This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#176 2009-10-16 15:59:39

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

Re: The Pokémon Center: Tournaments, Trades, and Battles

djm111 wrote:

The best noob slayer is a Blissey with toxic, imo. Most of them don't have any utility moves to fight it with, and the only pokemon which really owns Blissey without the need for utility moves is a Dynamicpunch Machamp. (Which noobs dont use because they dont understand how No Guard works)

Rly? Because before I knew about competitive battling I already knew about DynamicPunch+No Guard. I guess I'm just that smart.

#177 2009-10-16 16:01:17

djm111
Scratcher

Time for the ultimate debate:

1 on 1 game, Groudon vs Kyogre. Who wins, assume they're EV'd the best way possible. I've thought through this extremely carefully and believe I have the answer, but lemme see what you come up with.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/Dazzamcgazza/sig.png

#178 2009-10-16 16:02:14

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

Time for the ultimate debate:

1 on 1 game, Groudon vs Kyogre. Who wins, assume they're EV'd the best way possible. I've thought through this extremely carefully and believe I have the answer, but lemme see what you come up with.

I would say Kyogre: type advantage, large movepool, high defensive stats and high stats overall.

Last edited by floatingmagictree (2009-10-16 16:02:33)

#179 2009-10-16 16:13:40

djm111
Scratcher

The answer is whoever has a higher speed. Groudon and Kyogre both have 90 base speed.

If Kyogre and Groudon are sent out at the same time, then the pokemon with lower speed is the one who's weather effect is counted. However, they can both OHKO each other (Groudon can learn Thunderpunch and Thunder), so assuming that they both hold a Focus Sash, whoever is faster wins. If one of them didnt, whoever had the Focus Sash would win because they could survive a hit whereas the other couldn't.
It's technically possible with a Focus band to survive more than 2 hits in a row in which case it would be unanswerable. However, it's something like a 1% chance of that happening.

#180 2009-10-16 16:16:31

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

The answer is whoever has a higher speed. Groudon and Kyogre both have 90 base speed.

If Kyogre and Groudon are sent out at the same time, then the pokemon with lower speed is the one who's weather effect is counted. However, they can both OHKO each other (Groudon can learn Thunderpunch and Thunder), so assuming that they both hold a Focus Sash, whoever is faster wins. If one of them didnt, whoever had the Focus Sash would win because they could survive a hit whereas the other couldn't.
It's technically possible with a Focus band to survive more than 2 hits in a row in which case it would be unanswerable. However, it's something like a 1% chance of that happening.

I didn't really think about it THAT deeply...

Almost done with the hail stall team guide.

#181 2009-10-16 16:20:23

djm111
Scratcher

Cool.
In my opinion, Hail Stall Teams have the major problem of only Ice not getting damaged and Ice being a bad defensive type in the 1st place. I think that water pokemon shouldn't be damaged by it either. That would make Hail teams in general a lot better as there are many more diverse part water pokemon.
Hail teams are good examples of building and planning the team though. Especially if Breloom is included.

#182 2009-10-16 16:24:58

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

Cool.
In my opinion, Hail Stall Teams have the major problem of only Ice not getting damaged and Ice being a bad defensive type in the 1st place. I think that water pokemon shouldn't be damaged by it either. That would make Hail teams in general a lot better as there are many more diverse part water pokemon.
Hail teams are good examples of building and planning the team though. Especially if Breloom is included.

That suggestion would be great for Tentacruel, a staple to most Hail Stall teams.

That is true though, Ice is only resistant to other Ice types, and has four weaknesses (Fight, Fire, Rock, Steel).

#183 2009-10-16 16:27:23

djm111
Scratcher

FMT, I got my Arceus from a trade in the Neoseeker forums last night. You can take it off from the front page.

I DO need a Shokotan Pichu though, and will trade anything reasonable for one.

#184 2009-10-16 16:28:31

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

FMT, I got my Arceus from a trade in the Neoseeker forums last night. You can take it off from the front page.

I DO need a Shokotan Pichu though, and will trade anything reasonable for one.

I really want a Shokotan Pichu too.....

#185 2009-10-16 16:39:32

djm111
Scratcher

Everyone does, which is why I'm having trouble getting one.

#186 2009-10-16 16:44:42

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

Everyone does, which is why I'm having trouble getting one.

maybe when they're released here in the states they'll be more abundant.

#187 2009-10-16 16:50:49

djm111
Scratcher

I'm not in the states, lol.
I don't even like Pichu much as a pokemon, it's just for the event of the notch-eared pichu because it's a pokemon I dont have yet.

#188 2009-10-16 16:55:25

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

I'm not in the states, lol.
I don't even like Pichu much as a pokemon, it's just for the event of the notch-eared pichu because it's a pokemon I dont have yet.

Doesn't matter if you don't live in the states, they'll just be more abundant, so you could probably get someone to trade it to you there in the UK.

#189 2009-10-16 17:00:00

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

STAPLES OF THE BASIC HAIL STALL TEAM STRATEGY

Stallrein the Walrein
Bold Nature
Holding Leftovers
Ability MUST BE ICE BODY
EV's: 220 HP, 240 Def, 48 Spe
-Protect
-Substitute
-Toxic
-Surf

Abomasnow
Hasty
Holding Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EV’s: 140 ATK, 116 Sp. ATK, 252 SPE
-Blizzard
-Wood Hammer
-Earthquake
-Taunt

Tentacruel
Calm Nature
Holding Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EV's: 252 HP, 120 DEF, 136 Sp.DEF
-Toxic Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Sludge Bomb/ HP electric
-Surf

These three Pokémon are staples to every hail stall team. In fact, they are so important that basically every Hail Stall team uses them.  Their popularity in Standard play has also increased tenfold. Wanna see why? I’ll tell you how.

First, send in Abomasnow. His ability automatically activates Hail, opening up every opportunity for your team. With Choice Scarf, his speed reaches a nice 360, which out speeds a lot of pokemon. On the first turn, use Taunt, and then switch out to your strongest weapon: Walrein.

Walrein is called Stallrein in this set because it does just that: Stalling. And it does it successfully.

The Basic Walrein Strategy: Start with protect/substitute, use toxic, and then alternate with sub and protect, using surf when needed. The infinite hail that Abomasnow put up will heal Walrein every turn, thanks to the Ice Body ability. He also gets healing from leftovers. So basically, every time you use protect, you score free healing! This is what keeps Walrein’s HP at least a quarter full all the time.

Now that you’ve gotten that down, either the Toxic will kill them, the Hail will, or your surfs will. Nonetheless, it gets the job done. You can continue this for 32 turns or more (Subsitute and Protect have 32 PP altogether when you use PP Max on both attacks) so it will take a huge chunk out of your opponent’s team. When Walrein finally goes down, you can start going all out offense. BUT FIRST you need to send out Tentacruel.

Start with a layer of Toxic Spikes, any attack, Toxic Spikes, any attack again, and a final layer of Toxic Spikes. This badly poisons any pokemon the opponent will switch in if it isn’t of the flying or poison types. However, poison types are extremely rare in the current metagame, so you don’t have to worry.

Continue to sweep as much as you can with Surf and Sludge Bomb/HPElctr until you die.

What do you do now?! Well, here are some guidelines for more pokemon to add to your team:

Once Tentacruel and Walrein go down, you can now go all-offensive. The best pokemon for this job are pokemon that are strong against the weaknesses of Water and Ice, them being Grass, Electric, Steel, Rock, Fighting, and Fire. All of these pokemon have strong representatives in the OU metagame, so this is a lot to cover. However, you have 3 slots open, so go crazy.

The best candidates for the empty three slots in your team are (in no particular order):
Infernape
Blaziken
Zapdos
Heatran
Claydol
Lucario
Sky Shaymin
Breloom(Best candidate IMO)
Scizor
And Tyranitar

Nothing special, just use basic sweeper sets with them.

However, you may want to continue with Hail Stalling. So take these pokemon into consideration:
Frosslass
Rotom-F
Mamoswine
Swampert
Spiritomb
Bronzong
Hariyama, to defend against the threat of a Tyranitar switching in
Glaceon
Machamp
And Gliscor

So, that’s all you need to know for building yourself a Hail Stall team. Don’t just stand there, get training now! I said NOW, idiot!

For further reference on Hail Stall teams, click HERE

Last edited by floatingmagictree (2009-10-16 17:00:50)

#190 2009-10-16 17:00:26

djm111
Scratcher

OK. I need to try the Surf Glitch to try get another Shaymin.

#191 2009-10-16 17:01:23

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

What glitch? The one in the japanese versions? And I have two Shaymin, I can trade you one.

#192 2009-10-16 17:04:20

djm111
Scratcher

floatingmagictree wrote:

djm111 wrote:

What glitch? The one in the japanese versions? And I have two Shaymin, I can trade you one.

The one where you can use Surf on Elite Four Aaron's door.
I have an event Shaymin from Platinum, just curious to see if I can get another.
Thanks for the offer though.

#193 2009-10-16 17:06:54

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

floatingmagictree wrote:

djm111 wrote:

The one where you can use Surf on Elite Four Aaron's door.
I have an event Shaymin from Platinum, just curious to see if I can get another.
Thanks for the offer though.

I have the Wi Fi event one and the Toy's R us one.

I thought you can only do that Surf glitch in the Japanese versions.

Do you like my article?

#194 2009-10-16 17:08:28

djm111
Scratcher

If this makes sense...........

I think the article is well written and very informative, and very useful for people who plan on doing that, but I don't personally like Hail Stall Teams myself.

It is a good article, just not really relevant to me.

#195 2009-10-16 17:15:38

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

If this makes sense...........

I think the article is well written and very informative, and very useful for people who plan on doing that, but I don't personally like Hail Stall Teams myself.

It is a good article, just not really relevant to me.

Ok

#196 2009-10-16 17:19:32

djm111
Scratcher

My Arceus is done.
I EV'd it 252HP/252SPATK/6SPD, because it doesnt use Physical Attacks and HP gives it better survivability in general rather than pumping the EV's into a specific stat.

#197 2009-10-16 17:33:44

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

My Arceus is done.
I EV'd it 252HP/252SPATK/6SPD, because it doesnt use Physical Attacks and HP gives it better survivability in general rather than pumping the EV's into a specific stat.

That's a good EV spread. I might make a guide for EVing later.

#198 2009-10-16 17:39:31

djm111
Scratcher

floatingmagictree wrote:

djm111 wrote:

My Arceus is done.

I would, but I honestly can't be bothered. My guides are more so people can more fully understand Pokemon and apply that knowledge in a practical situation. I'm more interested in seeing how much better people get with the knowledge of how to use their pokemon more effectively, than how far they can get with better distributed stats.
Its of course going to be very helpful to know all, but I'm going to lay off guides. 3 guides in the past 24 hours is sufficient, I think.

#199 2009-10-16 17:51:48

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

floatingmagictree wrote:

djm111 wrote:

My Arceus is done.

I would, but I honestly can't be bothered. My guides are more so people can more fully understand Pokemon and apply that knowledge in a practical situation. I'm more interested in seeing how much better people get with the knowledge of how to use their pokemon more effectively, than how far they can get with better distributed stats.
Its of course going to be very helpful to know all, but I'm going to lay off guides. 3 guides in the past 24 hours is sufficient, I think.

VERY. Sufficient.

#200 2009-10-16 18:24:21

TheSaint
Scratcher

Anyone wish to battle?

Board footer