This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.
  • Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » i'm starting a school scarch club,what do i do

#1 2007-11-11 17:38:54

adriangl
Scratcher

i'm starting a school scarch club,what do i do

i am running a computer class for my classmates and i am supose to teach them how to use scratch.what should i do

Scratchin' since 2007

#2 2007-11-11 18:30:50

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Re: i'm starting a school scarch club,what do i do

I'm moving this to the "Educators" forum, where this sort of question gets addressed a lot.
You should probably read as much of that forum as you can stand, to get an idea what resources are available and what other people have done in the same situation.

Your case is a bit unusual, in that you will be teaching kids your own age---most of the posts have been from adults or from kids teaching younger kids.

It usually helps to have the kids see some simple demo projects (like the ones that come with scratch), then have them try to modify some of the (most of the kids in my tech club started by editing costumes, then gradually got into doing animations or games).

#3 2007-11-11 20:20:11

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

adriangl, it's great that you're teaching your classmates! That's a great way for you to learn even more about Scratch.

If I were you, I would just show them something very simple in Scratch. Like how to move the cat back and forth on the screen and how to change the cat to something else.

Then show them a project you made and a project you really like.

Then let them explore on their own and ask you questions.  Maybe you will not know some of the questions, but you can try solving the problems with them and say "well, when I don't know something I try this or that..." I often don't know how to do things so I just try multiple things or ask other people that know more than me.

Oh and please tell us how the session went!

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#4 2007-11-11 20:42:56

Lanie624
Scratcher

Thats cool Adriangl thats great that you're teaching your classmates!! ooh did you check out my new harry potter project it is called Hogwarts Student Creator  http://scratch.mit.edu/projects/Lanie624/51537

smile

#5 2007-11-11 21:42:25

adriangl
Scratcher

i am going to know how it went on friday,that is the day i give the 1st class(sesion)

Scratchin' since 2007

#6 2007-12-28 06:06:21

redware
Scratcher

I started writing notes for educators/trainers and then realised that what is needed is sample projects that the trainers understand and can help the children build from scratch. My first documented project is a game called fish! and may be useful to you. I am trying it out at our computer club later this term.

http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2709

Stamati Crook
http://www.redware.com/scratch

#7 2007-12-28 06:53:24

MyRedNeptune
Community Moderator

I'm hoping to teach my classmates to Scratch, but I'll have to wait untill it supports Cyrillic letters to translate it to Russian...  smile

Last edited by MyRedNeptune (2008-01-03 04:26:34)

http://i52.tinypic.com/5es7t0.png I know what you're thinking! "Neptune! Get rid of those filthy advertisements and give us back the Zarathustra siggy, you horrible person!" Well, don't worry about it, the Zara siggy will be back soon, new and improved! ^^ Meanwhile, just do what the sig tells you to. >.>

#8 2008-01-02 15:45:44

nate2
Scratcher

adriangl wrote:

i am running a computer class for my classmates and i am supose to teach them how to use scratch.what should i do

Lucky... I wish my school made scratch into a class...

Hello! I am a medium programmer who enjoys slacking off and eating chocolate. I am a human being (obviosly) and my star sign is gemini, which means i am obviosly way cooler then you if you read this WHOLE SIGNITURE!!! Lol!

#9 2008-01-17 18:29:00

randomdude
Scratcher

My school has made us do a Scratch project assignment, where she would mark our Scratch project (with a written part about the scripts, of course)! But the sad thing is that this Scratch assignment is going to be shutdown. I'm not sure why but all I know that its due to some students, I think, are harassing another user. I really want the Scratch assignment to not be banned.

#10 2008-01-18 06:08:14

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

randomdude: I think your teacher already contacted us and we are trying to figure out the issue of the harassing messages. I personally think there is not much difference between leaving a nasty note on a piece of paper on someone's locker and posting a nasty project or comment directed to someone. Both actions are not good but not because of that you are going to ban pen, paper and lockers. I hope we can help your teacher solve the issue without disclosing personal information.

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#11 2008-08-13 20:38:13

swatweb
Scratcher

I am so happy to hear that more students are taking the lead in supporting their classmates and friends to learn more about technology. I will be leading a Scratch forum called Students Working To Advance Technology to support students like you.
Please also tell your teacher or school administrator about www.swatweb.net which is a program designed to help teachers organize an after school technology program to train students as technology leaders for their school.

#12 2008-08-23 20:50:50

ashbyr1
Scratcher

Helping Scratch clubs get off the ground is exactly the reason I set up the Creative Media League.  It's obviously not up to full speed yet, but perhaps you'd like to check it out now and in the future for updates. Having started a Scratch Club last year, I've got two reccomendations. 

First, recruit well. Scratch is not just for computer geeks. Scratch is a great stage for artists, musicians, actors, photographers, models, writers, programmers, and team leaders. That's one reason I talk about the club in terms of Creative Computing or Creative Media rather that programming.  I also emphasize that it's great for creating animations as well as games.  This year I'm also going to hype the periodicals that are produced through Scratch.  Try posters that advertise to each valuable skill set.

Second, ask for help.  Teach two people how to make gravity, or a bullet, or an animated bat, and then ask each of them to teach it to everyone else.  Otherwise you'll be running around like a headless chicken.

Last edited by ashbyr1 (2008-08-23 20:52:41)

Learn the basics with these video tutorials.
Or nominate an All Star Animation.

• Index
  •  » Educators
  •  » i'm starting a school scarch club,what do i do

Board footer