This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#26 2009-10-02 23:52:25

martianshark
Scratcher

Re: Text Based Games Should Stay!

Jonathanpb wrote:

martianshark wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

I can easily plow through your reasons and give answers, martianshark.

1. They're fun. Now, things can be fun, but prepare for what I have said over and over without anyone grasping the point: The Scratch Forums are for helping other Scratchers, suggesting things, reporting bugs, and most definitely not for playing games. Since the Scratch Forums aren't about games, the games shouldn't be in the Scratch Forums. If you want fun, do something fun somewhere else.

And what's the reason we can't do it on Scratch?

2. They can keep you from being bored when you're waiting for a reply from another forum. This is the best reason I've ever heard (which is actually quite weak). So you people think that you have to have something to take off the waiting? Do you mean that whenever we wait for trains, wait for a delivery, wait for the internet to connect, you need something to occupy you? That isn't neccessary. Sure, you may get bored, but there's a much better thing to do when you're waiting for a reply: Browse the forums! Check out the Suggestions, read what's up in All About Scratch, see the new bugs being reported in TroubleShooting; just be helpful to the Scratch Community! Which do you think is better for it: playing games, or browsing ideas and giving your views?

Games are more fun, of course. There really is nothing wrong with playing some games while waiting for a reply.

3. If people want to spend all there time on it, there's nothing wrong with that. People are perfecly allowed to waste their lives playing those games. But we don't like it when you have to play in a forum that's designed for helping the Scratch Community instead of for games. If you want to waste your lives, please do it in a different place. Thank you.

Why does it matter where people waste their lives? If TBGs exist, that's a good place to do it.

4. If it gets deleted, Inspiration and More will just become a text based games forum. That may happen if everything goes untouched, but we have forum moderators. They will close and delete the topics (and you can always report them asking them to close or delete them). And if people still post those games, the moderators can put a sticky up. And it only takes a few minutes a day to close the games that pop up. So don't worry.

But there would be lots of spam and games in other places. It would be too much for the moderators to handle, and even if they could handle it, it would be a lot of work for them.

5. Everyone will get mad, and several people will quit. In a way, I hope this happens. We'll be left with the dedicated Scratchers who care about the Scratch Community. And you and the others will quit. Of course, we welcome you to stay and become a useful Scratcher...

Nothing would be different in the other threads if they quit. True Scratchers would still post in the real threads, and the people that were simply trying to have some fun would quit. So what's the point in that? We don't want people to quit, even if they did only get an account for some forum games.

6. If MIT wanted to get rid of it, they would. This sounds good, but it's basically saying "The Scratch Team put up Suggestions because they couldn't think of anything". They have Suggestions so you can suggest things including changing something that they had done in the past. You may give them a few more facts about it, and they might change their minds.

That's what I'm doing right now.

7. Some people have only things like DSis, so pretty much the only thing they can do is text based games. This is actually quite silly. If people can post in the Text-Based Games, they can also post in the other forums. Which means they can still be a useful Scratcher.

But if they can't use the actual Scratch program (which by the way, is what Scratch is about, NOT the forums), then what's the point of using the other forums?

I think that the idea of deleting TBG is just plain dumb, and there would be a lot of trouble if it happened.

1. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. NO ONE GRASPS THIS, NO MATTER HOW MUCH I EXPLAIN! THE SCRATCH FORUMS ARE FOR SCRATCH! NOT FOR GAMES! Please...

Like I said before, why can't we do it on Scratch? Part of the point of Scratch is to have fun, and besides, who want's to go through the trouble of finding another website that has text based games, getting an account on it, and figuring out how to use it? Nobody.

2. You have a point, but honestly, tell me which is more important: playing games while you wait for a reply, or browsing the forums and being helpful?

Technically, neither of them are "important", it's just that it's more fun to play games, and you won't be bored.

3. People are perfectly allowed to waste their lives. We just wish the Text-Based Games wouldn't be here because it isn't relevant to Scratch. And surely you can waste your lives on different websites that are made for games?

Like I said before, nobody wants to go through the trouble of doing that. Also, you would have to keep going from the other site to Scratch if you're waiting for a reply, which is inconvinient, and you couldn't play things like Scratch Block Wars.

4. It only takes a few minutes a day to remove the spam. If people don't learn, there can be stickies. If they still don't, the forum moderators can just spend five minutes a day clearing it out. Not a few hours.

So what if they put stickies up? The spammers won't care. They'll just keep posting uncontrollable spam. And it would take a LOT longer than five minutes.

5. If the users quit, we would be left with a complete 100% helpful Scratch Community. Don't we all want that?

First of all, It wouldn't be 100% because there would still be tons of spammers. Second, it wouldn't matter, because all the non-100% helpful Scratch members would still have nothing to do with the real Scratch community.

6. You're not doing that. The Text-Based Games still exist. I am doing that.

I thought you meant me suggesting that the text based games should stay.

7. They might not be able to use the Scratch program, but honestly, I would rather be a helpful Scratcher in the forums instead of just playing games. It's actually more fun for me.

If it's more fun for you, then go ahead and post in other threads, and leave the TBG players alone.

Tell me: do you believe that the Text-Based Games are irrevelant to the Scratch Forums and don't belong there? And does the Text-Based Games help the Scratch Community?

I want an answer.

It doesn't help the scratch community that much, but it can keep people from being bored when they have nothing else to do, it can inspire people, and most of all, they're fun! Do you honestly not care about fun?

You seem to think that trouble would occur if the Text-Based Games were deleted. Did you ever think about how long it would last? Probably only a few days... and at most a week. And the new forum users would never know.

Oh, right,"It would only last a few days, and then they would get over it."  roll  No, they wouldn't. They would be mad for a very long time. It would be at least a couple months before they finally started calming down, and then there would still be lots of spam.

http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=martianshark&uid=e6cdc2c8-2476-4abd-9994-27f857396579&bg=1

#27 2009-10-03 00:07:15

martianshark
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

Right, let's get this settled.

1. They're fun. This is not what the forums are for! If you want fun, find a different forum. This is a Scratch Forum, and it will stay a Scratch Forum. And cheddargirl said brilliantly that people have been turning to the Text-Based-Games as an entertainment source rather than programming. If you use Scratch just for the forums, find a different site.
2. They can keep you from being bored when you're waiting for a reply from another forum. If that can, so will helping other people in the other forums!
3. If people want to spend all their time on it, there's nothing wrong with that. It's their problem, yes, but why should we stand by it? They can waste their lives somewhere else. Once again, find a different forum. You can still use this one, but play games on a different forum.
4. If it gets deleted, Inspiration and More will just become a Text-Based-Games forum. Why can't the moderators treat them as they do chatrooms? If someone creates a chatroom, it gets closed. Why not? People will learn not to start games.
5. Everyone will get mad, and several people will quit. So? We will be left with a bunch of loyal, helpful Scratchers and the forums will be a better place. I (and the rest of us) don't want people to quit. It's a sad thing, but if that's all they use the forums for, we're better off without them.
6. If MIT wanted to get rid of it, they would. Sure! But it's up to andresmh and the rest of the Scratch Team to change it, but they never read the Suggestions anyway. If you're wondering why we've bothered to suggest it, have a think; If you don't ask for it, you won't get it.
7. Some people have only things like DSis, so pretty much the only thing they can do is text based games. Once again, find a different forum.

1. Yeah, duh, that's what the TBG is about. Having fun. And it's a lot easier to use the Scratch Forums then to get a new account that you have to find yourself, and figure out how to use the forum's code. Plus, there probably wouldn't be as many people to play with.
2. The other forums are kind of boring. The TBGs are fun.
3. Once again, finding a different forum is hard.
4. They won't care, and there will be a lot more TBGs than chat rooms. There's hardly any chatrooms.
5. Why would we be better off without them? Nothing would be different in the other threads (exept for spam and TBGs).
6. Well, I certainly hope you don't get it your way.
7. ......................................................................................................................

http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=martianshark&uid=e6cdc2c8-2476-4abd-9994-27f857396579&bg=1

#28 2009-10-03 01:39:54

Chrischb
Scratcher

adriangl wrote:

This is really getting annoying! As far as we know, TBG will stay! There is no problem with it and it actually prevents spam on other threads. If there was a real reason to delete TBG and this discussion was going on, the Scratch Team might actually consider deleting TBG. But, that isn't happening. So like I said, get over it!

Oh, I'm not so sure about that.  wink

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#29 2009-10-03 01:44:14

Chrischb
Scratcher

martianshark wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

Right, let's get this settled.

1. They're fun. This is not what the forums are for! If you want fun, find a different forum. This is a Scratch Forum, and it will stay a Scratch Forum. And cheddargirl said brilliantly that people have been turning to the Text-Based-Games as an entertainment source rather than programming. If you use Scratch just for the forums, find a different site.
2. They can keep you from being bored when you're waiting for a reply from another forum. If that can, so will helping other people in the other forums!
3. If people want to spend all their time on it, there's nothing wrong with that. It's their problem, yes, but why should we stand by it? They can waste their lives somewhere else. Once again, find a different forum. You can still use this one, but play games on a different forum.
4. If it gets deleted, Inspiration and More will just become a Text-Based-Games forum. Why can't the moderators treat them as they do chatrooms? If someone creates a chatroom, it gets closed. Why not? People will learn not to start games.
5. Everyone will get mad, and several people will quit. So? We will be left with a bunch of loyal, helpful Scratchers and the forums will be a better place. I (and the rest of us) don't want people to quit. It's a sad thing, but if that's all they use the forums for, we're better off without them.
6. If MIT wanted to get rid of it, they would. Sure! But it's up to andresmh and the rest of the Scratch Team to change it, but they never read the Suggestions anyway. If you're wondering why we've bothered to suggest it, have a think; If you don't ask for it, you won't get it.
7. Some people have only things like DSis, so pretty much the only thing they can do is text based games. Once again, find a different forum.

1. Yeah, duh, that's what the TBG is about. Having fun. And it's a lot easier to use the Scratch Forums then to get a new account that you have to find yourself, and figure out how to use the forum's code. Plus, there probably wouldn't be as many people to play with.
4. They won't care, and there will be a lot more TBGs than chat rooms. There's hardly any chatrooms.
5. Why would we be better off without them? Nothing would be different in the other threads (exept for spam and TBGs).
7. ......................................................................................................................

1. So what if you have trouble finding your fun? I'm sorry if you get upset if it gets deleted, but it does not belong to the Scratch Forums.
2. They are not supposed to be fun! That's not the point of those forums! The point is to help other users. If you don't want any boring forums, try a different website.
3. Then make your own.
4. It doesn't matter at all if there are more games than chatrooms. They will be closed anyway, and it will be known that it's forbidden. A sticky could be put up as well to explain it.
5. We will be better without them, because all focus and attention will be directed to helping other Scratchers. If you don't want to help, find a different forum.
6. And vice versa.  tongue

#30 2009-10-03 01:44:17

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

andresmh wrote:

The Scratch team is analyzing this issue and will come up with a solution in collaboration with the forums moderators. Stay tuned.

Thank you very much Andrés. Hopefully this will be over soon.  smile

Are you thinking about the three questions (if you've heard or thought about them)? I think that that's the best way to decide.

The three questions:

Does the Text-Based Games belong in the Scratch Forums?
Is it part of Scratch?
Does it help the Scratch Community?

I think that's the best way.

For more information, please check out my topic An important question about the Text-Based Games (ignore the fact that it's a new topic). I realize that it should say "Important questions" instead, but too late to change it now.  smile

Thanks again!  smile

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#31 2009-10-03 02:10:10

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

I am cutting off the quoting so this post doesn't become longer and longer.

1. You just don't get it! The Scratch Forums are not for playing games. They are for helping other Scratchers, suggesting things, reporting bugs, and the like. I can not phrase it any better. You just have to understand.
2. In the Terms of Use, I wish they would state "If you post in the forums, you agree to the fact that you will use the Scratch Forums in a benificial way; ie. giving your views on suggestions, helping other Scratchers, you get it (hopefully). Benificial is not playing games. Tell me: would the Scratch Team like it if you were benificial to the Scratch Community, or would they rather have you play games?

Personally, I have more fun being benificial. Honest!  smile
3. They won't have to go back and forth if they are benificial.

If the Text-Based Games do get deleted, they will bother to go to the other websites.
4. Have you ever deleted one of your posts? It only take thirty seconds (probably less). And if it got really bad, there would be five new games in All About Scratch and Inspiration and More, which adds up to ten. Thirty seconds multiplied by ten equals three-hundred, and three-hundred seconds is equal to five minutes. So people can remove ten topics in five minutes. There.
5. You can't stop spammers, so they don't count. But Text-Based Games addicts can be stopped. You delete the games that they thrive on, and they die (well, if they were insects, but you addicts would just move to a different forum. Good luck on your migration).
(6. is left out because of confusion between the two of us).
7. I do. Except for the fact that I welcome their opinions to my surveys and suggestion.

Extra 1.
1. Why do people have to go on a programming website to stop their boredom? They can always go to a game website. Or they can visit the Scratch Website and be helpful to the Community.
2. Inspiring? Have you ever heard of the forum Inspiration and More? Honestly, it's right next to the Text-Based Games.
3. Why can't anyone read my posts? Often they say that I am not against fun, it's just that I don't like the idea of the Text-Based Games! Please.

Extra 2.
See 4. about the spam. And for the madness, they would either quit (and we won't hear of their anger), or they would decide to be a helpful Scratcher to the Community. Or they'll not fare too well.

Good luck, addicts,
Jonathanpb

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2009-10-03 02:10:34)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#32 2009-10-03 02:11:47

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

adriangl wrote:

This is really getting annoying! As far as we know, TBG will stay! There is no problem with it and it actually prevents spam on other threads. If there was a real reason to delete TBG and this discussion was going on, the Scratch Team might actually consider deleting TBG. But, that isn't happening. So like I said, get over it!

The very next post was done by Andrés:

andremsh wrote:

The Scratch team is analyzing this issue and will come up with a solution in collaboration with the forums moderators. Stay tuned.

Read that.

-Charlotte Brontë

#33 2009-10-03 07:53:46

TheoMarr
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

1. Obviously, at least they can give the forums some humour and prevent off topic posts can't they?  hmm
2. Sometimes you don't have time to explain in detail what to do, so you could just do a quick post in TBG.
3. If TBG didn't exist, because Inspiration and More only takes things like casual stuff and your website, then the Scratch Team would delete all these posts, because they do not fit in Inspiration and More.
4. Yeah but TBG is the only place where you can do that sort of things, and when a forum has a text based game, it just gets moved to TBG.
5. But that's what's NOT supposed to happen. Scratch is supposed to be a place which welcomes any kind of person(As long as friendly).
6. They do read suggestions.  sad
7. But then at least they can play a game instead of just writing.

andriangl wrote:

I agree.

Mr_X wrote:

Lol you said that like a tv show announcer

Lol I know  tongue

#34 2009-10-03 11:40:37

J0j2
Scratcher

I Agree!!!!

Happiness is a habit. You can help the world practice happiness a little more. Visit the 'Happiness List' below and post a list of 100 things that make you happy!
http://i.imgur.com/dMpk2.jpg?1?4499

#35 2009-10-03 12:43:44

samurai768
Scratcher

i agree, just add one more person that agrees with you in your sig.

#36 2009-10-03 13:35:00

Survivorduck
Scratcher

They should stay! I really like them!

#37 2009-10-03 15:30:55

martianshark
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

martianshark wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

1. So what if you have trouble finding your fun? I'm sorry if you get upset if it gets deleted, but it does not belong to the Scratch Forums.
2. They are not supposed to be fun! That's not the point of those forums! The point is to help other users. If you don't want any boring forums, try a different website.
3. Then make your own.
4. It doesn't matter at all if there are more games than chatrooms. They will be closed anyway, and it will be known that it's forbidden. A sticky could be put up as well to explain it.
5. We will be better without them, because all focus and attention will be directed to helping other Scratchers. If you don't want to help, find a different forum.

1. No, it's perfectly fine in the Scratch Forums. There's nothing wrong with it, and if it got deleted, it would just cause trouble.
2. Ummmmm... okay, then why would I ever use the forums if they're not any fun at all? Part of the reason that some people use the other forums is because they can do TBG while their waiting.
3. I don't know how, but even if I did, there would be very few people to play with, and you wouldn't be able to play things such as Scratch Block Wars.
4. As I've said a million times, they won't care. They will post lots of spam and there would be too much. If they put a sticky up, they still won't care.
5. So what if all the attention is on other forums? They were never going to post in them anyway, they would just stay in the TBG section. And what if someone was about to become a helpful scratcher, but then the TBGs were deleted, and they quit? In fact, the only reason I started using the forums is because of TBG. If I never found that section, I probably never would have used the other forums.
6. lol  tongue

You know, with some changes, TBG could actualy become very helpful to the Scratch community. They could make some sort of rule that says,"you can only post in the TBGs if you make at least one post in every other section (exept for other languages). Also, they could make it so that the TBG won't count towards your post count. This way, TBG players will have to post in other forums before they can play, and the Scratch community would be much more helpful.

#38 2009-10-03 15:46:47

petvet300
Scratcher

I agree that text based games should stay- as long as their appropriate. ^^

Check out Read the world here- http://scratch.mit.edu/users/petvet300 or here- http://readtheworld.weebly.com/
http://readtheworld.weebly.com/uploads/3/2/7/4/3274641/7776807_orig.jpg

#39 2009-10-03 17:26:00

keikij
Scratcher

I can't beleive that people are still fighting about this -_-

Back from the Dead (And Stuff)

#40 2009-10-03 23:17:18

TimeFreeze
Scratcher

Honestly, why don't you guys just go to the random forum? Then they can remove Text-Based Games with no problem, people who want it can go to the random forum, and everyone will be happy.

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't. --[insert unrelated transition]-- GRANDILOQUENCE FTW!

#41 2009-10-04 00:56:32

Chrischb
Scratcher

martianshark wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

martianshark wrote:

3. Then make your own.

1. No, it's perfectly fine in the Scratch Forums. There's nothing wrong with it, and if it got deleted, it would just cause trouble.
2. Ummmmm... okay, then why would I ever use the forums if they're not any fun at all? Part of the reason that some people use the other forums is because they can do TBG while their waiting.
3. I don't know how, but even if I did, there would be very few people to play with, and you wouldn't be able to play things such as Scratch Block Wars.
4. As I've said a million times, they won't care. They will post lots of spam and there would be too much. If they put a sticky up, they still won't care.
5. So what if all the attention is on other forums? They were never going to post in them anyway, they would just stay in the TBG section. And what if someone was about to become a helpful scratcher, but then the TBGs were deleted, and they quit? In fact, the only reason I started using the forums is because of TBG. If I never found that section, I probably never would have used the other forums.
6. lol  tongue

You know, with some changes, TBG could actualy become very helpful to the Scratch community. They could make some sort of rule that says,"you can only post in the TBGs if you make at least one post in every other section (exept for other languages). Also, they could make it so that the TBG won't count towards your post count. This way, TBG players will have to post in other forums before they can play, and the Scratch community would be much more helpful.

1. Nothing wrong with it? That's true, if you don't count costing the Scratch Team money, taking up server space (which consequently slows the website down), distracting attention from helping others, etc..
For causing trouble, so what? I'm sorry if it gets deleted and you get upset, but why can't you find a different forum?
2. You don't have to use the forums. If it's no fun at all, and you need fun to use the forums, go find one that's fun enough for you.
For waiting, did you read my points? If you can play the Text-Based-Games while you're waiting, you should be able to help others out as well!
3. Yes, I am forced to give in a slight bit. You can't have Scratch themed games, but the percentage of those is very small, only about 1.28%! And anyway, Scratch can't be the only populated forum out there!
4. Yeah, they won't care, until they get banned.
5. If you were never going to post in them anyway, stop using the forums if it gets deleted.
If someone wants to be a helpful Scratcher, they would not quit if it gets deleted! Obviously.
The real helpers wouldn't need any games to help others out.
6. I like making jokes.  tongue   tongue   tongue   tongue

#42 2009-10-05 00:06:50

martianshark
Scratcher

Chrischb wrote:

martianshark wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

3. Then make your own.

6. lol  tongue

1. Nothing wrong with it? That's true, if you don't count costing the Scratch Team money, taking up server space (which consequently slows the website down), distracting attention from helping others, etc..
For causing trouble, so what? I'm sorry if it gets deleted and you get upset, but why can't you find a different forum?
2. You don't have to use the forums. If it's no fun at all, and you need fun to use the forums, go find one that's fun enough for you.
For waiting, did you read my points? If you can play the Text-Based-Games while you're waiting, you should be able to help others out as well!
3. Yes, I am forced to give in a slight bit. You can't have Scratch themed games, but the percentage of those is very small, only about 1.28%! And anyway, Scratch can't be the only populated forum out there!
5. If you were never going to post in them anyway, stop using the forums if it gets deleted.
If someone wants to be a helpful Scratcher, they would not quit if it gets deleted! Obviously.

1. You still don't get how the internet works. They have their own website already. Having TBG doesn't cost any money, and having more server space doesn't slow the internet down. A slow internet depends on whether or not you have DSL. Also, how does it distract people from helping others? All the other forums do the same thing.
2. If the TBGs weren't fun, I wouldn't be using any other forums ever.
3. I havn't seen any other game forums. What gives you the idea that another one exists?
4. Yeah, they still won't care, because they'll just get another account.
5. That's not what I meant. What I meant was that by playing text based games, I learned how to use the forums, and afterward I used the other forums.
They might. With all of the bad stuff that's going on lately on the website, they will eventualy have enough, and quit.
6. That was a joke?  tongue   tongue   tongue   tongue

#43 2009-10-05 11:43:35

Mr_X
Scratcher

@This topic
TL;DR

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8656/exveemonc.gif The rules of the internet:
1) Every woman is a man    2) Every man is a child    3) Every child is an FBI agent                                        I have psychopathic tendencies. Be afraid

#44 2009-10-05 16:18:17

Wickimen
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

If there's nothing that it helps for, then it should be deleted.

Says who? What does SCRATCH help with, can you tell me that? I know you're going to say, "imagining, programming and sharing," but you could do that somewhere else- do you see where I'm going? We COULD delete it and go somewhere else, but we don't want to, because we like what we already have. Same with the forums. We COULD, but do we want to? Of course not! Scratch isn't a need, and neither is the TBG forum, but both aren't something you would want to delete. Another reason you say we should delete TBG? "It costs Scratch money!" This doesn't affect you, and Scratch itself also costs money, yet are you wanting to delete it? You might say a reason Scratch should stay: "It's fun." That's a good reason, and if it's so for Scratch, why not the forum?

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

#45 2009-10-05 17:59:01

hmnwilson
Scratcher

EVERYONE!! Have you not noticed this post?

andresmh wrote:

It's up to them now. So stop arguing, this is getting way out of hand!

I'm taking a break from Scratch until 2.0 comes out. Any messages sent between then and now probably won't be read - sorry.
(Oct. 20, 2011)

#46 2009-10-05 23:25:03

samurai768
Scratcher

Why must we fight about Jonathan making a SUGGESTION? Paddle2see or andres would probably make a topic about whether it would stay or not, and you would have to answer yes or no. I agree that it should stay, but why do we have to cry and whine and quit and swear our brains off about it?

#47 2009-10-06 01:13:09

Chrischb
Scratcher

How about we close this? I agree with samurai768; it's no use arguing, and a topic will be made in the Announcements once the Scratch Team makes up their mind.
There's a good topic in the Inspiration and More that brings all of us together with no arguing.

#48 2009-10-06 01:55:37

masterhand7
Scratcher

I agree with you martianshark.
I suggest that Text Based Games should stay.

Click here to see the first iPhone virus!
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/MASTERHAND7PWNZ.jpg

#49 2009-10-06 07:51:46

demosthenes
Retired Community Moderator

martianshark wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

martianshark wrote:

6. lol  tongue

1. You still don't get how the internet works. They have their own website already. Having TBG doesn't cost any money, and having more server space doesn't slow the internet down. A slow internet depends on whether or not you have DSL. Also, how does it distract people from helping others? All the other forums do the same thing.
3. I havn't seen any other game forums. What gives you the idea that another one exists?
5. That's not what I meant. What I meant was that by playing text based games, I learned how to use the forums, and afterward I used the other forums.
They might. With all of the bad stuff that's going on lately on the website, they will eventualy have enough, and quit.

1. The servers that host the scratch website only have so much server space. With all the forum posts *I believe* the website slows down.
2. I've never seen you post any where other than TBG and IoM. We'd be left with the people who cared about helping others more than playing games.
3. Enjoy: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34
4. And then they'll get IP banned and never be able to come to the website again . . .
5. But he uses the other parts . . . and helps people . . .

EDIT: Fixed link

Last edited by demosthenes (2009-10-06 07:53:05)

I've taken a long hiatus, but I still visit sometimes. Give me some time to answer any messages you post on my projects!

#50 2009-10-06 19:01:52

martianshark
Scratcher

demosthenes wrote:

martianshark wrote:

Chrischb wrote:

1. The servers that host the scratch website only have so much server space. With all the forum posts *I believe* the website slows down.
2. I've never seen you post any where other than TBG and IoM. We'd be left with the people who cared about helping others more than playing games.
3. Enjoy: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34
4. And then they'll get IP banned and never be able to come to the website again . . .
5. But he uses the other parts . . . and helps people . . .

EDIT: Fixed link

1. You are wrong. Using up server space does not slow the internet down. A slow internet depends on your computer, not their server.
2. I have posted in other places, and why would we want people to quit? Even if they only joined for the games, we are supposed to be a friendly and welcoming community. Do you think doing this would be a good example?
3. Wickimen posted a reasonable reason why we don't want to find another site:

Wickimen wrote:

Says who? What does SCRATCH help with, can you tell me that? I know you're going to say, "imagining, programming and sharing," but you could do that somewhere else- do you see where I'm going? We COULD delete it and go somewhere else, but we don't want to, because we like what we already have. Same with the forums. We COULD, but do we want to? Of course not! Scratch isn't a need, and neither is the TBG forum, but both aren't something you would want to delete. Another reason you say we should delete TBG? "It costs Scratch money!" This doesn't affect you, and Scratch itself also costs money, yet are you wanting to delete it? You might say a reason Scratch should stay: "It's fun." That's a good reason, and if it's so for Scratch, why not the forum?

Think about Scratch as a country. There are citizens that have settled in this country. The citizens are perfectly happy where they are, when suddenly, the king announces that having fun doesn't have anything to do with the country, and therefore, having fun is illegal. Now of course, everyone wants to have fun, so all the citizens have to move all the way to a different country to have fun. Isn't that stupid?
4. I don't think you can get IP banned, but even if you could, people that get banned can still use the forums.
5. Exactly, but I wouldn't have found the other parts without TBG.

Board footer