This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2009-09-29 02:36:23

Jonathanpb
Scratcher

Why I want the Text-Based Games deleted (for all you ignorant people)

I am tired of people saying to me "You hate fun! What's wrong with playing games?".

They are ignorant.

This is here so all of the ignorant people can see why I suggested this.

Why do I call these people ignorant? Because they haven't read the reasons why the Text-Based Games should be deleted! I know because they act as if they haven't!

samurai768 wrote:

Just try and find Jonathanpb's topic about what and what not to do in the text based forums.

This is just ridiculous. Nowhere in my topic have I said anything like "The Text-Based Games should be removed because people are mean to each other". The only spot you could see that would be in the section of the topic post where I quoted all of the agreeing posts. So that's something, samurai768. Don't think you know everything. When you posted that topic called "Enjoy this forum while it LASTS!", you thought you knew everything. Now you know that you were ignorant.

The seven reasons about why the Text-Based Games should be deleted (and why we don't care if you don't have your fun):
1. The Scratch Forums are for helping people, suggesting things, reporting bugs, and things like that. Not for playing games. All of you ignorant people don't seem to grasp this.
2. Some people only have an account so they can play games in the forums. This is horrible. If you don't think so, chances are that you're one of those poor people.
3. Forum moderators have to moderate the Text-Based Games. If the forum weren't there, they would have more time to moderate other forums. This will help keep the forums free of spam and bad stuff. You non-moderator people probably don't care about the waste of time. The moderators do.
4. People might view other parts of the forums instead of the Text-Based Games. They might actually view interesting things, and hopefully contribute to the Scratch Community (instead of wasting your lives).
5. If they want to RPG or play games, they could use a project or a gallery. And they'll be able to actually see something (whether one project or several).
6. Most of the posts are in the Text-Based Games and not in useful spots where we like them.
7. The Text-Based Games are an easy way to get 50 posts for a signature. You Text-Based Games addicts probably will be able to get 50 posts in a day.

Well, well, well. I hope you're not ignorant any more. You actually know about why I've suggested this, so why don't you agree and get added to the list of supporters?

archmage
cheddargirl
Chrischb
coolstuff
dav09
deatheater
demosthenes
ElPapa
fireball123
floppy_gunk
illusionist
Jonathanpb
LSUUSA
Maki-Tak
MyRedNeptune
Paddle2See
pinochio
ScratchScripter
TheSaint

Hope this helps you people,
Jonathanpb

Last edited by Jonathanpb (2009-09-29 03:07:39)

"Human beings... must have action; and they will make it if they cannot find it.
-Charlotte Brontë

#2 2009-09-29 05:53:24

06dknibbs
Scratcher

Re: Why I want the Text-Based Games deleted (for all you ignorant people)

At first I thought the text-based games wer'e ok, I was neither with or against. Although I am starting to see the problems with them. Still, there may be some other solutions than just making them disapear into a big void of nothingness.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/Untitled-3-6.jpg

#3 2009-09-29 06:02:55

deatheater
Scratcher

umm... Jonathanpb http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23571 <--- that's the post Samurai768

Proper text based games etiquette

#4 2009-09-29 10:30:46

BWOG
Scratcher

That Many People Support It???????? I Think It's A Horrible Idea!!!!!

#5 2009-09-29 11:18:58

Mr_X
Scratcher

Paddle supports it? Why isn't it gone then

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8656/exveemonc.gif The rules of the internet:
1) Every woman is a man    2) Every man is a child    3) Every child is an FBI agent                                        I have psychopathic tendencies. Be afraid

#6 2009-09-29 15:55:51

06dknibbs
Scratcher

Mr_X wrote:

Paddle supports it? Why isn't it gone then

This would probably be because the Scratch team listens to others opinions  smile

Say the Scratch team didn't like something on the site, but thousands of others did. They would probably look at whether it is causing "major" harm to the point where nobody can stand it any more or whether it is a slight annoyance that could somehow be resolved.

Besides, think of all the spam threads that would appear elsewhere containing these games if they just vanished without any notice.

http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp129/06dknibbs/Untitled-3-6.jpg

#7 2009-09-29 16:05:14

steppenwulf
Scratcher

I support your idea.  smile  I would've told you earlier, but I saw your thread late,and it was closed. I don't think they should be deleted completely however, rather, they should be moved to their own web page, off of Scratch.

Last edited by steppenwulf (2009-09-29 16:05:33)

I'm graduating HS this April and going to college in the Fall.

#8 2009-09-29 16:24:36

Pokemaster12
Scratcher

I disagree entirely. It's not fair to punish the people who follow the rules. Also, it's a little ignorant to say we waste our lives. I think this category should stay.

http://dragcave.net/image/rlqM.gifhttp://dragcave.net/image/5RHl.gifhttp://dragcave.net/image/dfll.gifhttp://dragcave.net/image/tfIY.gifPlease click them!

#9 2009-09-29 16:29:22

JaggedJoystick
Scratcher

If you want the TBG deleted then why did you take the time to post Proper Text-Based Games Ediquette?

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu259/The-Whiz_photos/Picture50.png

#10 2009-09-29 16:30:17

RobotKitty
Scratcher

Well you only have 19 approvers, There is about 360,187 members that (I guess) disapprove.

Everyone's argument is invalid. Your argument is invalid.

#11 2009-09-29 16:32:26

floatingmagictree
Scratcher

JaggedJoystick wrote:

If you want the TBG deleted then why did you take the time to post Proper Text-Based Games Ediquette?

Good point.
John, even though I completely agree with you, you're acting like a gigantic hypocrite.

Last edited by floatingmagictree (2009-09-29 16:32:44)

#12 2009-09-29 19:15:16

technoguyx
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

7. The Text-Based Games are an easy way to get 50 posts for a signature. You Text-Based Games addicts probably will be able to get 50 posts in a day.

Then, posts on this section shouldn't be counted for the total. This can be done on InvisionFree, but I'm not sure if it can be done on, well, whichever is the forum engine used by our forums.

All reasons you posted are valid, yet I still don't support - you can just ignore this category and let people do what they want. If they remove this category, we'll see a bunch of games under Inspiration and More and that's why they created this category, to keep the Text-based games separate.

Last edited by technoguyx (2009-09-29 19:16:35)

http://getgnulinux.org/links/en/linuxliberated_4_78x116.png

#13 2009-09-29 19:22:18

Warhunter
Scratcher

BWOG wrote:

I so agree with u!

HIVE
please take your time and have a play. Features: Auto-saved data, Various Achievements, Smooth Movement, Different enemies with different behaviors, 3 difficult bosses, Score system, Credits, and EPIC MUSIC.

#14 2009-09-29 19:26:56

adriangl
Scratcher

I agree with this, but I need to tell you something.

Jonathanpb wrote:

The Scratch Forums are for helping people, suggesting things, reporting bugs, and things like that. Not for playing games.

It's not for playing games. But the Scratch Team made it. Get what I am trying to say? But just to be clear, I still agree that it should be deleted.

Last edited by adriangl (2009-09-29 19:27:25)

Scratchin' since 2007

#15 2009-09-29 19:52:20

sciencegal78
Scratcher

if you wanna complain about text based games, dont make lots of threads complaining. maybe you could just let people do what they want. if you dont like them, just ignore them! its just to entertain you if your waiting for someone to reply to your question.

I suck at scratch. Waaaa.

#16 2009-09-29 20:05:11

Food-dude
Scratcher

NEVER! i lovee this topic!

http://iaza.com/work/100209C/BananaCid93944.gifhttp://iaza.com/work/100209C/045865.gif

#17 2009-09-29 20:06:52

RobotKitty
Scratcher

Warhunter wrote:

BWOG wrote:

I so agree with u!

Me three.

#18 2009-09-29 20:09:15

deatheater
Scratcher

sciencegal78 wrote:

if you wanna complain about text based games, dont make lots of threads complaining. maybe you could just let people do what they want. if you dont like them, just ignore them! its just to entertain you if your waiting for someone to reply to your question.

1. Johnathanpb has only mad two topics

2. It's ok when they use it just to wait for a reply to another post, but lots of people, spend pretty much their whole time in tbg

#19 2009-09-29 20:28:53

martianshark
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

The seven reasons about why the Text-Based Games should be deleted (and why we don't care if you don't have your fun):
1. The Scratch Forums are for helping people, suggesting things, reporting bugs, and things like that. Not for playing games. All of you ignorant people don't seem to grasp this.

But you can still do things like that too. The Text Based games are just for having some fun.

2. Some people only have an account so they can play games in the forums. This is horrible. If you don't think so, chances are that you're one of those poor people.

I'm not one of those people, and I don't see why it's horrible. If they want to play all the time, there's nothing wrong with that.

3. Forum moderators have to moderate the Text-Based Games. If the forum weren't there, they would have more time to moderate other forums. This will help keep the forums free of spam and bad stuff. You non-moderator people probably don't care about the waste of time. The moderators do.

It's the moderaters' job to moderate the forums, and it's pretty easy for them to moderate it anyway, because they don't have to browse through every forum. The bad posts are automaticly shown to them.

4. People might view other parts of the forums instead of the Text-Based Games. They might actually view interesting things, and hopefully contribute to the Scratch Community (instead of wasting your lives).

I kind of agree with that, but this could be solved if text based games didn't count on your post count.

5. If they want to RPG or play games, they could use a project or a gallery. And they'll be able to actually see something (whether one project or several).

But the forum is easier to use to play games, because you can edit your post, it shows the posts in order instead of backwards, you can post pictures, you can delete your post, and more.

6. Most of the posts are in the Text-Based Games and not in useful spots where we like them.

What do you mean?

Once again, text based games simply shouldn't count for your post count.

http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=martianshark&amp;uid=e6cdc2c8-2476-4abd-9994-27f857396579&amp;bg=1

#20 2009-09-29 20:34:20

deatheater
Scratcher

1. But when people spend their whole time in tbg

2. If they want to play all the time go to an mmorpg site

4.If tbg didn't count on your post count, people would still spend all their time in tbg

5.or as suggested in number 2

#21 2009-09-29 20:38:03

RobotKitty
Scratcher

Jonathanpb wrote:

Now that I look at it, I think Scratch in general is a waste of life.

#22 2009-09-29 21:05:21

samurai768
Scratcher

Why must you call me ignorant?

I understand why you want this forum closed, and I just was kinda having a bad day when I said that stuff in your topic.

I know you werent directly calling me ignorant, (Unless you were o.O jk) but I was just alittle offended.

#23 2009-09-29 21:15:55

littletonkslover
Scratcher

Pokemaster12 wrote:

I disagree entirely. It's not fair to punish the people who follow the rules. Also, it's a little ignorant to say we waste our lives. I think this category should stay.

I agree with Pokemaster12. I totally agree to say we waste our lives on TBG. What if I said that your hobbies were a waste of time. Not good. Am I right?

http://www.coxlab.org/images/rat_banner.jpg
That's the dark nature of capitalism. ~ Wonder Showzen

#24 2009-09-29 22:00:56

J0j2
Scratcher

Well. I do certainly think you bring up quite an interest point. I do not agree with most of your reasons. I do think people should not join scratch just for the forums. But I also feel that text is a thing that can easily be trasferred in to a game and a gallery for 'oh dear you are ____' or '1000 posts! We can do it!' is exactly appropriate. We cannot put a limit though on people but text based games are just fun. Anyway, isn't that what scratch is about?  smile

Happiness is a habit. You can help the world practice happiness a little more. Visit the 'Happiness List' below and post a list of 100 things that make you happy!
http://i.imgur.com/dMpk2.jpg?1?4499

#25 2009-09-29 22:09:40

Alphazulu
Scratcher

That's rude to call people ignorant! Just cause it's your opinion doesn't mean other people are ignorant for their opinions!

Board footer