just happen with Scratch. My computer does it randomly. It doesn't happen very often. One time I was playing a game called Motherload and then my computer slowed down and the text started going. The way I fix this every time is to restart my computer by pressing and holding the power button for 4 seconds. VERY ANNOYING!!!

jackrulez wrote:

It happened. I was filling in a survey project, and I was in the paint editor. I had typed all of the text I neeed in the costume and was drawing when BOOM! the text was gone. I tried to retype it, but it didn't work. I closed the paint editor then realized that there was no text at all. The only two programs tht were running were Scratch and the Internet. I closed Scratch, reopened it. Still no text. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!  sad

ThePCKid wrote:

I pressed enter too many times in the paint editor, and it happend

ThePCKid wrote:

I held down the enter button a second too long. The only text was "ThePCKid". It was the only application running. I'm running Windows Vista SP1 (I REALLY WANNA GET WINDOWS 7!!!!!)

fg123 wrote:

It usually happens in my Xenotype. When I edit a window with lot's of text for a long time, KA-BOOM. Text dissappears.
INFO:
PROGRAMS RUNNING: SCRATCH, FIREFOX
PROJECT SIZE: APPROX. 40 sprites 80 scripts

Jonathanpb wrote:

I got the bug! In a way I haven't gotten it before.

I was dragging the black box used to position your text. I was slowly moving it around (I wanted it six pixels below something), and in the middle of it, the text suddenly vanished!

Has anyone else ever gotten the text bug while dragging the box?

fanofcena wrote:

well i got it again i was copying a same thing and BANG the thing dissappeard with all the text next after 2 - 3 seconds scratch crashed

rdococ wrote:

Happennd when i was working on my must-download-to-use Stream comments (within scratch 1.4 RC)
I have 200 and something GB of memory and it sill happens!  yikes
I have like 200 and something less than what is my memory for scratch to use
I only had 3 programs on  yikes

rdococ wrote:

Memory: 200 and something GB
Memory for scratch to use: 100 and something GB
When I was working on a comment using 1.4RC, KA-KA-KA-KA-KA-KA-KA-KA-KA-BOOM! The text dissapeard! Even the bars, menu text,  and all pieces of Scratch Dissapeard!
This one is like the "All of Scratch dissapearing/vanishing" bug!

pinochio wrote:

It only happens to me when I have A LOT of text!

markyparky56 wrote:

I was typing
I have a lot of scritping
I have a lot of sprites
I have a lot of graphics
I have some sounds
I took some screen shots on how to fix it.
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=291527

Chatter wrote:

It happens a lot to me. I use Windows 7 and it still happens. It's annoying, but here's what I do:

I close it. Then I edit it and the text comes back. It's not so bad except i need to edit every costume.

Vista4563 wrote:

Windows XP.

I'm running 5 programs. When I open up the Scratch Window, all text disappears. Also, I had the upload window open. I saved, opened it up again, then saved two more times to restore text.

domben wrote:

I use windows Vista, and have the latest version of Scratch                                 I got that problem just now, it was a quite small project. Lets think, I had downloaded a project to have a look at the scripts, but when I opened up Scratch, I left the downloaded project up and running. I also had internet explorer on. I was doing a small project (just a little "I can count up to numbers" thing, it had 1 script about 10 cm at the most long, I had 2 variables, I called them (for humor and to confuse people (sorry!) called "blank (as in, the space key pressed)" and a double space key blank thingy. I was using the ask block, and was using the colour orange alot. I opened up the edit thing for my second sprite (I had 2 sprites) Which had a scipt (sorry, forgot about that! I had two scripts in total!) that was just forever, go to front. All the text on Scratch went, I tried saving a picture of the screen, and found all the document names had gone as well. The only text left was (surprisingly) when you do anything saveish, on the left where there's the different folders to go onto (costumes, your user etc.). I unfortunately got so scared and thought it was a virus, so I shut down Scratch immediately. Of course, the writing that said "Scratch" at the top left was still there. This is the first time this has happened for me.   

Hope we can get this fixed!!!!

MyRedNeptune wrote:

Wow...I finally decided to create another project. xD So I opened good ol' Scratch (which was covered in a thick layer of dust as a result of many weeks of abandonment) and after a few minutes of working with it I realized what a pain this bug is.  tongue

It kinda does make you think (considering that it has never emerged before) when the bug starts occuring every...5 seconds. o.o In the end I decided to head to this topic and whine a little. So here it is:

•It occurs spontaneously when I drag a script
•It occurs spontaneously when I click on a number field to change the value
•It occurs spontaneously when I save
•It occurs spontaneously when I switch between sprites
•Most of the time it occurs when I switch between windows
•It never occurs when I press the green flag/stop button

I listed those factors because they are things I do in this project A LOT. It's another transcribed song project, actually. A piano piece, which means that it has a lot of forte/piano madness going on throughout the whole track - so I have to adjust the volume individually for each note and check it every time. There are no text costumes in my project, barely any code...oh, I also have Winamp open in another window, and I switch between the Scratch and Winamp windows constantly.

Well, since I've never had this bug in my other projects before, it's probably got to do with memory and all the stuff running on my computer. The soft needs to be shut down... So I'll go try that now and see what happens.

TheGameMaster1231 wrote:

Well, I Don't Have The Imformation, But I Do Have Something That May Help. Here Is An Example Of What I Am Doing When It Happens To Me: I Have A Project. I Am Working On A, Oh, Lets Say A Game Over Sprite For My Slushy's Big Adventure Game. (Really. I AM Working On A Slushy's Big Adventure Game. And It Actually DID Happen To Me When I Was Doing This.) It Has The Words Game Over, And Then Under The Game Over, It Says: Press The Green Flag Or The 'Enter' Key  To Go Back To The Title Screen. If You Saved Your Progress, Then You Can Continue The Game From The Level You Saved The Game On. : ) And Then I Decided I Want To Underline The Words Game Over. So I Underline The Words Game Over With A White Line. I See That The Line Is Sticking Out Of The Words Game Over About An Inch, So I Decide To Cover That Area With A Black Square. I Finish Covering The Part Of The Line That's Sticking Out And I Let Go Of The Mouse So The Square Stays There. But Then All The Text Is Gone! I Hope This Helps And It Actually Never Happens To Me In Any Other Way. Please Put This Imformation Into Good Use And Please Let It Help You Fix The Glitch!  smile

WeirdF wrote:

A new thing happened to me a few days ago. All the text and everything disappeared, except for a short section on one of my backgrounds. Only a few lines of text survived. Has this happened to anyone else?

cheddargirl wrote:

I've noticed that leaving the 'Project Notes' window open when minimizing Scratch (1.4) window will cause the text to disappear when Scratch is brought up again (this especially occurs with large walls of text).

snikos_scratch wrote:

While developing the project http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/snikos_scratch/914543 on a remote computer using RDT (hosting computer XP SP3, 2 GB; remote comuter Vista Business 64 bits SP2, 4 GB; 100 MBps LAN connection)

somelia wrote:

Gah! I got it again. I was not using lots of text, it suddenly just happened.

benjamin2 wrote:

I was typing an instruction page on a big project (luckily I'd only just started it!) and I only had like a couple scripts and no spirtes and a few backgrounds, then it suddenly happened. I save all the time now.

jeromi wrote:

I was editing a *cannot remember* project and the File Edit Share Help menus disappeared when i mouse over them. Same happened with everything else involving text. I clicked the invisible file menu, and i clicked the non existing save button and opened up scratch again and everything was fine.

Last edited by Chrischb (2010-05-04 02:20:46)

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#2 2009-10-17 00:55:36

Chrischb
Scratcher

Re: Let's get the "Disappearing Text" problem solved!

I'll start...

•I saved, and it happened.
•I clicked OK in the paint editor, and it happened.

•It has four sprites.
•It has a small amount of scripting.
•It has a lot of pixel art.

•Nothing I can think of.

#3 2009-10-17 04:33:12

JSO
Community Moderator

Hmm this is a very useful topic. I'm placing a link in the stickied thread hoping that more people will see it.

I can't remember the exact situation anymore so sorry  sad

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2v1q0e9.jpg

#4 2009-10-17 04:51:23

Chrischb
Scratcher

JSO wrote:

Hmm this is a very useful topic. I'm placing a link in the stickied thread hoping that more people will see it.

I can't remember the exact situation anymore so sorry  sad

Thanks for the help! And it's okay if you don't remember.

#5 2009-10-17 07:52:20

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

I've never encountered the disappearing text problem...

#6 2009-10-17 09:11:42

what-the
Scratcher

I've seen it before but it only happens to me when there are two or more Scratch applications open, there side by side and they are overlaping a little & i'm constantly changing between them. This also causes scratch have a blank space where they overlaped if I move them and if I fullscreen one, the border goes to the edge of the screen but scratch doesn't resize leaving a big white space on my screen.

It happens with any sized projects.
It happens with and without other programs running.
It can happen when I try to do any sort of editing this includes pressing buttons. the save button is the one that causes it to happen the most for me

http://imageshack.us/m/64/9034/ddfss.pngMy site
Find someone post count. Click posts under username. Find number of pages. Times that by 40 for min and 60 for max and you have a rough estimate of post count.

#7 2009-10-17 09:31:32

06dknibbs
Scratcher

I havn't had the glitch in 1.4, but I got it repeatedly when I was making Sphere.

One small solution I noticed, after It continued to happen. If I saved the file under a different name before closing it, the text stayed.

I seemed to get it at the start when I went into presentation mode.

I will also add, my Sphere project still seems to contain the glitch even if you download it. Maybe you could have a look at it and see if you can figure anything out?

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/Untitled-3-6.jpg

#8 2009-10-17 09:32:20

The-Whiz
Scratcher

It's never happened to me - But I'll be sure to report here if it does.

#9 2009-10-18 02:38:10

Chrischb
Scratcher

Thanks for all the help.

#10 2009-10-18 04:29:16

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

I think we all get it when we add/edit text on a costume/background, don't we? Or am I wrong...

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#11 2009-10-18 04:30:18

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

No, wait... we all seem to get it differently!  neutral

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#12 2009-10-18 08:01:15

06dknibbs
Scratcher

We do seem to get it differently, perhaps it isn't the Scratch program itself, but rather something our systems have in common? They could be messing something up.

So I could start,

I had Windows XP,
My memory space was relatively free,
I had Scratch 1.3 installed,
My default browser was Firefox.

Shall we see if any of those could be affecting it? Try and remember what you had when you got the glitch instead of what you have now.

#13 2009-10-18 17:56:22

SHADOWDARK2
Scratcher

I have Scratch 1.4 and the same thing happens

* I start Scracth
* Make a Sprite With a Lot of Text on it
* I hit the undo button
* then the text dissapears

http://www.videogamesigs.com/generate/sigs/temp/VideoGameSigs4f972839579a4.png

#14 2009-10-22 03:00:28

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Good to see everyone trying to help!

I use Windows XP.
I use Internet Explorer 8 (what does the internet have to do with this anyway?)
I got the bug in Scratch 1.3, 1.3.1, and 1.4. Doesn't everyone?

-Charlotte Brontë

#15 2009-10-22 03:05:19

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Should we be posting when the text disappears for each of us? We all seem to be getting it differently, so we should see if there's any connection between the different things.

I get it when I save the Scratch project or save a costume/background with text after typing the text (not editing it).

-Charlotte Brontë

#16 2009-10-23 01:36:19

Chrischb
Scratcher

Updated. I don't see a connection yet, though...  yikes

#17 2009-10-23 01:44:46

greenflash
Scratcher

It only happened twice to me, but I don't remember how it happened. I have XP and use Internet Explorer.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2wrkirk.pnghttp://i46.tinypic.com/6r5zk7.pnghttp://i45.tinypic.com/2vtxr1t.png

#18 2009-10-23 06:11:08

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Everyone seems to have XP and use Internet Explorer...

-Charlotte Brontë

#19 2009-10-28 00:14:22

Greatdane
Scratcher

I had vista and used Chrome, and it happened.

I don't remember when or where I heard this, but I think it's a reaction of Scratch to either:
-Too much memory usage
-Too much application at the same time
-Too much clicking, playing around
Something like that. I think it's related to the processor. Can maybe you guys give a processor? I have an AMD 64-bit. I was using the drawer tool. I'm using Vista, and Scratch 1.4.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
        ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

#20 2009-10-28 01:39:34

Chrischb
Scratcher

Thanks for your contribution.

#21 2009-10-28 03:11:48

WeirdF
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

Nobody knows what causes it

Yes we do, it occurs when you have lots of other applications running in the background, or when it is a big project, it is  simply a lack of memory.

http://i.cr3ation.co.uk/dl/s1/gif/847032b8a331def77529b6a0384db1fe_handfingers.gif

#22 2009-10-28 14:40:53

Larry828
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

I think we all get it when we add/edit text on a costume/background, don't we? Or am I wrong...

I've certainly had it happen LOTS of times when editing text on a background. Early in a project the text (often containing user instructions) is fine, but later I need to change it. So I open the background in the editor and begin to add text, or change text, and all of a sudden all the *text* disappears and all the *menus* disappear.
      Scratch isn't really "locked" but it might as well be.

By now I know where the Save icon on the menu is located even if I can't see it (!), so I click on that area to save things.
      But often things are wrecked anyhow and I'm not sure what's going on so I bail out and start over.

My current procedure is first to make a second copy of the background.  Then I open it, delete all the text, and close it.  Then I open it again and enter all the text from the beginning!  (I have the original background as a backup.)

I haven't noticed whether the size of the project or number of scripts makes any difference. And I don't have two instances of Scratch loaded at the time.

But I don't think it's a lack of memory in my case; I have 3GB of RAM and am running Windows XP. Even the paging file in Windows is seldom used at all.

OH, a couple of times I was moving *all* the text, using the mouse to move the 'text grabber' (or whatever you call the little square that lets you position text on the screen) and when I moved it LEFT of the margin all the text and menus disappeared.

#23 2009-10-28 14:49:17

Larry828
Scratcher

WeirdF wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

Nobody knows what causes it

Yes we do, it occurs when you have lots of other applications running in the background, or when it is a big project, it is  simply a lack of memory.

To respond to this particular point: in my own case it's probably *not* a memory problem.  I have 3GB of RAM running Windows XP. 

Even the Windows "paging file" flat-lines in Task Manager.  At the moment, with Scratch and other programs running, and being online at the Scratch website, Task Manager reports 2GB of RAM free.

But, I have had the disappearing text problem...

#24 2009-11-05 22:16:24

Chrischb
Scratcher

A breakthrough! Click the link in the Notes section.

#25 2009-11-06 05:41:07

06dknibbs
Scratcher

I'm comparing everything in my old projects that caught the bug in 20 minutes  smile

I'll see what I find... The scripts I mentioned we're very similar to my Sphere project scripts...

Board footer