This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » I suggest that text based games NOT be deleted!!!!!!

#1 2009-10-03 14:21:53

Wickimen
Scratcher

I suggest that text based games NOT be deleted!!!!!!

Ok, Jonathanpb came up with this idea that text based games be deleted... I know some of you already know that. Well I don't agree, and since he has HIS little forum post whining about how it shouldn't be here, I think we should have an anti-deletion post, and this way more people can disagree. Only about 20 people agree with him out of the 1425 who have seen his post, and that's definitely not a lot, so I say that people like me who want text based games to stay, have our argument here! If we get more people to agree that text based games stay, then it probably won't be deleted.
5 REASONS!
1) Text based games get your creativeness FOR MAKING PROJECTS going.
2) Some of the text based games turn into projects.
3) "Imagine, program, share." It doesn't go against the motto. You have to be able to be imaginative to come up with a good game, and you do sort of "program" what happens next, and then you share it, don't you?
4) The last thing Scratch needs is quitting. A lot of people might quit without text based games.
5) Forums has its own section of Scratch. What is on it CAN be different.

Come up with reasons, please, if you want Text Based Games to STAY!!!
<set{ text based games }to( yes

Code:

[url=http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23862]I suggest that text based games STAY.[/url] Click if u agree.

Put that in your signature if u agree!!!

Last edited by Wickimen (2009-10-03 17:44:43)

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#2 2009-10-03 15:51:37

martianshark
Scratcher

Re: I suggest that text based games NOT be deleted!!!!!!

I already made a topic like this, and I agree.

http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=martianshark&amp;uid=e6cdc2c8-2476-4abd-9994-27f857396579&amp;bg=1

#3 2009-10-03 16:37:06

boymc
Scratcher

I think so [links removed by moderator]

Last edited by cheddargirl (2009-10-03 23:05:21)

#4 2009-10-03 17:30:51

Wickimen
Scratcher

martianshark wrote:

I already made a topic like this, and I agree.

cool! i didnt no u made 1. ill go see urs. XD

#5 2009-10-03 17:42:33

Wickimen
Scratcher

boymc wrote:

THINK so? Oh come on! =P It SHOULD stay

Last edited by cheddargirl (2009-10-03 23:06:39)

#6 2009-10-03 22:53:48

TimeFreeze
Scratcher

Why should it stay? Do you even KNOW what it's like to be a moderator? Especially a moderator of a big forum like scratch??? You don't know how much work it takes. And plus, it's useless. There is no point to it. Hmm, you say it's so that you and your scratch friends can have some fun on the forums? Well either:

1. Make a forum, post the link in Inspiration and More, and talk THERE.
2. Go on another forum and do it.

If people quit, oh well. You shouldn't have been on scratch if you would've quit just because of a forum.

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't. --[insert unrelated transition]-- GRANDILOQUENCE FTW!

#7 2009-10-03 23:02:59

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

To reiterate a previous post:

andresmh wrote:

The Scratch team is analyzing this issue and will come up with a solution in collaboration with the forums moderators. Stay tuned.

(Taken from here: http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=233897#p233897)

So stay put, everyone, the Scratch team is working on implementing a solution that resolves the issue as soon as possible.  smile

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#8 2009-10-03 23:04:54

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

Wickimen wrote:

boymc wrote:

THINK so? Oh come on! =P It SHOULD stay

That's a spam post by a spammer not interested in Scratch. Calm down, relax, and have a cup of nice hot tea while the Scratch Team works on the issue as we speak.  smile

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#9 2009-10-03 23:05:00

fireball123
Scratcher

Wickimen wrote:

Ok, Jonathanpb came up with this idea that text based games be deleted... I know some of you already know that. Well I don't agree, and since he has HIS little forum post whining about how it shouldn't be here, I think we should have an anti-deletion post, and this way more people can disagree. Only about 20 people agree with him out of the 1425 who have seen his post, and that's definitely not a lot, so I say that people like me who want text based games to stay, have our argument here! If we get more people to agree that text based games stay, then it probably won't be deleted.
5 REASONS!
3) "Imagine, program, share." It doesn't go against the motto. You have to be able to be imaginative to come up with a good game, and you do sort of "program" what happens next, and then you share it, don't you?
4) The last thing Scratch needs is quitting. A lot of people might quit without text based games.

Code:

[url=http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23862]I suggest that text based games STAY.[/url] Click if u agree.

1 then it would be in inspiration or more
2 see 1
3 yes it does imagine yes create no share no
4 How many users on scratch is there? oh yeah 300,000 plus who quits just because they can't play WOTF on the forums?
5 actually no. The forums are related to scratch, even inspiration and more is inspiration for SCRATCH projects. Text based games has Nothing to do with scratch

I did it for the Lolz

#10 2009-10-03 23:31:20

martianshark
Scratcher

TimeFreeze wrote:

Why should it stay? Do you even KNOW what it's like to be a moderator? Especially a moderator of a big forum like scratch??? You don't know how much work it takes. And plus, it's useless. There is no point to it. Hmm, you say it's so that you and your scratch friends can have some fun on the forums? Well either:

1. Make a forum, post the link in Inspiration and More, and talk THERE.
2. Go on another forum and do it.

If people quit, oh well. You shouldn't have been on scratch if you would've quit just because of a forum.

If text based games got deleted, it would just be more work for the modrators with all of the TBGs and spam in other threads. And even if they only got an account for games, we should still be a freindly and welcoming community, not say,"They only got an account on here for the fun, so we don't care about them."

http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=martianshark&amp;uid=e6cdc2c8-2476-4abd-9994-27f857396579&amp;bg=1

#11 2009-10-03 23:35:41

martianshark
Scratcher

fireball123 wrote:

Wickimen wrote:

5 REASONS!

Code:

2 see 1
4 How many users on scratch is there? oh yeah 300,000 plus who quits just because they can't play WOTF on the forums?
5 actually no. The forums are related to scratch, even inspiration and more is inspiration for SCRATCH projects. Text based games has Nothing to do with scratch

1. TBG is different.
2. TBG is different.
3. Imagine, yes. Program, kind of. Share, definitely.
4. A lot of people.
5. No, actualy both IAM and TBG have nothing to do with Scratch.

#12 2009-10-04 00:45:05

Chrischb
Scratcher

Do you know that it costs the Scratch Team money?
It also takes up server space, and it slows the forums down as well!

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#13 2009-10-04 00:47:43

Chrischb
Scratcher

Here's the big question, people! Why can't you find a different forum?

#14 2009-10-04 01:14:01

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Wickimen, those five reasons are actually five reasons why the Text-Based Games should be deleted. Honestly.

1 and 2: Inspiration and More exists, you know. Why can't you use that? It actually fits better for the purpose.
3. This is just a flop. The motto doesn't say what not to do! It says what to do! You're saying that the motto tells you what to not do. But the motto says "Imagine, Program, Share." You seem to think along the lines of "It doesn't say that we can't have Text-Based Games! It doesn't say that we can't have chatrooms (which are not going to be made, and Andrés has stated before)! It doesn't say that we can't post links to spyware and viruses! It doesn't say that we can't post tons of inappropiate stuff!...". Honestly.
4. This is a sort of flop also. Actually, the only people that would quit are the Text-Based Games addicts who only joined Scratch for the games (which is quite amazing due to the fact that Scratch tries to stop spammers and people like that). Which means that if they quit, the faithful Scratchers will be left with a 100% population of users who actually care about the Community. And I think that'd actually be quite nice.
5. The Scratch Forums are part of the Scratch Community. And things in the Scratch Community should be relevant to Scratch (quite obviously). But Text-Based Games doesn't have anything to do with Scratch. You may say something like "Oh, you can get Inspiration or project ideas", but you can do that in the helpful forum called Inspiration and More. It is more suited to the purpose, actually.

If you're sensible, you would change the five reasons now (or delete the topic if you can't think of any real ones).

Have you even read my topic?

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#15 2009-10-04 20:57:06

Wickimen
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

Because the other forums aren't meant for this. It would be spamming. And no, I have not read your forum. Somehow someone else posted eight messages from me.

#16 2009-10-04 22:33:59

Wickimen
Scratcher

2 see 1

How long did it take you to come up with reasons why my complaints were wrong?

#17 2009-10-05 00:40:50

martianshark
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

Do you know that it costs the Scratch Team money?
It also takes up server space, and it slows the forums down as well!

IT DOESN'T COST THEM ANY MONEY! IT ONLY COSTED THEM TO GET A SERVER, AND USING UP SPACE ON IT DOESN'T SLOW THE INTERNET DOWN!

#18 2009-10-05 00:43:27

martianshark
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

1. Scratch is better
2. You can play on TBG while waiting for another post on another thread.
3. I don't know of any other TBG sites.
4. If one exists, it would probably have hardly anyone on it.
5. You can't play Scratch related games.

Last edited by martianshark (2009-10-05 00:43:58)

#19 2009-10-05 11:42:28

Mr_X
Scratcher

The big question is actually
Why can't you leave them alone?

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8656/exveemonc.gif The rules of the internet:
1) Every woman is a man    2) Every man is a child    3) Every child is an FBI agent                                        I have psychopathic tendencies. Be afraid

#20 2009-10-05 19:40:32

coolperson
Scratcher

I completely agree with you.

Coolperson- 2012 National Vex Robotics Finalist!
http://www.scratch.mit.edu/ext/youtube/?v=sn7p84DQFyk

#21 2009-10-05 19:43:13

martianshark
Scratcher

Me too!

#22 2009-10-06 01:04:09

Chrischb
Scratcher

How about we stop arguing? There's a lovely topic in the Inspiration and More by Samurai768. It's for all of us to get together and be friendly. No more arguing!

Here's the link: Sorry, I forgot the name.

#23 2009-10-06 19:04:50

martianshark
Scratcher

We should argue. If we don't argue, TBG will be deleted for sure.

#24 2009-10-07 00:24:13

Chrischb
Scratcher

martianshark wrote:

We should argue. If we don't argue, TBG will be deleted for sure.

I know how you feel, but Paddle2see said that all the good points have been made, and they are making a decision as we speak. Everything to be said has been said, so why don't we calm down?

#25 2009-10-07 00:27:55

Chrischb
Scratcher

martianshark wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

1. Scratch is better
2. You can play on TBG while waiting for another post on another thread.
3. I don't know of any other TBG sites.
4. If one exists, it would probably have hardly anyone on it.
5. You can't play Scratch related games.

1. Yes, Scratch is better. You can do all the Scratch related posts you like here, and do your games somewhere else.
2. I've said this several times and I'll say it again:

If Text-Based-Games will keep you occupied while you wait for a reply, so will posting in other forums!

3. Google it.
4. Scratch can't be the only populated forum out there.
5. Yes, that's the tough one. But only 1.28% of the games are Scratch-related, and they aren't very popular. But please don't say that the Text-Based-Games should stay just for that; it's silly.

Right, that's enough points for now.

• Index
  •  » Suggestions
  •  » I suggest that text based games NOT be deleted!!!!!!

Board footer