This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-12-01 14:50:46

JSO
Community Moderator

....:::: Translation to Dutch for scratch 1.2 ::::....

I have translated scratch to Duch. (for scratch 1.2).

I know there already is a translation (in the beta), but it does not includes the interface and the toolTips (they appear when you hold the mouse over a button). Mine does.

You can try the translation, and say what you think about it.

Get translation file (nl.po)

Last edited by JSO (2007-12-02 04:04:13)

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2v1q0e9.jpg

#2 2007-12-01 17:22:57

evhan55
Scratcher

Re: ....:::: Translation to Dutch for scratch 1.2 ::::....

JSO wrote:

I have translated scratch to Duch. (for scratch 1.2).

I know there already is a translation, but it does not includes the interface and the help boxes (they appear when you hold the mouse over a button). Mine does.

You can try the translation, and say what you think about it.

Get translation file (nl.po)

Hi JSO,

The nl.po file that will ship with Scratch today does already translate the interface.
How are you translating the help boxes?

Evelyn

I love Scratch!  big_smile
my creative outlet

#3 2007-12-02 04:05:14

JSO
Community Moderator

evhan55 - excuse me, "help boxes" is the wrong word for that. Now I know the word for it in English!
I mean the ToolTips. The small help witch appears when the mouse is over a button for a few secconds.

(I've corrected my first post)

And the help file - maybe i can try to translate, or maybe not (i think it's a lot of work).  And if a help translation will be created for all the languages, it will maybe becomes much too big in filesize
And i cannot translate until i have the real translation for Scratch  smile . And i cannot tranlate the PDF's because i do not have the tools for it...

Thanks for including a part of my translation!

Joren

Last edited by JSO (2007-12-02 04:35:53)

#4 2007-12-10 12:22:59

evhan55
Scratcher

JSO wrote:

evhan55 - excuse me, "help boxes" is the wrong word for that. Now I know the word for it in English!
I mean the ToolTips. The small help witch appears when the mouse is over a button for a few secconds.

(I've corrected my first post)

And the help file - maybe i can try to translate, or maybe not (i think it's a lot of work).  And if a help translation will be created for all the languages, it will maybe becomes much too big in filesize
And i cannot translate until i have the real translation for Scratch  smile . And i cannot tranlate the PDF's because i do not have the tools for it...

Thanks for including a part of my translation!

Joren

Hi Joren,

Is it ok with you if I move this post to the new Scratch Translation forum?

That way, if others have feedback about the Dutch translation, they can read this post.
Please let me know if this is ok with you, thank you!

Evelyn

I love Scratch!  big_smile
my creative outlet

#5 2008-06-26 06:19:25

JSO
Community Moderator

No problem,

I already did  big_smile

#6 2008-07-29 05:35:58

vinex
Scratcher

Just aiming to revitalize this post...

I would like to start by saying that I really appreciate the effort that is made to provide multi-lingual interfaces for Scratch.

Knowing that Scratch 1.2 has a translated interface in Dutch, why would anybody wish to attempt translating it themselves (e.g. Joren)?

Analyzing the translation (and comparing it the the English 'original'), I see a number of reasons:

1) The Dutch translation of the blocks currently misses the 'fluidity' of the english original. This is best illustrated by comparing IF statements in both languages.
2) Some things have not been translated. I assume some have been left out by mistake (e.g. the Share! button, the 'rest' block), and some things are probably left untranslated on purpose (e.g. the entries for the musical instruments - even though these really do need translating IMHO)
3) There are number of grammatical errors, incorrectly translated terms, and spelling mistakes.

If Scratch is to succeed with a Dutch speaking audience, the translation probably needs to improve on these three points. This is crucial to:

a) Get the students going that are not comfortable using the Enlish interface, especially the younger kids.
b) Convince (possibly skeptical) teachers that Scratch is a worthy tool. Any mistakes in the translated interface might be used as an excuse to dismiss it.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Cheers,

Gijsbert

#7 2008-07-29 22:03:19

JSO
Community Moderator

Vinex,

You describe the reason why I tried to translate Scratch to Dutch very well - however, i think I started translating before 1.2 was out, and there was no Dutch translation in 1.1 or earlier.

Especially the thing you describe as "fluidity" is a major issue when translating Scratch.

For example,
The sentence "IF my score IS 100 THEN ..." is correct, however
"ALS mijn score IS 100 dan..." seems to be aa very "unsmooth" translation. However, I don't really see any way around it...

#8 2008-07-30 04:08:55

vinex
Scratcher

Hi Joren,

Good to see you again.

On the fluidity: I think I have a suggestion or two to make...

Given the fact that there seems to be a 1.3 beta out there (suggesting we will have a new version in the near future), now seems to be as good a time as any to try and improve on the translation and possibly include it in the 1.3 version

The 1.3 version would also be a very good occasion to deliver a Dutch interface to the Scratch website. Anybody working on that?

Gijsbert

#9 2008-07-30 22:18:48

JSO
Community Moderator

vinex wrote:

Hi Joren,
The 1.3 version would also be a very good occasion to deliver a Dutch interface to the Scratch website. Anybody working on that?
Gijsbert

I actually am working on that.

Maybe we could work together - I will share the .po file later. I'm still in the US...

#10 2008-07-31 16:46:59

vinex
Scratcher

Sounds good.

I am heading south for two-odd weeks to enjoy the holidays in Italy.

Be in touch after that.

Gijsbert

#11 2008-08-29 03:33:28

vinex
Scratcher

Hi Joren,

I am back on-line. What next step(s) do you suggest in getting the Scratch UI 'properly' translated into Dutch?

Cheers,

Gijsbert

Board footer