This is a read-only archive of the old Scratch 1.x Forums.
Try searching the current Scratch discussion forums.

#1 2007-11-06 01:36:27

Jens
Scratcher

award winning Scratch introduction

I just stumbled upon an award winning introductory course for German highschool students by a certain Ralf Romeike called

Designing Animations and Games - A Creative Introduction to Programming
     About flying Elephants, Dogs, Cats and Ideas!

Here's the link: http://www.funlearning.de (German and English versions)
and here's the press release about the award (German only): http://www.uni-potsdam.de/pressmitt/2007/pm193_07.htm

It comes complete with materials and sample projects.

Jens Mönig

#2 2007-11-06 20:02:07

ElMikkino
Scratcher

Re: award winning Scratch introduction

sad  Why does it have to be in German...WHY?!
<when[ link  ]clicked>
<forever>
<play sound[ waaaaaaaaaaah!

Certified Bunnay Agent
--------ElMikkino-----------

#3 2007-11-07 02:01:16

Jens
Scratcher

They've got an English translation to it. Some parts of that English translation, however, were translated by Google (they are marked as such) and therefore extremely weird (or funny for that matter)...

Jens Mönig

#4 2007-11-07 08:31:20

Ralf
Scratcher

Hi Jens,
thanks for posting the link.
Indeed I was happy that the course was awarded.
I am in the process of translating the page to English now and was going to send the link afterwards to Jay and Co. who wanted to include it somewhere at the Scratch-Website later.
Sorry for the pardly bad English, I dont have much time at the moment and just was doing it in the run the last days. Feel welcome to correct any mistakes. I hope to solve the Google translation issue soon...  smile
@ElMikkino the link to English is in the upper left corner of www.funlearning.de.
Greetings, Ralf

#5 2007-11-07 09:22:04

Jens
Scratcher

Hi Ralf,
I didn't know it was you ;-) Congratulations!

Jens Mönig

#6 2007-11-07 15:15:48

Lanie624
Scratcher

Jens so do we have to make German projects and post them here? If so i will make some I know pretty much in German since i take it in High School!  i can introduce myself: (for beginners) I know Lots more though!!

Guten Tag! Ich HeiBe Lanie624!! ( pretend the capital B is the fancy B that means two s's) Wie heiBt du? Ich bin vierzehn Jahre alt. Wie alt bist du? Ich Komme aus U.S.A ! Bist du aus Deutschland? or Woher Kommst du? or other ways are Wo whonst du? Ich wohne in United States!!!  In my German class in the book we study from the main Character is Jens!!

Last edited by Lanie624 (2007-11-07 15:16:52)

smile

#7 2007-11-07 15:54:29

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

Ich kann auch ein bisschen Deutsch verstehen, weil ich auch Deutsch in Schule gelernet habe.  Aber dass war in 1971, und ich habe nicht genug geuebt.

Last edited by kevin_karplus (2007-11-07 16:39:48)

#8 2007-11-07 15:59:20

Lanie624
Scratcher

I can understand also a little German because I learned also German in school.  But that in 1971 was practiced, and I  know enough.  - cool!! told ya i could translate people

smile

#9 2007-11-07 16:40:29

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

The last sentence should be "But that was in 1971, and I haven't practiced enough."

#10 2007-11-07 16:47:15

andresmh
Scratch Team at MIT

You should see Ralf's business cards...  it has Scratch blocks!

Andres Monroy-Hernandez | Scratch Team at the MIT Media Lab
on identi.ca and  twitter

#11 2007-11-07 19:08:47

Lanie624
Scratcher

ooh sorry i forgot to do sentence structure again!!

smile

#12 2007-11-08 02:00:16

Jens
Scratcher

Wow, there are so many people speaking German in this forum! I've also seen a lot of Scratch projects using German. These used to have a UTF-8 problem in the online version, though, scrambling special characters. I don't know if that has been fixed yet.

I learned English when I lived in NY and went to jr. high school there, and when I interned in a law firm in OK. I was also a programmer for IBM once (longtime ago...).

I really enjoy the Scratch community being so internationally diverse. Where else can you share creative ideas with people from Hungary (I'm a big fan of their projects!), Isreal, Russia (Hi, MyRedNeptune!) Saudi Arabia, the Dominican Republic, Great Britain (one of the largest and most active user groups in my perception), Mexico, Ireland, Norway, Poland, France, Canada, Iceland, Italy, the US and so many more countries. I also enjoy the Scratch community being so age tolerant. Where else can you find projects collaboratively done and commented by children and adults alike.

That's why I prefer corresponding in English in this forum, because most members know it at least a little and are able to chime into discussions and comments, without having to feel shut out.

I do, however, look foreward to every German project (and I like yours, Lanie624), and would like to see even more of them. Also, I think Scratch projects dealing with forgeign languages and countries (such as numbers, names, cities, history etc.) are a fantastic way get involved and extend what you've learned in school!

Jens Mönig

#13 2007-11-08 06:33:30

Lanie624
Scratcher

In school im in German 1 course but ive been getting A's and B's and im getting the hang of it and im really enjoying it! I want to visit other countries so i can learn more, mainly Great Britain because i want to move there when im older!

Im gonna make more projects in German and maybe start a foreign language gallery were people  can add there own projects that deal with teaching there own language they speak or just plain project with the dialog in there language   smile  ( ooh i took the German project down because im going to fix it and add sound! )

smile

#14 2007-11-08 11:53:01

chalkmarrow
Scratcher

Ausgezeichnet, Ralf! I really enjoyed studying German when I was in high school (a language I selected because me and my future-engineer friends considered it the most logical -- though Latin would have been a better choice for law school), but unfortunately I've forgotten everything except a few verbs. So when I see a line like "Scratch ist eine neue Entwicklungsumgebung," I immediately run to Babelfish...

#15 2007-11-08 16:26:25

kevin_karplus
Scratcher

I agree with Jens that English has become the standard language for international communication, both in business and in science, so the dominant language in this forum should be English.  It is useful to know that there are a lot of members of the community speaking many languages.

If you have to ask a question in another language, because you can't phrase it clearly in English, feel free to do so. Someone may be able to answer in your own language (at least, I've seen Spanish, Portugese, and German on the forums).  Of course, your projects can be in any language that you can get Scratch to support.

#16 2007-11-09 10:05:20

johnm
Scratcher

Hi, Jens.

Jens wrote:

These used to have a UTF-8 problem in the online version, though, scrambling special characters. I don't know if that has been fixed yet.

This will be fixed by Scratch 1.2.

We are gradually improving the Scratch support for other languages. Scratch 1.2 will be better at handling accented characters but it will still only support the Latin character set and within Scratch file names with accented characters may not display correctly. A future version of Scratch will have full support for UTF-8, including non-Latin character sets.

-- John

Board footer