This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#51 2009-01-24 09:07:35

Wizard13
Scratcher

Re: ITopic: scratch on linux

I installed scratch_1.3.1-0.6_i386.deb in Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10.
It works so far, but I have no sound. How can I resolve this?
Is there an option that I could pass in Gnome shortcut so as to load with my preferred language and not having to change it everytime?

#52 2009-01-27 03:04:45

abee
Scratcher

Hi Wizard13,
Please check my previous comment to rcodinap.
If you have a problem after do that, let me know detailed information.

Cheers,
Kazuhiro Abe

#53 2009-02-03 21:51:02

enri16
Scratcher

I have a prehistoric Scratch in my laptop Linux  cool

#54 2009-02-16 12:20:52

aklaver
Scratcher

My experiences with Scratch and MIDI.

Hardware:
Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop

Software:
Kubuntu 8.04
Timidity 2.13.2-19ubuntu1
    Fluid SoundFont 3-0ubuntu1
Scratch 1.3.1-0.9.tar.gz
Kmid

Change in /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg:
#source /etc/timidity/freepats.cfg
soundfont /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2

Midi ports available:
aplaymidi -l
Port    Client name                      Port name
14:0    Midi Through                     Midi Through Port-0
128:0    TiMidity                         TiMidity port 0
128:1    TiMidity                         TiMidity port 1
128:2    TiMidity                         TiMidity port 2
128:3    TiMidity                         TiMidity port 3

By default MIDI files are played through port 14:0 which goes nowhere and does
nothing. When I used Kmid, if I just played a file I got no sound. When I went
into the settings and changed the MIDI port to 128:0 I got sound. Opening
Scratch and playing a MIDI file also resulted in no sound. My guess is that it
is sending output to port 14:0. I could not figure a way to get Scratch to
output to a Timidity port to test theory. Hope this helps.

#55 2009-02-17 12:26:30

jelkner
Scratcher

I am hugely interested in a working scratch on Ubuntu.  I'm a high school teacher in Arlington Virginia.  I'm currently exploring Scratch with several of my students, and we will be offering Scratch classes as Summer enrichment to 4th to 6th graders.

I will need to run it on Ubuntu systems, and am hopeful that such things as sound and image morphing are working by Summer.

#56 2009-02-20 10:45:13

Lightnin
Scratch Team

aklaver wrote:

My experiences with Scratch and MIDI.
Opening Scratch and playing a MIDI file also resulted in no sound. My guess is that it
is sending output to port 14:0. I could not figure a way to get Scratch to
output to a Timidity port to test theory. Hope this helps.

Hey aklaver - I looked into it and came to some similar conclusions.  The solution may lie in getting the Squeak virtual machine (on which Scratch runs) to connect to timidity on port 128.  If anyone knows squeak / smalltalk stuff, we could use some help looking further into the issue.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#57 2009-02-20 11:25:59

Lightnin
Scratch Team

jelkner wrote:

I am hugely interested in a working scratch on Ubuntu.  I'm a high school teacher in Arlington Virginia.  I'm currently exploring Scratch with several of my students, and we will be offering Scratch classes as Summer enrichment to 4th to 6th graders.

I will need to run it on Ubuntu systems, and am hopeful that such things as sound and image morphing are working by Summer.

Welcome jelkner!

The scratch team recently released a (relatively) new testing package for Ubuntu 8.10 - available here:

http://info.scratch.mit.edu/Linux_installer

The latest package should resolve the image morphing issues.  Sound is a bit trickier.  Note that sound playback and sound recording work when Scratch is installed on Ubuntu 7.10 and Fedora. On Ubuntu 8.10 Scratch sound playback / recording does not work with the default ALSA sound system. Playback should work if you force the use of the OSS plugin by starting Scratch this way:

/usr/share/scratch/App/squeak -plugins /usr/share/scratch/Plugins -vm-sound-OSS /usr/share/scratch/Scratch.image "${@}"

Recording still will not work, and neither will the midi and drum blocks.  This is just a temporary fix and we hope to have more of these issues worked out in the next release of the package.

Help Scratchers make the leap to 2.0!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/6844/transitionteam.jpg

#58 2009-03-31 03:52:36

Inkstand
Scratcher

Whew... I think I'm in over my head here... but I'll have a go at explaining my problem.
I've just brought a Eee PC 701 with Linux (Xandros, I think), and desperately need Scratch on it. So I have downloaded the "scratch 1.3.1_0.9-4_i386.deb" file and put it on my Eee, unzipped it (after fiddling around with it for an hour or two), I even managed to install it via the Command Prompt thing, and now have it sitting in My Documents... and now I'm well and truely lost.

When I try to open it in the Command prompt, it says squeak requires 'GLIBC_2.4'.
When I try to find the Scratch program amongst my directories (because it says it's installed) and can't find it  sad

I'm new to Linux, and not sure whether my system can even run it, but it would be a massive help if someone could suggest something.

Thanks,
Inkstand  smile

"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to sat of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true." - Aristotle
"I don't apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am."  - Homer Simpson

#59 2009-04-02 12:51:56

Bokonon
Scratcher

Hi Inkstand -
You might take a look at and post questions on this thread about Scratch on the eeepc:
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/post.php?tid=21
Also, I don't know if you are interested, but I had an eeepc on which I installed easy peasy - a version of Ubuntu customized for netbooks.  This was a while ago so I never tried the Scratch installer, but I imagine it would probably work.
http://www.geteasypeasy.com/

Hope this helps!

#60 2009-04-02 14:26:39

porroto
Scratcher

well Nice to here there is people working on this projects!  I would like to know if there is a 64 bits architecture for scratch! how can I participate to build it_    tongue  thanks for sharing.

#61 2009-04-06 06:21:43

SnowyLasPinadas
Scratcher

Hey,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck in managing to get a copy of Scratch to run on a Linux PPC version? I tried the .deb installer but it of course gave the wrong architecture message when the package installer ran. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10  on an iBook G4, which has general problems doing anything normal like installing WINE or virtualisation environments or that sort of thing. Any advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated, i'm not hugely experienced on Linux though.

Snowy

#62 2009-04-07 18:54:06

Bokonon
Scratcher

porroto wrote:

well Nice to here there is people working on this projects!  I would like to know if there is a 64 bits architecture for scratch! how can I participate to build it_    tongue  thanks for sharing.

Haven't heard of one yet, but it should be possible. Scratch Runs on a Squeak virtual machine, and just from a quick search it looks like some folks are working on a 64 bit version. Here's one place to start:
http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/faq.html

If you can get a 64 bit Squeak VM working, Scratch *should* work just fine.

#63 2009-04-07 19:00:22

Bokonon
Scratcher

SnowyLasPinadas wrote:

Hey,

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck in managing to get a copy of Scratch to run on a Linux PPC version? I tried the .deb installer but it of course gave the wrong architecture message when the package installer ran. I'm running Ubuntu 8.10  on an iBook G4, which has general problems doing anything normal like installing WINE or virtualisation environments or that sort of thing. Any advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated, i'm not hugely experienced on Linux though.

Snowy

I think if you can get a Squeak virtual machine setup, then you should be able to load and hopefully run the Scratch image. Haven't heard of this being done before, but if you give it a go let us know what happens.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/powerpc/squeak-image3.9

There's more info about Scratch and Squeak here:
http://scratch.wik.is/Source_Code

#64 2009-04-08 02:33:28

Inkstand
Scratcher

Bokonon:
Thanks for your help. I installed Easy Peasy on my Eee and it works amazingly well. Much better, thanks  big_smile  I also installed Scratch on it, but the screen was much too small to do properly use it. Any chance I can fix this? No rush, I'm much happier with my Eee now anyway, just though it might be possible to change the magnification or something.
Again, thanks heaps for your help. Much appreciated  big_smile
Inkstand

"To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to sat of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true." - Aristotle
"I don't apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am."  - Homer Simpson

#65 2009-04-19 14:46:00

mschlager
Scratcher

recent squeak-vm, unicode and quitting squeak

running Scratch (linux-installer) on ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04

In order to get unicode working i had to replace the included squeak-vm by a recent squeak-3.10-vm. This way unicode works nicely, but the vm does not allow closing the Scratch-window with the x-icon nor with Alt-F4. This is a crucial problem since I'm running Scratch at school on linux-machines. This is a feature, not a bug, as I was told by squeak-developers - honestly i do appreciate this feature since it prevents data-loss by closing the window unintentionally.

Could you please(!) add a quit-button to the interface (as Etoys does have). Due to this I'm still using Scratch-1.2 at school since this doesn't bother about unicode, whence I can use an older squeak-vm.

#66 2009-04-19 14:51:30

jamie
Scratcher

Does anyone that uses Linux really care about "Easy to use"?

Check out my flash game site at http://subgaming.net/

#67 2009-04-20 06:52:32

SnowyLasPinadas
Scratcher

Bokonon wrote:

SnowyLasPinadas wrote:

Hey,

Snowy

I think if you can get a Squeak virtual machine setup, then you should be able to load and hopefully run the Scratch image. Haven't heard of this being done before, but if you give it a go let us know what happens.
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/powerpc/squeak-image3.9

There's more info about Scratch and Squeak here:
http://scratch.wik.is/Source_Code

Thanks for the reply Bokonon!! I followed your advice and got a copy of the Squeak VM set up (which was easily done via Synaptic), I also loaded a Squeak UI that appeared on my programs list, which didn't get me very far, that could well be due to my lack of knowledge about how to use it though  smile 

I followed some information on another forum post about downloading, unzipping and running a WinScratch.zip package (unzip, move to new directory and "./Scratch.image") and have a development environment load, initially with errors saying that a primitive has failed listing.... and doing this during a lot of things and not really running at all other than the UI. I followed some advice given further on the page:
http://scratch.mit.edu/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6207
And tried to do the converting rpm to .deb process with alien, however that got grouchy about the PPC architecture (which i should have expected)
I've tried downloading the latest source code and trying to initiate the image file from a terminal as such

snowy@snowy-laptop:~/scratch-1.3.1-0.9-3/scratch$ sudo ./Scratch.image
sudo: ./Scratch.image: command not found

as you can see that didn't go too well either. I don't know if it's meant to though, I really am new to Linux (although experienced on windows), I was trying what had got the UI to load with the WinScratch package that I downloaded. I tried the same with the package shown at the top of the page you linked me to about scratch and squeak too.

snowy@snowy-laptop:~/ScratchSource1.3.1$ sudo ./ScratchSourceCode1.3.1.image
sudo: ./ScratchSourceCode1.3.1.image: command not found

Am I actually starting it in the way suggested? Should I be opening from inside the squeak UI thing on my programs menu? If so could you point me to some instructions on how to do that? I'm out of ideas  smile

Thanks!!

#68 2009-05-01 12:59:39

Bokonon
Scratcher

mschlager wrote:

recent squeak-vm, unicode and quitting squeak

running Scratch (linux-installer) on ubuntu 8.04 and 9.04

In order to get unicode working i had to replace the included squeak-vm by a recent squeak-3.10-vm. This way unicode works nicely, but the vm does not allow closing the Scratch-window with the x-icon nor with Alt-F4. This is a crucial problem since I'm running Scratch at school on linux-machines. This is a feature, not a bug, as I was told by squeak-developers - honestly i do appreciate this feature since it prevents data-loss by closing the window unintentionally.

Could you please(!) add a quit-button to the interface (as Etoys does have). Due to this I'm still using Scratch-1.2 at school since this doesn't bother about unicode, whence I can use an older squeak-vm.

Hi mschlager,
Scratch 1.4 is currently in beta, and once it is released for Windows and Mac we hope to release a version for (Ubuntu) Linux soon afterwards. 1.4 does have the ability to close built into the UI. 
Although it's not the most elegant of solutions, some folks that have this problem with the current version use CTRL- Q to close it.

#69 2009-05-01 13:23:57

Bokonon
Scratcher

Hi SnowyLasPinadas,
It's a tough problem...
Here's what I recommend as a start, but it probably won't work perfectly.  I did this on an i386 machine with Ubuntu 9.04. Hopefully it will translate!

Install squeak-vm with synaptic. (Should be in the repositories, more info at link below)
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/powerpc/squeak-vm/1:3.9.8-3ubuntu3

Download and unpack the Scratch zip file here:
http://download.scratch.mit.edu/WinScratch1.3.1.zip

cd to the directory that has Scratch.image in it.

Type the following:
squeakvm -plugins /Scratch.app/Contents/Resources Scratch.image

This won't have sound, but might make a start.
If there are other problems, you may need a newer version of the Squeak Virtual machine than the one available in the ubuntu repositories.  You could try setting one up from here:
http://www.squeak.org/Download/

Good luck!

#70 2009-05-06 09:28:11

SnowyLasPinadas
Scratcher

Hey thanks again for the detailed response Bokonon  smile 

I've moved to 9.04 myself in the interim and have followed through your guide. Scratch is pretty much working! I get a few errors which are kind of workable:

This appears every time I load Scratch (using the instructions you gave):

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/sunshineandrainbows/Screenshot-UntitledWindow.png

Everytime I try to open, save, start a script, stop a script I receive two errors in a row (which i click proceed to) This is an example of the first one when i click the new button:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/sunshineandrainbows/Screenshot-UntitledWindow-2.png

which is followed by:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/sunshineandrainbows/Screenshot-UntitledWindow-1.png

Things seem to function pretty well other than the numerous error windows so this is a good start  smile  I'm not sure if these are Squeak or Scratch problems? Incidentally, i've really been enjoying using Scratch and hope to use it with some students in future, so thanks for your help getting me on track!!

#71 2009-05-06 11:29:04

fahim007
Scratcher

simulation emprunt immobilier

It is a nice post. I got it very useful. Thanks!

#72 2009-05-09 09:50:03

vergz
Scratcher

I have bookmarked this forum because it interests me.  I found here great information about Scratch.  Will try it.  Great post. Good Job gentlemen.

Simulation pret immobilier

#73 2009-05-16 10:02:08

joker202
Scratcher

<move(  )steps><turn cw(  )degrees><point in direction( <go to x sad   )y sad  <glide(  )secs to x sad   )y sad

#74 2009-05-17 09:34:40

tandrew
Scratcher

I have an Asus Eee 1000 running Linux.  I've been able to install Scratch using the perl installer, but have a couple of things I haven't been able to figure out.

1)  The Scratch environment window is too big for the screen.  I cannot figure out how to get it to resize - the mouse will not allow the sides to be dragged  and the full screen button gives the same size window as the resizeable one.

2)  I want to set this up on my daughters' machines, too, but would like to put an icon in the Learn tab on the desktop.  Any idea how to do this?  I tried an older version of Scratch that installed this automatically, but then didn't start the software when clicked, so I know it can be done but have yet to figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any and all help!

#75 2009-05-17 09:52:23

fruit
Scratcher

tandrew wrote:

I have an Asus Eee 1000 running Linux.  I've been able to install Scratch using the perl installer, but have a couple of things I haven't been able to figure out.

1)  The Scratch environment window is too big for the screen.  I cannot figure out how to get it to resize - the mouse will not allow the sides to be dragged  and the full screen button gives the same size window as the resizeable one.

2)  I want to set this up on my daughters' machines, too, but would like to put an icon in the Learn tab on the desktop.  Any idea how to do this?  I tried an older version of Scratch that installed this automatically, but then didn't start the software when clicked, so I know it can be done but have yet to figure out how to do it.

Thanks for any and all help!

1) Scratch 1.4 Will work better on small screens.
2) I don't know how to solve that...

@savi3000 | hcsmp.com

Board footer