This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » I suggest that text based games NOT be deleted!!!!!!

#51 2009-10-10 04:51:03

Chrischb
Scratcher

Re: I suggest that text based games NOT be deleted!!!!!!

coka wrote:

I don't think it should be deleted.  wink
The only problem I have is that some scratch members just come on this website to play test-based games, not to make or share their scratch projects. It's just my opinion that the programming part of scratch should be more popular.  hmm

Well said.

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#52 2009-10-10 04:52:15

Chrischb
Scratcher

Mr_X wrote:

It's still unlikely it'll get deleted
Oh yeah, and Jon, the reason it was closed because you asked Paddle to close it
So why whine about it being closed?

He did not ask for it to be closed. What made you assume he did?

Last edited by Chrischb (2009-10-10 04:52:43)

#53 2009-10-10 04:56:03

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Mr_X wrote:

The first topic got closed at my request. Same with the third and fourth. But the second (which is the one in the Suggestions), was not closed at my request! All of the other topics had a post saying "Topic closed at thread owner's request". The one in the Suggestions didn't. That is ignorant, unless you haven't been reading the posts.

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#54 2009-10-10 04:58:00

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

Mr_X wrote:

It's still unlikely it'll get deleted

He did not ask for it to be closed. What made you assume he did?

Because all of the other threads had posts saying that it was closed at my request. If he saw that (which I doubt), he'd have good reason to think so. But one thing is that the Suggestions topic did not state that. He closed it because it was becoming a flame war. Thanks Paddle!

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#55 2009-10-10 17:50:20

Wickimen
Scratcher

Umm first your saying, "I'M SAD MY THING IS CLOSED CUZ I CAN'T GET SUPPORTERS" now your saying "THANKS IT WAS GETTING BAD"

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#56 2009-10-10 23:08:30

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Wickimen wrote:

Umm first your saying, "I'M SAD MY THING IS CLOSED CUZ I CAN'T GET SUPPORTERS" now your saying "THANKS IT WAS GETTING BAD"

I never stated it like that... and the meaning is slightly off. I said "You can get more supporters but I can't really because my topic is closed". Which is actually good, since flame wars were starting up.

You put that in a funny way.  big_smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#57 2009-10-11 02:47:11

billyedward
Scratcher

I think that they should be moved over to another website that does not focus on scratch, and therefore does not sap up scratch's moderators' time, disk space, or bandwidth. We could keep the link on the scratch forums, though, to minimise users turning the regular forums into TBG's.

"I'd love to change the world, but they haven't released the source code yet."
Check out the latest version of Streak --> http://billy.scienceontheweb.net/Streak

#58 2009-10-11 05:07:34

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

billyedward wrote:

I think that they should be moved over to another website that does not focus on scratch, and therefore does not sap up scratch's moderators' time, disk space, or bandwidth. We could keep the link on the scratch forums, though, to minimise users turning the regular forums into TBG's.

A lot of people have suggested this, and I'm fine with it. The problem is if they don't mind not moderating it, because people could be rude and things... but they could say that they would not be moderating it and therefore, if you play, you agree not to be outraged with rude language and things.  smile

-Charlotte Brontë

#59 2009-10-11 12:08:39

Wickimen
Scratcher

There you go. That's another reason text based games should stay. It's moderated. I'm not allowed to go on websites that have bad language.
BTW, Jonathanpb-- Your exact quote:

Jonthanpb wrote:

My topic got closed so I can't get any more supporters.  sad

#60 2009-10-11 20:59:26

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Wickimen wrote:

There you go. That's another reason text based games should stay. It's moderated.

But moderating them takes up so much time, and this is one of the reasons for deletion of TBGs in the first place:

Paddle2See wrote:

... This website is for supporting Scratch... the fact of the matter is, the Text-Based Games take a fair amount of monitoring which is time and effort spent away from actually helping people do Scratch.

Regardless of whether or not TBGs stay here or manages to get its own section and put on another website, a substantial amount of moderating power is still required to maintain it (which means the need for more moderators). This is one of the pressing questions surrounding the issue of TBGs: Why keep a section having little relation to Scratch if it takes up too much time to moderate?

If there are a significant number of Scratchers who exemplify moderator characteristics and are willing to take the time out to moderate TBGs, then I don't mind if TBGs still exist.  smile

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#61 2009-10-11 21:33:04

RPGBaVB
Scratcher

Yes, it takes ALOT of forum mods to moderate the TBG. I'm thinking soon if it isn't closed it'll be too much! I may be wrong, but still, it could happen.

Frequency of TBG Present wrote:

Every 2 min.

That, still, is alot!

Frequency of TBG Soon (Prediction) wrote:

Every 20 sec.

Hey, it's a prediction. I don't know if it's true.

Scratcher & Photobucket Name: BaVB|  Youtuber Name: Superlazerfighter81 | Random Fact: Modern Warfare Two is the most frequently played game in the world right now. | A: B!  big_smile

#62 2009-10-11 21:43:16

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

RPGBaVB wrote:

Yes, it takes ALOT of forum mods to moderate the TBG. I'm thinking soon if it isn't closed it'll be too much! I may be wrong, but still, it could happen.

Frequency of TBG Present wrote:

Every 2 min.

That, still, is alot!

Frequency of TBG Soon (Prediction) wrote:

Every 20 sec.

Hey, it's a prediction. I don't know if it's true.

If we don't get TBG closed up soon, that will be true.

#63 2009-10-12 01:01:28

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

Wickimen wrote:

There you go. That's another reason text based games should stay. It's moderated.

But moderating them takes up so much time, and this is one of the reasons for deletion of TBGs in the first place:

Paddle2See wrote:

... This website is for supporting Scratch... the fact of the matter is, the Text-Based Games take a fair amount of monitoring which is time and effort spent away from actually helping people do Scratch.

Regardless of whether or not TBGs stay here or manages to get its own section and put on another website, a substantial amount of moderating power is still required to maintain it (which means the need for more moderators). This is one of the pressing questions surrounding the issue of TBGs: Why keep a section having little relation to Scratch if it takes up too much time to moderate?

If there are a significant number of Scratchers who exemplify moderator characteristics and are willing to take the time out to moderate TBGs, then I don't mind if TBGs still exist.  smile

I know! No one seems to care about you moderators! Honestly, I feel sorry for you all.

Which of these sounds better:

For the Text-Based Games:

If we put the Text-Based Games on a seperate site, the moderators won't be moderating that website and people could be rude and nothing would happen.

Against the Text-Based Games:

It takes up too much time to moderate the Text-Based Games. If we move them to a seperate website, we won't have to worry.

Personally, I'm with the second one. The problems in the first one are very easy to take care of.

1. In the Terms and Conditions it says that by posting in there, it says that you agree to the fact that you will accept any rude stuff and not be annoyed or upset by it. Then no one can complain, because it's in the Terms and Conditions.

2. If the website needs a moderator, some trustworthy people can become moderators on that website (and not in Scratch, of course). They won't have the problem of moderating in the Text-Based Games (Scratch Forums), and the other website will be moderated. But in my opinion, we should put the thing in the Terms and Conditions anyway.

Personally, I think that those ideas are excellent.  smile

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2009-10-12 01:01:43)

-Charlotte Brontë

#64 2009-10-12 01:04:13

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Wickimen wrote:

There you go. That's another reason text based games should stay. It's moderated. I'm not allowed to go on websites that have bad language.
BTW, Jonathanpb-- Your exact quote:

Jonthanpb wrote:

My topic got closed so I can't get any more supporters.  sad

That does not mean that I'm whining about the fact that my topic got closed. Don't be another ignorant person! The only thing that it stated was that I can't get any more supporters! And that was me saying that you can get more supporters, but I can't. That's that.

-Charlotte Brontë

#65 2009-10-12 01:04:46

Chrischb
Scratcher

Hmm... the Scratch Team said a week and a half ago that they were making up their mind. How long will it be till they come up with a decision?

#66 2009-10-13 08:57:39

06dknibbs
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

Hmm... the Scratch Team said a week and a half ago that they were making up their mind. How long will it be till they come up with a decision?

Decision is made  smile
*Points to sticky thread on TBG*

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/Untitled-3-6.jpg

#67 2009-10-13 11:51:23

nikkiperson2
Scratcher

Amen.

http://i.imgur.com/h9L7Ktb.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/Hz1Cg2s.png

#68 2009-10-13 12:49:56

Geo567
Scratcher

I don't like the fact that TBG is being deleted as its my favourite forum, BUT I admit it has started a lot of flame wars, and a lot of scratch RPGers make their RPG's on Xat or other stuff now.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9579/mybanner4ad18be294666.png http://i33.tinypic.com/4v4plj.gif ELMO KNOWS WHERE YOU LIVE!!!  lol

#69 2009-10-13 14:03:17

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Well, the announcement is out, the 'Text-Based Games' forums are being closed within a week.

However... if anybody has seen andresmh's thread in the 'Text-Based Games' forum section, you will see that the Scratch Team is giving the option of having TBGs on another section of the website if there is enough moderator support for it. So if you think you have the qualities of a moderator and want TBGs to stay, check out this thread:
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=24351

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#70 2009-10-13 18:57:51

Wickimen
Scratcher

yikes   sad  Noooooooooo! CURSE YOU JONATHANPB!!!!!!!!!!!!1 > sad

#71 2009-10-13 18:59:40

The-Whiz
Scratcher

It's not just Jonathanpb that wanted it deleted, although he did start it.

#72 2009-10-13 19:24:38

Wickimen
Scratcher

Well, if they think that deleting it will stop flame wars, they're wrong. If they delete it, and they will, then welcome to the Revolutionary Scratch War!!!!!!!!!! HONESTLY. U PPL ARE SO STUPID I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!! WHOOP DE DO, LET'S DELETE TBG. RETHINK THIS!!!!!!! You people who run Scratch, are you crazy?!!!!!!!! That's it. I'm getting my revenge on you insane... aaagh!

#73 2009-10-13 19:31:52

coolstuff
Community Moderator

Wickimen wrote:

Well, if they think that deleting it will stop flame wars, they're wrong. If they delete it, and they will, then welcome to the Revolutionary Scratch War!!!!!!!!!! HONESTLY. U PPL ARE SO STUPID I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!! WHOOP DE DO, LET'S DELETE TBG. RETHINK THIS!!!!!!! You people who run Scratch, are you crazy?!!!!!!!! That's it. I'm getting my revenge on you insane... aaagh!

They might be making a separate forum for the games, you know. They certainly had their reasons for deleting it, just read the thread. And this is not a very friendly reaction, you may want to reconsider. Just saying "YOU'RE SO STUPID!" Isn't going to get you what you want.

#74 2009-10-13 19:38:04

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

coolstuff wrote:

Wickimen wrote:

They might be making a separate forum for the games, you know. They certainly had their reasons for deleting it, just read the thread. And this is not a very friendly reaction, you may want to reconsider. Just saying "YOU'RE SO STUPID!" Isn't going to get you what you want.

And perhaps if you had actually read cheddar's post you could have been saved this embarrassment.

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#75 2009-10-13 20:31:35

Wickimen
Scratcher

demosthenes wrote:

coolstuff wrote:

Wickimen wrote:

And perhaps if you had actually read cheddar's post you could have been saved this embarrassment.

I did read it, and I can tell they're not going to bring it back once deleted, and besides it already has the games I go on on it-- so I might as well tell them that. I'm just bugged. Correction. EXTREMELY BUGGED. No duh I'm not acting friendly?! And you still didn't answer the thing about flame wars

Last edited by Wickimen (2009-10-13 20:32:36)

• Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » I suggest that text based games NOT be deleted!!!!!!

Board footer