This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2009-10-06 19:47:05

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

Re: Text Based Games Should Stay!

martianshark wrote:

demosthenes wrote:

martianshark wrote:

1. You still don't get how the internet works. They have their own website already. Having TBG doesn't cost any money, and having more server space doesn't slow the internet down. A slow internet depends on whether or not you have DSL. Also, how does it distract people from helping others? All the other forums do the same thing.
2. If the TBGs weren't fun, I wouldn't be using any other forums ever.
3. I havn't seen any other game forums. What gives you the idea that another one exists?
4. Yeah, they still won't care, because they'll just get another account.
5. That's not what I meant. What I meant was that by playing text based games, I learned how to use the forums, and afterward I used the other forums.
They might. With all of the bad stuff that's going on lately on the website, they will eventualy have enough, and quit.
6. That was a joke?  tongue   tongue   tongue   tongue

1. The servers that host the scratch website only have so much server space. With all the forum posts *I believe* the website slows down.
2. I've never seen you post any where other than TBG and IoM. We'd be left with the people who cared about helping others more than playing games.
3. Enjoy: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34
4. And then they'll get IP banned and never be able to come to the website again . . .
5. But he uses the other parts . . . and helps people . . .

EDIT: Fixed link

1. You are wrong. Using up server space does not slow the internet down. A slow internet depends on your computer, not their server.
2. I have posted in other places, and why would we want people to quit? Even if they only joined for the games, we are supposed to be a friendly and welcoming community. Do you think doing this would be a good example?
3. Wickimen posted a reasonable reason why we don't want to find another site:

Wickimen wrote:

Says who? What does SCRATCH help with, can you tell me that? I know you're going to say, "imagining, programming and sharing," but you could do that somewhere else- do you see where I'm going? We COULD delete it and go somewhere else, but we don't want to, because we like what we already have. Same with the forums. We COULD, but do we want to? Of course not! Scratch isn't a need, and neither is the TBG forum, but both aren't something you would want to delete. Another reason you say we should delete TBG? "It costs Scratch money!" This doesn't affect you, and Scratch itself also costs money, yet are you wanting to delete it? You might say a reason Scratch should stay: "It's fun." That's a good reason, and if it's so for Scratch, why not the forum?

Think about Scratch as a country. There are citizens that have settled in this country. The citizens are perfectly happy where they are, when suddenly, the king announces that having fun doesn't have anything to do with the country, and therefore, having fun is illegal. Now of course, everyone wants to have fun, so all the citizens have to move all the way to a different country to have fun. Isn't that stupid?
4. I don't think you can get IP banned, but even if you could, people that get banned can still use the forums.
5. Exactly, but I wouldn't have found the other parts without TBG.

1. You are wrong . . . the more data a server holds the slower page loading times will be, especially in the general section of that part. Oh and, the increases user traffic slows down the forums. However, granted this point does not matter all that much.
2. But is scratch's moto imagine-play TBG games!!11!!!1!-Don't care about programming11!!!!, my guess is no, but I might need glasses  wink
3. Scratch helps with developing a good platform for Com-Sci, builds critical thinking, and facilitates creativity. TBG does uhh . . . uhhh . . .  hmm  . . . talk gibberish O.o and uhhhh . . .
4. No. You. Can. Get. IP. Banned. That is indisputable, this point is mute.
5. You've lost me on this one . . .

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#52 2009-10-06 20:27:47

martianshark
Scratcher

demosthenes wrote:

martianshark wrote:

demosthenes wrote:

1. The servers that host the scratch website only have so much server space. With all the forum posts *I believe* the website slows down.
2. I've never seen you post any where other than TBG and IoM. We'd be left with the people who cared about helping others more than playing games.
3. Enjoy: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34
4. And then they'll get IP banned and never be able to come to the website again . . .
5. But he uses the other parts . . . and helps people . . .

EDIT: Fixed link

1. You are wrong. Using up server space does not slow the internet down. A slow internet depends on your computer, not their server.
2. I have posted in other places, and why would we want people to quit? Even if they only joined for the games, we are supposed to be a friendly and welcoming community. Do you think doing this would be a good example?
3. Wickimen posted a reasonable reason why we don't want to find another site:

Wickimen wrote:

Says who? What does SCRATCH help with, can you tell me that? I know you're going to say, "imagining, programming and sharing," but you could do that somewhere else- do you see where I'm going? We COULD delete it and go somewhere else, but we don't want to, because we like what we already have. Same with the forums. We COULD, but do we want to? Of course not! Scratch isn't a need, and neither is the TBG forum, but both aren't something you would want to delete. Another reason you say we should delete TBG? "It costs Scratch money!" This doesn't affect you, and Scratch itself also costs money, yet are you wanting to delete it? You might say a reason Scratch should stay: "It's fun." That's a good reason, and if it's so for Scratch, why not the forum?

Think about Scratch as a country. There are citizens that have settled in this country. The citizens are perfectly happy where they are, when suddenly, the king announces that having fun doesn't have anything to do with the country, and therefore, having fun is illegal. Now of course, everyone wants to have fun, so all the citizens have to move all the way to a different country to have fun. Isn't that stupid?
4. I don't think you can get IP banned, but even if you could, people that get banned can still use the forums.
5. Exactly, but I wouldn't have found the other parts without TBG.

1. You are wrong . . . the more data a server holds the slower page loading times will be, especially in the general section of that part. Oh and, the increases user traffic slows down the forums. However, granted this point does not matter all that much.
2. But is scratch's moto imagine-play TBG games!!11!!!1!-Don't care about programming11!!!!, my guess is no, but I might need glasses  wink
3. Scratch helps with developing a good platform for Com-Sci, builds critical thinking, and facilitates creativity. TBG does uhh . . . uhhh . . .  hmm  . . . talk gibberish O.o and uhhhh . . .
4. No. You. Can. Get. IP. Banned. That is indisputable, this point is mute.
5. You've lost me on this one . . .

1. You are wrong. Server space has nothing to do with this. It doesn't make it go slower.
2. We are still supposed to be welcoming, and does TBG go against the motto? Imagine: yes Program: sort of Share: absolutely
3. You are right. TBG doesn't do much, but it does do other things, such as giving people a break from Scratch without going anywhere. And if it was deleted, there would be a lot of trouble.
4. Alright then, you can get IP banned, but this doesn't stop them from using the forums.
5. What I meant was that I found TBG one day, thought it looked like fun, and tried it. And it was fun. While there, I found out how to use the forum code and stuff like that, and then I went on to other forums. I would never be using the forums if it wasn't for TBG.

http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=martianshark&uid=e6cdc2c8-2476-4abd-9994-27f857396579&bg=1

#53 2009-10-06 20:34:07

demosthenes

martianshark wrote:

1. You are wrong. Server space has nothing to do with this. It doesn't make it go slower.
2. We are still supposed to be welcoming, and does TBG go against the motto? Imagine: yes Program: sort of Share: absolutely
3. You are right. TBG doesn't do much, but it does do other things, such as giving people a break from Scratch without going anywhere. And if it was deleted, there would be a lot of trouble.
4. Alright then, you can get IP banned, but this doesn't stop them from using the forums.
5. What I meant was that I found TBG one day, thought it looked like fun, and tried it. And it was fun. While there, I found out how to use the forum code and stuff like that, and then I went on to other forums. I would never be using the forums if it wasn't for TBG.

1. Slower loading times on the forum is affected by TBG games, but not by much so this isn't a big issue.
2. Does TBG help further the things scratch is all about, programming, critical thinking, logic, and creativity, no . . .
3. What sort of trouble. Why would you ever post in TBGs when you could help people in other parts of the forum.
4.Yes. It. Does. End of story.
5.Sure TBG can attract some people to the webiste, but often times those people don't care about programming.

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#54 2009-10-06 23:38:48

martianshark
Scratcher

demosthenes wrote:

martianshark wrote:

1. Slower loading times on the forum is affected by TBG games, but not by much so this isn't a big issue.
2. Does TBG help further the things scratch is all about, programming, critical thinking, logic, and creativity, no . . .
3. What sort of trouble. Why would you ever post in TBGs when you could help people in other parts of the forum.
5.Sure TBG can attract some people to the webiste, but often times those people don't care about programming.

1. No, it doesn't. If it did, then Scratch would run very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very slow. It has over 500,000 projects and more than 1,000 more are uploaded every day. More web pages don't effect effect how slow it goes.
2. No, but it doesn't have to. It's off topic, and it isn't part of the scratch forums. That's why it's seprate.
3. Have you ever thought of where everyone's spam would go if it was deleted? It would be everywhere. There would be TBGs in other threads too.
4. No. It. Doesn't. Banned users can still use the forums.
5. But often times they do--why do you think they came to this website anyway? To program, of course.

http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=martianshark&uid=e6cdc2c8-2476-4abd-9994-27f857396579&bg=1

#55 2009-10-07 00:04:58

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

martianshark wrote:

About number 4... That is incorrect. IP bans can also be applied to the Scratch forums. Us mods actually do that all the time with commercial spammers, and the Scratch Team has sometimes enforced IP bans in the forums in severe cases of inappropriate behavior.

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#56 2009-10-07 12:17:06

TheoMarr
Scratcher

cheddargirl wrote:

martianshark wrote:

About number 4... That is incorrect. IP bans can also be applied to the Scratch forums. Us mods actually do that all the time with commercial spammers, and the Scratch Team has sometimes enforced IP bans in the forums in severe cases of inappropriate behavior.

I believe that temporary bans people may still be able to use the forums if it is important, but permanent bans people CANNOT use the forums because I saw one person who was banned and in the post he said he wanted to be unbanned.

#57 2009-10-07 13:37:13

cheddargirl
Scratch Team

TheoMarr wrote:

cheddargirl wrote:

martianshark wrote:

I believe that temporary bans people may still be able to use the forums if it is important, but permanent bans people CANNOT use the forums because I saw one person who was banned and in the post he said he wanted to be unbanned.

I think that's happenned a couple of times. Here is one from norberts when he was still on the Scratch website and received a temporary ban. (his topic here: http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18933)

If I'm not mistaken, bans are actually two-fold (having both a website and forum component), so it is sometimes possible for one end of the ban to be lifted while the other is not yet removed. Of course this is in the case of temporary bans (permament bans are never listed with an end date and thus it is impossible for a permanently banned user to visit the forums or the website).

Just in case anyone is interested about blocked accounts: (http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Blocks_on_User_Accounts)

http://i.imgur.com/8QRYx.png
Everything is better when you add a little cheddar, because when you have cheese your life is at ease  smile

#58 2009-10-07 14:14:36

Prometheus
Scratcher

Lol I found that funny
It said that IP bans were used as a last resort

Stupid ImageShack deleted my picture

#59 2009-10-07 20:08:24

demosthenes

martianshark wrote:

demosthenes wrote:

martianshark wrote:

1. No, it doesn't. If it did, then Scratch would run very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very slow. It has over 500,000 projects and more than 1,000 more are uploaded every day. More web pages don't effect effect how slow it goes.
2. No, but it doesn't have to. It's off topic, and it isn't part of the scratch forums. That's why it's seprate.
3. Have you ever thought of where everyone's spam would go if it was deleted? It would be everywhere. There would be TBGs in other threads too.
5. But often times they do--why do you think they came to this website anyway? To program, of course.

1. But they have a good enough server so it's not that much of an issue. This point doesn't really matter!
2. "and it isn't part of the scratch forums" We wish! You just pointed out the cusp of my argument.
3. There would be spam, in the beginning. Then threads would be closed and bans would be issued if necessary.
4. Cheddagirl sort of pointed out the flaws in this part of you argument.
5. Yeah, okay, it attracts a couple of people . . . w00t . . . I fail to see why 'false advertising is important . . .

#60 2009-10-07 22:09:32

martianshark
Scratcher

demosthenes wrote:

martianshark wrote:

demosthenes wrote:

1. But they have a good enough server so it's not that much of an issue. This point doesn't really matter!
2. "and it isn't part of the scratch forums" We wish! You just pointed out the cusp of my argument.
3. There would be spam, in the beginning. Then threads would be closed and bans would be issued if necessary.
4. Cheddagirl sort of pointed out the flaws in this part of you argument.
5. Yeah, okay, it attracts a couple of people . . . w00t . . . I fail to see why 'false advertising is important . . .

1. Alright then. It doesn't matter.
2. Yes, it isn't part of the Scratch forums. That's why it's in a seperate off topic section.
3. Yes there wouild be a lot of spam at first. After a couple of months when all the threads have been closed and the spammers banned, there would be less spam, however, new Scratch members would spam in other threads instead of TBG.
4. Yes, I know that.
5. A couple of people? If there are 1239851 scratch members, 1239927 is still better.

Seriously, if a couple of things changed, we could keep TBG with no probloms:
1. TBG shouldn't count toward your post count.
2. There should be some sort of rule that you have to post in other threads before you can post in other threads. This would actualy be good for the Scratch community, as it would encourage helping out.
3. Maybe there should also be a rule kind of like the 50 posts rule, exept in this one, you have to get 50 posts before you can use TBG.

#61 2009-10-07 22:45:11

sciencegal78
Scratcher

jonathanpb, what forum is made specially for tbg? seriously, a forum is not a forum with only tbgs. if we only have helping threads then whats the fun of that?
second thing, if theres only "helpful" scratchers then what abou the new people? the people that could build into really cool scratchers. if you spend most of your times on the forum then thats cool! its a forum! why should this forum not have tbg just cuz its based on scratch. one off based topic. whats the harm?

I suck at scratch. Waaaa.

#62 2009-10-07 23:03:22

throughthefire
Scratcher

I AGREE!
TBG is fun, and I still have time to work on and release projects!

Back. For now. Maybe.

#63 2009-10-08 03:59:45

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

If there is any further discussion on this issue, please do it on this topic

http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=234615#p234615

so we don't have multiple threads on the same topic.  Thanks!

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

Board footer