This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#401 2009-10-19 20:46:33

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

Re: The Pokémon Center: Tournaments, Trades, and Battles

big-bang wrote:

Yes, but (BTW, you are sick-minded) Tyranitar looks like it's having a bad body day.

Sick-minded? Are you talking about the Metapod thing? lol

#402 2009-10-20 06:24:51

TheSaint
Scratcher

Yeah, it does.
Doesn't matter that you got a good team. It still has some major weaknesses.  smile
And, most of those poke's can be outsped. Just saying.  smile

#403 2009-10-20 07:13:33

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

TheSaint wrote:

Yeah, it does.
Doesn't matter that you got a good team. It still has some major weaknesses.  smile
And, most of those poke's can be outsped. Just saying.  smile

We have our ways of overcoming those weaknesses.....

#404 2009-10-20 07:15:19

what-the
Scratcher

Hi i've spent ages making my team and I would like to know if it's any good. All pokemon were Caught by me without hacking or cheating in any way. These are my 3 level 50 pokemon that I would enter for a tournament.

1.                   2.                        3.
pokemon    machamp           alakazam              brongzong
gender       female               male                   none
nature       Lax                    Lax                     lonely
hp             158                   142                      166
attack        160                   57                        155
defense      111                   60                        116
sp.atk         91                    175                       91
sp.def         88                    86                        134
speed         98                    143                       53
move1       cross chop          psychic                sleep talk
move2       fling                   signal beam           gyro ball
move3       fireblast             energy ball            earthquake
move4       earthquake         recover                rest
item         poison barb         choice specs         leftovers
shiny        Yes                     Yes                      Yes
ability       no guard             inner focus           heatproof

http://imageshack.us/m/64/9034/ddfss.pngMy site
Find someone post count. Click posts under username. Find number of pages. Times that by 40 for min and 60 for max and you have a rough estimate of post count.

#405 2009-10-20 10:41:52

blindangel
Scratcher

fbboi999 wrote:

floatingmagictree wrote:

... that I've been working on since May.

That's exactly why I purchased an AR and started hacking (within the rules, of course). It's not worth it to wait 5 months to use a team idea.

If any of you don't have an AR and hack and wish to play pokemon competitively, I strongly suggest getting one and hacking your teams.

Again, the hacks I used to play with were within the game's limits (No IVs above 31, IVs weren't perfect, no EVs above 255, fewer than 511 EVs...), so it's not illegal (so don't flame me about hacking when I played).

If you're really that into the competitive pokemon scene you might as well just onto shoddy battle and play with everyone else that use pokemon with perfect stats.  You'll get much better competition there, unless of course you're planning on using perfect stat pokemon against casual players in which case yeah hack your team.

Last edited by blindangel (2009-10-20 10:43:07)

#406 2009-10-20 14:47:35

djm111
Scratcher

what-the wrote:

Hi i've spent ages making my team and I would like to know if it's any good. All pokemon were Caught by me without hacking or cheating in any way. These are my 3 level 50 pokemon that I would enter for a tournament.

1.                   2.                        3.
pokemon    machamp           alakazam              brongzong
gender       female               male                   none
nature       Lax                    Lax                     lonely
hp             158                   142                      166
attack        160                   57                        155
defense      111                   60                        116
sp.atk         91                    175                       91
sp.def         88                    86                        134
speed         98                    143                       53
move1       cross chop          psychic                sleep talk
move2       fling                   signal beam           gyro ball
move3       fireblast             energy ball            earthquake
move4       earthquake         recover                rest
item         poison barb         choice specs         leftovers
shiny        Yes                     Yes                      Yes
ability       no guard             inner focus           heatproof

First of all, major question: Are they EV trained?
Second, my recommendations.
Machamp's moveset needs completely reworking.
Dynamicpunch is superior to Cross Chop, and will always hit because of Machamp's ability. Fling and Poison Barb is respectable, but I would give him a Life Orb and replace Fling with Ice Punch for coverage. Fire Blast needs to go. Machamp's SPATK is horrible. Earthquake is a fair move to use, though I would replace EQ and Fire Blast with Rest And Sleep Talk.
I only have one major qualm with Alakazam: Replace either signal beam or energy ball with a fire type move so you don't get completely walled by steel types.
I dont know about the Bronzong seens as I have never used or faced a proficient competitive user of one.

I WANNA MAKE ME A POKEMON BANNER!
@fbboi99: I personally don't see what's wrong with hacking within the games limits, though I don't do it myself. While a legit Riolu etc. which was painstakingly bred for perfect IV's is something to be proud of for a collector, it seems stupid to waste so much time on it for competitive battling when you can spend a few minutes hacking for one that does exactly the same thing.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/Dazzamcgazza/sig.png

#407 2009-10-20 15:17:43

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7365/platteam.png
Just so everyone else can see, I'm putting it here.

#408 2009-10-20 15:19:18

djm111
Scratcher

I've done myself one too. Will have it uploaded shortly.

#409 2009-10-20 15:21:11

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

Kewl.

#410 2009-10-20 15:34:35

djm111
Scratcher

GAH
Didnt work, reupload time.

Last edited by djm111 (2009-10-20 15:35:12)

#411 2009-10-20 15:40:38

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

GAH
Didnt work, reupload time.

[img][/img]

Use imageshack, take the first link in the yellow box, and put it in between those tags.

Last edited by floatingmagictree (2009-10-20 15:41:04)

#412 2009-10-20 15:44:13

djm111
Scratcher

I did the image tags, FMT, I'm not stupid. I just wasn't using a good uploader and the image corrupted during upload.

#413 2009-10-20 15:44:50

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

I did the image tags, FMT, I'm not stupid. I just wasn't using a good uploader and the image corrupted during upload.
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt35 … za/sig.png

Sorry. Epic banner tho.

#414 2009-10-20 15:52:49

djm111
Scratcher

Finally, I plucked up the patience for it.

EV Training

EV training is a very specific way of raising your pokemon to get them the highest possible stats. It is an indispensable skill for competitive pokemon battling, and after learning it you will never lose a local school tourney again. This is one of the most complicated aspects of Pokemon, but it becomes almost second nature once you have the grasp of it.

First of all, we will need to go in depth into the Pokemon’s stats core mechanics so you fully understand how they work.
A Pokemon has 6 stats, HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. Each of these stats is made up of a corresponding IV (Individual Value) and EV (Effort Value).
Individual Values are assigned to a Pokemon when you obtain them. They range from 0-31, and make exactly that difference at level 100. So for instance, a level 100 Pokemon with 0 HP IV’s would have 31 HP less than the same Pokemon with 31 HP IV’s. I find that it really helps to think of these as genetic or inherited.
Effort Values are the ones you can easily control. These are earned by Pokemon for defeating other Pokemon. EV’s range from 0-255 in each stat, and can make a difference of up to 64 points at level 100. However, a Pokemon can only have 510 Effort Values in total, so you cannot fully EV train every stat.
Here are the easiest Pokemon to battle for EV Training:
Bidoof – Gives you 1 HP EV
Starly – Gives you 1 Attack EV
Geodude – Gives you 1 Defense EV
Shinx – Gives you 1 Special Attack EV
Kricketot – Gives you 1 Special Defense EV
Magikarp – Gives you 1 Speed EV
There are also ways to speed up EV training, as battling 255 Bidoofs in a row will bore you to tears.
Power Items – These are things you can obtain from the Battle Tower (Frontier for Platinum). They all give 5 extra EV’s in the stat they correspond to when you defeat a Pokemon. As an example, defeating a Bidoof while holding a Power Weight will give you 6 HP EV’s.
Pokerus – Chances are you’ve had this before. Chances also are that you had no idea what it did specifically. A Pokemon infected with Pokerus will gain double the amount of EV’s from battling. So, if you defeated a Bidoof while you had Pokerus, you would gain 2 HP EV’s. It doubles the whole thing, so if you were holding a Power weight at the same time you would gain 12 HP EV’s. With these tips, you can cut down the amount of battles needed to EV train your pokemon from 252 to 21, a vast difference. Pokerus is randomly picked up from battling wild pokemon. If you have a Pokemon with Pokerus in your party, battling with it in your party will make the Pokerus gradually spread to the other Pokemon in your party. Pokerus disappears after a while, unless you store the infected Pokemon in your PC.

#415 2009-10-20 15:54:28

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

EV Training

EV training is a very specific way of raising your pokemon to get them the highest possible stats. It is an indispensable skill for competitive pokemon battling, and after learning it you will never lose a local school tourney again. This is one of the most complicated aspects of Pokemon, but it becomes almost second nature once you have the grasp of it.

First of all, we will need to go in depth into the Pokemon’s stats core mechanics so you fully understand how they work.
A Pokemon has 6 stats, HP, Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. Each of these stats is made up of a corresponding IV (Individual Value) and EV (Effort Value).
Individual Values are assigned to a Pokemon when you obtain them. They range from 0-31, and make exactly that difference at level 100. So for instance, a level 100 Pokemon with 0 HP IV’s would have 31 HP less than the same Pokemon with 31 HP IV’s. I find that it really helps to think of these as genetic or inherited.
Effort Values are the ones you can easily control. These are earned by Pokemon for defeating other Pokemon. EV’s range from 0-255 in each stat, and can make a difference of up to 64 points at level 100. However, a Pokemon can only have 510 Effort Values in total, so you cannot fully EV train every stat.
There are also ways to speed up EV training, as battling 255 Bidoofs in a row will bore you to tears.
Power Items – These are things you can obtain from the Battle Tower (Frontier for Platinum). They all give 5 extra EV’s in the stat they correspond to when you defeat a Pokemon. As an example, defeating a Bidoof while holding a Power Weight will give you 6 HP EV’s.
Pokerus – Chances are you’ve had this before. Chances also are that you had no idea what it did specifically. A Pokemon infected with Pokerus will gain double the amount of EV’s from battling. So, if you defeated a Bidoof while you had Pokerus, you would gain 2 HP EV’s. It doubles the whole thing, so if you were holding a Power weight at the same time you would gain 12 HP EV’s. With these tips, you can cut down the amount of battles needed to EV train your pokemon from 252 to 21, a vast difference. Pokerus is randomly picked up from battling wild pokemon. If you have a Pokemon with Pokerus in your party, battling with it in your party will make the Pokerus gradually spread to the other Pokemon in your party. Pokerus disappears after a while, unless you store the infected Pokemon in your PC.

I think you should also add info about EV reducing berries.

#416 2009-10-20 15:56:57

djm111
Scratcher

floatingmagictree wrote:

djm111 wrote:

EV Training

I don't know what they are, or that they even existed until you said.
Yes, I hang my head in shame.

#417 2009-10-20 15:57:57

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

floatingmagictree wrote:

djm111 wrote:

EV Training

Pomeg, Kelpsy, and others of the like. Google 'em.

#418 2009-10-20 15:58:36

djm111
Scratcher

floatingmagictree wrote:

djm111 wrote:

floatingmagictree wrote:

Add it, then post the link to it as a collaborated guide.

#419 2009-10-20 16:00:16

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

floatingmagictree wrote:

djm111 wrote:

Add it, then post the link to it as a collaborated guide.

Meh, don't feel like it now :D

#420 2009-10-20 16:07:40

djm111
Scratcher

Fair enough.

#421 2009-10-20 16:14:26

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

Fair enough.

Just google em yourself, you'll be sure to find a guide. I think they have one on Smogon.

#422 2009-10-20 17:38:36

fbboi999
Scratcher

blindangel wrote:

fbboi999 wrote:

floatingmagictree wrote:

... that I've been working on since May.

That's exactly why I purchased an AR and started hacking (within the rules, of course). It's not worth it to wait 5 months to use a team idea.

If any of you don't have an AR and hack and wish to play pokemon competitively, I strongly suggest getting one and hacking your teams.

Again, the hacks I used to play with were within the game's limits (No IVs above 31, IVs weren't perfect, no EVs above 255, fewer than 511 EVs...), so it's not illegal (so don't flame me about hacking when I played).

If you're really that into the competitive pokemon scene you might as well just onto shoddy battle and play with everyone else that use pokemon with perfect stats.  You'll get much better competition there, unless of course you're planning on using perfect stat pokemon against casual players in which case yeah hack your team.

Yeah I use/formerly used Shoddy. It's really nice.

And I'm not looking for casual competition here. Just watching the discussion.

Last edited by fbboi999 (2009-10-20 17:39:02)

Check out my cool projects!
“Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories.”

#423 2009-10-20 17:42:06

djm111
Scratcher

There is no point in perfect IV's half the time anyway, because you can't get the wanted Hidden Power's for type coverage etc.

#424 2009-10-20 17:48:35

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

djm111 wrote:

There is no point in perfect IV's half the time anyway, because you can't get the wanted Hidden Power's for type coverage etc.

What if you're using a Shuckle or a Smeargle? They both have ridiculously low Special Attack stats, Hidden Power would be a complete waste!

#425 2009-10-20 18:36:00

half_life_2
Scratcher

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac290/nikkiperson2/Facepalm.gif

http://i.imgur.com/WofKH.png

Board footer