This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-09-30 00:25:15

martianshark
Scratcher

Text Based Games Should Stay!

Text based games shouldn't be deleted because:

1. Their fun
2. They can keep you from being bored when you're waiting for a reply from another forum.
3. If people want to spend all there time on it, there's nothing wrong with that.
4. If it gets deleted, Inspiration and More will just become a text based games forum.
5. Everyone will get mad, and several people will quit.
6. If MIT wanted to get rid of it, they would.
7. Some people have only things like DSis, so pretty much the only thing they can do is text based games.
8. It can inspire people (not always, but sometimes).
9. Imagine, program, share. Does TBG go against that? No.

If you have another reason why it shouldn't be deleted, tell me.

hmnwilson wrote:

Isn't there something better we could do with that forum? Rather than just deleting it when only nine people support the idea? If they suddenly took it away, I can assure you, the community would NOT react well.

I agree that the text-based games are useless, but with nine supporters, it wouldn't be a good decision on the scratch team's part. There's no good way to get rid of them without angering a large part of the community. So no, the idea would never work, and they should stay how they are until we can find something better to do with them that people can agree on.

archmage had a good idea. Since the main forums and text-based games (even inspiration and more) obviously don't go together, they should be separated. What if there was a link on the main forums that went to some other page where posts you make don't count? I think it would work.

steppenwulf wrote:

I don't think it should be deleted; rather it should be moved to its own webpage, or having post from TBG not count torwards your total.

wiimaster wrote:

nuuu never! if you guys really hate text based games, then dont go there! why do you care how we spend scratch?

archmage wrote:

By no means should it be deleted, just moved or changed so it doesn't come up with the rest of the posts. This would also apply to the other off topic thread.

adriangl wrote:

Jonathanpb, though there is a lot of spam in TBG and IM, they shouldn't be deleted. Everyone uses those forums, and everyone would be really sad(mad) if they were gone. It is better than having spam in other threads.

sciencegal78 wrote:

I think you have a point, but just let them enjoy themselves! if you dont want us calling you idiots then why do you calll them ignorant and stupid? just let them do it. its part of forums!

Mini_mi wrote:

dude you don't get it do you. text based games is another unique way for people to express themseleves and there imaginiation, and ideas because sometimes peoples great minds produce awsome ideas that are frankily to complicated to be made into to a game. just think about that for a minute then reconsider this post and if you still think the text based games should go and you succsed (which i highley dout) i'll make a topic telling the scratch team to put back the text bassed games and you know what i'm going to have a lot of upset scratchers agreeing with me. so dude i suggest that you delete this topic befor i ask the scratch team too.   mad

oh and 17 scratchers agreed with you big woop there is pobally over 100,000 scratch members!

<when green flag clicked>
<forever>
      Keep text based games alive!

<end>

List of people that agree with me:

TheoMarr
Mentharos
sciencegal78
wiimaster
J0j2
sumarai768
Survivorduck
petvet300
masterhand7
throughthefire

Please post this into your signature if you agree:

Code:

A suggestion: [url=http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23720]I suggest that Text Based Games should stay.[/url]
If you're one of the people who agrees with me, copy and paste this into your signature.

Last edited by martianshark (2009-10-07 23:15:43)

http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=martianshark&amp;uid=e6cdc2c8-2476-4abd-9994-27f857396579&amp;bg=1

#2 2009-09-30 09:46:50

archmage
Scratcher

Re: Text Based Games Should Stay!

I have never heard any one who was the power to delete forums say that they wanted the forum deleted.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#3 2009-09-30 09:56:20

TheoMarr
Scratcher

I totally agree! If they removed it I would quit and not come back until they put it back because I think it's a really good section. And it's veeeery fun too.

#4 2009-09-30 11:22:56

Mentharos
Scratcher

agreed ALL HAIL THE POWER OF NERDY RPGING

http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23152 Its my RPG click it or what ever just look at it please  smile
Can some one make me a siggy i want it to involve my RP chars sword Knightfall. Knightfall looks like a buster sword made from obsidian  big_smile

#5 2009-09-30 14:24:11

sciencegal78
Scratcher

i think those nine people should just back off a bit. so they can be irritated, thats fair but if they start saying were ignorant (like said in my little white box up there) then thats not! we are playing in a forum that is following the rules! why are they treating us like we started a thread called "violent things that are not appropriatte for this website?" (lol) wow, some people think theyre so mature when they call people names
sad

I suck at scratch. Waaaa.

#6 2009-09-30 14:35:12

Mr_X
Scratcher

Some of them think theyre mature when theyre acting like little kids
If you're reading this and assume I'm talking about you then I probably am, but if not, then it's someone else

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8656/exveemonc.gif The rules of the internet:
1) Every woman is a man    2) Every man is a child    3) Every child is an FBI agent                                        I have psychopathic tendencies. Be afraid

#7 2009-09-30 22:45:03

martianshark
Scratcher

Please post this into your signature if you agree.

Code:

A suggestion: [url=http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23720]I suggest that Text Based Games should stay.[/url]
If you're one of the people who agrees with me, copy and paste this into your signature

Last edited by martianshark (2009-09-30 22:51:33)

http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=martianshark&amp;uid=e6cdc2c8-2476-4abd-9994-27f857396579&amp;bg=1

#8 2009-10-01 00:22:44

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Please argue in my topic instead if you have anything to say. We don't want any more topics to take care of.

archmage wrote:

I have never heard any one who was the power to delete forums say that they wanted the forum deleted.

Paddle2See, cheddargirl and MyRedNeptune are on my list. Paddle2See is one of the Scratch Team, while cheddargirl and MyRedNeptune are forum moderators (though I don't know if they can remove forums).

I can easily plow through your reasons and give answers, martianshark.

1. They're fun. Now, things can be fun, but prepare for what I have said over and over without anyone grasping the point: The Scratch Forums are for helping other Scratchers, suggesting things, reporting bugs, and most definitely not for playing games. Since the Scratch Forums aren't about games, the games shouldn't be in the Scratch Forums. If you want fun, do something fun somewhere else.

2. They can keep you from being bored when you're waiting for a reply from another forum. This is the best reason I've ever heard (which is actually quite weak). So you people think that you have to have something to take off the waiting? Do you mean that whenever we wait for trains, wait for a delivery, wait for the internet to connect, you need something to occupy you? That isn't neccessary. Sure, you may get bored, but there's a much better thing to do when you're waiting for a reply: Browse the forums! Check out the Suggestions, read what's up in All About Scratch, see the new bugs being reported in TroubleShooting; just be helpful to the Scratch Community! Which do you think is better for it: playing games, or browsing ideas and giving your views?

3. If people want to spend all there time on it, there's nothing wrong with that. People are perfecly allowed to waste their lives playing those games. But we don't like it when you have to play in a forum that's designed for helping the Scratch Community instead of for games. If you want to waste your lives, please do it in a different place. Thank you.

4. If it gets deleted, Inspiration and More will just become a text based games forum. That may happen if everything goes untouched, but we have forum moderators. They will close and delete the topics (and you can always report them asking them to close or delete them). And if people still post those games, the moderators can put a sticky up. And it only takes a few minutes a day to close the games that pop up. So don't worry.

5. Everyone will get mad, and several people will quit. In a way, I hope this happens. We'll be left with the dedicated Scratchers who care about the Scratch Community. And you and the others will quit. Of course, we welcome you to stay and become a useful Scratcher...

6. If MIT wanted to get rid of it, they would. This sounds good, but it's basically saying "The Scratch Team put up Suggestions because they couldn't think of anything". They have Suggestions so you can suggest things including changing something that they had done in the past. You may give them a few more facts about it, and they might change their minds.

7. Some people have only things like DSis, so pretty much the only thing they can do is text based games. This is actually quite silly. If people can post in the Text-Based Games, they can also post in the other forums. Which means they can still be a useful Scratcher.

Sorry, but I think your ideas aren't that sensible.

Instead of making new topics, please argue in my topic. We don't need any more topics, and the Scratch Team will be viewing mine, since it's in the Suggestions. And you want to make a point to the Scratch Team, don't you?

Thanks for giving your views, martianshark. They're really helpful.  smile

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2009-10-01 00:23:36)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#9 2009-10-01 00:25:52

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Why don't you go through the 24 quotes in my topic post and choose the ones you want to quote? I'm sure you'll find plenty.  smile

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2009-10-01 00:29:47)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#10 2009-10-01 00:28:59

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

A question that cheddargirl has been wondering:

If you think the Text-Based Games shouldn't be deleted, can you tell us what it does to help the Scratch Community?

If there's nothing that it helps for, then it should be deleted. And quite honestly, I think there's nothing.

No answers can be things like "It's fun" or "It gives people higher morale". Those don't help the Scratch Community.

-Charlotte Brontë

#11 2009-10-01 08:48:23

06dknibbs
Scratcher

I think they should partly stay. But something needs to be done to help stop the easy spams etc:  hmm

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/Untitled-3-6.jpg

#12 2009-10-01 10:06:10

archmage
Scratcher

I am pretty sure only andres or jay or people who coded scratch can make new forums. Regular mods ie. cheddergirl, lanie, have no power over that. I am not sure if paddle2see can but he would definitely need andres' permission.

Also, whatever happens to that forum should also happen to inspiration and more because they are too similar.

Hi, I am Archmage coder extraordinaire. I do Scratch,pascal,java,php,html, AS2 and AS3. Leave me a message if you want coding advice. Also check out my personal website, lots of good stuff about web development, Flash, and Scratch (v1 and v2) !

#13 2009-10-01 13:24:30

TheoMarr
Scratcher

archmage wrote:

I am pretty sure only andres or jay or people who coded scratch can make new forums. Regular mods ie. cheddargirl, lanie, have no power over that. I am not sure if paddle2see can but he would definitely need andres' permission.

Yeah I think the only ones that can edit the forums are marked as "ScratchR". Yeah so I don't think cheddargirl or any other forum moderator would be able to delete the text-based games, however they are there for a reason: To help and direct ordinary people as well as admins. Paddle2See, lightnin etc. MIGHT be able to edit the forums but I agree they would need permission from andresmh.

#14 2009-10-01 16:13:13

martianshark
Scratcher

#15 2009-10-01 16:36:48

wiimaster
Scratcher

i agreee! add me to the list, please

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss286/wiimaster1/Wiimaster_zps107dca4c.gif

#16 2009-10-01 17:47:56

martianshark
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

1. They're fun. Now, things can be fun, but prepare for what I have said over and over without anyone grasping the point: The Scratch Forums are for helping other Scratchers, suggesting things, reporting bugs, and most definitely not for playing games. Since the Scratch Forums aren't about games, the games shouldn't be in the Scratch Forums. If you want fun, do something fun somewhere else.

And what's the reason we can't do it on Scratch?

2. They can keep you from being bored when you're waiting for a reply from another forum. This is the best reason I've ever heard (which is actually quite weak). So you people think that you have to have something to take off the waiting? Do you mean that whenever we wait for trains, wait for a delivery, wait for the internet to connect, you need something to occupy you? That isn't neccessary. Sure, you may get bored, but there's a much better thing to do when you're waiting for a reply: Browse the forums! Check out the Suggestions, read what's up in All About Scratch, see the new bugs being reported in TroubleShooting; just be helpful to the Scratch Community! Which do you think is better for it: playing games, or browsing ideas and giving your views?

Games are more fun, of course. There really is nothing wrong with playing some games while waiting for a reply.

3. If people want to spend all there time on it, there's nothing wrong with that. People are perfecly allowed to waste their lives playing those games. But we don't like it when you have to play in a forum that's designed for helping the Scratch Community instead of for games. If you want to waste your lives, please do it in a different place. Thank you.

Why does it matter where people waste their lives? If TBGs exist, that's a good place to do it.

4. If it gets deleted, Inspiration and More will just become a text based games forum. That may happen if everything goes untouched, but we have forum moderators. They will close and delete the topics (and you can always report them asking them to close or delete them). And if people still post those games, the moderators can put a sticky up. And it only takes a few minutes a day to close the games that pop up. So don't worry.

But there would be lots of spam and games in other places. It would be too much for the moderators to handle, and even if they could handle it, it would be a lot of work for them.

5. Everyone will get mad, and several people will quit. In a way, I hope this happens. We'll be left with the dedicated Scratchers who care about the Scratch Community. And you and the others will quit. Of course, we welcome you to stay and become a useful Scratcher...

Nothing would be different in the other threads if they quit. True Scratchers would still post in the real threads, and the people that were simply trying to have some fun would quit. So what's the point in that? We don't want people to quit, even if they did only get an account for some forum games.

6. If MIT wanted to get rid of it, they would. This sounds good, but it's basically saying "The Scratch Team put up Suggestions because they couldn't think of anything". They have Suggestions so you can suggest things including changing something that they had done in the past. You may give them a few more facts about it, and they might change their minds.

That's what I'm doing right now.

7. Some people have only things like DSis, so pretty much the only thing they can do is text based games. This is actually quite silly. If people can post in the Text-Based Games, they can also post in the other forums. Which means they can still be a useful Scratcher.

But if they can't use the actual Scratch program (which by the way, is what Scratch is about, NOT the forums), then what's the point of using the other forums?

I think that the idea of deleting TBG is just plain dumb, and there would be a lot of trouble if it happened.

#17 2009-10-02 00:33:29

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

martianshark wrote:

Jonathanpb wrote:

And what's the reason we can't do it on Scratch?

Games are more fun, of course. There really is nothing wrong with playing some games while waiting for a reply.

Why does it matter where people waste their lives? If TBGs exist, that's a good place to do it.

But there would be lots of spam and games in other places. It would be too much for the moderators to handle, and even if they could handle it, it would be a lot of work for them.

Nothing would be different in the other threads if they quit. True Scratchers would still post in the real threads, and the people that were simply trying to have some fun would quit. So what's the point in that? We don't want people to quit, even if they did only get an account for some forum games.

That's what I'm doing right now.

But if they can't use the actual Scratch program (which by the way, is what Scratch is about, NOT the forums), then what's the point of using the other forums?

I think that the idea of deleting TBG is just plain dumb, and there would be a lot of trouble if it happened.

1. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. NO ONE GRASPS THIS, NO MATTER HOW MUCH I EXPLAIN! THE SCRATCH FORUMS ARE FOR SCRATCH! NOT FOR GAMES! Please...
2. You have a point, but honestly, tell me which is more important: playing games while you wait for a reply, or browsing the forums and being helpful?
3. People are perfectly allowed to waste their lives. We just wish the Text-Based Games wouldn't be here because it isn't relevant to Scratch. And surely you can waste your lives on different websites that are made for games?
4. It only takes a few minutes a day to remove the spam. If people don't learn, there can be stickies. If they still don't, the forum moderators can just spend five minutes a day clearing it out. Not a few hours.
5. If the users quit, we would be left with a complete 100% helpful Scratch Community. Don't we all want that?
6. You're not doing that. The Text-Based Games still exist. I am doing that.
7. They might not be able to use the Scratch program, but honestly, I would rather be a helpful Scratcher in the forums instead of just playing games. It's actually more fun for me.

Tell me: do you believe that the Text-Based Games are irrevelant to the Scratch Forums and don't belong there? And does the Text-Based Games help the Scratch Community?

I want an answer.

You seem to think that trouble would occur if the Text-Based Games were deleted. Did you ever think about how long it would last? Probably only a few days... and at most a week. And the new forum users would never know.

-Charlotte Brontë

#18 2009-10-02 00:44:07

adriangl
Scratcher

There are so many topics on this and it really is spam. The Scratch Team will delete it or keep it and there is nothing you can do. Get over it.

Scratchin' since 2007

#19 2009-10-02 00:49:39

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

I wish they could argue in the Suggestions topic! The Scratch Team will view that more and we don't need any more topics!

Is it allowed to report this toipc explaining that people should argue in the Suggestions topic?

Here's the link: I suggest that the Text-Based Games be deleted.

-Charlotte Brontë

#20 2009-10-02 02:05:19

Chrischb
Scratcher

Right, let's get this settled.

1. They're fun. This is not what the forums are for! If you want fun, find a different forum. This is a Scratch Forum, and it will stay a Scratch Forum. And cheddargirl said brilliantly that people have been turning to the Text-Based-Games as an entertainment source rather than programming. If you use Scratch just for the forums, find a different site.
2. They can keep you from being bored when you're waiting for a reply from another forum. If that can, so will helping other people in the other forums!
3. If people want to spend all their time on it, there's nothing wrong with that. It's their problem, yes, but why should we stand by it? They can waste their lives somewhere else. Once again, find a different forum. You can still use this one, but play games on a different forum.
4. If it gets deleted, Inspiration and More will just become a Text-Based-Games forum. Why can't the moderators treat them as they do chatrooms? If someone creates a chatroom, it gets closed. Why not? People will learn not to start games.
5. Everyone will get mad, and several people will quit. So? We will be left with a bunch of loyal, helpful Scratchers and the forums will be a better place. I (and the rest of us) don't want people to quit. It's a sad thing, but if that's all they use the forums for, we're better off without them.
6. If MIT wanted to get rid of it, they would. Sure! But it's up to andresmh and the rest of the Scratch Team to change it, but they never read the Suggestions anyway. If you're wondering why we've bothered to suggest it, have a think; If you don't ask for it, you won't get it.
7. Some people have only things like DSis, so pretty much the only thing they can do is text based games. Once again, find a different forum.

Last edited by Chrischb (2009-10-02 02:06:09)

I fall: It's a tragedy. You fall: It's comedy.
Hmph enjoy your fall - I get a lovely spring... without pans of new leaves.

#21 2009-10-02 04:05:19

Paddle2See
Scratch Team

Chrischb wrote:

6. If MIT wanted to get rid of it, they would. Sure! But it's up to andresmh and the rest of the Scratch Team to change it, but they never read the Suggestions anyway. If you're wondering why we've bothered to suggest it, have a think; If you don't ask for it, you won't get it.

The Scratch team does read Suggestions...and are very interested in this discussion.  So if you have an opinion, please let it be known.  Try to keep to the established threads though so the argument doesn't get too spread out.  Thanks  smile

http://i39.tinypic.com/2nav6o7.gif

#22 2009-10-02 08:01:26

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

Jonathanpb wrote:

cheddargirl and MyRedNeptune are forum moderators (though I don't know if they can remove forums).

No.

Jonathanpb wrote:

Paddle2See is one of the Scratch Team

Paddle2See is not exactly part of the "Scratch Team" since he isn't at MIT, he only has Administrator rights on the website, and most of his job is moderating the website. And discussing stuff with the Scratch Team.

I believe they are the only ones who can make decisions.

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#23 2009-10-02 10:20:31

adriangl
Scratcher

This is really getting annoying! As far as we know, TBG will stay! There is no problem with it and it actually prevents spam on other threads. If there was a real reason to delete TBG and this discussion was going on, the Scratch Team might actually consider deleting TBG. But, that isn't happening. So like I said, get over it!

Scratchin' since 2007

#24 2009-10-02 13:27:54

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

The Scratch team is analyzing this issue and will come up with a solution in collaboration with the forums moderators. Stay tuned.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#25 2009-10-02 13:59:21

Mr_X
Scratcher

Lol you said that like a tv show announcer

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8656/exveemonc.gif The rules of the internet:
1) Every woman is a man    2) Every man is a child    3) Every child is an FBI agent                                        I have psychopathic tendencies. Be afraid

Board footer